Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Liking this team. Looking at the following for a final rollout:

Monk with !Rapidfire: Black Garb, Black Cowl, Hermes Sandals.
Summoner with !Mix: Wizard Rod, Black Robe, Gold Hairpin, Hermes Sandals.
Ranger with !Rapidfire: Chicken Knife, Black Garb, Black Cowl, Hermes Sandals.
Chemist with !Summon: Air Knife, Black Robe, Circlet, Hermes Sandals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Good, finally got through the crystal guardians.

Really sucks that the only damage was possible was through aeroga or !jump. Really wished I grinded more in World 1 for flame rings.

Oh well, some day I'll have Big Guard, and dragon whiskers, and maybe a dragon lance.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

NGDBSS posted:

What's the usual procedure for getting a new job with the job fair? I've tweeted and donated, but I wasn't certain if I should send some sort of link with it or a picture of my email receipt.

I'm not sure but you can always check your player page at the official site, or tweet Gilgabot with #myjobs

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Poque posted:

Liking this team. Looking at the following for a final rollout:

Monk with !Rapidfire: Black Garb, Black Cowl, Hermes Sandals.
Summoner with !Mix: Wizard Rod, Black Robe, Gold Hairpin, Hermes Sandals.
Ranger with !Rapidfire: Chicken Knife, Black Garb, Black Cowl, Hermes Sandals.
Chemist with !Summon: Air Knife, Black Robe, Circlet, Hermes Sandals.

What's the deal with the Rapidfire/Chicken Knife thing? How does it work/what makes it good compared to bow usage?

Does Rapidfire give the monk extra punches instead of his usual attack?

I have Ranger/Monk but I'm only early in the game on my first playthrough so I'm interested how it functions.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

What's the deal with the Rapidfire/Chicken Knife thing? How does it work/what makes it good compared to bow usage?

I have Ranger/Monk but I'm only early in the game on my first playthrough so I'm interested how it functions.

Rapidfire shuts off the chicken knife effect. Chicken knife is the strongest weapon with 137 attack and it keys off of both strength and agility. Not sure about monks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Chicken Knife has a secondary effect that is basically a 25% chance to flee. Rapidfire disables a weapons secondary effects.

Monks automatically dual-wield their fists, so with Rapidfire you end up making 8 attacks. With Chemist there to boost the amount of damage each individual attack deals, it can get really powerful.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Finally finished triple crown run #4, Zerker/Ranger/Dragoon/Chemist. That run got progressively easier the longer I went and really killed my motivation for wanting to finish it. I happen to like Dragoon, and thought maybe I wasn't going to triple crown this until I got chemist. Then any difficulty disappeared because I had to grind to around 20ish to beat Byblos, so I was overleveled and had Chemist throughout all of world 2.

Not sure if I'm going to sign up for another run. Maybe later on.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Okay, thanks for that! I'll have to keep an eye out for this knife whenever it shows up

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Got bored with my current grinding and needed to do yard work do left my samurai to solo omniscient, only took 5ish hours!

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Came back to fiesta after a break. Decided to do a chaos run. I rolled all four of my jobs and am planning to hack them in. First roll :Beastmaster. Never used him but I think he'll be all right, especially if I roll a Blue Mage. Second roll: Geomancer, concerned but I still have two more rolls left. Third and fourth rolls? Yup. Geomancer. :suicide:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I forgot to get the map in the ghost ship in world 1. Massive calamity or no big deal? Played this once last year.

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD

redreader posted:

I forgot to get the map in the ghost ship in world 1. Massive calamity or no big deal? Played this once last year.

It shows up in various places throughout the game. Don't worry about it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Nethertribes posted:

It shows up in various places throughout the game. Don't worry about it.

Really? Where else? I've never missed it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ramc posted:

The Fireship for one.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Ramc posted:

It shows up at the Fire Ship in place of one of the Elixir chests. And if you skip it there too, it'll be in Surgate castle on the same table as the book that mentions a dude using !Lance as a mage. Neither of these spots are exactly missable, so you can go back and get it even if you go up to Exdeath at the end of the Rift.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Is there an enemy in the Rift that I can use to give me Float conveniently for the Catastrophe fight, or do I really have to leave and go back to North Mountain/Drakenvale for it?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is there an enemy in the Rift that I can use to give me Float conveniently for the Catastrophe fight, or do I really have to leave and go back to North Mountain/Drakenvale for it?
The Poison Eagle from Drakenvale shows up in a rare encounter in the waterfalls section of the Rift. I think it's the first screen.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Darkoni posted:

Came back to fiesta after a break. Decided to do a chaos run. I rolled all four of my jobs and am planning to hack them in. First roll :Beastmaster. Never used him but I think he'll be all right, especially if I roll a Blue Mage. Second roll: Geomancer, concerned but I still have two more rolls left. Third and fourth rolls? Yup. Geomancer. :suicide:

Well, all those "reduce HP to critical" Gaia moves will make it easy to Catch things.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Been a busy weekend but finally finished Run #16 (Beastmaster, Bard, Samurai, Dancer) with Triple Crown.

I went through all the trouble of winning a Dragon Whisker from Stingray and didn't even need it.

Starting run #17 soon as my victory is approved. Gonna keep trying until I get a Thief.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So far I have Knight, Mystic Knight and Ranger (but no ranger shard, lol). Is that a good party or a bad party?
Edit: I see a map on the fire ship but before and after completing the fire ship, I cannot for the love of god TAKE the map.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

This is a pretty big if for most teams in World 1.

Do offense-oriented Mixes have a hit rate or do they always hit if the target isn't immune? I haven't tried to fight a Prototype yet but I figure if the worst comes to the worst, I can use Succubus Kiss and/or break rods on them to take them down.

Some other misc. questions I have:

- If I use Aim on a Monk, will they still double-hit and do they still have a chance to score a critical?
- Some Mixes are based on HP. Is this total HP or current HP?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: ^^^ Mixes I think autohit, though it seems maybe not on iOS? The breath attacks depend on current HP.

redreader posted:

So far I have Knight, Mystic Knight and Ranger (but no ranger shard, lol). Is that a good party or a bad party?
Edit: I see a map on the fire ship but before and after completing the fire ship, I cannot for the love of god TAKE the map.

Mystic Knight and Ranger have murderous synergy, and I imagine knight could benefit from either other class's best abilities as well.
There's a side path you can in the ship that includes an elevator up to where the map is, check all the side paths in that first metal room.

E: VVV I don't know for sure but the form in which he's vulnerable is designed to be hilariously weak to everything so I wouldn't be surprised if the spell worked, and if not try break. You have to wait until it says "Powering up for Gigaflare!", though, use coral rings to survive until then (there's a free one in the room before the omega save point).

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 20, 2015

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've hit a wall against Twintania. Black/Zerk/Geo/Samurai... this is the first time I've encountered a boss that I can't race to death. Even Catastrophe sans-Float went down after two attempts. Everyone is level 40.

I've read that Twintania is vulnerable to instant death... will the Death spell eventually connect, or do I have to do try it through Death Sickles?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Leofish posted:

I've hit a wall against Twintania. Black/Zerk/Geo/Samurai... this is the first time I've encountered a boss that I can't race to death. Even Catastrophe sans-Float went down after two attempts. Everyone is level 40.

I've read that Twintania is vulnerable to instant death... will the Death spell eventually connect, or do I have to do try it through Death Sickles?

Best suggestion I can think of: give everyone Coral Rings and rush it while hoping for enough Tidal Wave counters to keep your team healthy. If he does live to phase two, take your own thought and try Death Sickles and Death, both of which should work, as well as Break.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Leofish posted:

Another way to do it besides coral rings is don't attack him and wait for him to charge, chugging hi potions as needed, though you'd have to kill your berserker so he doesn't trigger any counters. Once he starts charging, start casting death at him, it should have an 80% chance to hit.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Thief / Blue / MK / Dancer

Is there an easy and cool way to get past the crystal guardians with !Blue that I'm not seeing? Without !Control I don't have fun stuff like 1000 Needles, and Vampire and Flash miss a lot.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Huzzah! posted:

Another way to do it besides coral rings is don't attack him and wait for him to charge, chugging hi potions as needed, though you'd have to kill your berserker so he doesn't trigger any counters. Once he starts charging, start casting death at him, it should have an 80% chance to hit.

This worked. Thanks! I should have taken note of that book in Apanda's room. I didn't realize the vulnerability came during his charging phase. I was spamming Death on two characters while throwing money on the other and having the Zerk swing her axe around before and it wasn't working, and then my mages didn't survive long enough to get to Gigaflare.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Sax Solo posted:

Is there an easy and cool way to get past the crystal guardians with !Blue that I'm not seeing? Without !Control I don't have fun stuff like 1000 Needles, and Vampire and Flash miss a lot.
Four successful casts of Dark Spark ("success" will be kinda spotty) will bring one of them to level 4. At that point you can sling Level 4 Graviga twice and then alpha strike that particular crystal to get it out of the way without much incident. The only issue with this method is that it's rather costly on MP, so be prepared to use the Gold Hairpin and/or Ethers.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
My newest team (Run #6) is White Mage - Blue Mage - Ninja - Samurai. End game would it be best to have my ninja using a Twin lance and Chicken knife? Or gamble and use something better than the Twin Lance?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sax Solo posted:

Death Claw.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Seravadon posted:

My newest team (Run #6) is White Mage - Blue Mage - Ninja - Samurai. End game would it be best to have my ninja using a Twin lance and Chicken knife? Or gamble and use something better than the Twin Lance?

Your end game plan is to murder absolutely everything with no problems whatsoever.

(yes, Twin Lance + Chicken Knife for ninja, Masamune for Samurai)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Ghost-Slug posted:

Do offense-oriented Mixes have a hit rate or do they always hit if the target isn't immune? I haven't tried to fight a Prototype yet but I figure if the worst comes to the worst, I can use Succubus Kiss and/or break rods on them to take them down.

Some other misc. questions I have:

- If I use Aim on a Monk, will they still double-hit and do they still have a chance to score a critical?
- Some Mixes are based on HP. Is this total HP or current HP?

Monk - Rapid fire keeps the crits and you hit a total of 8 times, so I would assume Aim respects dual wielding and crits as well.

Also, since apparently some people are new to rapid fire - it always hits and ignores defense on top of everything else that's been discussed. The only downside is that it's random targeting. Which on most bosses means absolutely nothing.

Also, for monk and rapid fire, you don't need to go above level 99 to get max damage with rapid fire so don't think you have to go absolutely nuts on mixing his levels up. Two shots of dragon power will probably make the monk outclass the chicken knife, considering he gets twice as many attacks.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ugato posted:

Monk - Rapid fire keeps the crits and you hit a total of 8 times, so I would assume Aim respects dual wielding and crits as well.

Also, since apparently some people are new to rapid fire - it always hits and ignores defense on top of everything else that's been discussed. The only downside is that it's random targeting. Which on most bosses means absolutely nothing.

Also, for monk and rapid fire, you don't need to go above level 99 to get max damage with rapid fire so don't think you have to go absolutely nuts on mixing his levels up. Two shots of dragon power will probably make the monk outclass the chicken knife, considering he gets twice as many attacks.

I specifically took Monk/Ranger/Chemist this playthrough via jobfair for this exactly and it's totally wonderful. I've only been boosting my monk to about level 55 or so and he hits 8 times for 900 damage each (or 1800 if he crits). It just absolutely massacres bosses.

Throwing Summoner on top of that was overkill but I wanted a ridiculous party. :)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm about to head up Fork Tower with my Blue/White/Summon/Zerk party. I'm not sure Cutezerker can solo the entire right side, and Mega64's boss guide says that most action commands count as physical. It might be a stupid question, but does !Call? I just think it would be kind of amusing to kill the physical side boss by dropping summons all over him.

If not, I could always shuffle things around and make Krile a Blue Mage with Equip Axes supporting another Zerker.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dareon posted:

I'm about to head up Fork Tower with my Blue/White/Summon/Zerk party. I'm not sure Cutezerker can solo the entire right side, and Mega64's boss guide says that most action commands count as physical. It might be a stupid question, but does !Call? I just think it would be kind of amusing to kill the physical side boss by dropping summons all over him.

If not, I could always shuffle things around and make Krile a Blue Mage with Equip Axes supporting another Zerker.

You should be fine splitting it up as Blue/Zerk and White/Summoner. !Blue isn't affected by silence so I'm wondering if it will be allowed in the physical side of the tower - worst case scenario, slap on some Hermes Sandals and just make them a potion/elixir bot. White/Summoner will wreck Omni especially if they have Reflect.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ugato posted:

Two shots of dragon power will probably make the monk outclass the chicken knife, considering he gets twice as many attacks.

Hrm, let's see. Assuming level 35 before the dragon powers...

quote:

[10:05:17] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 75 50 fists
[10:05:17] <@CarbyBot> At level 75 with 50 Strength, your fist M is 16 (with 153 attack power). To reach the next M, you need to reach level 77.
[10:05:42] <~Kyrosiris> .mcalc 75 40 chicken 36
[10:05:43] <@CarbyBot> At level 75 with 40 Strength and 36 Agility, your Chicken Knife M is 46. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 77 for Strength or 79 for Agility.

Fists: 153 * 8 = 1224, 8 hits = 9792
Chicken: 127 * 23 = 2921; 4 hits = 11684

You'd need two crits per rapid fire for the Monk to beat the CK-wielding Ranger, but that's still not bad damage. :v:

E: looks like the breakpoint for rapid fire monk punching to out-damage CKRF is level 88 or so.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 20, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

redreader posted:

That's a really solid physical party. Knight makes you durable as hell and the other two murder everything.

The map should be on a catwalk looking thing. If it's in the wooden part of the ship, it's just a background detail.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Hrm, let's see. Assuming level 35 before the dragon powers...

Fists: 153 * 8 = 1224, 8 hits = 9792
Chicken: 127 * 23 = 2921; 4 hits = 11684

You'd need two crits per rapid fire for the Monk to beat the CK-wielding Ranger, but that's still not bad damage. :v:

E: looks like the breakpoint for rapid fire monk punching to out-damage CKRF is level 88 or so.

Ok, fine, three dragon powers.

After turn 1 your monk will be doing 16% less damage than the best weapon in the game. Also you still have the best weapon in the game. Assuming monk, ranger, chemist and anything else.

e: missed a number. 16. Not 6.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 20, 2015

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Got him. Money and drugs solve all problems. I think I got really lucky in that he only used like two or three mustard bombs in the whole fight, which was really long. That let me get the full buff layer on the Chemist in addition to the Samurai; I'm not sure I would have been able to keep up without both of them as I was running out of ethers for X-Potions.

I tried my plan of trying to keep everybody alive and him Blessed Kissed, but after a couple attempts it just wasn't happening. It might still be possible if you can get everybody Dragon Kissed right away, heal through the first Wave Cannon, then layer on Hastyades and Protect Potions, and then Blessed Kiss him, but you'd need him to do one of his useless attacks like three or four rounds in a row, and that's asking a lot. There's just a lot of things that have to go right for that way to work, I think, and all it's really saving you is damage from Wave Cannon since he counters through berserk. You could theoretically prevent more damage if he's only hitting you (and you're protected and in the back row) but it's probably better to keep the damage he does to you predictable instead of slightly less but random. If he decides to hit someone three times in a row and it gets through all your evade, you will collapse pretty quickly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

First ever Fiesta run complete, and a triple crown, too! And another Fartz win, just because. Missed the two shots of Omega and Shinryu dying - Omega was really close after a mis-timed !Calm got the whole party sapped. If the RNG had randomized the last attack just a few points lower I probably wouldn't have made it.

Thoughts on Thief/Red Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai:
- Thief was decent, aside from !Flee making life a bit easier. As the starter it made the early levels kinda suck, but it was the MVP for World 2, though - stealing a Twin Lance on the first trip to Castle Bal meant the Thief was #1 for damage dealing for a long while. By World 3, it was just Chicken Knife with !Mug, so good damage but that was about it.

- Red Mage was a complete waste of space. The various -ara spells, even doubled up, were barely worth the time of using in most cases. !Doublecast mostly functioned for Raise+Cura and once or twice spamming Protect to get it out faster. By endgame, it was designated Hi-Potion/Exilir slinger. The lack of any sort of real magic damage (or healing or most of the status effects or...) made a lot of easier opponents much, much tougher.

- Beastmaster was insanely powerful but a major pain in the rear end to use. The flexibility in statuses was powerful, !Control helped get some easy grinding and by late-game the ability to just drop damage cap attacks on things was awesome. (Neo-Exdeath died to a barrage of four Breath Wings - taking out 40,000hp from each part on the opening turn was what saved me.) The downside is that I had to run out and scour the world for a new set of captured monsters after each major fight. Which is why I'm thankful for !Flee, since I ran into and out of the Void something like eight times and that made it go MUCH quicker. In a non-FJF setting, I don't think I'd really use it again because it's such a pain.

- Samurai was Samurai. My only consistent and good source of damage, nicely survivable and throwing money at everything. !Iakanuki was also a godsend when I had to grind a bit. Spend basically all of World 3 with !Flee as the ability so I could ignore fights with the Masamune's automatic first move.

Overall, not the weakest possible setup but one-dimensional in a lot of ways and annoying to really leverage.

Time for the next run.

• Locked thread