Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I missed the prelims, how was the Neer fight?

He pulled out earlier this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lmao "We at Bellator embrace the Irish fighting spirit"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

lmao "We at Bellator embrace the Irish fighting spirit"

"Brennan, please put on a shirt"

"gently caress YOU BRO, I'M TOO JACKED!"

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So is Michael Page actually good? I'm still not sure.

re: http://streamable.com/j95x

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

colonel_korn posted:

He had a close fight with Nah-Shon Burrell, so...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

dancing IS the best base for mma, so maybe!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just watched the main card and thought it was pretty enjoyable, the last fight probably being my least favorite. My main takeaway was that I'd never seen Page fight before and holy loving lol do I want to see more of that now.

Also, as a goofy looking mid 40s grappler myself, I felt a strange kinship with Roger Carroll. While I admire the dogged determination with which he kept plodding forward I really would've loved to have seen that fight if he had tried some form of lateral movement.

As some guy plucked from the regional circuit, I was worried Dennis Olson might die in the ring against Daly, but I thought he did a very admirable job of getting to some decent positions and even having some attacks in the first round.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

colonel_korn posted:

I grew up with Rudy Bear's sister in law. Always crazy to see someone you know get murdered by a dancing Brit.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Always crazy to see someone you know get murdered by a dancing Brit.

I seriously doubt Cung Le or Jorge Riviera have loved ones, so this may actually be the first time in recorded history that's ever happened.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Vadim Finkelschtein posted:

When it comes to M-1 we are not really interested in any kind of co-promotion," Vadim said through a translator. "M-1 is a self-contained, European promotion which has no less than 12 shows a year, and this number is about to grow every year."

"It’s complicated to make a co-promotion. It’s a hard thing. It’s about money, and when it comes to Fedor, it's only his choice. He has a very wide choice of MMA organizations in the world, and who will make a better offer to him will get Fedor."

"I don’t think that a co-promotion with Bellator is possible. The other time when we co-promoted with Strikeforce [it was] because Fedor had a contract with M-1. Now it’s a different story. And, well to repeat what I said before, I want to say that M-1 don’t really need any co-promotion."

In the past, word is that Fedor was off put with Dana White's comments about him, and it was among the reasons he stayed outside the Octagon. Vadim says though, that none of that will matter especially during today's negotiations.

"Well I don’t think that story can influence somehow Fedor’s decision to choose UFC or any other MMA promotion. If they will make a good offer to him that will be good for himself, then he can accept this. Also Bellator can make a better offer. So I don’t think that situation can influence it somehow."

"Dana talked a lot. [He] talked a lot about Fedor, about Vadim, and he talked bad. But Fedor understands that it all was just PR. He’s not in a bad relations with Dana and he doesn’t feel anything bad about him."

Vadim was also asked about the chances of the UFC to finally sign Fedor, and whether the Reebok deal and potential loss of sponsors would affect his decision.

"I’m not sure, but I don’t think it’s going to be a big problem because I think Rebook is interested in Fedor as well as the UFC, and I think if they really want this they will find some ways."

"I think UFC have a big chance to sign Fedor. It depends on what offer they will make. If Dana would not only talk, but do some things [and] will make a good offer to Fedor, they have a big chance then."

My take - M-1 want a bidding war between Bellator and the UFC so they can get the biggest contract possible, so Vadim's walking back all their non-monetary demands.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fatherdog posted:

[url=http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/20/9002409/fedor-emelianenko-vadim-m-1-co-promotion-ufc-mma]

My take - M-1 want a bidding war between Bellator and the UFC so they can get the biggest contract possible, so Vadim's walking back all their non-monetary demands.

the bit about reebok is interesting. Russian mobsters love the poo poo out of tracksuits so there's brand synergy there.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
How valuable could Fedor possibly be at this point?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'd say higher than you might think. HW is a conspicuous wasteland right now, with a number of older guys having career resurgences (Arlovski, Hunt, Mir, Werdum), some of whom Fedor once demolished, or in Werdum's case, to whom Fedor suffered a loss that (dumb) people considered a fluke. Even Cro Cop has a win.

No matter where he returns, there would be a narrative much like George Foreman's later championship or even Couture-Sylvia: the old champion coming to put out the garbage fire of a terrible division and rule the mountain again.

Whether or not Fedor can actually get wins is immaterial to whether or not a promoter can make money off of that story. People will buy it. SATV:YONBHFTNA will certainly tune in for Fedor's return.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Fedor would probably be a legit top 5 heavyweight in the UFC, but that says alot more about the HW division than Fedor. The thing is, if he's commanding huge money, I don't even think it's worth it. Fedor is a big name but is he even that big of a draw in the sense that non diehard mma fans will buy a PPV with him on it the way they did with GSP/Silva/Brock? There are plenty of matchups at HW for him, and a rematch with Werdum for the title could potentially be a pretty big fight, but I just don't see the part where Fedor comes in and draws huge money unless he works his way up to a title shot. I guess he could probably beat Mir or Arlovski and then cut the line, but I think JDS or Cain would both gently caress him up.

And him signing with Bellator doesn't make much sense to me but I also think it's probably the most likely outcome. They can pay him a billion dollars and pop a few ratings on free TV but who on that roster could he fight that people would give a poo poo about? I guess Tito Ortiz at heavyweight could maybe do like, 100,000-125,000 buys, but that's not a great number considering what they'd be paying him.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I want to see Tito guillotine Fedor, that would own.

Have no interest in seeing him in legit fights with fighters I care about.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Bellator might be a better fit because he can get sponsorships on top of whatever money they offer him

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't think Fedor in 2015 is a top 5 HW even if HW is a trash fire.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
not top 5 but I could see top 10 and at worst top 15, which is insane when you consider he hasn't fought for 3 years and was already on the decline.

UFC doesn't need Fedor for matchmaking. They need him for expansion into Russia, a slight tick in PPV sales/live gate in the US, and even dumb stuff later on like being able to use all of his Pride + Strikeforce catalog. Bellator and WSOF and such are far behind UFC in all of those areas. That's why even if UFC throws too much money at Fedor they'll get some return on the investment pretty much no matter what. Bellator is going to be gambling more and WSOF even more than that.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I don't think WSOF can afford him. Fedor's going to get paid.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ty1990 posted:

And him signing with Bellator doesn't make much sense to me but I also think it's probably the most likely outcome. They can pay him a billion dollars and pop a few ratings on free TV but who on that roster could he fight that people would give a poo poo about? I guess Tito Ortiz at heavyweight could maybe do like, 100,000-125,000 buys, but that's not a great number considering what they'd be paying him.
Apparently Tito is up for it, though he wants Fedor to cut to 205 for the first time in his career for the privilege of fighting Tito Ortiz, because :ortiz:

quote:

"I think Fedor is signing with Bellator, and if he can get down to 205 I would love to fight him," Ortiz told Submission Radio. "I've always fought at 205, I will always fight at 205 because I know I'm in great shape when I fight at 205, but if Bellator could put that together; wow, can you imagine after I beat McGeary, me and Fedor for the light heavyweight title? That'd be amazing."

When asked why he appeared confident in Fedor joining him at Bellator, Ortiz cited the Russian's previous working relationship with Bellator CEO Scott Coker, as well as his recent appearances at promotional signings.

"Well, you know Scott Coker is a straight shooter and I know he's an awesome guy, and I know Fedor has had that great time with Bellator at the signings, and I know Scott Coker and Fedor are good friends, his managers are good friends with him. And you know it just seems like when you're in a good business relationship, things just make sense, and I don't know. We'll see.

"I can't let the cat out of the bag too soon, can I?"

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

fatherdog posted:

[url=http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/20/9002409/fedor-emelianenko-vadim-m-1-co-promotion-ufc-mma]

"We really, really need money right now. American money, not rubles."

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

quote:

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter
This is a new rendering of what the Bellator Dynamite arena will look like, per @DannyBrener
haha :eyepop:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That's about eight times too many fans to be realistic

also the cage and ring should be interconnected and if you successfully maneuver your opponent between them you have to change which rules you're fighting by

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

so going to this poo poo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
must suck to have ringside seats for one ring and be literally unable to see the other

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Didn't Bellator used to be the sensible one?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
they should just do it with two cages, one can have tito ortiz vs whoever in it and the other can be in a replica of the kansas city power and light district where you get to watch jared hess and toby imada

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I hope that poo poo's televised for free on Spike every event

Snowman_McK posted:

Hasn't been that way for a couple years at least

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

They were never sensible, they just didn't have enough money to do anything stupid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
But they had seasons, and cold logic governing who got title shots and stuff. I remember. It resulted in heaps of boring fights, then, every now and then, they'd have three flying knee knockouts or two reverse triangles in the one night.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I'm a bit floored that "Vadim Finkelschtein" is the name of an actual person and not an antagonist from a Mel Gibson movie

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

WCW World War 32

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh god that's actually going to be used for the one-night tournament with King Mo, and the main event of 2015 Tito fighting for a belt, that they announced on the Kimbo/Shamrock event :lol:

Yeah okay I'm ready for this clusterfuck to be aired

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
This morning I discovered and became a fan of The Catch Wrestling Koala Bear, who apparently got a win via Guillotine last night in DEEP.

Is there a legal way to view that fight via internet? Googling has failed me thus far.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kekekela posted:

This morning I discovered and became a fan of The Catch Wrestling Koala Bear, who apparently got a win via Guillotine last night in DEEP.

Is there a legal way to view that fight via internet? Googling has failed me thus far.

I think DEEP has a ustream page. Not sure if that's still happening now that Ustream is out of the payment processing business.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
http://mmajunkie.com/2015/07/former-ufc-title-challenger-current-wsof-contender-yushin-okami-dropping-to-welterweight

Yeah, I'm sure this will end well. Maybe we'll get to see the long awaited Shields/Okami rematch. That first one was a real barn burner.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Important updates on Ganryujima, the most important MMA promotion:

1. Results are out there for the second show, if you are so inclined as to spoil it for yourself

2. There's now a fuckin smoke moat

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

This is not the MMA we deserve but the MMA we need.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Don't post my childhood pictures online please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
If you missed the first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H03vZJ3Tmj4