Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Stymie posted:

wait is the lack of ethics the fact that their story got pulled or that they were willing to smear a non-public figure because the story was particularly salacious?

the former, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jetz0r posted:

schwans had a free item promo a few years ago, getting that gallon of ice cream delivered was the first and only time i've seen one of their trucks.

in my home neighborhood, the old people who lived across the street had schwan's deliver every week.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

As a Millennial I posted:

the former, lol

Bloggers Enraged When Posts Held to Journalistic Standards

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evernote hires manager of google glass to be ceo

quote:

Evernote got off to a rocky start, but for a healthy stretch now, it has looked like a model Silicon Valley startup. It makes a highly useful product for taking and organizing notes, has 150 million users, and is the rare company here not to derive its revenues through invasive ad targeting. Instead, it sells subscriptions to power users and businesses, and hosts a quirky online marketplace for premium Evernote-branded goods. But over the past 18 months, the company has faced a drumbeat of complaints over its increasingly bloated, unfocused product. It decided not to hold its annual user conference this year. And last month, CEO Phil Libin abruptly said he wanted to step aside to let someone else take over day-to-day operations at the company.

Today that split is official. Libin will take the title of "executive chairman," and continue to work on the product, the company says. Chris O'Neill, who previously ran business at Google Glass, is the new CEO, and will focus on building a sales team and preparing the company for eventually going public. In an email interview with Recode, O'Neill offered up some empty boilerplate: "Global user growth looks strong as do early returns on recent monetization efforts. User growth and revenue are the oxygen for any successful company so we'll be looking to double down on this traction."

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

yeah I'm iffy on the gawker thing, business side pulling editorial content is the worst and a destruction of journalistic standards, but that post was so over and above what should be considered acceptable in the first place - an exec at an ad firm trying to engage in consensual sex is not the same poo poo as Bill Cosby. the editorial staff would have been smart to not publish it to begin with

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
wasn't the exec c-level at a competitor too? which makes the poo poo doubly shady

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shifty Pony posted:

i imagine it will depend on how healthy the underlying business model is. there is probably enough margin in the grocery courier market (especially targeting whole foods customers) that instacart can handle paying employees. uber, handy, and the like on the other hand are royally hosed because they aren't going to be able to pay wage + mileage at the rates they use and the value they add is insufficient to command a premium and still retain their present market share/growth.

is online grocery shopping unusual in the usa? all the major stores over here do delivery with proper decently-paid employees etc, i just take it for granted.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Soricidus posted:

is online grocery shopping unusual in the usa? all the major stores over here do delivery with proper decently-paid employees etc, i just take it for granted.

i never saw it till i lived in france, but tbh i lived in the south

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

evernote hires manager of google glass to be ceo

I guess it's time to pull any personal info off Evernote before it gets indexed to hell and marketed back to me

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
grocery delivery exists in a lot of places but ime it is the domain of old people

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soricidus posted:

it's usually not any cheaper and same day delivery is very unusual/expensive.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ruby idiot railed posted:

wasn't the exec c-level at a competitor too? which makes the poo poo doubly shady

the cfo of Conde Nast

so this is so beyond the pale of acceptability that anyone actually defending it can be safely ignored

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Soricidus posted:

its usually only in cities that you'd even bother, otherwise it'd be cheaper to just drive over

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i can't get enough Gamer Tears https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/623163993889214464

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Angry Atheist Guy who says Fuckwit a lot. Twitch Livecaster. Not going to take your sh*t, so don't waste your energy. http://ask.fm/PottyMouthGamer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

every major grocery store will do delivery for free or cheap.

these idiots have nfc

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

She has nothing to fear. I am looking out for her best interests, and also keeping her surgically tightened pussy completely filled with my swollen, diseased tongue.

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i really do not understand the explosion of grocery delivery startups

are people that afraid of picking up a phone

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

i imagine it will depend on how healthy the underlying business model is. there is probably enough margin in the grocery courier market (especially targeting whole foods customers) that instacart can handle paying employees. uber, handy, and the like on the other hand are royally hosed because they aren't going to be able to pay wage + mileage at the rates they use and the value they add is insufficient to command a premium and still retain their present market share/growth.

there's also the question of how much the vc cash flow is going to shrink. if these companies start obeying laws and paying their workers, then they're not disruptive companies revolutionizing the future of labor anymore, they're just regular old companies but with apps. a lot of them spend money like crazy because they expect to be able to survive off the vc teat - even if they could manage to pay their employees and still be profitable, they won't be exciting enough to keep the vc money flowing in, and then they're just competing fairly against already existing competitors

Rexicon1 posted:

I still cannot fathom how Uber convinces people to work for them.

people loving love "be your own boss" stuff, the upfront pay looks better than other lovely jobs, and it takes a while for the expenses and risks to really make themselves blindingly obvious. given a choice between flipping burgers for eight bucks an hour at the whims of jackass manager on a schedule you might only know a week in advance, or driving whatever hours you like at twelve bucks an hour with no visible boss to report to, it's no surprise people choose the latter

until their engine shits itself and they have ti get everything repaired, and then right after they get the car fixed, a drunk guy barfs all over their seat and then punches them in the head, causing them to get into an accident which their own insurance won't cover, and after they pay to get their car fixed again they realize they've got no money left for tax day. but it can take a few months or more for any of that to happen, and in some cases people can drive for years without realizing the damage theyre doing or the risks they're taking

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wait so you mean you need to phone up a store and and read them out a list of items, over the phone, to have it delivered? because that isnt convenient at all

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i actually am that afraid of picking up a phone, i would not get groceries delivered if it was necessary

fortunately online delivery just involves going to the supermarket website and clicking on the things i want. the one i use doesn't even charge any fee at all if your order is large enough, i'm not sure how a startup is going to come up with a business model to compete with that?

even if they charged a fee, it would still be worth it because it saves so much time vs. driving over, walking round trying to find stuff to put in a cart, standing in line to pay, etc. when i could just click a few buttons and get right back to the important things in life, like posting in the yospos tech bubble thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

young people are. my sister's been waiting for her previous landlord to return her deposit for over a month now, but she won't actually call. she just sends text messages and gets delayed responses like "sorry, i'll send it to you later!"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
when my mom got her hip replaced she used vons.com to deliver and it wAS epically free iirc but then again... vons...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

peapod has been doing online ordering since loving 1996, though to be fair they only operate in a few metro areas (fewer these days then they once did, because a supermarket chain bought them out so now they only do stuff from their parent company's stores)

i think a lot of the grocery delivery 1099 startups just don't bother to check that it's already available int heir area with a steady customer base, or are aware but think they won't have to pay a fee to the store or something and thus still make money lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Valeyard posted:

wait so you mean you need to phone up a store and and read them out a list of items, over the phone, to have it delivered? because that isnt convenient at all

that type of service has been available in the US since the early 80s at the latest, some stores/areas simply don't bother to go further but most majr metros oyu can do it online

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

young people who live in san francisco are inconvenienced by it so now it's a thing

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

fart simpson posted:

young people are. my sister's been waiting for her previous landlord to return her deposit for over a month now, but she won't actually call. she just sends text messages and gets delayed responses like "sorry, i'll send it to you later!"

that's just lazy entitlement though. I hated making phone calls then I got a job in management and it's like "you want something done then call". if she really gave a poo poo about the deposit she'd be on it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Soricidus posted:

no, but most people don't realize it exists, not all stores do it. also it might not exist in all regions since the us is loving huge and most of it has a low population density

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

that type of service has been available in the US since the early 80s at the latest, some stores/areas simply don't bother to go further but most majr metros oyu can do it online

Main Paineframe posted:

no, but most people don't realize it exists, not all stores do it. also it might not exist in all regions since the us is loving huge and most of it has a low population density

if you don't live in a major metro area sf or maybe austin then the startups won't change that anyway, like none of them operate anywhere with low population density

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i speak into telephone daily :smug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

huge influx of people who are used to driving to one giant store to get stuff and can't now
the fastest growing neighborhoods have the fewest stores and the ones they have are classic "food desert" corner stores
local stores might be suspiciously ethnic or not carry their preferred brands

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bassguitarhero posted:

that's just lazy entitlement though. I hated making phone calls then I got a job in management and it's like "you want something done then call". if she really gave a poo poo about the deposit she'd be on it

yeah i guess. she really does need the money and she was bitching about it to me though. i was like, just make a phone call, but she won't, and neither will the other three girls she lived with

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

fart simpson posted:

yeah i guess. she really does need the money and she was bitching about it to me though. i was like, just make a phone call, but she won't, and neither will the other three girls she lived with

this sounds like something out of an abc sitcom

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fart simpson posted:

My brother is like this, he refuses to even setup his voicemail because "I don't believe in phone calls". He even got pissed when I tried to set it up just in case there was an emergency.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, but they are afraid of something else

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i hate phone calls to but for some reason there are certain people that won't do poo poo for you over emails. what are ya gonna do

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

qirex posted:

suspiciously ethnic

19 characters is good right?

mods plz

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

quote:

New research out this week from the National Bureau of Economic Research (paywall) looked at risk-taking in the stock market and found that environmental factors (not genetic) most influenced behavior, pointing to the fact that risk tolerance is conditioned over time (dispelling the myth of an elusive “entrepreneurship gene“).

For creative professions, starting a new venture is the ultimate privilege. Many startup founders do not take a salary for some time. The average cost to launch a startup is around $30,000, according to the Kauffman Foundation. Data from the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor show that more than 80% of funding for new businesses comes from personal savings and friends and family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Hasters posted:

My brother is like this, he refuses to even setup his voicemail because "I don't believe in phone calls". He even got pissed when I tried to set it up just in case there was an emergency.

my friend is like this. 'Comcast is chargin us $100 a month now, what the hell'. I told him same thing happened to me, I called and got it fixed. His response 'Ok, I try calling later'. Never ever called, over paid for months. in fact, comcast, etc RELY on people hating making phone calls so they can make bucks like this.

• Locked thread