Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In pre-announcement video, John Kasich wants you to know that if you're not satisfied with anyone else, he'd be OK with you voting for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PqA6S7rMnk

He also cites John Tower as a "great thinker". Close! Tower was certainly great at something that rhymes with "thinking".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
His father was a mailman. They called him John the mailman.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe one day the USA will reign in its use of military power. Until then, I guess we should just poo poo all over POWs.
:goonsay:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Joementum posted:

In pre-announcement video, John Kasich wants you to know that if you're not satisfied with anyone else, he'd be OK with you voting for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PqA6S7rMnk

He also cites John Tower as a "great thinker". Close! Tower was certainly great at something that rhymes with "thinking".

Kinda failed to mention his tenure at Lehman from 2001 to 2008. Hmm, wonder why. Seems a shame that John "I was governor during a national recovery and an auto industry bailout" Kasich wouldn't put that notch on his belt, too.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not sure what kind of person willingly volunteered to go to Vietnam but I imagine they were either insane or heavily brainwashed like kids who think it's noble to go die in the middle east today.

Then you have the outright psychos like Chris Kyle.

Or smart. If your draft number was low, volunteering let you choose which branch you went into. My dad volunteered so he could pick the navy since you at least get three hots and a cot on a boat.

He came back with PTSD and shot himself in the brain in front of my mom and me, but I guess he got what was coming to him and so did I.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Donald Trumps message about an ineffective inexcusable VA should really resonate with you. People drone on about hero POWs but ignore the heroes who come home. Trump says they're all heroes who deserve special treatment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe one day the USA will reign in its use of military power. Until then, I guess we should just poo poo all over POWs.

I mean making GBS threads over McCain for being a bad pilot and having admiral dad+admiral grandad granting immunity to career ending mistakes is one thing but jfc.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 20, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean making GBS threads over McCaine for being a bad pilot and having admiral dad+admiral grandad granting immunity to career ending mistakes is one thing but jfc.

Calling out nepotism doesn't really seem like a good idea though

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

mlmp08 posted:

You shouldn't spit on volunteer veterans, but it's worth honestly recognizing what they are - people who were willing to kill (or support the killing of) people to promote US political interests in exchange for a paycheck. The POWs among them simply happened to get caught while trying to kill people. That doesn't seem like anything particularly worth of any sort of veneration, but to each their own, right?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Quantum Finger posted:

Or smart. If your draft number was low, volunteering let you choose which branch you went into. My dad volunteered so he could pick the navy since you at least get three hots and a cot on a boat.

He came back with PTSD and shot himself in the brain in front of my mom and me, but I guess he got what was coming to him and so did I.

gently caress, man. :smith:

Trump really needs to say some more horrid stuff to get us off this depressing topic.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You shouldn't spit on volunteer veterans, but it's worth honestly recognizing what they are - people who were willing to kill (or support the killing of) people to promote US political interests in exchange for a paycheck. The POWs among them simply happened to get caught while trying to kill people. That doesn't seem like anything particularly worth of any sort of veneration, but to each their own, right?

That is certainly an interesting and accurate perspective. I remember hearing a speech in technical school (I was an electronics technician) designed to try to weed out anyone who was a conscientious objector (though by that time in training you'd have had plenty of time to quit already): "no matter what your job or your rank, the reason you are here and purpose of this organization is to kill people and break things because someone told you to". At the time it's easy to just shrug off as any other thing you have to listen to while waiting for liberty call, but it's true enough.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But don't we also need to be conscious of the social and political factors that made reasonable and intelligent people willing to kill or support killing? That seems more useful to me long-term than just writing off literally millions of people as bloodthirsty villains.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chantilly Say posted:

But don't we also need to be conscious of the social and political factors that made reasonable and intelligent people willing to kill or support killing? That seems more useful to me long-term than just writing off literally millions of people as bloodthirsty villains.

Similarly, I presume the primary reason people choose to work for a for-profit organization isn't a desire to further enrich its owners.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

I can't handle jump scares this early wtf.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Chantilly Say posted:

Absolutely, and that comes back at least in part to the lionization and glorification of those doing the killing. A reexamination of that may help, after all, these people are not bloodthirsty villains but likely actually saw signing up to be professionals for the pointy end of American foreign policy as a moral decision.

Veterans should absolutely get all the medical, psychological, etc support they need - like everyone else - but elevating them as heroes in situations outside of national defense is an odd choice for any reason other than recruiting more people to follow in their path.

mlmp08 posted:

Similarly, I presume the primary reason people choose to work for a for-profit organization isn't a desire to further enrich its owners.

No, they do it (among other reasons) to enrich themselves - hence the paycheck.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Thump! posted:

gently caress, man. :smith:

Trump really needs to say some more horrid stuff to get us off this depressing topic.

Don't feel too bad, he had really bad political opinions.

E: At least he couldn't bring himself to vote for Clayton Williams!

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 20, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
Why are people saying Trump tried to claim McCain wasn't heroic? I mean, he specifically says he was heroic, Trump just said he didn't like him because he also saw him as incompetent. Which is kind of hosed up, since he justified that incompetence as "he got captured", but it seems perfectly and reasonably in line with the Trump brand of "I don't like failures" and it's no surprise his supporters don't seem to care.

And he's lucky he said it, because it's completely overshadowing a significantly more genuine weakness he displayed. Trump isn't religious. Like, at all.

In my opinion, that is gonna end up being the thing that burns him... or it's going to end up wedging a gap between the evangelical and business/spite bases.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was sitting in the auditorium when he said that.

I'm less worried that he said it, and more worried that he got WAY more laughs and cheers than gasps and boos. Every time he dumped on McCain, the crowd LOVED it.

It was REALLY uncomfortable.

But here was us! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffdaiQ73GM

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

Why are people saying Trump tried to claim McCain wasn't heroic?.

Because Trump explicitly said McCain is not a war hero and not in the nuanced way where you call into question Americans' propensity to call all troops heros.

He walked it back somewhat later.

E: if Trump's opinion of those are get captured is so low, I wonder what he thinks of the dead.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 20, 2015

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Trump doesn't need God. Trump is better than God.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jastiger posted:

I was sitting in the auditorium when he said that.

I'm less worried that he said it, and more worried that he got WAY more laughs and cheers than gasps and boos. Every time he dumped on McCain, the crowd LOVED it.

It was REALLY uncomfortable.

But here was us! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffdaiQ73GM

It wasn't way more. More like half and half. I think it was more telling the reaction to Perry calling out Trump was a half hearted applause.

It was pretty great walking around during the breaks and listening in on conversations. The mental gymnastics they were doing to convince themselves about what trump said about his religion and McCain was just fine was amazing.

If anything the crowd giving Jindal and Cruz 5 standing ovations was crazy.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 20, 2015

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Mr Hootington posted:

It wasn't way more. More like half and half.

It was pretty great walking around during the breaks and listening in on conversations. The mental gymnastics they were doing to convince themselves about what trump said about his religion and McCain was just fine was amazing.
Right now the big thing for Republican voters is immigration. Trump says what they want to hear and they're willing to be single-issue voters on that.

The thing that worries me is that there are a hell of a lot of Democrats who agree with Trump about it too. Trump is truly a uniter, not a divider.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I figured Trump's religion was "Get Money". That's it. No nuance or anything, just get richer.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

It wasn't way more. More like half and half. I think it was more telling the reaction to Perry calling out Trump was a half hearted applause.

If anything the crowd giving Jindal and Cruz 5 standing ovations was crazy.

I was sitting up high and my buddy and I got the distinct feeling of support on his statements there. The only other big pop Trump got was when he called all immigrants criminals and the like. But you're right, its pretty scary that the people were all for these terrible positions.

We wore the #Atheistvoter shirts and we got the stink eye everywhere we went, so that was a lot of fun. They automatically assumed we had more in common with Muslims and were quick to rail against them when challenged on religious dominionism.

Its pretty scary as well when the Family Leader literally says "We want Christianity in government". Their goal isn't religious liberty, its complete subjugation of a people through the Bible. Bad stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Axolotl posted:

Right now the big thing for Republican voters is immigration. Trump says what they want to hear and they're willing to be single-issue voters on that.

The thing that worries me is that there are a hell of a lot of Democrats who agree with Trump about it too. Trump is truly a uniter, not a divider.

Sure is but telling an auditorium full of evangelicals that you haven't asked God for forgiveness and getting away with it is pretty mind boggling.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Thump! posted:

I figured Trump's religion was "Get Money". That's it. No nuance or anything, just get richer.

There's probably a element of "gently caress Bitches" to it as well.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
^^^ :argh: ^^^

Thump! posted:

Based on the number of marriages he's had, I'd argue "gently caress bitches, get money" may be more accurate.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Mr Hootington posted:

Sure is but telling an auditorium full of evangelicals that you haven't asked God for forgiveness and getting away with it is pretty mind boggling.
I have a lower opinion of evangelicals and the sincerity with which they hold their beliefs than you do.

I'd honestly say that I think a lot of evangelicals are more about "gently caress the gays, the muslims, liberals, etc" than about spreading the word of Jesus Christ, except when they're using it to poo poo on the above groups.

Axolotl fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 20, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

quote:

Speaking to reporters here Saturday after an appearance at the Family Leader Summit, Walker said the next president will need to be prepared to take aggressive action against Iran, “very possibly” including military strikes, on the day he or she is inaugurated, and said he would not be comfortable with a commander in chief who is unwilling to act aggressively on day one of a new presidency. In his announcement speech at the beginning of the week, Walker had promised to 'terminate' the Iran deal on day one of his presidency, and Bush, at a town hall four days later, said ending the deal on the first day of a new administration was unrealistic and suggested that promises to do so, while politically appealing, reflected a lack of seriousness

Sure, let's start more war. On day one.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jastiger posted:

I was sitting up high and my buddy and I got the distinct feeling of support on his statements there. The only other big pop Trump got was when he called all immigrants criminals and the like. But you're right, its pretty scary that the people were all for these terrible positions.

We wore the #Atheistvoter shirts and we got the stink eye everywhere we went, so that was a lot of fun. They automatically assumed we had more in common with Muslims and were quick to rail against them when challenged on religious dominionism.

Its pretty scary as well when the Family Leader literally says "We want Christianity in government". Their goal isn't religious liberty, its complete subjugation of a people through the Bible. Bad stuff.

I was down in row 21 of the lower level and the folks around there were very mixed. Actually heard a vet two rows down say he wanted to show trump what a hero could do.

The looks are better if you do not wear anything confrontational and tell them in a middle of a conversation that you are atheist or a democrat. The eye bugging out, looks of disgust and changes in tone of voice are a sight and sound to behold. They can not eject fast enough from the conversation.

Was this your first fray into evangelical land? Cause this was the tip of the hate iceberg.

The inly scary moment I thought was the openly gay man asking Perry a question. Was worried how that might go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
I wonder if Trump is eventually going to say something along the lines of "McCain wouldn't have even been captured under my watch - he would have been fired after the first plane he crashed through his own stupidity!"

I wonder how many conservatives are sick of having to kowtow to the religious right and might actually be attracted by Trump being ambivalent about religious concerns.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"The dude" volunteered to join a navy that brutally and systematically bombed the poo poo out of Vietnamese civilians. He flew missions in Vietnam, participating in the bombing himself and likely killing innocent people. Who cares how he conducted himself when he got captured? What he was doing there in the first place was inexcusable, and makes him anything but a hero. That word gets tossed around too much, especially for people going to other peoples' countries to kill them.

I try really hard to avoid the cancerous, extremist threads and forums on this site but I fear that this post may have just given me a tumor

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, they do it (among other reasons) to enrich themselves - hence the paycheck.

How much bigger was McCain's paycheck because he refused early release for propaganda purposes?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
trump is right that there are a lot of other war heroes who were ignored because they were not just pows with powerful daddys

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Axolotl posted:

I have a lower opinion of evangelicals and the sincerity with which they hold their beliefs than you do.

I'd honestly say that I think a lot of evangelicals are more about "gently caress the gays, the muslims, liberals, etc" than about spreading the word of Jesus Christ, except when they're using it to poo poo on the above groups.

I come from a family of and held these same beliefs for close to 20 years. I can say through my interactions that many of the people on the bottom do hold sincere beliefs and just twist it so that Jesus' teachings allow them to be awful people.

Now most at the top are shits who use religion to get power and money.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Mr Hootington posted:

The inly scary moment I thought was the openly gay man asking Perry a question. Was worried how that might go.

How did that end up going?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Love Stole the Day posted:

I try really hard to avoid the cancerous, extremist threads and forums on this site but I fear that this post may have just given me a tumor

I wouldn't sweat it too much. making GBS threads all over grunts for the horrors created by ideology and economics is intellectually lazy and nobody cares what dumb babies who do that have to say.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

mlmp08 posted:

President Taft would like to have a word with you from beyond the grave: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ybQBL5O3pY

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Axolotl posted:

Ask any evangelical about expanding healthcare or charity or praying in public, obesity, they all do a awful lot of cherry picking about their incredibly sincere religious beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Love Stole the Day posted:

President Taft would like to have a word with you from beyond the grave: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ybQBL5O3pY

I missed the part where he said "also gently caress you if you fight in a war and lol only losers get caught and tortured."

• Locked thread