Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

grack posted:

So is it pretty much been confirmed that LG is making the new Nexus 5?

Yes there have been AOSP commits for a new LG device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Wait, if you upgrade from 4.4 to 5.0 and then do a factory reset, your phone will still have version 5.0? I'm thinking of resetting my phone too, lagging like crazy ever since I updated. I have a Moto G by the way.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

beedeebee posted:

Wait, if you upgrade from 4.4 to 5.0 and then do a factory reset, your phone will still have version 5.0? I'm thinking of resetting my phone too, lagging like crazy ever since I updated. I have a Moto G by the way.

Yes, it should still be the same version that you had when you did the factory reset.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Red Warrior posted:

Yes there have been AOSP commits for a new LG device.

Sweet. Just like everyone else (apparently) the battery life on my N5 is slowly going in to the toilet and my contract is up in November.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

Simplified explanation: the OS lives on the /system partition and your data lives on /data. When you get an update it permanently modifies the contents of /system. Factory reset wipes /data but doesn't touch /system. So you keep the update.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

Not much. I just backed up contacts/pictures to google, remembered which apps I needed to redownloaded, and wiped the phone. I reinstalled/reconfigured everything this morning when I had a couple hours of downtime sitting in a big* ol auditorium.

*notoriously big.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I may have spoken too soon on my bluetooth issues. When I reset my phone this morning, I'm pretty sure it worked perfectly in my car. After reconfiguring everything today, the problem had returned when I got in my car to leave work today. I tried uninstalling some apps/updates I downloaded and wiping the cache partition, but the problem remained.

So, now I'm wiping my phone again and I'm going to check each step of the way until I figure out what is causing the bluetooth problem (or it turns out that it is broken immediately after the reset, in which case it's a hardware issue).

e: I wiped the phone again and the problem went away, so I know it's not a hardware problem. After uninstalling/disabling the bloatware, everything still works fine. Now I'm going to go ahead and run the initial play store update of all the preinstalled apps and see if bluetooth still works. Then I'll go through and do all my settings configuration and check again. Then I'll go back and download/configure all my apps. This is going to take a while, but I should be able to nail down the cause of the problem.

e2: Everything is still good after updating all the stock apps

e3: I'm pretty sure the problem is with the Golf Pad app. Everything was working fine, then I installed the Golf Pad app (which needs bluetooth permission to install) and renamed the bluetooth device I was connecting to. When I restarted my phone and reconnected, I was getting the stuttering music issue. I uninstalled Golf Pad and restarted, but the problem remained. I also cleared bluetooth data/cache, and I am still experiencing the problem. It seems like Golf Pad messed up something with bluetooth and the change was not undone when Golf Pad was uninstalled.

Mr Executive fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 21, 2015

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

*notoriously big.

*infamously big

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cross posting from the VZW thread:

Anyone else get an email about another soak test for the Turbo?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

XIII posted:

Cross posting from the VZW thread:

Anyone else get an email about another soak test for the Turbo?

Yep!

Android M :getin:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

grack posted:

So is it pretty much been confirmed that LG is making the new Nexus 5?

There will be nexuses from all major phone manufacturers this fall, and Google will sell them in pop up stores at malls. About a fourth of them will become permanent Google shops.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
So is there something special that can be done to "super uninstall" an app? The Golf Pad app I installed messed up my bluetooth and uninstalling it didn't fix the problem. It seems like there is some setting/files laying around that are still causing problems.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

this_is_hard posted:

Yep!

Android M :getin:

:lol: oh man no way

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Wow another soak? Wonder what it will be.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mr Executive posted:

So is there something special that can be done to "super uninstall" an app? The Golf Pad app I installed messed up my bluetooth and uninstalling it didn't fix the problem. It seems like there is some setting/files laying around that are still causing problems.

Ask your local statistician about correlation and causation.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Alright, I'm looking at getting a new phone soon and my choice seems to be between the LG G4, HTC One M9, and the Galaxy S 6 edge. What's the over-under here? I've really enjoyed the HTC One originalwhatever the last couple years for the metal composition and the fact that the bootloader is accessible from the manufacturer, but I'm open to other models.

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 21, 2015

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I've got some weirdass poo poo going on with my phone right now. I can't delete things off of the SD card.

Or rather, I can but as soon as I plug it back into my phone all the poo poo I deleted is still there. I don't understand how this could be happening.

Is there some kind of backup thing going on?

e: Not to mention podcasts I download seem to vanish into the ether after a period.

Emong fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 21, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So basically your phone and/or card is silently discarding writes to the card. I'd check to see if you can write to the card from any other device (card adapter into laptop for example).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 21, 2015

Emong
May 31, 2011

Looks like it's the card. Copied a bunch of poo poo onto it with an adapter and it all vanished when I unplugged it. I'm guessing the only fix for that is a new SD card, huh?

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

setafd posted:

Alright, I'm looking at getting a new phone soon and my choice seems to be between the LG G4, HTC One M9, and the Galaxy S 6 edge. What's the over-under here? I've really enjoyed the HTC One originalwhatever the last couple years for the metal composition and the fact that the bootloader is accessible from the manufacturer, but I'm open to other models.

They're all solid phones and the day-to-day performance is more or less the same*, so really it's going to come down to what features you find most important.

If you need to have the Bootloader unlocked only the HTC One M9 will have you covered, the unibody metal design is still slick, and the sound hardware is still unmatched, and unlike the s6 it retains the option of expandable storage, though the battery isn't user replacable. On the other side, the 1080p display is somewhat low for a flagship, and the camera is easily the weakest of the three (though not terrible by any means). There's also some major throttling issues that make any gains the CPU has over the other devices pretty much moot if you care at all for intensive tasks like high-end gaming or emulation (YMMV here), as well as increased heat output over the other two phones. It also lacks a fingerprint scanner.

The Samsung Galaxy s6 edge is probably where you'll want to go if you just want a solid phone. Samsung hit a stride with design here and has one of the best cameras on the market** and the performance is the best between the three in both day-to-day and intensive tasks. It also retains the fingerprint scanner (much improved) and heartrate sensor from the S5. Downsides are no expandable storage or removable battery, and for the edge in particular it remains to be seen if the edge functionality will ever leave the awkward gimmick phase (there are rumors that Samsung will be releasing an SDK for it soon but I haven't seen any confirmations).

The LG G4 beats the other two devices in terms of price and feature density, but is lacking in several other areas. Unlike the s6, the option of a removable battery and expandable storage are present here. The CPU is the weakest of the bunch but in day-to-day performance it's effectively the same and it bypasses the throttiling issues by using a less powerful version of the CPU in the M9 as well. The camera is among the best on the market** as well. Most often criticized on the LG G4 is the build quality, which is mainly plastic with an option for a leather back (many reports say this is a cheaper leather that wears quickly), along with some technical issues involving the touchscreen's responsiveness that may or may not be resolved after recent software updates.

Bottom line, just buy the phone that has the coolest cases on amazon and the rest will sort it out.

* - According to benchmarks, the Samsung has the highest performing CPU, followed by the HTC One M9 and the LG G4 in a distant third. Under heavy use, the M9 and G4 perform similarly due to aforementioned throttling.
** - The Samsung Galaxy s6/6 edge and LG G4 have nearly identically performing cameras, but differ in a couple key areas. In still shots, the 6 and G4's Auto shots perform similarly, in low light the G4 edges (heh) out slightly. The G4 also has in-depth manual controls and support for RAW format (completely irrelevant unless you're a photographer thats going to edit the photos yourself more or less). For video recording, the s6 wins out due to a better implimentation of Digital Image Stabilization. The G4's Optical Image Stabilization tends to make videos into a quivering mess of jello-vision unless the phone is held more or less still. If you take videos with the phone still though, the G4 wins out with far more detail.

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 21, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Because I'm a huge idiot I've decided that I'm getting super tired of the Note 4's gigantic screen and I'd really like a phone I could use with one hand. It comes up more often than you'd think and it's pretty annoying. I also never use the stylus, never play games, never do pretty much anything except call, text, browse, and camera.

So I was thinking of selling it and getting a Moto G 3rd gen, whenever that gets released. Online says July 28th, so that's pretty close. Only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that it only supports up to a 32gb microsd card, but I'd really like to use the 128gb I have. A few sources online that I've found (like this one, "Also, this guide repeats the "32GB max" that Motorola has stated, although the device apparently has no issue working with 64GB and 128GB SD cards.") say that it's no problem in the 2014 one, is that pretty likely to happen again for the 2015?

I guess there's no possible answer to this question besides "why don't you just wait and find out" but I'm wondering if the answer is "yes definitely" or "who knows", I guess.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Daily Forecast posted:

Because I'm a huge idiot I've decided that I'm getting super tired of the Note 4's gigantic screen and I'd really like a phone I could use with one hand. It comes up more often than you'd think and it's pretty annoying. I also never use the stylus, never play games, never do pretty much anything except call, text, browse, and camera.

So I was thinking of selling it and getting a Moto G 3rd gen, whenever that gets released. Online says July 28th, so that's pretty close. Only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that it only supports up to a 32gb microsd card, but I'd really like to use the 128gb I have. A few sources online that I've found (like this one, "Also, this guide repeats the "32GB max" that Motorola has stated, although the device apparently has no issue working with 64GB and 128GB SD cards.") say that it's no problem in the 2014 one, is that pretty likely to happen again for the 2015?

I guess there's no possible answer to this question besides "why don't you just wait and find out" but I'm wondering if the answer is "yes definitely" or "who knows", I guess.
Almost certainly it will be fine.
There's no reason for them to backtrack from sdxc to sdhc support, even if it was only unofficial.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ninmeister posted:

Wow another soak? Wonder what it will be.

Haha, I can't wait to update to "still not even 5.1.1"

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Emong posted:

Looks like it's the card. Copied a bunch of poo poo onto it with an adapter and it all vanished when I unplugged it. I'm guessing the only fix for that is a new SD card, huh?

Are there any SD cards that are not total poo poo? My Moto G murdered 2 (sandisk) SD cards the past 6 months. Where they will unmount from android and afterwards even windows can't reformat them. Should i blame the phone or the cards?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've always had a lot of luck with samsung cards, and nothing but poo poo with sandisk

Though I should mention I've not used an sd card in a phone for years now, this is all use in other stuff

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I used Sandisk back when I was using HTC phones and didn't have any problems, but that was eight or so years ago when they weren't under much strain. When I got my S5 Active I picked up a Samsung card just to be safe, and honestly it was like $9 more then the Sandisk.

On the topic of SD cards, any easy way to get Amazon Music to use my SD card for downloaded music? I stream my music when I'm at work but I have a playlist around ~300 songs for my commute since I go underground a few times and I don't want any skipping.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mr Executive posted:

I read about the problems you were having. While it seems odd an app could do that, if uninstalling doesn't fix it then you'll likely have to reset.

setafd posted:

Avoid the M9 at all costs.

Emong
May 31, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

Are there any SD cards that are not total poo poo? My Moto G murdered 2 (sandisk) SD cards the past 6 months. Where they will unmount from android and afterwards even windows can't reformat them. Should i blame the phone or the cards?

This was a SanDisk, too, so I'm thinking you can blame them. I didn't even get this card that long ago either.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

LastInLine posted:

I read about the problems you were having. While it seems odd an app could do that, if uninstalling doesn't fix it then you'll likely have to reset.

Avoid the M9 at all costs.

Budget option; the m8 is supposed to be 90% comparable due to afformentioned throttling.

Works great and much cheaper than the $700 I paid now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

galahan posted:

Budget option; the m8 is supposed to be 90% comparable due to afformentioned throttling.

Works great and much cheaper than the $700 I paid now.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the M8 over the M9, questions of long term support being less important than a device that works correctly from the get-go.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Daily Forecast posted:

The reason current Motorola phones with SD slots don't support higher capacity SDXC cards out of the box is because the filesystem of an "SDXC" card is Microsoft's ExFAT, which is covered by active patents. So official support for SDXC is synonymous with "has a license with Microsoft" which wasn't really an option for Motorola while it was a Google subsidiary. The workaround is to reformat an SDXC card to FAT32, which is the filesystem for SDHC SD cards. Motorola states 32gb max because the SDHC standard which they're licensing from the SDA states 32gb max, and actively promoting aftermarket support for higher capacities would violate agreements. Higher capacities work (it's actually more work for an OEM to impose a limit), they just won't say a word about it.

Now that Motorola are a subsidiary of the largest Windows PC manufacturer and have a license by osmosis, what happens with the 3rd gen Moto G is really a function of how much Motorola was integrated with Lenovo when they developed it. If Lenovo was involved, then it'll come with SDXC support out of the box + a free Superfish co-processor. If they're still working off the Google pipeline, it won't and it will be up to you to reformat the card to FAT32 but after that it will work.

NihilismNow posted:

Sandisk cards had a widespread manufacturing defect 2 years ago, which they said they fixed at the time

Either they didn't fix the problem or there are tons of old models in circulation.

setafd posted:

Couldn't hurt to wait a week and see what Motorola have to offer.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I may jump on the Samsung at that rate. I imagine there are probably more intensive ways of getting at the bootloader if I really want to, although I don't think I'm in that game anymore. I'm turning into an old man who doesn't care about hacking all of his poo poo anymore.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Just got a new update on my Turbo. 23.11.39.quark. 24.8megs

No idea what it actually is

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

setafd posted:

I may jump on the Samsung at that rate. I imagine there are probably more intensive ways of getting at the bootloader if I really want to, although I don't think I'm in that game anymore. I'm turning into an old man who doesn't care about hacking all of his poo poo anymore.

Not really, no. On the S4, they bypassed the first version, and haven't been able to break the later ones. And that's a several year old phone with a lot of support.

Don't buy a phone hoping to root it later; buy a Nexus, or expect to never have root / bootloader access.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Alarbus posted:

Not really, no. On the S4, they bypassed the first version, and haven't been able to break the later ones. And that's a several year old phone with a lot of support.

Don't buy a phone hoping to root it later; buy a Nexus, or expect to never have root / bootloader access.

Hmm. Yeah, I just don't mind that anymore.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

Just got a new update on my Turbo. 23.11.39.quark. 24.8megs

No idea what it actually is

Same. Probably nothing that any of us would ever notice. Glad the double "Verizon Wireless" on the lockscreen is still there. I often forget who I've given money to every month for ten years, so the reminder is nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

XIII posted:

Same. Probably nothing that any of us would ever notice. Glad the double "Verizon Wireless" on the lockscreen is still there. I often forget who I've given money to every month for ten years, so the reminder is nice.

It's really not a Verizon thing. My mom has an unlocked Mot G on T-Mobile and it says T-Mobile double on the lockscreen. Just something Motorola forgot to change when they moved to lollipop.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

bull3964 posted:

It's also pretty much a gimmick when you are using mainstream components.

Yeah, maybe final assembly isn't being done by Foxconn in china, but you can be drat sure that Qualcomm SoC or the the display doesn't have an unsullied history.

Thermopyle posted:

If you're morally opposed to the working conditions or whatever of people building the components and the phone, it's a pretty weird place to be in to say "I'm only willing to pay extra for a phone that is 100%-free of these working conditions, not 50%!".

This is kind of a false point though. It doesn't matter where they source the components if you are worried about your phone being made with slave labor. My understanding is that chip and display manufacturing is pretty automated--think of it as being similar to printing newspapers--and that human hands do not touch those parts once during the manufacturing process. I think you guys are just being reactionaries when talking about the idea of an ethically manufactured phone.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 21, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like on my Moto X, the lockscreen isn't quite as responsive (on the rare occasion I do need to unlock the phone that way) as on 5.0 when the Verizon banner wasn't almost on top of the lock icon. Sometimes I have to swipe a couple times before the phone actually unlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

silence_kit posted:

This is kind of a false point though. It doesn't matter where they source the components if you are worried about your phone being made with slave labor. My understanding is that chip and display manufacturing is pretty automated--think of it as being similar to printing newspapers--and that human hands do not touch those parts once during the manufacturing process. I think you guys are just being reactionaries when talking about the idea of an ethically manufactured phone.

I'm not sure why you quoted me.