Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Bel Monte posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the buzzing thing? Why do satan spawns double as buzzers?

My guess is it's relating to medieval mythology relating to Lord of the Flies demon stuff...? Or is that more modern than medieval?

That's one thing I never understood about the event.

I have no idea, but it's really delightful to imagine your ruler looking up every once and a while and noticing his seven or eight year-old daughter skulking through the dim halls of his castle, vibrating ever so slightly through the air, eyes black and lifeless like a shark's, jaw boneless and agape like a snake, and just going "Oh Ophelia, stop being so creepy!" before going back to laying out plans to assassinate the Byzantine emperor with a shack full of manure or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
1000 gold would only get them up to 350 men. 2000 would be around what you'd need. That would be around 80 event pop-ups. Why they made the amount of troops increased a percentage while leaving a flat cost of 25 gold is beyond me. The whole system is just ridiculously awful as it is.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

HaitianDivorce posted:

I have no idea, but it's really delightful to imagine your ruler looking up every once and a while and noticing his seven or eight year-old daughter skulking through the dim halls of his castle, vibrating ever so slightly through the air, eyes black and lifeless like a shark's, jaw boneless and agape like a snake, and just going "Oh Ophelia, stop being so creepy!" before going back to laying out plans to assassinate the Byzantine emperor with a shack full of manure or w/e

Pretty sure it is a reference to "The Omen". A lot of the events for that are.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Zeron posted:

1000 gold would only get them up to 350 men. 2000 would be around what you'd need. That would be around 80 event pop-ups. Why they made the amount of troops increased a percentage while leaving a flat cost of 25 gold is beyond me. The whole system is just ridiculously awful as it is.

Nah, I only gifted my son about 1000 and he had 2000 men after he had expended that money. I know because I hired him once to beat up the Byzantines to see if there were any events for hiring your blood. I only had that much gold at the time, and I took a gamble with it. I kept a track of his adventures, he didn't seem to do much really, it seems he never got many customers.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The 50 man bands are good because if you're a count and you're trying to beat up another count then you go to siege his county and realize that you're 20 men short you no longer have to spend hundreds of gold to hire 2000 men which bankrupts you and never made much sense to begin with. Instead you pay 5 gold to rent a couple of dozen thugs.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Also, a feature I just realised would be really cool to add to the game: Saints, and other important figures from other faiths.

Currently it does not seem like Saints are really a thing in CK2. Please find a way to add them Groogy. To me, it seems like saints are a way of worshipping a local patron while still maintaining a monotheistic outlook. If certain rulers, or bishops, or figures, can be randomly sanctified, it would be really interesting, and events could be added to go with them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Another Person posted:

Also, a feature I just realised would be really cool to add to the game: Saints, and other important figures from other faiths.

Currently it does not seem like Saints are really a thing in CK2. Please find a way to add them Groogy. To me, it seems like saints are a way of worshipping a local patron while still maintaining a monotheistic outlook. If certain rulers, or bishops, or figures, can be randomly sanctified, it would be really interesting, and events could be added to go with them.

And then you can wage a war to gain ownership of the femur of Saint Thomas

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Another Person posted:

It would not surprise me if they were working on it right now.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I hope they are. Saints are kinda important and missing in such a faith based game.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Another Person posted:

I hope they are. Saints are kinda important and missing in such a faith based game.

In the meantime you have this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244809041

Unfortunately, it seems to have only been updated up to 2.16.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is it possible to assign traits to or for events to do checks on traits of a character after they have died?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is a recommended video tutorial series? I have been watching Arumba's from a year ago but everyone seems to think he's bad at the game? :eng99:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Arumba is not bad at the game (EUIV is another story though...), infact he knows a lot about it and is just not very attentive when he is playing casually which provokes people to say he is bad when he is not (and in that tutorial he is not really playing like he normally would), but that tutorial is massively out of date now. You can still pick up a hell of a lot of basics and the concepts of the game from that series and it used to be my default suggestion, but a lot of the interface has been changed, and I would say that the interface is the biggest hurdle you will face in this game. You can probably pick up a lot of the very basics, especially what you need to get going, from it, but take bits of it with the knowledge it is outdated these days, especially menus.

Just knowing what menu to look at for what stat or variable is terrifying at first. Knowing interface navigation is also why I think screenshot tutorials are not very good. They don't really show you where things are as well as they could do. I am probably going to do a video tutorial sometime soon, which will be useful for roughly 4 patches and become obsolete.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 20, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Another Person posted:

Currently it does not seem like Saints are really a thing in CK2. Please find a way to add them Groogy.

Was an idea for Sons of Abraham but we couldn't come up with good execution of it so we let it be.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

Was an idea for Sons of Abraham but we couldn't come up with good execution of it so we let it be.

Ah, shame. I was having trouble coming up with ways to really put them in myself and was hoping you guys might have more inventive ideas. CK3, perhaps?

The only way I could think of implementing them was giving them a range modifier to troop morale in battle (if you fight a battle in their duchy, are of that faith and own the land, then you get a bonus), local ruler piety, and income for temples. But the first sounds like it would be messy to implement (I am unsure how distance really works even now), and the latter two sound like they are very limited and not really a full idea, just a nice aside to what would be a fully fleshed out system.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:toot: First time I ever did this. Also I managed to get my heir a strong claim on Byzantium, so I'm trying for the Irish Fraticelli Roman Empire now.

edit: To celebrate the Pope called for a crusade in India. Maybe one of my super viceroyals will take it? :catholic:

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 20, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Weren't Saints in CK1? Or was that something that DVIP added?

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Hmm, so after I took flanders as a nomadic tribe, I can now create lancer hordes. 100% heavy cavalry.

Additionally, being reformed germanic nomads lets me declare war on virtually anyone at any time for about 10 reasons at a time.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
A pretty :effort:-free way of doing Saints would be more or less to make them the same as Patron Deities for Hindus. The systems are pretty analogous.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

What's a good Islamic start? I don't usually start my games with an emperor level title but is it possible to get the caliph title without doing that or doing an extraordinary amount of hunting down of an entire dynasty?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Goofballs posted:

What's a good Islamic start? I don't usually start my games with an emperor level title but is it possible to get the caliph title without doing that or doing an extraordinary amount of hunting down of an entire dynasty?

Abbasids in 1066 are duke level and still caliphs

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

A pretty :effort:-free way of doing Saints would be more or less to make them the same as Patron Deities for Hindus. The systems are pretty analogous.

For saints to be interesting though, it really should be a function of dead characters. I'm seeing the system not as about having a "patron saint", but increasing your dynasty's prestige by having an ancestor proclaimed a saint. Maybe it could work like a plot, that you can only target on dead people? And the "plot power" increases with pious traits, time since death, and money sent to the Pope.

I think it could play really well with some kind of "dynastic trait" system, where dynasties could be like characters unto themselves. Having a number of saints in your dynasty could give you a "legacy of piety" or some such thing.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Rumda posted:

Abbasids in 1066 are duke level and still caliphs

Awesome, i'll have a go at that tonight.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I'm trying to understand tech as a horde. My main source of it is from pillaging. I also get some from specific buildings in my capital tent. I'm guessing that using advisers to research tech helps. Spying on the Byzantines certainly does. But is my tech still based on my capital province's tech level, or does it move with my capital?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

DStecks posted:

For saints to be interesting though, it really should be a function of dead characters.

That was what we were working with yes

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

TTBF posted:

So I'm trying to understand tech as a horde. My main source of it is from pillaging. I also get some from specific buildings in my capital tent. I'm guessing that using advisers to research tech helps. Spying on the Byzantines certainly does. But is my tech still based on my capital province's tech level, or does it move with my capital?

It moves with you, and you can also get tech from Settled Tributaries

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm going to try to mod something up for dead characters, here's my initial thoughts:

If a character dies with high enough piety, their head of religion gets an event to choose whether to canonise the deceased or not. The decision would be weighted by the persons sins, virtues(virtues shared by the religious head being extra so), shared culture, and relation to the head of the deceased's dynasty.

If they are sanctified, they posthumously get a nickname, to reflect it. Default would be "the Saint", but if they were killed by an infidel (in battle, execution), or in ones cell, they would get "the Martyr of <x>", with x being the location of their killer.

The head of the Saint's dynasty would get a trait giving them piety per month , which is passed on with inheritance.

The owner of the location the saint died in would get a trait representing the saint's relic, giving piety, prestige and +same religion opinion modifier if they are of the right religion, or +prestige and -same religion opinion modifier if of a different religion.The head of the saint's dynasty is represented with an event which allows them to request the saint's relic from its current holder.

The location the saint died in would get a +piety province modifier if its owner is of the correct faith.

Holding a saint's relic allows a ruler of the correct religion to build a reliquary, in a temple holding, they lose the relic if they do so. Someone pillaging a holding with a reliquary can choose to steal the relic, destroying the reliquary and gaining the relic trait.

A ruler of a different religion can destroy a relic for prestige, invoking a big malus with the appropriate religion.

Hopefully try to work out how to make an infidel holding a relic a causus belli, with success giving a big piety boost, a same religion modifier, and the relic.

I don't think there's any way I can tie the relic to the relevant saint after the initial chain of triggering events, so it would just be a generic <x religion> relic from that point on.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Prince and the Thane had a sainthood mechanic back in the day, didn't it? I can't recall what exactly it was, but that was one of the things that that mod did, wasn't it?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Man, people sure want their rapey-mods over at Pdox forums. :psyduck:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tercio posted:

Any thoughts on this? It's now 1240 and the Mongols have done absolutely nothing.
My thoughts are that it sounds disappointing. I think HIP or one of its submods has some scripting to nudge the hordes west, so I guess maybe wait till they put out a compatibility update?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Doctor Schnabel posted:

My thoughts are that it sounds disappointing. I think HIP or one of its submods has some scripting to nudge the hordes west, so I guess maybe wait till they put out a compatibility update?

Ok, so it does genuinely sound like something's wrong. I played as Khiva from 1066 because I wanted to have some time to learn/play with the Silk Road then see the Mongols pop up naturally. I was actually *hoping* to get conquered and the invasion went off like a wet fart. Very disappointing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there any way to force a religious conversion on your own character and from him to the rest of your rulings? I want to try an Ethiopian Jewish game but the only 'legit' start of those is impossible, being two small provinces that are immediately piled onto by its neighbours the second the game starts.

edit; This is ironman too so not a console command. Would I have to rely on pure luck?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Rumda posted:

Nomads don't give a gently caress about dutchies etc.

But forming them still gives you prestige and handing out the titles makes other clans happy.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there anyway as a nomadic group to prevent your neighbors from all declaring war on you at once? No matter which nomad group I play as, it inevitably ends up with me at war with every single neighbor. Followed pretty quickly by having to surrender lands, watching as they conquer more land elsewhere, have their leaders die in battle, and then declare war on me again. As the Zhetsyu I just lost all my territory within 10 years of game start. As the Yabguids I had Khazaria and the Abassids both declare wars on me on the same day. I have no idea what to do. I constantly build up my retinue, and I make the best use of whatever terrain I can find. No amount of terrain penalties protects you from being so severely outnumbered in every battle.

e: Also is there any way to get "quit to menu" not exit to desktop half the time?

e2: Oh it was just really lovely luck. Now I'm the blob.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 20, 2015

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Zeron posted:

Note, if you actually ever want your children to be any good as mercenaries you should absolutely not let them loose with 500 manpower. Their mercenary troop size is 10% of your current available manpower, so that results in 50 men. The decision to increase the size of a mercenary company is only worth 5% each time taken too, so they will never get to a decent size. Hence why the mercenaries screen is so awful to navigate due to the million 50 men mercenary bands running around.

This was just a suggestion for getting started in a game. I've run into a few times where I had 0 available manpower when you're a 70 year old Khan with a 15 year old son.

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 20, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Pierson posted:

Is there any way to force a religious conversion on your own character and from him to the rest of your rulings? I want to try an Ethiopian Jewish game but the only 'legit' start of those is impossible, being two small provinces that are immediately piled onto by its neighbours the second the game starts.

edit; This is ironman too so not a console command. Would I have to rely on pure luck?

Educate your heir with a landed person of the religion you want or move your capital to a different religion province and pay 1k piety.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

While it's been fun playing as an unstoppable horde, I'm glad they're working on nerfs already. As the Khazars owning most but not all of the steppes (missing the Uyghur area and the Tarim if that counts) I was still able to poo poo stomp the Abbasid's holy war on me with next to no effort. Maybe that's a good and fair thing when it comes to defending the steppes, but it also means that I've eradicated almost every other altaic culture by 810 or so.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you play as a horde with no clans, can you just take all the land for yourself with no penalties?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Broken Cog posted:

If you play as a horde with no clans, can you just take all the land for yourself with no penalties?
No, you'll get super-annoying minor clan uprisings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Strudel Man posted:

No, you'll get super-annoying minor clan uprisings.

Dang, there goes that idea.

• Locked thread