Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
If you've never seen a 400% markup then you've probably never bought a fountain drink ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Booblord Zagats posted:

Northrop and BAE still exist

lol I keep forgetting that BAE has their pseudo-independent American branch.

However I don't consider them a viable prime. They're more in the level of Raytheon or L-3.

Top tier for aerospace is Boeing and LM. Then NG is kind of in between, because the bulk of their business is as a sub or non-aerospace prime stuff (like I mentioned before, stuff like cyber or avionics), but they still have the capacity to bid out as a prime on major projects (LRS-B). Then you have the second tier players, like Raytheon, L-3, and BAE...they are strong businesses in their own right and definitely have their niches (Raytheon basically has the targeting pod market cornered, L-3 owns all things SATCOM), but for various reasons they are not realistically going to successfully bid as a prime on a major aerospace project. It's just not the way their business is set up.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cole posted:

Way to be racist

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
God cole, it's afghanistanimation

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

iyaayas01 posted:

Frontline did a pretty good piece on ISIS, focusing on women...the focus of the episode was on a Yazidi man who runs an underground railroad to get Yazidi women/children out of slavery in ISIS held territory. Other things of note include:

- Interview with an unrepentant woman who was a member of the all-women ISIS morality brigade in Raqqa
- Pretty nuts hidden camera footage that some activists took in Raqqa ("covertly filming atrocities in ISIS held territory" would be on the list of jobs you could not pay me enough money to do)
- Video of a teenage girl in Syria getting literally stoned to death for "adultery," with her father casting the first stone.
- A toddler who was rescued pulling a finger across her throat when her mom asks her what ISIS did to the others that were held captive with them.
- Said mom having a PTSD episode/panic attack on camera about 20 seconds later into the interview.
- Interview with an 18 year old who was repeatedly gang raped by an ISIS commander and his bodyguards

Most of it is probably nothing new to most GiP regulars, but it's still worth a watch, especially for the underground railroad portions. The phone calls from the women who are still being held captive pleading to get rescued are particularly gut-wrenching.

The piece is up on Frontline's website, here's an interview from NPR with the guy who reported the piece.

ISIS is pretty much what every post apocalyptic story is all about. The only difference is I haven't heard of them doing cannibalism yet.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Fart Sandwiches posted:

God cole, it's afghanistanimation

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

krispykremessuck posted:

The investigation is ongoing. Incidentally, every husbanding agent/agency I've ever worked with was exactly that shady. Glenn Defense got caught, but it's basically all of them.

It's not because you're with the government, ship chandlers and port agents are like that when you're dealing with them as a civilian too. Maybe not as bad but... Once paid $70 a shovel for snow shovels that showed up with the $10 price tags from Home Depot still attached.

That's all without getting into the amazing concept of "cash discounts".

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

ded posted:

ISIS is pretty much what every post apocalyptic story is all about. The only difference is I haven't heard of them doing cannibalism yet.

Give 'em time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ded posted:

If they start building war rigs with flaming guitars it would probably improve their image tbh

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ded posted:

Welllll.....He's supposedly dead but some of his associates are probably in ISIS now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two Finger posted:

If they start building war rigs with flaming guitars it would probably improve their image tbh

Not to mention their marketing potential.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Two Finger posted:

Guitars are haram friend. So it'll just be some rear end in a top hat singing into a microphone on top of the War RIg

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bolow posted:

Guitars are haram friend. So it'll just be some rear end in a top hat singing into a microphone on top of the War RIg

Then set him on fire. Close enough. :shrug:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Bolow posted:

Sick auto-tune isn't though, you can probably make it sound pretty close to a guitar.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXRRYBNg0kc

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

FrozenVent posted:

It's not because you're with the government, ship chandlers and port agents are like that when you're dealing with them as a civilian too. Maybe not as bad but... Once paid $70 a shovel for snow shovels that showed up with the $10 price tags from Home Depot still attached.

I didn't say that it was because I was with the government. I know it's bad on the other side as well.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiImErzjkYo

mashallah :jihad:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7WaOZ_7Qg

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

If you want it cheap, go to HD and get it yourself. The markup is the only way chandlers make money. Yes, I realize TWIC, Visa, and other issues make it hard on your end to go on your own. For every $70 for $10 shovel you buy, it balances out the $11 for $10 someone else paid. Got to make it where it can be made.

In a past life, I've done husbandry agency for both commercial and government customers and it's a soul sucking pride depriving nightmare of a job. They want Mercedes S class service for Yugo pricing, and will spend DAYS arguing over a FedEx charge of $30. Government contracts are a whole other can of rotting worms based on my experience with the U.S. Navy and to a lesser extent the USCG.

Never. Again.

Just the thought makes me want to drink.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

iyaayas01 posted:

lol I keep forgetting that BAE has their pseudo-independent American branch.

However I don't consider them a viable prime. They're more in the level of Raytheon or L-3.

Top tier for aerospace is Boeing and LM. Then NG is kind of in between, because the bulk of their business is as a sub or non-aerospace prime stuff (like I mentioned before, stuff like cyber or avionics), but they still have the capacity to bid out as a prime on major projects (LRS-B). Then you have the second tier players, like Raytheon, L-3, and BAE...they are strong businesses in their own right and definitely have their niches (Raytheon basically has the targeting pod market cornered, L-3 owns all things SATCOM), but for various reasons they are not realistically going to successfully bid as a prime on a major aerospace project. It's just not the way their business is set up.
Fun fact, we both forgot about General Dynamics.

But speaking of L3, if you ever get bored, look up how many of their executives play musical chairs with the same positions at SAIC, it's a never ending swap. Mostly because thats pretty much what L3 was created as, a way for SAIC's ownership to own multiple points of interest in the same contract.

Man Tech is the same thing, but for general dynamics

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4J6Z1i-4AA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw5gn9yr27Q

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

My dick doesn't get as hard watching the Italians march

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

more linguine like but thats fitting i guess

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Booblord Zagats posted:

But speaking of L3, if you ever get bored, look up how many of their executives play musical chairs with the same positions at SAIC, it's a never ending swap. Mostly because thats pretty much what L3 was created as, a way for SAIC's ownership to own multiple points of interest in the same contract.

SAIC is no longer SAIC, now it's "Leidos." Guess SAIC as a brand got too much negative association. Apparently SAIC is still the name of the non-DoD/IC spin-off company that got created in the aftermath of the transition. But yeah, SAIC is probably king of the corruption revolving door swap when it comes to defense contractors.

Also I wouldn't consider GD as an aerospace prime, seeing as how they've mostly divested themselves of their aerospace business. Other aspects of defense contracting would be a different story (obviously they're way into the sub and shipbuilding game since they own Electric Boat), but aerospace wise they're a non-player.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^SAIC is still a thing, but they spun most of their direct military support into Leidos. I'm a bit fuzzy on where the line is though, because SAIC still does a bunch of direct work as well.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Northrop and BAE still exist

BAE won't be a primary on a front-line combat aircraft in the US until it's a subsidiary of Boeing or Lockmart.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Lockheed bought out GD's aircraft production division in the early 90s.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 20, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bolow posted:

what about sitars then
to be fair i'd be pretty happy with a dude singing allahu ackbar to the tune of hell march

Whip Slagcheek posted:

not the original hell march, 1/10

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
U.S. finally getting some payback in...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33591124

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donald Trump, surprise surprise, received a series of draft deferments to keep him out of Vietnam. Specifically 4 student deferments, and a medical one despite apparently being in fine health at the time. He's also bragging about getting Obama's birth certificate released, despite that proving absolutely nothing.

It's hilarious that Republicans are loving all the vile poo poo he's been spewing. I hope he is nominated because he's already lost the Black and Hispanic votes, and there's still plenty of time for him to find someway to offend Asians too.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I honestly can't believe people don't see him for the joke that he is. I mean sure he's a billionaire but once you inherit a shitload of money it's pretty hard to lose it. I've lost a ton of respect for a lot of people I know who unironically support the man.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Perot/Biden 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's going to pull out before the primaries with his donations and run, like 90% of insanely fail republican candidates do.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

he's going to pull out before the primaries with his donations and run, like 90% of insanely fail republican candidates do.
Maybe I'm just being taken in by his nonsense too, but it seems like he believes his own bullshit this time around.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love that Trump brought "Getting captured by the enemy doesn't make you a war hero" to primetime TV

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Casimir Radon posted:

Donald Trump, surprise surprise, received a series of draft deferments to keep him out of Vietnam. Specifically 4 student deferments, and a medical one despite apparently being in fine health at the time. He's also bragging about getting Obama's birth certificate released, despite that proving absolutely nothing.

It's hilarious that Republicans are loving all the vile poo poo he's been spewing. I hope he is nominated because he's already lost the Black and Hispanic votes, and there's still plenty of time for him to find someway to offend Asians too.

Dude, I'm relatively conservative in my politics and I'll happily tell you that Trump is a piece of poo poo. I'm hoping Sanders gets in the White House, mostly because if Hillary does it means we'll have had 20+ years of 2 families in the presidency with the exception of Obama. I don't care which 2 families it is, that's not OK.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
MIchelle & her daughter Dogface for president 2020 because according to the British press having toned arms is enough to be the best FLOTUS for a generation.

Also please let Trump become president, the drama would be fantastic.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Dogface? Whoa, mods???

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Donald Trump's super easy two-step plan to make yourself a millionaire.

1) Be born to a daddy that gives you billions.
2) Be Donald Trump.

loving low life poors, just follow the directions of your betters (and their hideous, hideous comb-over)

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Tommy Craggs and Max Read, the two editors behind the Gawker debacle, have both resigned.

:munch:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Tommy Craggs and Max Read, the two editors behind the Gawker debacle, have both resigned.

:munch:

Hopefully this is only the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Deadly blast hits Turkish town near Syrian border. 30 people killed in Kobane, a sight of conflict between ISIL and Syrian Kurdish defenders since late last yr. Suicide bomber.

---

Lockhead buying Sikorsky in 7.1b$ deal

--
US air strike in E Afghanistan have killed 7 afghan soldiers

• Locked thread