Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
nsap's funny just turned into tragedy on a slightly longer timeline this time. :(

I haven't seen any video, but it happened on the outside of turn 1, which is a small kink over a blind rise in the middle of the front "straight". One rider lost power, threw their hand up, got hit by the pack, which started the chain reaction :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vog3KvHyojs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM8aSvQ9jTI

loving awful :(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Particularly sad after just seeing some videos about Dr. John.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/suzuka-event

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Suzuka related:

Stoner wiped the gently caress out

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Goddamn.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He looked like he was going too fast into that kink and the bobble from the front as he tried to recover didn't help.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

His throttle stuck open.

e: You can even see him pull the clutch in to try to kill drive, that's some quick thinking.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In case you guys aren't watching already:

http://www.livestream365.com/de/eurosport-2

Still got close to 4 hours left.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Crash fest so far

Smith and Pol could get their first win if their team can keep the bike on the track

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can hear it pinging off the limiter in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s51TBrRkLi0

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well that sucks. I just checked the GP standings wondering where he was in points and he's not there, when did he stop racing GP bikes and why?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

He quit GP after the 2012 season.

quote:

Stoner stated that he no longer enjoyed competing in the series, which was one of the contributing factors to his retirement. Getting away from the political stress of MotoGP, as well as having a desire to spend more time leisurely with his family were further reasons for his retirement.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The impression I got is that no one really respected him despite constantly winning and he was a drama magnet and cared a lot more about his family than continuing to make money. He already had a ton of cash and was set for life, why deal with frustrations if you don't have to. I think he got a lot more respect in retrospect when Rossi couldn't ride that Ducati for poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

hayden. posted:

The impression I got is that no one really respected him despite constantly winning and he was a drama magnet and cared a lot more about his family than continuing to make money. He already had a ton of cash and was set for life, why deal with frustrations if you don't have to. I think he got a lot more respect in retrospect when Rossi couldn't ride that Ducati for poo poo.

He was a drama magnet because he didn't play the game - his downfall was thinking that motorcycle racing at that level was about riding motorcycles fast.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He was the best rider of the 800 cc era and got no respect for it from most. He was that kid on the playground that didn't know how to respond to bullies.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He definitely seemed like the kind of guy who just couldn't take a joke and took everything to heart. Always got the impression Honda's soul-crushing corporate mentality didn't help in that respect, either. The MM team chanting thing makes my skin crawl every time I see it, it reeks of something they came up with in a boardroom as a team building excercise.

hayden. posted:

Everything I've seen and read leads me to believe that the ducati happened to be a bike that suited stoner's style right from the get-go. Rossi's style is completely different and ducati's terrible management and questionable engineering decisions prevented him from tailoring it into something he could win races on. Keeping in mind the M1 was considered an absolute dog when Biaggi was on it and he managed to turn that around pretty well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

The MM team chanting thing makes my skin crawl every time I see it, it reeks of something they came up with in a boardroom as a team building excercise.

What's that all about? I can respect him though for being tired of the political bullshit and wanting to be with his family, how can you fault a guy for that.

I don't follow GP as closely as I'd like to (lovely coverage in US) but I remember him giving Rossi fits. Helluva racer.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So what's the best place for GA ticket holders at Indy? I've decided I'm going to drive a car from Chicago rather than ride my bike there. It's a boring-rear end drive anyway and the road quality sucks.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Northwest Vista is pretty big and good views of the whole back section. If you get there for the moto3 race you should get a seat up near the top. I was planning on sitting at the mounds at turn and 10 this year but with the heat that we've had recently screw that. I think there is a GA stand in the t1-5 section as well but it's a smaller one that fills up quick.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Have you tried any of the infield areas or the areas by the lake?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah I've been in J, B and the NW Vista. That's what I was sayin, I was thinking about the mound at T10 cause there's usually some action there but if it is hot and sunny, gently caress that. I did the B stand last time and I'm probably going to do it or the E stand for one reason: They're covered. That shade is underrated and most of the passing happens in the T1-5 complex anyway. You see a ton of the track from the other end but the only action generally is a few passes into turn 10 then some fireworks on the last turn last lap.

I should probably buy my ticket actuallyh

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
So Johnny Rea could sit out the rest of the year and still win the championship unless Chaz Davis gets 5 wins and a 2nd. If he finishes 10th in any of the last 6 races he wins the title. This year has not just been GG for Johnny Rea, but EZ GG.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

So Johnny Rea could sit out the rest of the year and still win the championship unless Chaz Davis gets 5 wins and a 2nd. If he finishes 10th in any of the last 6 races he wins the title. This year has not just been GG for Johnny Rea, but EZ GG.

It's been pretty comprehensive. Really is a perfect rider + bike combination, he makes it look his bike just has more power and longer lasting tyres than sykes'.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

He's a loving champion who's deserved this for about 5 lovely years on a POS CBR.

It's even more dominant on a good bike than I imagined. It's been awesome to watch all season. Great racing this year in WSBK, even with the massive points lead.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
How about PJ Jacobsen winning WSS? I hope he stays healthy and fast, definitely looks good this season even after changing rides partway through.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Spiffness posted:

He's a loving champion who's deserved this for about 5 lovely years on a POS CBR.

It's even more dominant on a good bike than I imagined. It's been awesome to watch all season. Great racing this year in WSBK, even with the massive points lead.

Hey now his loyalty to Honda got him a lot of opportunities. Like that one time he got to ride Stoner's bike for a race.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiffness posted:

Must suck to be Davies. Blueball champion of the year.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Somehow, no serious injury for Guy Martin from his Ulster GP crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdm0_urUjw

http://www.motorsport.com/bike/video/main-gallery/guy-martin-crash-ulster-gp-2015

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Wow, he was lucky not to have hit that tree

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Heading there now. The plan was to wander around Vendors in the morning then find a place for GP Quali and wait for the two MotoAmerica races, but I'm getting a late start so I might miss vendors. My boss gave birth last night and it was breach so I was up waiting for updates and slept in.

I'll be up there with my dad then we're staying out of town I think cause I effed up and didn't book a room and it seems like there will be way more people there this year than normal. But if you see a tall, doofy guy with a beard and a buff and a Boys and Girls Club shirt, you can come back and say you saw nsaP in the wild. I think my dad will be wearing a stitched hat with Makers Mark on it (Kentucky!)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 8, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm only going there on Sunday. I'll be wearing one of my many MLP shirts (Applejack, maybe? I'll probably bring them all and decide when I get to the track) and either a fedora or a trilby.

I'm taking my car because gently caress the ride from Chicago to Indy on a bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Dang I'm paying extra for penthouse seats next year

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, they're not really that much more expensive.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Looks like McPhee made the right choice. I have no idea what's happening, waiting for it to settle out

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 9, 2015

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh come on this is just stupid

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Angryboot posted:

Oh come on this is just stupid

I saw that flash past and was like wtf but the other people watching it with me didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I had a laugh at that. Good thing too, as it was pretty much the best part of the race.

• Locked thread