Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
They actually had working pipboy clock for FO3's collector's edition that you could wear as a watch, or put on a stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I wish this was real

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Raygereio posted:

They actually had working pipboy clock for FO3's collector's edition that you could wear as a watch, or put on a stand.

The electronics on that thing lasted an entire week for me.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I had completely forgotten that thing existed. Though now that it has been mentioned I remember everyone taking issue that it was also just a cheap plastic clock they were charging a shitload for way back when it was announced. Maybe that's why they had such a limited supply this time around?

You also had other options as well for FO3 than just the usual standard and collector's editions. Mine just came with a lunch box and bobblehead.

They sure have learned a thing or two about stoking the hype train since then, though. I'm just gappy they didn't go with the million different pre-order bonuses depending on where you ordered it from thing that so many other big budget titles have gone with.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Are we gunna take guesses about how long until the first DLC comes out?

With most games now I tend to (if I even beat the game in the first place) avoid all the DLCs and never get around to playing them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Depends on if certain favorite mods don't become the first DLC for consoles whilst they possibly make some real new content.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They sure have learned a thing or two about stoking the hype train since then, though. I'm just gappy they didn't go with the million different pre-order bonuses depending on where you ordered it from thing that so many other big budget titles have gone with.

There's no point in trying to court favor with stores when you make a stupid amount of money on an IOS game.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 20, 2015

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
^^^This is a lesson most publishers will never learn.

I'm guessing a DLC will drop before or at the next E3, but I don't expect Bethesda to have an event there like they had this year. Next time they do it, it'll be when the next Elder Scrolls game is ready.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 20, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sout posted:

Day-one dog armor DLC, calling it now.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Rutibex posted:

Day-one dog armor DLC, calling it now.
What if the game already has dog armor?

Dog Power Armor.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Accessible after joining up with The Bowserhood of Steel

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Bethesda's good about DLC, at least in terms of amount and variety of content, and if I get this game it'll probably be whatever "Ultimate Edition" they end up bringing out.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Inverness posted:

What if the game already has dog armor?

Dog Power Armor.

I would unironically buy this if they didn't change the dog AI.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dog mounted minigun.

No, wait

Dog mounted Fat Man. Call it the Good Boy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dog-mounted aoe flamer.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Doggles

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This is fallout by Bethesda, the dog has a nuke strapped to it. Or has eaten nukes and now breathes Atomic Breath like Godzilla.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

evilmiera posted:

This is fallout by Bethesda, the dog has a nuke strapped to it.

So basically a Fallout version of this:

The dog runs right between the behemoth's legs, the lever delivers a dick/donkey punch, then the bomb goes off and it gets a kiloton blast to the taint. Throughout all this the behemoth stands there occasionally flinching as it's health bar goes down to 75%.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Just a little tiny doof wagon outfit for your dog, complete with tiny little doll with flameguitar

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Raygereio posted:

i dont think you could wear it. it was pretty small. I still have the lunchbox and the bobblehead though

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

evilmiera posted:

This is fallout by Bethesda, the dog has a nuke strapped to it. Or has eaten nukes and now breathes Atomic Breath like Godzilla.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont think you could wear it. it was pretty small. I still have the lunchbox and the bobblehead though
You could wear it. Well, I suppose it wouldn't fit if you have gigantic arms or something.
It was a rather cheap piece of poo poo though. It was made from a plastic that would scratch if you so much as looked at it. It didn't fasten properly, so it would easily fall of your arm. And as already mentioned above the electronics would fail quickly, or even never work at all.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lotish posted:

Dog mounted minigun.

No, wait

Dog mounted Fat Man. Call it the Good Boy.
Also the dog's mounted minigun is a dog, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sout posted:

With most games now I tend to (if I even beat the game in the first place) avoid all the DLCs and never get around to playing them.

Dawnguard came out in June (August for PC) 2012, so I would expect it to be announced by E3 if not released by then.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I really liked Fallout 3 and Skyrim's DLCs so I expect good things for F4

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I just started Morrowind for the first time, does it have the same enemy scaling issues as oblivion does? Because I sucked at that game. Beth games seem to get easier every time, or at least more ~streamlined~

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

frajaq posted:

I really liked Fallout 3 and Skyrim's DLCs so I expect good things for F4

It was nice how NV's DLC had an overarching story and had items and plot points that tied them together, even if in the end the story didn't make much sense.

I somehow doubt Bethesda is going to go that route again but apart from Horse Armour most of their DLC hasn't been bad.

Maybe they can have them show up as a bunch of episodes of The Twilight Zone or something.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

sout posted:

I just started Morrowind for the first time, does it have the same enemy scaling issues as oblivion does? Because I sucked at that game. Beth games seem to get easier every time, or at least more ~streamlined~

No but you will encounter more enemies as you level up but they will be rain against the mountain that is a high level morrowind character, Destroyer of gods.
Except the DLC, save that poo poo for when you are a level 20 god.

expect to struggle a lot in the beginning but the game really opens up for you around level ten where you can conceivably fight off even high level stuff if you come prepared.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 20, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think I never used a companion in FO3. And I feel very strongly about each companion in FNV. I guess that's a testament to Bethesda's ability to make a compelling sidekick; in Skyrim I trudged along with Lydia simply because she was a total non-character, and there was no reason to change her for another non-character (there were no interesting, well developed companions)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

At the very least Obsidian are far more able to create companions who actually have character to them, even if they're sometimes a bit boring (eg. Boone, Lily). The FO3 companions weren't all bad though - I liked Fawkes, Charon and Butch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cargohills posted:

At the very least Obsidian are far more able to create companions who actually have character to them, even if they're sometimes a bit boring (eg. Boone, Lily). The FO3 companions weren't all bad though - I liked Fawkes, Charon and Butch.

Definitely, even simply based on random chatter the NV companions were a league above anything Skyrim or FO3 offered. It reminds me of that Star Wars review where they made a critical comparion between Han Solo and Princess Amidala, and only one of them actually wound up with proper character traits.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah I liked Charon because of what happens when you manage to recruit him (and also he was bigger than most NPCs), wish I could have used Butch more but staying Neutral karma was a pain in the rear end in that game

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

2house2fly posted:

Bethesda's good about DLC, at least in terms of amount and variety of content, and if I get this game it'll probably be whatever "Ultimate Edition" they end up bringing out.

Sonofabitch :doh:

They're "good about DLC", sure, but they always leave the DLC prices untouched forever. And during big sales they barely discount them compared to the base game or GOTY edition, so you basically have to rebuy the entire game to get the DLC at a discount (but then you save exactly gently caress-all because the price of the base game is factored in). The only exception has been New Vegas, where all the DLC was like 5 bucks from the get-go and always seemed to have decent sales prices.

edit: And while that won't matter to you, I'll probably buy the game before the GOTY drops in like two years. I'm not waiting two years to play Fallout 4.

steinrokkan posted:

I think I never used a companion in FO3. And I feel very strongly about each companion in FNV. I guess that's a testament to Bethesda's ability to make a compelling sidekick; in Skyrim I trudged along with Lydia simply because she was a total non-character, and there was no reason to change her for another non-character (there were no interesting, well developed companions)

Aela was pretty funny as a stupid cliched Warrior-Huntress. But really I just added the "Almost Everybody Is An Adventurer" mod and recruited random interesting-looking strangers because every single NPC in the game was interchangeable anyways, what difference did it make if Lydia followed me vs. some barfly or bard I met in a tavern?

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 21, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

King Vidiot posted:

Aela was pretty funny as a stupid cliched Warrior-Huntress. But really I just added the "Almost Everybody Is An Adventurer" mod and recruited random interesting-looking strangers because every single NPC in the game was interchangeable anyways, what difference did it make if Lydia followed me vs. some barfly or bard I met in a tavern?

Actually I married Aela in my playthrough. She ended up standing in the middle of my house saying inane poo poo like "I'm glad you returned to me, I baked venison casserole for you!" She's a quest NPC with characterization that only stretches as far as her one and only quest.

Compare that with Boone or Cass who are programmed to react to the world as a whole, in a way, and who are just full of characterization as soon as you meet them,.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

New Vegas companions never baked me pies....NOT EVEN LILY :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

steinrokkan posted:

Actually I married Aela in my playthrough. She ended up standing in the middle of my house saying inane poo poo like "I'm glad you returned to me, I baked venison casserole for you!" She's a quest NPC with characterization that only stretches as far as her one and only quest.

Compare that with Boone or Cass who are programmed to react to the world as a whole, in a way, and who are just full of characterization as soon as you meet them,.

Well yeah, I mean I "liked" Aela inasmuch as "she talked kinda funny". That's about as good as you can hope for from a Bethesda follower character.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

That's about as good as you can hope for from a Bethesda follower character.
Well, there's Serana.
Okay, she's not exactly universally liked as a character. But the attempt at making a follower have an actual character was nice at least.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

have we seen a shotgun yet?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Roobanguy posted:

One of Fallout 3's higher-profile concept artists, Adam Adamowicz, allegedly remarked upon seeing the High Standard Model 10 shotgun that it was, "probably one of the most amazing firearms I've ever seen...I've got to get it into a game somehow." Then he ate an entire brick of Wright's Pink Popcorn and declared it to be, "the truest form of popcorn I've ever tasted."

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

Shotguns confirmed removed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

One of Fallout 3's higher-profile concept artists, Adam Adamowicz, allegedly remarked upon seeing the High Standard Model 10 shotgun that it was, "probably one of the most amazing firearms I've ever seen...I've got to get it into a game somehow." Then he ate an entire brick of Wright's Pink Popcorn and declared it to be, "the truest form of popcorn I've ever tasted."

WHY IS THE TRIGGER SO CLOSE TO THE MUZZLE, YOU rear end in a top hat

• Locked thread