Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
He's not out of the fight yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Merry Marauder posted:

If he's not out yet, then you should be able to aimed shot his RT clean off, dusk or no. I should be able to walk around directly behind the Thunder and give it a load of backshots. I think the cerb can actually run straight forward to break LoS from the Jinggau and Sha Yu, and the thunder would have 11?ish to hit it with the AC20. Not sure if the Cerb could return fire from there though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ah, just unconscious then. I was confused because PTN said that he considered counting that as a kill. Still, a bump up the Vengeance Counter for knocking out the Capellan CO sounds about right, since the Yu Huang pilot was their Captain equivalent after all.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 23, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ok, Here is a thing, ptn moved really bad, that penetrator can put a single large laser behind itself due to the masses of torso guns. So you can run that wardog up behind it, right next to the prone enemy boss, and FINISH HIM Either the penetrator or the enemy boss, pick one and fire everything into them, if you pick the unconcious enemy boss then remember to explictly call shot the ct to penetrate it and eliminate. :toot:

Other two can risk slipping on pavement to clear the thunders los and pursue the sha yu.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 20, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Ok, Here is a thing, ptn moved really bad

Hush. :p

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 20, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I love Atomik Krab posts because he's always the most bloodthirsty poster out there. FINISH HIMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

AtomikKrab posted:

Ok, Here is a thing, ptn moved really bad, that penetrator can put a single large laser behind itself due to the masses of torso guns. So you can run that wardog up behind it, right next to the prone enemy boss, and FINISH HIM Either the penetrator or the enemy boss, pick one and fire everything into them, if you pick the unconcious enemy boss then remember to explictly call shot the ct to penetrate it and eliminate. :toot:

Other two can risk slipping on pavement to clear the thunders los and pursue the sha yu.

Don't called shots have some awful to-hit penalties? Or do those not matter to someone who is completely immobile?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

Don't called shots have some awful to-hit penalties? Or do those not matter to someone who is completely immobile?

Called shots against a shutdown/unconscious pilot has a to-hit penalty but it's not as bad as the one for the TarComp.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Only if you target the head, do the penalties kick in. Else it's just an additional roll of 6-8 after the normal TH.

That said, if you (War Dog) do a death-or-glory for some reason, target the Penetrator.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Only if you target the head, do the penalties kick in. Else it's just an additional roll of 6-8 after the normal TH.

This is false.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

<snip>

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 20, 2015

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
A lot of excellent moves present themselves. We'll have a lot of time to go over them!

PTN's dice are swinging hard this time.

War Dog could run ahead 5 hexes and smash the Yu's rear if he's still in the fight.

Kial fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 20, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I told you guys you couldn't reverse up an elevation change. Bad War Dog! No biscuit! ;)

Current plan for the Cerebus - move to 0515, which should just barely break LOS to the Thunder, and unload on the rear of the Sha Yu. That'll keep me out of the range of most of the Penetrator's armament.

Someone should absolutely be hitting the Yu Huang while it's down. It's the single largest BV 'Mech on the field; give it no chances to get back up. Kill it kill it kill it good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

'Kay, remember the no copy-pasta of the rulebooks rule? 'Cause that's still in effect.

I was referring to the (potential) prone target penalty.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

It seemed easiest.

Naturally the non-adjacent prone malus will apply.

I'll take the shot, lancemates, if you guys want to continue the kerfluffle elsewhere.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Naturally the non-adjacent prone malus will apply.
Can't the War Dog get to 1517 and attack the Yu Huang from right next to it? I assume that would remove any additional shot penalties.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

For me. It will apply for me. As I am way the hell away.

If you are right next to (i.e. "adjacent") a prone 'Mech you in fact get a bonus to hit, but it seems a waste to get behind the Penny with pulse lasers and not backshoot it, not that I necessarily advocate that move.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Is the called shot really worth the risk considering the dusk mods etc? The NightStar and Dog would give him a hell of a pounding with almost auto hits.

Ardlen posted:

Can't the War Dog get to 1517 and attack the Yu Huang from right next to it? I assume that would remove any additional shot penalties.

Well that's nice then. But maybe regular shots for the Nightstar? We should have a look at the numbers.

Kial fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 20, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I feel constrained now from telling you what I need to hit, but yes, it is feasible.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
8s I'm thinking. Which is decent. With some secondary orders in case the War Dog finishes the job?

Next update should be exciting. When will the dice turn??

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Fours. I don't think secondary orders will be necessary.

(fives if I move up to shoot)

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 20, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

4 base immobile -4 prone at range +2? med range +2, targeting the head + 4 +1 dusk... a 9 I think to try to gauss snipe the napping commander, of course you can always target the center torso and just try to core him open at range and maybe crit him to death.

The numbers are just off the top of my head do not treat as accurate.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

4 base immobile -4 prone at range +2? med range +2, targeting the head + 4 +1 dusk... a 9 I think to try to gauss snipe the napping commander, of course you can always target the center torso and just try to core him open at range and maybe crit him to death.

The numbers are just off the top of my head do not treat as accurate.

I think the plan was to aim for the right torso because he has an XL engine and it is damaged already. So no head penalty.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Not to mention the AC ammo :ssh:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

War Dog is going to rush in behind the Yu Haung and called shot the RT. If its rear shots cause the thing fell forward great. Otherwise its still pounding a damaged RT. Gauss Rifle minimum range will be almost a nonfactor, everything else will be dead on. He's done for. THen I'm kicking the poo poo while its down. Cerb is going to get shotup this turn, there's no avoiding it so lets ghost target him and try to minimize the damage it takes from the penetrator. I'm thinking since we're in close quarters anyway, and the Sha Yu appears to have moved pretty sloppily this turn, that the Cerberus with Ghost Targets should move in to physical range of the shayu and give it what for. Maelstorm should get behind the Thunder imo and say hello and maybe get lucky with another kick. Nightstar should shoot either Sha Yu or Jinggau imo.

Yeah so potential for 2 knockdowns and a confirmed kill this turn, its looking really great.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

War Dog is going to rush in behind the Yu Haung and called shot the RT. If its rear shots cause the thing fell forward great. Otherwise its still pounding a damaged RT.

I wish you'd let me handle the Yu Huang and commit to stopping the flanking move of the Sha Yu and Jinggau. They might be able to interfere with our escape if they run free in the backfield.

If not that, the Penetrator has rear torso armor your pulses could crack if they don't disappoint and hit a leg or something.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 20, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Not taking arse-shots into the Penetrator? What sort of goon-lance is this?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I wish you'd let me handle the Yu Huang and commit to stopping the flanking move of the Sha Yu and Jinggau. They might be able to interfere with our escape if they run free in the backfield.

If not that, the Penetrator has rear torso armor your pulses could crack if they don't disappoint and hit a leg or something.

I mean I'm all ears for a good move but that seemed to be the obvious choice. It protects my right arm which gives me a gauss rifle and a MPL, the gauss rifle being explosive. I could target the predator instead with all weapons and allow you to get the kill as much as I want the kill on the Yu Haung since that fucker has AMS ammo somewhere I can reach.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

He's the war dog he can't help against the sha yu and jinggau, he can 100% help with the penetrator and yu huang though. And focusing fire is never the worst plan, might not be best but you can do a lot worse, so let viva help against the yu huang or backshot the penetrator, either is pretty good.

Gauss exploding is a non issue really, most of the guns left on the field will just take the arm clean off and thus avoid the explosion.

And they can't run free in the backfield, you are there in your big honking assault mech which they are going to have to fight on terrain favorable to the assault back there.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

He's the war dog he can't help against the sha yu and jinggau, he can 100% help with the penetrator and yu huang though. And focusing fire is never the worst plan, might not be best but you can do a lot worse, so let viva help against the yu huang or backshot the penetrator, either is pretty good.

Gauss exploding is a non issue really, most of the guns left on the field will just take the arm clean off and thus avoid the explosion.

And they can't run free in the backfield, you are there in your big honking assault mech which they are going to have to fight on terrain favorable to the assault back there.

I know who he is, thanks.

If Wardoggie is committed to the right side, I'd rather the Penetrator be the target, and that's the last time I'll say that, thank god.

That's not how crits work, unfortunately. (pg 124, TW, "Destroyed Location")

I want no part of a dude with 5 jump jets and that many lasers anywhere loving near me. Best to cut it off before it devolves into a scrum.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sit tight baby we gotcha. Changing orders to focus fire on the predator. I'm still kicking the Yu Huang though cause why not.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

That's not how crits work, unfortunately. (pg 124, TW, "Destroyed Location")

It's not, but it's one of the thread's "house rules." I figure a location being blown off is punishing enough for the players already.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Contingency orders can solve the issue. Ask for the Nightstar to shoot first, War Dog can finish him off if necessary.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kial posted:

Contingency orders can solve the issue. Ask for the Nightstar to shoot first, War Dog can finish him off if necessary.

Nah we're not doing that. Potential to kill two mechs in one turn is too high imo. I'm at a penetrators back and I can maim its internals or get a CT shot. Maybe set off the AMS or at least get some engines or a gyro crit. Too good. I'm hoping the combination of the Nightstar's guns+a well placed kick should do the trick. Is it possible to aim kicks for the RT or no?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't thiiiink you can aim kicks, but even if only one of the Nightstar's shots hit, a kick from you could hit that open RT or head. It's super likely that the Nightstar kills the Yu Huang if he aims at the RT though, I don't see a problem with going for the Penetrator with your shots.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Wouldn't it be loving sweet if the guy who got the 1st round headcap got a headcap with his kick too?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I told you guys you couldn't reverse up an elevation change. Bad War Dog! No biscuit! ;)

Current plan for the Cerebus - move to 0515, which should just barely break LOS to the Thunder, and unload on the rear of the Sha Yu. That'll keep me out of the range of most of the Penetrator's armament.

Someone should absolutely be hitting the Yu Huang while it's down. It's the single largest BV 'Mech on the field; give it no chances to get back up. Kill it kill it kill it good.

I thiiiink you need to go all the way to 0414 to break LoS from the Thunder. That means you can't kick the Sha Yu though, which is a lot of damage to lose out on. I think if you stick with your plan to go to 0515 I think the Thunder hits you with the AC20 on a 10, which isn't a huge risk at 16%, but the Jinggau will be able to unload on you with everything on 8s. It has flippy arms. I'm not sure what the best play for you is.

@The Merry Marauder, do you have to move off your hill to get los on the Yu Huang to FINISH HIM since he's prone? I'm not sure (And I think megamek is lying to me), but if you do hop down to 1307 then the Jinggau would definitely be focusing the cerb I think.

e: If the cerb backs to 0916 and faces 0815 it has 8s across the board to shoot the Sha Yu while breaking LoS from the Thunder and Penetrator. The Nightstar might want to stay up on it's hill in that case to try and get the Cappies to split fire since it's a lot more durable than the Cerberus.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 21, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gwaihir posted:

I thiiiink you need to go all the way to 0414 to break LoS from the Thunder. That means you can't kick the Sha Yu though, which is a lot of damage to lose out on. I think if you stick with your plan to go to 0515 I think the Thunder hits you with the AC20 on a 10, which isn't a huge risk at 16%, but the Jinggau will be able to unload on you with everything on 8s. It has flippy arms. I'm not sure what the best play for you is.

@The Merry Marauder, do you have to move off your hill to get los on the Yu Huang to FINISH HIM since he's prone? I'm not sure (And I think megamek is lying to me), but if you do hop down to 1307 then the Jinggau would definitely be focusing the cerb I think.

I don't believe I'll be able to get into the proper facing to kick the Sha Yu regardless; I can torso-twist to face it but I can't get the legs around. Looking at that, I'm liking 0414 better, actually, as it'll mitigate the minimum-range penalty for my Gauss shots on the Sha Yu. I'm likely going to be focused on this turn, so I may as well make the shots count where I can. Some Ghost Targets'd be awesome.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Welll I don't think you'll get coverage for this turn since the War Dog will be out of range and I can't overpower the Sha Yu's ECCM on my own. The War Dog can put his ghost targets on the Penetrator though, in case it takes a shot. at you instead of the Nightstar.

I'm guessing that even if I am outside the Sha Yu's ECCM coverage, I can't put ghost targets on a unit that is covered under it's ECCM right? Since there would have to be no field overlap at all.

You can definitely get facing for a kick if you want though- 1 MP to face 0716, 3 more to move to 0515, then 1 to face 0514. It just puts you at a run instead of a walk. If you walk to 0615 you can also kick, but then you won't even have a move mod, and the Thunder can AC20 you on a 9 (27%). So you're trading a +1 for you to hit for a +1 for them to hit you. But you have pulses at point blank range, too.

I'd sorta want to see what The Merry Marauder wants to do, if he's going to step up to his little plateau and plug the Yu Huang while being a tempting target, then I might take the more risky 515 move. If he steps down to break LoS from the Jinggau and Sha Yu then I'd probably play it a little safer and do 0916.

e: You could also just walk to 0515 and not turn for the kick, then you get your move mod and better shooting at the Jinggau and Sha Yu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
TIME TO ROLL THE PSR DICE!

(Submitting orders to Kool-aid man through the Titan's building to get behind the Thunder and kick it. I think that's 2, 3 PSRs?)

• Locked thread