Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gish
Oct 18, 2000
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
Went and enjoyed Canada last week, fun times to be had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I literally saw that truck on display the day before the fireworks when they were setting up, next to one of those deuce and a half things. I was in bed during the show because of my work schedule but it woulda been pretty hilarious if I'd asked where it went and they're like "oh it got stolen"

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

HAH - did the door get stuck on the tether for the antenna? Looks like it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Man, it would be so much fun to see how far you could get in a Humvee. That guy quit way too soon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Man, it would be so much fun to see how far you could get in a Humvee. That guy quit way too soon.
Better to stop before Nic Cage catches up to you in a stolen F355.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Gish posted:

Went and enjoyed Canada last week, fun times to be had

Holy Grap it's Gish and his summer Rover! Haven't seen you post here in... wow, ever I think. Nice pics, we should go do that sometime.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Astonishing Wang posted:

The dude looked like he was drunk as a skunk.

That and he got bored at an ECVs top speed of 55-65mph...

I can't tell you how many h1 owners I bumped into who expect a corvette and get pissed when they have the speed and handling of a school bus .

It's like dudes its a 6.5 diesel. If you want to drive everywhere at 80mph get the 2006 duramax.

That being said I'm ordering a new engine tomorrow finally. Deciding on the military optimizer 6500 (newer block design and casting) or the even newer p400 which just came out 2 years ago.

Problem is the p400 is largely a military only part so no warranty it seems... And I want a warranty if I'm buying a new long block.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Big K of Justice posted:

That and he got bored at an ECVs top speed of 55-65mph...

If that's an M1165, it can go pretty drat fast on the highway for a mil vehicle. They accelerate for poo poo but once you get them to speed, they aren't your dad's M998.

Still feels like driving a drunk turtle with all that armor and NOT in a good way. Also the rattles...

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Few months back I finally got to take out my bastard rig out to Uwharrie Natl Forest in NC for a trail ride. It was rainy as hell and nobody wanted to ride much, and as this was a brand specific group from the internet, they'd rather sit at camp and talk about cam durations and valve springs and bad corporate decisions and other idiot brand homerism minutia. My buddy and I were seething with rage wanting to hit the trail and eventually a few others were ready to hit some bunny trails (that get harder/fun when it's muddy).

On the trail:

little break in the action:

The Group Shot (TM):

After this, we spent the next hour + on recovery maneuvers as another rig had some trouble getting up a slick hill the next trail, and then his winch fried out on him, then his battery quit, and we pulled him off the hill and got him jumped, but it wouldn't stay running...it wasn't a great spot to be stuck in, but luckily there wasn't much traffic on the trail, and we eventually got his rig to stay running and we got back to camp. It's all part of the fun! Nobody got hurt and after he cleaned his terminals and put on a new clamp, he was good as gold. Not sure how his winch is doing though.

After getting back to camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgxgE_uMmA
note the unintential jerk to the left when the rear detroit kicked in and drivers side tire caught the wall. Good times.

It was nice to get some 4low therapy, but we didn't get to ride as much as we wanted. I found out I had a "going bad" wheel bearing that prevented us from playing much more. Limped it back home and it's now awaiting a break in the heat for more upgrades (RCV joints and shafts, new bearings/seals/bj's, rear alloys, an engine upgrade, body lift reduction and bigger tires.)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That's pretty awesome. I grew up with my dad's first car being that exact trooper, but stock. Brings back some good memories!

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

They are fun and capable little rigs. I had a few through college and few years beyond, but this one is more of a familiar shell and frame holding a decent drivetrain in/under it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbWQhqph7nk

... because we definitely need ALL ONE HUNDRED of the drunk rednecks present in the way when trying to find out if the guy's alright and put his rig on all four wheels again, yup.

Reason #93485029875439085 I will never, ever go to a rockbouncer event.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Paulie posted:

On the trail:

Woah this thing is awesome. I had an 89' with a lovely 2.8 GM six.

What power/trans/case/axles are you running in that thing?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Heh, just bumped into a problem with getting a new engine for an H1.

AM general doesn't officially stock dealer replacement engines anymore since Hummer is kaput more or less. The engines aren't, AMG owns a engine company in Franklin Ohio that builds the 6.5 Optimizers and P400's, but generally speaking the military doesn't buy poo poo with warranty, they'll just buy extra spare engines.

So my friends got someone in South Bend, IN checking the warehouse to see if there's a turbodiesel long block still in storage, if so I'll get a new warranty on my installation. If not, whelp. I'll probably get a late model HMMWV takeout, do a tear down and throw that instead.

So if I get a engine through the hummer supply chain, I get a warranty, if I have to go to the military source, nope. Upshot is I save money over the dealer price. Or I can get a late model year long block from a surplus yard and just have that rebuilt instead.

I wish I wasn't stuck out of country, otherwise I'd do it all myself but I have to get someone else to install it for me while i'm in Canada.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbWQhqph7nk

... because we definitely need ALL ONE HUNDRED of the drunk rednecks present in the way when trying to find out if the guy's alright and put his rig on all four wheels again, yup.

Reason #93485029875439085 I will never, ever go to a rockbouncer event.

That wasn't too bad. Other than heart attack risk while they wheeze and bumble up the hill. It used to be when they crashed everyone would be rolling the vehicle over before even checking on the driver. Now they check the driver first. One issue with those things is flammable fluid always seems to drip onto the headers when upside down.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Woah this thing is awesome. I had an 89' with a lovely 2.8 GM six.

What power/trans/case/axles are you running in that thing?

Right now it's got the stock GM 2.8 with the isuzu mua5 manual trans/case. I've got 3.07:1 low range gears in the case though. I've got a rebuilt and slightly hopped up 3.4 out of a camaro waiting to go in when I get the time. The 2.8 is a turd but luckily it likes going to 5k+ rpm, so I milk every last bit of it's amazing 125hp. The 3.4 will be closer to 185+hp.

The axles are a late 70's wagoneer dana 44 front with 5.38's and an ox locker. I have RCV shafts and joints waiting to go in so it will be a little more stupid-proof. The rear is a dana 44 out of a mid 90's rodeo with 5.38's and a detroit. There's not much off the shelf for upgrading the shafts so I'm going to have to order a custom set from moser to help it out until I upgrade to something bigger.

I also just bought some 37" pitbull rockers to go in place of the 35" trxus m/t's on it now. Hoping to get a lot done the next couple months so I can take it out more in the fall.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Is a 3800 to big to fit? I know its a pretty wide for a V6

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is a 3800 to big to fit? I know its a pretty wide for a V6

Different bolt pattern

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Been watching a few Moab videos- How the hell do people wheel on rock that grippy without shattering CV's like glass?

Im only asking because we blew up a CV joint in a new ford ranger doing a hard turn on bitumen with it in high range 4wd and Moab looks like its all grippy rock and low range work.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ferremit posted:

Been watching a few Moab videos- How the hell do people wheel on rock that grippy without shattering CV's like glass?

Im only asking because we blew up a CV joint in a new ford ranger doing a hard turn on bitumen with it in high range 4wd and Moab looks like its all grippy rock and low range work.

You shouldn't be in 4wd on pavement, especially during a turn. I haven't been to Moab, but I do a bit of rock crawling; if you have to take a tight turn, its easier to shift out of 4wd, as being in 4wd makes lots of vehicles understeer, especially so if you have a locker in the rear. I'm also not in 4wd unless I need it for an obstacle.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I thought being in 4lo on tarmac would be ok as long as you don't have diff locks on, am I wrong? not ideal I understand but I didn't think it would break anything.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Your front and rear axles are still locked to each other, and the front typically travels farther in a turn so it would ordinarily turn more revolutions. So when locked to the rear the front tires would be turning less revolutions than normal and are essentially being pushed along by the rear wheels. Might not damage the CV axles/axle shafts as bad as with locked diffs, but it's still a strain on them, and I imagine it would play hell with the u-joints on the main driveshafts.

If anything 4hi would be better, at least that reduces the torque put on the drivetrain and axles.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've been to Moab twice, now, and wheeled on plenty of rock. My rig has front and rear automatic (ie, they cannot be disengaged) lockers.

The key is to either:

- shift out of 4wd (I don't like doing this, it's a lot of work to go from 4LO to 2HI, requiring a nearly full stop).
- learn to minimize joint/CV angle and throttle combined together.

The latter works on pavement, as well. You CAN drive on pavement with lockers and 4LO, you just can't turn your wheel all the way to the lock and pin the throttle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Krakkles posted:

- shift out of 4wd (I don't like doing this, it's a lot of work to go from 4LO to 2HI, requiring a nearly full stop).

I wish I could find a 2LO kit for the TJ for this reason.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I wish I could find a 2LO kit for the TJ for this reason.

NP231?

Pretty sure Teraflex makes one for the 231, but I'm not sure about other TCs.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im lucky with the landcruiser because its got an electronic centre diff lock, so you can modify the computer harness to stop it automatically locking the centre diff when you drop it into low range to allow you to do cool things like reverse trailers up sealed driveways without winding up the drivetrain.

The ford ranger was a fuckup, although we did expect to get wheel slip rather than CV shatter!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Driving on a grippy surface with a locked center diff/transfer case puts lots of stress on the driveline components; your tires don't wear evenly, which means that it will always wind up the driveline. Turning in 4lo is usually what stresses it enough to break something, but you aren't doing your vehicle any favors driving in a straight line, either.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my Ranger (and presumably newer ones - I like the mention of a "new" Ranger - they were discontinued a few years ago) doesn't have a front differential. The transfer case engages or disengages both front axles depending on the "2Hi-4Hi-4Lo" switch in the cab, and the hubs are locked or not locked depending on how wet my knees are.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my Ranger (and presumably newer ones - I like the mention of a "new" Ranger - they were discontinued a few years ago) doesn't have a front differential. The transfer case engages or disengages both front axles depending on the "2Hi-4Hi-4Lo" switch in the cab, and the hubs are locked or not locked depending on how wet my knees are.

I highly doubt that it doesn't have a differential in the front axle. If you don't get out and lock the hubs, then there's no point putting it in 4wd; locking hubs are supposed to save you a bit of gas, as you drive on the highway with them unlocked so that you aren't turning the front diff/driveshaft, and only lock them when needed.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Your Ranger does have a front differential, but it most likely doesn't have a center differential in the transfer case. If it wasn't advertised as "full time 4wd", which requires a center diff to allow front-rear speed differences in 4wd/AWD on hard tarmac, then it just has a simple transfer case that locks front and rear driveshaft outputs together. Every 4wd has a front differential, with a few (Jeep Rubicon?, older Land Cruisers, real G-wagens etc) offering some way to lock that diff up for true 4wd.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Krakkles posted:

NP231?

Pretty sure Teraflex makes one for the 231, but I'm not sure about other TCs.

Oh, huh.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52254_200_07.htm

I'm pretty sure I tried to find it on Teraflex's website before and couldn't. Don't know why I didn't just google it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, huh.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52254_200_07.htm

I'm pretty sure I tried to find it on Teraflex's website before and couldn't. Don't know why I didn't just google it.
Yeah, that's the one. If I ever have to rebuild my Tcase, that's going in.

And then I'm doing a burnout.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I had my transfer case apart to install a SYE, kinda wish I had the money to put a 2lo kit in at the same time.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 20, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
There are so many upgrades that are hard to assess without having used a similar product before. Are there benefits to 2-low besides easier turning off-road and better burnouts? It doesn't seem worth the $260 to me.

I AM out of sub-$200 projects though....

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Astonishing Wang posted:

There are so many upgrades that are hard to assess without having used a similar product before. Are there benefits to 2-low besides easier turning off-road and better burnouts? It doesn't seem worth the $260 to me.

I AM out of sub-$200 projects though....

slower 1st gear idling in traffic comes to mind.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sandbagger SA posted:

slower 1st gear idling in traffic comes to mind.
Descending hills on road too
Pulling things onroad
Backing Trailers Up (per Ferremit)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
You shouldn't exceed 25 mph in 4lo, at least for the NP231 that's in most Wranglers; it's probably lower with the Rubicon 4.0:1 gears.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EightBit posted:

You shouldn't exceed 25 mph in 4lo, at least for the NP231 that's in most Wranglers; it's probably lower with the Rubicon 4.0:1 gears.
More like "can't" than "shouldn't". 25 is redlining top gear in my XJ in 4LO.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Just think about how fast the input to the transfer case is spinning, then imagine what happens when you let it coast down a hill and go past 25. You'll have problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EightBit posted:

Just think about how fast the input to the transfer case is spinning, then imagine what happens when you let it coast down a hill and go past 25. You'll have problems.
I feel like this is the second time you seem to be addressing comments to me (in this page) that seem to relate to you thinking I don't know how drivetrains work.

I'm sorry if I've miscommunicated, but I'm perfectly aware of how fast I can drive my jeep and where I can drive it. I'm getting this impression that you're trying to correct me and, if you are, it's misguided.