Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

After getting introduced to ACT and improving my DPS from poo poo to okay, I see that it also does functions like notifications for boss timers and abilities like Windower and DBM from WoW. Problem is all the information and configuration I can dig up is in moon language and there isn't a premade boss trigger config yet in english that I would have to figure all this out myself... unless someone else has!

https://github.com/anoyetta/act_timeline
of course there isn't a premade set of DBM things for it

they aren't necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is it fair game to call out the other healer if they're just sitting around waiting to heal to say "hey its okay to switch into cleric stance and DPS a bit" because I've been seeing that a lot lately in trials / raids. If it's MP management, it's really not that hard, at least for WHMs with shroud of saints and assize. At least throw some DoTs in.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Begemot posted:

Yeah I had a wipe on A1 because someone pulled before explaining the mechanics, but everything else was one shot in DF.

I was expecting something more like trying to do WoD on a Monday after all the horror stories in this thread, but everything went really smoothly.

So last Sunday (a week ago, not yesterday), I was running A1 repeatedly to try to get a drop. The groups were abysmal. Bombs going off left and right, DPS not getting healed through getting targeted, adds nomming on healers, one of the bosses 15% HP higher than the other, barely downing Faust before he used that buff-stack-doubling move of his that you're not supposed to drag the fight out long enough to see, etc. They ended in vote abandon after vote abandon, and none of the player names were consistent from one to the next.

The next day, Monday before reset, I figured "what the hell, I'll try again, I've already hit rock bottom so it can't get worse". Every group then proceeds to one-shot with impressively high DPS. :shrug:

It was probably just a weekend thing, but it surprised me that weekend trumped day-before-reset so handily.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Is it fair game to call out the other healer if they're just sitting around waiting to heal to say "hey its okay to switch into cleric stance and DPS a bit" because I've been seeing that a lot lately in trials / raids. If it's MP management, it's really not that hard, at least for WHMs with shroud of saints and assize. At least throw some DoTs in.

The tank has all str accessories so the healer needs to keep on top of keeping his glass jawed rear end up.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Stormgale posted:

You don't need expansion to go above 50, only to get new classes races and ishgard areas

Yeah, this is wrong. Since this seems to be confusing a lot of people, going through the patch notes:

Heavensward 3.0 Patch Notes posted:

[3.0] Level 50 main scenario quests introduced prior to patch 3.0 will now grant experience points upon completion.

[3.0] The level cap for all Disciples of War and Magic has been raised to 60.

The [3.0] means that these changes only apply to people with the expansion. So you do need the expansion to get past level 50 and you also need it to get XP from the level 50 story quests.

Whether or not that's worthwhile I can't really say since I had already completed the story prior to Heavensward launching, but if you're expecting to just go straight into Heavensward once you complete the story, I'd say go for it.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

Xenoveritas posted:

Yeah, this is wrong. Since this seems to be confusing a lot of people, going through the patch notes:

The [3.0] means that these changes only apply to people with the expansion. So you do need the expansion to get past level 50 and you also need it to get XP from the level 50 story quests.

Whether or not that's worthwhile I can't really say since I had already completed the story prior to Heavensward launching, but if you're expecting to just go straight into Heavensward once you complete the story, I'd say go for it.

The experience you get is... low. However, you're still "doing it" because you want to rush to finish it so you can access the expansion. I think I get around 5k per quest for the 50's (I was behind / level 44.) That being said, running the level 50 instances is crazy experience. Daily completion of the story quest duty finder, for instance, yielded me around 120k.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I have never successfully coaxed someone into actually not wasting GCDs waiting for someone to take damage, but you're welcome to try :v:

EDIT: I've also noticed a lot of healers these days spending times of low damage literally jumping around the arena, casting no spells and doing nothing productive.

Leal posted:

The tank has all str accessories so the healer needs to keep on top of keeping his glass jawed rear end up.
Why the hell are you still stuck on this?

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 20, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Xenoveritas posted:

By the time I was done with all the 2.x story missions I was about 1/2 through level 52.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Leal posted:

vitality does not grant more defense

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Ryanbomber posted:

I have never successfully coaxed someone into actually not wasting GCDs waiting for someone to take damage, but you're welcome to try :v:

EDIT: I've also noticed a lot of healers these days spending times of low damage literally jumping around the arena, casting no spells and doing nothing productive.

did not pay attention to his canary dying, and now he is lost forever to the salt mines

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I literally dinged 50, saw that I was getting 0 XP for anything I did, went out and bought the expac, and started getting XP again. You need the expac to go above level 50.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

seiferguy posted:

They are the loving worst. When I WHM, I start nearly every encounter (esp. bosses) with a CS-A3-Virus-A2-A1-CS-Divine Seal-Regen opener. Followups usually include throwing down a bubble or even a MedicaI II. Those buffed HoT's, even HoT's in general, definitely give a WHM plenty of wiggle room to throw out DoT's. Hell, even a non-Cleric Stanced Aero is better than nothing, and comes with an instant cast time. From what I've read in the thread thus far, not putting out some effort toward DPS is even more aggregious for SCH's, since they are based fully on DoT's.

Note: Spending the past 10-15 seconds of a fight throwing out Presence of Mind, Cleric'ed Stone III's is the best.

Edit: My note was wrong. The best thing is out-DPS'ing pubbie players in the Faust fight before A1 proper.

Forward_Bee fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 20, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I did the quest to unlock AST last night, and I wish that when you're in a duty your NPC allies would be in the party box.

Also, I'm not sure I get AST. Admittedly, I haven't gotten far with the other two Healing Jobs, but having buffs set by random draw seems like it would make for a lot of confusion.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ryanbomber posted:

For responses like this

SirPhoebos posted:

I did the quest to unlock AST last night, and I wish that when you're in a duty your NPC allies would be in the party box.

Also, I'm not sure I get AST. Admittedly, I haven't gotten far with the other two Healing Jobs, but having buffs set by random draw seems like it would make for a lot of confusion.

Give it a few days, you'll memorize which card gives what buff. Just be ready for the simple fact of the buffs being RNG to run a dungeon and not pull a single balance (damage buff)

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It doesn't take long to realize you only care about 1 the buff and 2 cards for royal road.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Forward_Bee posted:

They are the loving worst. When I WHM, I start nearly every encounter (esp. bosses) with a CS-A3-Virus-A2-A1-CS-Divine Seal-Regen opener. Followups usually include throwing down a bubble or even a MedicaI II. Those buffed HoT's, even HoT's in general, definitely give a WHM plenty of wiggle room to throw out DoT's. Hell, even a non-Cleric Stanced Aero is better than nothing, and comes with an instant cast time. From what I've read in the thread thus far, not putting out some effort toward DPS is even more aggregious for SCH's, since they are based fully on DoT's.

Note: Spending the past 10-15 seconds of a fight throwing out Presence of Mind, Cleric'ed Stone III's is the best.

Edit: My note was wrong. The best thing is out-DPS'ing pubbie players in the Faust fight before A1 proper.

The fight that spawned my question was an A1, at the beginning of the fight the damage isn't that bad but here's this fully law'd out gear WHM just staring and casting cure when the tank gets to 70% health. I said "hey you know how to DPS right?" And the healer didn't respond. Made me feel like it was a bot. We ended up wiping, the healer dropped and we got a SCH that actually knew a thing or two.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like pretty much every one of the Astro card. Granted, spire is only good for royal road and spear can have limited usefulness as cast. Either way, I can work with pretty much any combination of RR and card draws and feel it's useful.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

seiferguy posted:

The fight that spawned my question was an A1, at the beginning of the fight the damage isn't that bad but here's this fully law'd out gear WHM just staring and casting cure when the tank gets to 70% health. I said "hey you know how to DPS right?" And the healer didn't respond. Made me feel like it was a bot. We ended up wiping, the healer dropped and we got a SCH that actually knew a thing or two.

After running A1 quite a bit, I've come to find that it's timings are almost perfect for WHM abilities, esp. if the mechs are tanked East-West. You can just throw out regens to the tanks and keep everyone up with MedicaII's, saving rear end Size for when you all run to an edge during jump cycles. The rest of the fight can be spent keeping up DoT's and even taking part in some StoneIII's. Since there are 2 healers for that fight, I'm almost offended that one in your group wasn't doing anything.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

seiferguy posted:

As a 51 White Mage, I would love / could use any tips that anyone wants to give. I tend to try to DPS when I notice damage isn't being kick out a lot.

I realize I'm in super easy places right now and doing old content. Still; learning now will help me in the future.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Leal posted:

If your tank is glass jawed then he's either got subpar leftside gear (defense Actually Matters) or isn't using cooldowns well (or at all). Occasionally this is combined with bigger pulls than the tank (or the party as a whole) can reasonably handle. Or on a fight with mechanics, it may be some mechanic execution screw-up.

Strength accessories range from "just fine" to "preferable" for pretty much everything. More threat (which means DPS can go nuts more readily), and more personal damage, both mean the fight ends sooner. Best defense is a good offense, after all.

Vitality accessories can occasionally be nice for an extra cushion when it comes to learning/surviving healing/tanking mechanics or working with an unfamiliar healer.

It's basically "wear enough vitality to reliably survive, fill out the rest with strength", and more often than not, "enough vitality to reliably survive" is "zero vitality accessories".

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.

Anasurimbur posted:

As a 51 White Mage, I would love / could use any tips that anyone wants to give. I tend to try to DPS when I notice damage isn't being kick out a lot.

I realize I'm in super easy places right now and doing old content. Still; learning now will help me in the future.

It's honestly not that difficult, at least once you get a feel for all your buttons. For me, since I use a controller, the first step was getting my hotbars set up in a way that made sense. After that, you just learn when to use what. As a general rule, throwing out Healing Over Time (HOT's) Spells early in the fight is a great idea, since they will pretty much guarantee you time to put out some Damage Over Time (DoT's) Spells like the Aero line. Picking up debuffs from other classes such as Virus is also nice, since it lowers damage output of whatever is trying to kill your tank.
Pyshcologically your next biggest hurdle will be realizing that having a tank dip down to 50% HP is fine, esp. if they have HOT's on them. The confidence to do this will come with experience, both in general and of specific dungeons/fights.

Another tip: Pick up Swiftcast ASAP. It drops from THM at lvl26 (I think?), and it WILL save you from wipes if a tank drops somehow mid-boss. A Swifted Raise is something you have to have at the ready when poo poo hits the fan. Otherwise, Swifted Stoneskin II's after every fight is a nice little way to give you time to throw out DOT's when the next fight begins. Plus Stoneskin looks cool when cast.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

A3 does, in fact, have a hard enrage. At some point the boss will cast a Cascade with a longer cast time, and when it goes off you'll wipe.

Just like people questioning A1's hard enrage, it makes me legitimately sad for myself that some people question if they exist.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Anasurimbur posted:

What I tend to do is be in cleric stance before a pull, mainly so I can switch it off at any point, since turning it on has a 5 second cooldown to turn it off. I start with Aero 2 > Aero (you'll start with Aero 3 once you unlock it since it has a 24 second DoT) to get my DoT going, then Stone 2/3 until the tank is starting to get around 60-50%, drop Cleric Stance and start healing. Once the tank is in a reliable place and the mobs aren't huge, I'll throw a regen on him, then go back into CS, and apply any DoTs that have worn off and then back to my Stone spells. Using divine seal before any HoT spells (Medica 2 and Regen) will increase the amount of healing regenerated, and divine seal only has a 1 minute cooldown. Combine Medica 2, Regen, and Asylum (which you'll unlock) and your tank should have plenty of HoT for you to DPS for awhile until those wear off.

If you switch into CS and things immediately go haywire to where you can't wait 5 seconds for the cooldown to be done, stoneskin is unaffected by mind / intelligence and you can cast that to allow the tank some breathing room to turn off CS and start healing.

One thing I haven't figured out with the new rotation is if Aero is still worth casting over Stone 3, since Stone 3's potency is higher than that of a full Aero, but Aero has instant cast, which can be beneficial in some cases.

edit: it should go without saying, but never cast your HoTs before a pull since that will generate enmity and make the mobs come after you. If a HoT hasn't dissipated since the last encounter, stick close to your tank so they can use flash / whatever AoE enmity generating tool to pull them off of you.

edit 2: to echo the previous poster, swiftcast is great, and not just for raise. I use it for medica 2 all the time because I'd rather have people stay alive than have to revive them :v: (also to avoid the MP hit from Raise)

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 20, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Anasurimbur posted:

It mostly comes from experience, and getting a feel for how long a tank will survive.

When I'm conservative I have a 7 second rule. I try to think of it like - if I stop healing 100%, will the tank die in 7 seconds (3 global cooldowns)? If he'll be fine, you have time to go into cleric, throw off two spells, turn off cleric, and throw a cure 2. And 7 seconds is really only three attacks and not very much time at all, if you're unsure of yourself you can probably do the bare minumum (cleric, aero2/stone3 *2, cleric off, heal to full) quite often.

Another thing to remember is Holy has a stun. If the tank is OK, you can hit cleric, cast holy, and by the time the stun wears off you can have cleric off and have most of a cure cast.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hey how long does the pbc FC wait to kick afk kick people out from the FC? My subscription just ended, but I'm definitely planning on re-subbing in at least 3 days' time. Will I be fine idling in the FC until then?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You can follow up casted stuff with the instants almost immediately, so I'd just pop aero 2 and immediately hit aero when it's done. Although I might be remembering wrong. (Thinking of ruin 1 -> ruin 2 will hit at the same time; and of off gcd abilities like mug or jugulate) I haven't played whm in a long time.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

bonewitch posted:

What exactly is your point? Because if its "no one player can make that big of a difference", you're 100% wrong.

all it takes is one person to either guide the group or identify the weak member in the group and remove them. Sometimes you have to kick a dude, but if every group youre in is failing on any current content I have really bad news who the bad one is. Theres nothing painfully hard right now so...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

pandaK posted:

Hey how long does the pbc FC wait to kick afk kick people out from the FC? My subscription just ended, but I'm definitely planning on re-subbing in at least 3 days' time. Will I be fine idling in the FC until then?

I think they sort by last online and I'm sure people go longer than 3 days without playing. You'll be fine. if you're really worried post in the afk thread on ffgoons

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

pandaK posted:

if you dont log in every 6 hours you are booted permanently from the FC and your room is sold to miquote of ill repute.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

pandaK posted:

Just days? You'll be fine.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Pierson posted:

Just days? You'll be fine.

this is a lie, quickly resub and steal all the soil from the guild chest before they screw you, screw THEM first.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Forward_Bee posted:

This is sort of a nitpicky thing but you don't really want to throw out Virus willy-nilly. It doesn't really matter for most content but you generally want to use it to reduce big hits/aoes and its super annoying when you can't put it up because someone used it randomly on the boss as part of their rotation.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

How much DR does Virus end up being, anyways? Around the stated 15%?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

pandaK posted:

As I recall, we typically boot people who haven't logged in for 60 days or more periodically. If we're really squeezed for space and have tons of demand, I think we've done 30-day kicks.

You're fine either way if you log in within 3 days and were on just a day or two ago.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Spaceman Future! posted:

all it takes is one person to either guide the group or identify the weak member in the group and remove them. Sometimes you have to kick a dude, but if every group youre in is failing on any current content I have really bad news who the bad one is. Theres nothing painfully hard right now so...

On a related note, it's very possible to be quite good at doing your job while dealing with any appropriate mechanics on a gameplay front, but bad at the social aspect of being willing to cull the people who aren't (and, more to the point, aren't improving), and/or cultivate regular connections with other people who are also good.

This particularly comes up if you've got a bunch of friends who want to do harder content together. Sometimes the people you like as people aren't necessarily the people you like as players. A lot of us know someone who fits the bill of "that one really nice person who tries really hard and means really well, but still does 1/2 to 2/3 the DPS they ought to do for their job and gear level, or consistently reacts too slowly to mechanics".

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
With all the talk of tank cooldown rotations lately, is there a particular cooldown order that is considered optimal for DRKs?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
drat! BugdadEX down in 4:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhmbzwASX0

I still haven't done the encounter yet. Seemed like everyone did it the first week and stopped doing it like BismarkEX :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vil posted:

This particularly comes up if you've got a bunch of friends who want to do harder content together. Sometimes the people you like as people aren't necessarily the people you like as players. A lot of us know someone who fits the bill of "that one really nice person who tries really hard and means really well, but still does 1/2 to 2/3 the DPS they ought to do for their job and gear level, or consistently reacts too slowly to mechanics".

This is why I'll probably never do progression type stuff, because I either AM that guy (though I kinda doubt it) or would be wracked with guilt over seeing that guy be tossed on his rear end, whether I pulled the trigger or not. :smith:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

ghostinmyshell posted:

drat! BugdadEX down in 4:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhmbzwASX0

I still haven't done the encounter yet. Seemed like everyone did it the first week and stopped doing it like BismarkEX :smith:

people are still doing bismarck all the time tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ciaphas posted:

This is why I'll probably never do progression type stuff, because I either AM that guy (though I kinda doubt it) or would be wracked with guilt over seeing that guy be tossed on his rear end, whether I pulled the trigger or not. :smith:

Just promise him a carry after you've got it on farm. He might still be upset but at least he'll get a clear.

• Locked thread