Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Grand Fromage covered the rest of your post, but since it apparently got looked over the first time around:

Tesseraction posted:

But if that's the case why would they need to remove the pacifism clause?

Sheep posted:

One of the major concerns cropping up now is that Japan can't defend its allies

One example that was drummed up on television a lot a few years ago was Japan evacuating Japanese citizens in North Africa, which they weren't even sure if the JSDF would be allowed to do under the existing setup, which was a big impetus for the new guidelines that were issued a while back (and ignored the whole constitutional/legal aspect). There are other big concerns, such as cooperation on humanitarian issues (we can use the evacuation of citizens issue again - can the JSDF legally evacuate allied nations' citizens outside of Japan?) and collective self defense (can Japan shoot down ballistic missiles headed for America if they're just passing over Japan?).

This is a good read that covers the new guidelines which resolve a couple of these issues, but there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

pentyne posted:

There's a lot of political chat when in reality all Abe cares about is drumming up and securing the votes and it's not like a right-wing platform would really turn away any of the 50+ year olds who make up 90% of the voting electorate.

If this is about votes, it's failing miserably. Abe's approval is dropping because of these bills

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

If this is about votes, it's failing miserably. Abe's approval is dropping because of these bills

what are they going to do, vote for someone other than the LDP? Abe knows he's the only game in town so why give a gently caress about something as silly as the will of the electorate

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Abe can still be voted out as leader, which could even happen this summer.

Cancelling that dumb stadium provided some helpful chaff for a couple days.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sheep posted:

One example that was drummed up on television a lot a few years ago was Japan evacuating Japanese citizens in North Africa, which they weren't even sure if the JSDF would be allowed to do under the existing setup, which was a big impetus for the new guidelines that were issued a while back (and ignored the whole constitutional/legal aspect). There are other big concerns, such as cooperation on humanitarian issues (we can use the evacuation of citizens issue again - can the JSDF legally evacuate allied nations' citizens outside of Japan?) and collective self defense (can Japan shoot down ballistic missiles headed for America if they're just passing over Japan?).

Ahh, cheers for this. I suppose part of the problem is that by and large I wasn't aware those kind of issues were affected by this (I would have said in both cases 'of course Japan could' - but then I'm not exactly Japan's foremost constitutional expert), and figured Abe was pushing for the purposes of belligerence.

...which isn't to say that he isn't also doing it for that purpose. But there is a better defence of clarifying defence policy compared to "I want the right to shoot other countries and so help me I will."

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
In what situation and for what reason would Japan just start to shoot at countries

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well that's what I was wanting to know - my first query was "why is Abe so obsessed with having a full-blown military unless he plans to make a first move" to which others have pointed out that elements of Article 9 place strange limits on non-belligerent situations. I wasn't saying 'Abe is planning on shooting China' so much as not knowing why Abe needed the ability to potentially shoot China some time in the future.

To which I was given the reply 'Asian cold war getting warmer, needs arms race to cool head.'

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

Well that's what I was wanting to know - my first query was "why is Abe so obsessed with having a full-blown military unless he plans to make a first move" to which others have pointed out that elements of Article 9 place strange limits on non-belligerent situations. I wasn't saying 'Abe is planning on shooting China' so much as not knowing why Abe needed the ability to potentially shoot China some time in the future.

To which I was given the reply 'Asian cold war getting warmer, needs arms race to cool head.'

I believe the implication has always been to preemptively strike North Korea before Japan gets to find out how well US anti-missile technology works.

China is being loud right now but it's pretty much the equivalent of Cold War Soviet rhetoric. North Korea is an actual credible threat in that they're not a rational actor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm never sure what to make of North Korea since for all their sabre rattling I haven't actually seen them DO anything since the Korean war finished. Skirmishes sure, and that ridiculous tree incident, but I think for all their bluster they're scared to do anything because they know China is the only reason they aren't currently part of (South-run) Unified Korea, and that China won't actually help them if they strike first.

That said, maybe Jong-un feels like ending the family name with a bang.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

what are they going to do, vote for someone other than the LDP? Abe knows he's the only game in town so why give a gently caress about something as silly as the will of the electorate

the JCP :ussr: :china:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo posted:

In what situation and for what reason would Japan just start to shoot at countries

The Japanese are inherently evil subhumans who will attack you with no warning, do you know? Japan very bad.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tesseraction posted:

I'm never sure what to make of North Korea since for all their sabre rattling I haven't actually seen them DO anything since the Korean war finished. Skirmishes sure, and that ridiculous tree incident, but I think for all their bluster they're scared to do anything because they know China is the only reason they aren't currently part of (South-run) Unified Korea, and that China won't actually help them if they strike first.

That said, maybe Jong-un feels like ending the family name with a bang.

NK does launch ballistic missiles over Japan which, considering how safety obsessed Japan is, isn't nothing. Not taking them seriously is maybe the reasonable choice, but this is something that you don't need to be a nationalist to think is a big deal. (Changing the constitution is probably for the nationalists though.)

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 20, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not hard to make arguments for changing it. Japan is the only country in the world (I think) not allowed to have a military or engage in warfare because of laws created by an occupying nation, to punish them for things their ancestors did decades ago. Honestly it's a bizarre situation to begin with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

NK does launch ballistic missiles over Japan

Wait. What? I think I'm learning a lot more about what's going on over there from the past two pages of this thread then any of the news I've been reading. And here I thought all the drama was just in their cartoons...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not hard to make arguments for changing it. Japan is the only country in the world (I think) not allowed to have a military or engage in warfare because of laws created by an occupying nation, to punish them for things their ancestors did decades ago. Honestly it's a bizarre situation to begin with.

Probably, but then again Costa Rica decided to abolish its military anyway because "eh, we don't need it" - but then again they're in a mildly more secure part of the world.

Grand Fromage posted:

The Japanese are inherently evil subhumans who will attack you with no warning, do you know? Japan very bad.

Naw, not Japanese people, just followers of Shinzo Abe

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Wait. What? I think I'm learning a lot more about what's going on over there from the past two pages of this thread then any of the news I've been reading. And here I thought all the drama was just in their cartoons...

He is wrong, they have not done that. They have fired missiles into the Sea of Japan. None have crossed another country's land.

Tesseraction posted:

Probably, but then again Costa Rica decided to abolish its military anyway because "eh, we don't need it" - but then again they're in a mildly more secure part of the world.

And that's by choice and could be reversed whenever they want. Japan didn't choose to disarm. It's understandable given the circumstances at the time but things have changed.

It's definitely a thing for nationalists but I don't think you have to be a crazy right winger to see the reasoning.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right, those were just 'tests' though, right - partially to show off but mostly for tests?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Not allowed to have a military*

*has one of the best equipped militaries in the world.

But the issue is that they really only have defensive equipment. Nothing long range except for some multirole fighters that could theoretically re-fuel in the middle of the Japan sea using one of Japan's few mid-air refuellers, in order to get just barely enough legs to make it to a NK missile launch site.

That's what I identify as the real problem. If someone just sits far away and starts launching missiles at Japan there is literally almost nothing they could do. They'd be entirely dependent on the US to stop something.

Tesseraction posted:

NK shoots missles, Russia sends bombers into Japanese airspace, China does all kinds of poo poo to everyone in the region and is currently making a man-made island in the middle of the sea to extend their operational range for aircraft and probably their anti-missle envelope. Japan has a lot of credible threats from areas that aren't necessarily going to be rational actors and have a history of brinksmanship. And all the meanwhile their military is completely incapable of doing anything serious in the case someone starts some poo poo.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grand Fromage posted:

He is wrong, they have not done that. They have fired missiles into the Sea of Japan. None have crossed another country's land.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/1998/sep/01/northkorea

http://archive.wusa9.com/news/article/83910/0/North-Korea-Launches-Missile-Over-Japan

http://japandailypress.com/north-korean-missile-fired-passes-over-okinawa-before-crashing-near-philippines-1219711/

These are three seperate launches over Japan. Not sure how this is news to anyone playing enough attention to bother being in this thread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Well that's weird. I searched since I didn't remember that and the only missile tests that came up were Sea of Japan ones.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've only started paying attention to Japan's politics recently over the whole WW2 faux pas and the desire to abolish Article 9. Most of my knowledge of Japanese politics comes from when the British press go "isn't Japan kooky, their PM was reading some comics on the train!"

I figure that I spend enough time putting my greasy dorito-stained fingers on their music and television that knowing nothing about their political happenings is odd for a political junkie.

I was going to make a joke about not knowing what party Abe was in here but frankly it would just look like ignorance not irony.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

But the issue is that they really only have defensive equipment. Nothing long range except for some multirole fighters that could theoretically re-fuel in the middle of the Japan sea using one of Japan's few mid-air refuellers, in order to get just barely enough legs to make it to a NK missile launch site.

The F-15J (of which Japan has 157) has a ferry range of 5,000km, so even if that is halved under combat load, I imagine they'd have plenty to engage in combat missions all the way up to the Korean border with China (which is only 1000km from Tsuiki airbase). Even the others at Naha and Chitose could probably get in on the action.

That is all assuming that you'd need more than like five planes to lock down the entire peninsula anyways. NK's aging fleet of 50 year old MiGs and pilots who have barely an hour of flight time a year are going to do exactly jack and poo poo anyways so really the question is "how high can Japan's F-2s drop bombs from?".

Tesseraction posted:

British press

There's your problem.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 20, 2015

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Abe belongs to the only party that matters.

Grand Fromage posted:

Well that's weird. I searched since I didn't remember that and the only missile tests that came up were Sea of Japan ones.

The first time I was in Japan was after the first one. I went from "oh those kooky North Koreans" to "oh yeah, I guess that would be an existensial threat" pretty fast when I noticed how upset people were about it.

I completely understand why some in Japan want to dump Article 9. What I don't understand is why China doesn't bring NK to heel, because they are going to force Japan to rearm, and that cannot be in their interest. I suspect they cannot, or they are really sniffing their own farts.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

I completely understand why some in Japan want to dump Article 9. What I don't understand is why China doesn't bring NK to heel, because they are going to force Japan to rearm, and that cannot be in their interest. I suspect they cannot, or they are really sniffing their own farts.

Not that they need to (domestically), but China can justify increased armament by using the "look at Japan rearming!!!" argument. If there's one thing China craves it's international recognition/prestige/face, and this is one way to build up your military without sacrificing any of those.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 20, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think China is just fine justifying rearmament with its massive persecution complex and using western and Japanese imperialism as a blank check to do whatever they want

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Sheep posted:

The F-15J (of which Japan has 157) has a ferry range of 5,000km, so even if that is halved under combat load, I imagine they'd have plenty to engage in combat missions all the way up to the Korean border with China (which is only 1000km from Tsuiki airbase). Even the others at Naha and Chitose could probably get in on the action.

That is all assuming that you'd need more than like five planes to lock down the entire peninsula anyways. NK's aging fleet of 50 year old MiGs and pilots who have barely an hour of flight time a year are going to do exactly jack and poo poo anyways so really the question is "how high can Japan's F-2s drop bombs from?".

Wikipedia notes this:
性能
最大速度: M2.5[69]
巡航速度: M0.9[69]
フェリー飛行時航続距離: 3,450km
航続距離: 4,630km (増槽)
実用上昇限度: 19,000m[69]
戦闘行動半径:1,900km[69]

For the F-15J the ferry range is only 3,450km supposedly, with a cruising range of 4,630km with drop tanks. Combat radius is 1,900km so yeah F-15J's could make the trip, but they supposedly can only take Mk82s which are 500lb dumb-bombs. If you want JDAMs or other guided ordinance then you need the F-2, and:

性能
最大速度: マッハ2.0
フェリー飛行時航続距離: 4,000km
戦闘行動半径: 450海里 ,830km(ASM-2×4, AAM-3×2, 600gl増槽×2)

Combat radius of 830km, which puts it out of range of, for example, the Musudan-ri launch site for the Taepodongs.

I've seen the same numbers from other sources; maybe they're not completely accurate, etc. but from what I can see Japan has very limited strike capability against Korea. As you say they wouldn't likely need many, but there's still a decent question as to whether or not planes can reliably get there. A few long range missiles would go a long way to help this problem.

Sheep posted:

Not that they need to (domestically), but China can justify increased armament by using the "look at Japan rearming!!!" argument. If there's one thing China craves it's international recognition/prestige/face, and this is one way to build up your military without sacrificing any of those.

China is already massively building up. Who are they going to argue to? They're pushing around all their other neighbors too, so local parties (save Korea, at least for political purposes) won't give a poo poo about Japan re-arming, and the UN is toothless anyway.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

And that's by choice and could be reversed whenever they want. Japan didn't choose to disarm. It's understandable given the circumstances at the time but things have changed.

It's definitely a thing for nationalists but I don't think you have to be a crazy right winger to see the reasoning.

uh I'm pretty sure that the japanese electorate overwhelmingly supports the pacifism clauses of their constitution. It's one of the biggest disconnects between voters and politicians in japan

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Also China has nuclear weapons so thinking Japan is going to try for a first strike is almost impossibly dumb.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I don't know how the system works in Japan but could they pass a bill basically saying "BTW, the JSDF is allowed to do those things," or something?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

uh I'm pretty sure that the japanese electorate overwhelmingly supports the pacifism clauses of their constitution. It's one of the biggest disconnects between voters and politicians in japan

Japanese people support the law because it is the law. If the constitution said something else, people would support than instead.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

I don't know how the system works in Japan but could they pass a bill basically saying "BTW, the JSDF is allowed to do those things," or something?

They just did that. It's technically unconstitutional though, and arguably the JSDF in itself is unconstitutional and has been since 1954.

ReidRansom posted:

Japanese people support the law because it is the law. If the constitution said something else, people would support than instead.

It's interesting how the Japanese people seem to have agency when they're neonazis and are thus responsible for their beliefs but when they're pacifists they're just dumb borg drones repeating what their superiors told them

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

It's interesting how the Japanese people seem to have agency when they're neonazis and are thus responsible for their beliefs but when they're pacifists they're just dumb borg drones repeating what their superiors told them

Inertia means a lot. Even moreso than most places, they are very resistant to societal change and support the status quo even when it is demonstrably bad. If things are a certain way then they're that way for a reason and that's the right way it should be. Marijuana is bad because it's illegal, because it wouldn't be illegal if it weren't bad. That sort of thing.

e: they expand now, within 30-50 years they'd face the same resistance if they tried to re-pacify.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sheep posted:

There's your problem.

Yeah, my plan is to poo poo upread this thread until I figure out the good sources of news (I checked the OP but it seemed to be pretty disparaging of the options).

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

I really think you don't nearly appreciate the lasting impact getting nuked has on japan's collective psyche, especially since it was during a war started by a militaristic regime

Why do you think the older folk are more opposed to the change

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They are going to invade south Korea and regain their supremacy as television manufacturers :japan:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Combat radius of 830km, which puts it out of range of, for example, the Musudan-ri launch site for the Taepodongs.

I've seen the same numbers from other sources; maybe they're not completely accurate, etc. but from what I can see Japan has very limited strike capability against Korea. As you say they wouldn't likely need many, but there's still a decent question as to whether or not planes can reliably get there. A few long range missiles would go a long way to help this problem.

Good point with the drop tanks, I hadn't even considered that. Either way, it's unlikely Japan would ever need to get combat superiority over North Korea anyway, and even if they did, it'd almost certainly be a situation where they'd be able to invoke the security alliance and let America deal with long range stuff, so no big deal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yes, they do. I never said they don't? It doesn't mean that having the same military capabilities as every other country is a position solely for insane people.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReidRansom posted:

Inertia means a lot. Even moreso than most places, they are very resistant to societal change and support the status quo even when it is demonstrably bad. If things are a certain way then they're that way for a reason and that's the right way it should be. Marijuana is bad because it's illegal, because it wouldn't be illegal if it weren't bad. That sort of thing.

e: they expand now, within 30-50 years they'd face the same resistance if they tried to re-pacify.

Yeah, I was speaking with my wife the last time Article 9 reform came up, and she was deeply passionate that other people had opinions about it. One of the more surreal conversations I have ever had.

It is important to keep in mind that this is a country whose sexism, lack of children and resistance to immigration has them 30-50 years from societal collapse. And they still won't even admit there's a problem, let alone change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, they do. I never said they don't? It doesn't mean that having the same military capabilities as every other country is a position solely for insane people.

Do you think Abe's cabinet is right to try and put these bills through the Diet despite the opposition of the Japanese public and a near unanimous consensus among legal scholars that the bills are unconstitutional?