Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Back To 99 posted:

In Shogun 2, can you only build one encampment per province, or can you build all encampment types as long as you have the slots for it? Going crazy trying to figure this out without researching for 20 turns.

Edit: I'm going to assume it's just one. Funny how the best strategy in Shogun is to never upgrade any buildings except the one you start with, because growth will always earn you more than buildings.

Do you mean the Encampment upgrades Armoury, Barracks, Hunting Lodge, Jujutsu Dojo, and Proving Grounds? You can only have one of those six (including the base Encampment) in a given province.

The vanilla Shogun 2 economy is sort of based around having an agricultural hinterland to support key high-development provinces (recruiting centers, metsuke tax farms).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Gimnbo posted:

Does anyone with Arena experience know why Drop Shields is grayed out like 90% of the time? I mash F as hard as I can but my hoplites are just too emotionally attached to their shields to murder skirmishers.

If you commander dies you can't use some of his abilities. It might be that if your lead unit has already been through a fight.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah your commander is a phisical unit that exists in the first unit of your army.

He's also dead center on the frontline, although since Arena works based on squad HP and not unit HP i don't know what triggers a general's death.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think it actually does track individual unit hp in the squad, but theres a lot of stuff I still don't understand about the battle system.

Why they pushed one of the cornerstones of the rock paper scissors system into tier 4 or 5, for instance.

Neither have I figured out why catapult fire is the same accuracy beyond visual range.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I got confused because although nobody wanted to throw their shields away, they were perfectly fine with raising them and charging about.

Unless that's what that star on the ability means.

az
Dec 2, 2005

go hog wild

N5HIE-QABBF-CBE2G

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

az posted:

go hog wild

N5HIE-QABBF-CBE2G

Claimed it, thanks.

Time to see what all the hub bub is about.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm probably going to regret this. Been watching Sharpe and getting a hard on for musket warfare, so I've decided to reinstall Empire Total War. What mods are there to make this the least painful I can? No butt ugly towns, no horrendous star forts, no pop-gun muskets and actual line combat?

Imperial Splendour is still pretty much top dog of ETW TC mods now.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Related to the general's position in the frontline, is there any particular way to protect him in Attila? I often want to use his unit (palatina guards as ERE) especially in smaller armies but he dies easily and I lose.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Gimnbo posted:

Does anyone with Arena experience know why Drop Shields is grayed out like 90% of the time? I mash F as hard as I can but my hoplites are just too emotionally attached to their shields to murder skirmishers.

Is your actual general dead?(he's the little star in your first unit). Its a general's skill so if he dies you loose it.

E:so horribly beaten

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Gimnbo posted:

I got confused because although nobody wanted to throw their shields away, they were perfectly fine with raising them and charging about.

Unless that's what that star on the ability means.

Units have their own abilities, which are there regardless of the generals well-being.

Now why the gently caress Attacking Testudo isn't a Unit ability, or not in any way better than raise shields, i have no loving clue.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Playing Total war arena in CTS -> Goon Total War.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

DiHK posted:

Units have their own abilities, which are there regardless of the generals well-being.

Now why the gently caress Attacking Testudo isn't a Unit ability, or not in any way better than raise shields, i have no loving clue.

The two abilities I was referring to are general abilities.

I guess it's pointless to get frustrated before CA has even released any sort of documentation for this game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Arena really needs some blocking regiment type environmental hazards because right now games are decided mainly by which side has the least assholes cowering in the base or running from the first red icon they see.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Auditore posted:

Related to the general's position in the frontline, is there any particular way to protect him in Attila? I often want to use his unit (palatina guards as ERE) especially in smaller armies but he dies easily and I lose.

This is kind of an issue with every TW game and there isn't a whole lot you can really do about it - whether or not the little man specifically representing the general in his unit dies is more or less random, so you're never totally safe when using your general unit in combat. The most you can do is to use the same kind of tactics that would normally keep a unit safe - engage from the front with a separate unit first, then bring your general in on the flank or the rear so most of the enemy will be focused on the first unit and thus very few casualties will go to the general. If it's a cav general, you can use rolling charges so the general unit never stays engaged long enough to take much damage. I don't know what abilities palatina guards have specifically since I haven't played ERE yet but stuff like shield wall or defensive testudo is always useful to increase a unit's survival chances.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, Norse general units with Shield Wall tend to take a lickin' and keep tickin'

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New thing about arena combat I don't understand: Pikemen have an ability where they go into phalanx that boosts their damage output immensely directly in front of them and constantly knocks enemies down, but for some reason it also does that damage to everybody, friendly or enemy.

So you can have real bad mistakes like accidentally turning phalanx on when two units are in the same space and now one of your units is half dead and you have to pay the silver cost for friendly fire. I've had allies run directly into a scrim from the other side to help with a flank but the pike damage goes through the entire enemy body and kills all my friends dudes instead. Wierd.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's terrible but you know what's worse? That there's no clear indication that you placed siege traps on the map. using siege consumables to fortify a central area can decide a battle but the lack of any indication of caltrops or spikes means you lose a lot of allied troops since they really don't notice them until their soldiers start dying (and to their defense even the spikes are kinda hard to notice in the middle of a battle).

And then you have pubbie arty who bring three siege units all with palisades and they decide to shut off your base for no reason :downs:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Trying to juggle 9 units with the Arena UI is pretty tricky and I suck at it.

If they ever implement the classic stamina system so many pubbies are gonna be hosed when they can't kite anymore.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't think the FotS AI can handle sieges very well if they don't have artillery. I was defending against a far superior force, expecting to be totally wiped out because they not only had more men than I had but they also had generally better troops. I almost totally wiped them out and didn't really lose that much:

They got inside the fort but I had everyone fall back to the inner fort and after a long while of them trying to climb the walls, getting shot as they got closer and stabbed by spearmen if they did get over all of them started routing at the same time and I could mow them down really easily.

It reminds me of one victory I got in the original Rome where I was defending against Britons in some backwater fort in Gaul. They had far more troops but I just gathered everyone in the center and when they got inside I had everyone charge them at once and for some reason they just started routing.

Also why does my Daimyo's 3 year old son look like he's at least 25?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

People grow up fast during a war.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mans posted:

That's terrible but you know what's worse? That there's no clear indication that you placed siege traps on the map. using siege consumables to fortify a central area can decide a battle but the lack of any indication of caltrops or spikes means you lose a lot of allied troops since they really don't notice them until their soldiers start dying (and to their defense even the spikes are kinda hard to notice in the middle of a battle).

And then you have pubbie arty who bring three siege units all with palisades and they decide to shut off your base for no reason :downs:

Yah the palisade stuff is also wierd, I ran into somebody using them for the first time todaY and was baffled why my entire army disappered. That's something you can fix with better ui or even tutorials maybe though. I think they should probably take a look at artillery in general because it seems overly effective and powerful if supported and in a good location, but a huge liability f somebody only brought thost catapults and loses them, because they're worth a ton of points in case of stalemate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ofaloaf posted:

People grow up fast during a war.

:agreed:

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't think the FotS AI can handle sieges very well if they don't have artillery. I was defending against a far superior force, expecting to be totally wiped out because they not only had more men than I had but they also had generally better troops. I almost totally wiped them out and didn't really lose that much:

They got inside the fort but I had everyone fall back to the inner fort and after a long while of them trying to climb the walls, getting shot as they got closer and stabbed by spearmen if they did get over all of them started routing at the same time and I could mow them down really easily.

Hey man, that's the name of the game with sieges. They might have done better if they had lines of guns covering the guys climbing and were only climbing one section of wall. The would have done better if you didn't have a second level to fall back on.
But they still probably would have lost half their dudes. Defending forts with guns is tough business.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Tried having another go at figuring out the arena. upgraded one thing on my commander and now i cant really queue into anything, goes from having a hundred or so in queue to like 10. Is that just down to poo poo timing or am i just stuck to playing with other commanders?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I bought two EVGA GTX 970 from Craigslist. No matter which card I am using I am still getting these random freezes on the campaign map or in battle in Shogun 2 FOTS. The game alt tabs by itself back to my desktop and when I try to get back into the Shogun 2 its locked up with no arrow movement.

Any idea on fixing this issue? I am pretty sure it's not the cards because I played the Witcher 3 just fine and it's not likely that both are messed up.
I am getting the same problems with both cards. Is it specific issue with the 970s? I played the game just fine with my old friend 760.

edit: I'll just try reinstalling again and deleting the appdata.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 14, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Between hitting a grind wall at tier 3 and the system giving so goddamn many opportunities to pubbies to gently caress things up for me I'm kinda done with Arena. Every game invariably has at least one person sitting in the cap doing nothing or an rear end in a top hat doing nothing but shooting catapults into my back.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Green Gloves posted:

I bought two EVGA GTX 970 from Craigslist. No matter which card I am using I am still getting these random freezes on the campaign map or in battle in Shogun 2 FOTS. The game alt tabs by itself back to my desktop and when I try to get back into the Shogun 2 its locked up with no arrow movement.

Any idea on fixing this issue? I am pretty sure it's not the cards because I played the Witcher 3 just fine and it's not likely that both are messed up.
I am getting the same problems with both cards. Is it specific issue with the 970s? I played the game just fine with my old friend 760.

edit: I'll just try reinstalling again and deleting the appdata.

Im running into that issue with my 970 also. It will force alt tab me out of the game but i can still issue commands/move mouse ect. But if i try to reopen the game its just an instant tab back to my desktop and then i need to force close the game through the task manager. It used to only do it with the online part of FOTS but now its doing it with the singleplay side of poo poo aswell.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

TwatHammer posted:

Im running into that issue with my 970 also. It will force alt tab me out of the game but i can still issue commands/move mouse ect. But if i try to reopen the game its just an instant tab back to my desktop and then i need to force close the game through the task manager. It used to only do it with the online part of FOTS but now its doing it with the singleplay side of poo poo aswell.

I started getting locked during the initial start up screen as well. A fresh install and clearing the appdata did not help. I can only get the game working if I am using Direct X 9

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Asehujiko posted:

Between hitting a grind wall at tier 3 and the system giving so goddamn many opportunities to pubbies to gently caress things up for me I'm kinda done with Arena. Every game invariably has at least one person sitting in the cap doing nothing or an rear end in a top hat doing nothing but shooting catapults into my back.

I also got kind of bored of it when I realized that grinding up won't really change the dynamic very much. I don't think people who are being forced to wait for the open beta are missing very much. There's a lot of work to be done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can Empire simulate the advantages of a column over a line when marching, or when charging?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can Empire simulate the advantages of a column over a line when marching, or when charging?

What would you say the advantage of a column is?

In total war terms, charge bonus is only applied to soldiers who make contact, so you want your regiment as wiiiide as possible.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its a lot less hassle to keep coordinated marching in a column vs marching in a line. less obstructions/different ground to cover.

like if you had a line of 50 normal people across and tried to walk across a field youd have problems if there was something like a mound/depression in it or if there was a patch of muddy/rough ground or whatever. plus just keeping lined up with everyone would be sort of a pain and it wouldn't take much for coordination to fall apart. now imagine if you were trying to get people to run; the whole thing would just dissolve in confusion unless everyone is on the exact same page at all times which is a lot to ask unless you practiced it a lot.

a column is a lot simpler for people to cope with in terms of maintaining coordination and its a lot harder for various sections to gently caress up and easier for people to get back in order if it happens. having a run would be easier since there's less people that can get away from the group by going too fast/too slow, and any disorganization can be sorted out by having the people in front slow down a bit to let everyone catch up; the fewer people you have in front, the easier that is to carry out.

when charging something scary, a column helps since there's fewer people that have to actually run themselves face first into scary stuff; everyone else is more or less blind to the scary stuff and thus more manageable.

basically a bunch of poo poo thatd be a pain to emulate ingame so just abstracting some bonus movement for having a column would be better.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

On the other hand I feel like Empire was pretty great at highlighting all of the tactical disadvantages to column formations, the most obvious of which is "twelve-pound wrought-iron slugs traveling at just barely subsonic speeds actually can't be stopped by passage through dozens of human bodies," and the second-most-obvious "in a column of fives at most only the first 10-15 dudes can fire their weapons at the enemy without being basically guaranteed to murder dudes wearing the same color jacket as them."

Historically speaking the transition from marching column to fighting line was one of the chancier maneuvers for gunpowder-equipped infantry which fight in parade lines, because as said above it was a period of extreme confusion. A lucky volley or artillery strike could very well incapacitate if not outright kill a large portion of a unit's officers and/or what we have now come to call NCOs, turning them into a big crowd of confused dudes who can't tell where they're supposed to be standing in relation to each other. If that unit is, say, the lead company in an advancing regiment, even companies with intact leaders are going to maneuver substantially less effectively, because they're relying on the companies ahead of them to determine where they themselves should be forming up. Sixty seconds, or even thirty, could well make all the difference between presenting a coherent, combat-ready front to the enemy or being overrun by a particularly alert cavalry formation. And a single minute is a pretty loving short time for a couple hundred dudes who are already at a minimum pretty rattled from taking serious fire when they weren't expecting to have to deal with that yet.

The same principle applies in general, with obviously-different particulars, to formation fighting anywhere and anywhen it is core to a given armed force's tactical doctrine. A Greek phalanx which takes a couple of boulders through its ranks just seconds before they need to be ready to receive a charge is in critical danger of becoming a crowd of dudes in metal pajamas waving stabby things around, an armor division might be capable of breaking through the infantry opposing it but if it gets too far ahead of its own supporting forces and the enemy infantry are able to get up close to the tanks with relative safety, mobility kills become increasingly likely.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unfortunately in most situations stretching the line as far as possible is the optimal way to move, aside from situations where you're twisting and turning in which case you form a square block formation.

TW games have decided to keep movement relatively simple for a lot of reasons, but what happens because of this is light infantry and light cavalry loses pretty much all their value(except when TW decides to give them better muskets than line infantry). Heavy infantry dominates RTW and light infantry is relegated to being the lower tier infantry you use until you get your heavy infantry. It's a huge flaw of the system, that and the way units don't work together very well.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Looking for a new TW game after playing Rome II. The reviews make me think Shogun is a better game than Atilla, but which one (Fots/regaluar) would you recommend if I only get one?

edit: nvm it's in the last two pages. Probably should be in the OP FAQ, given the whole "two nearly identical games for the same price" thing.

Refried Noodle fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 19, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It totally could, but it doesn't. All you'd need to do is tie a speed/fatigue malus to the width of the formation.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is there no way to order your army to retreat once you have realized that you've lost the battle in Attila? I remember in some previous game that i could click a withdraw button to make my unit rout off the map. I don't mean the retreat option before you begin the battle, but in-battle.

Edit: What happens if i click end battle? Will my remaining units escape?

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 20, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Back To 99 posted:

Is there no way to order your army to retreat once you have realized that you've lost the battle in Attila? I remember in some previous game that i could click a withdraw button to make my unit rout off the map. I don't mean the retreat option before you begin the battle, but in-battle.

Edit: What happens if i click end battle? Will my remaining units escape?

That in game retreat function only works if you have movement left on the campaign map. If you ran, and they caught you, there's no retreat option in battle.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

creative assembly is making halo (total) wars 2 for xbox and pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I have had Shogun 2 for a while, and went to the steam store to pick up ROTS, and steam says I can't purchase it without owning Shogun 2..?