Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

huge influx of people who are used to driving to one giant store to get stuff and can't now
the fastest growing neighborhoods have the fewest stores and the ones they have are classic "food desert" corner stores
local stores might be suspiciously ethnic or not carry their preferred brands

my brands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i really do not understand the explosion of grocery delivery startups

are people that afraid of picking up a phone

Isn't people being afraid to make an actual phone call a huge part of the success of Uber/Lyft and the like? People would rather install an app than store a phone number (for a cab company for example) and talk to a human when needed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

i think a lot of the grocery delivery 1099 startups just don't bother to check that it's already available int heir area with a steady customer base, or are aware but think they won't have to pay a fee to the store or something and thus still make money lol

how long before grocery stores start cracking down on the shoppers? they must be less profitable than regular customers because they never drag their candy-grabbing kids along or make impulse purchases. a bunch of places around Austin unofficially have banned Favor and Postmates because they place giant orders during rush times and don't tip.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when wal-mart tried their streamlined product store with like 1/3 the skus they found people would leave a whole cart of groceries and walk out of the store if they didn't have the right mayonnaise

Papercut posted:

Isn't people being afraid to make an actual phone call a huge part of the success of Uber/Lyft and the like? People would rather install an app than store a phone number (for a cab company for example) and talk to a human when needed.
the problem with calling the cab company is that there's no feedback, they can be all "we'll send someone" and nobody ever shows up

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Papercut posted:

partly. i don't mind talking on the phone but i prefer apps or websites for ordering food or taxis because

1. they are more accurate and i don't have to repeat myself due to a bad connection or environmental noise
2. i don't end up on hold
3. (for food) i can pay and tip in advance with my cc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

when wal-mart tried their streamlined product store with like 1/3 the skus they found people would leave a whole cart of groceries and walk out of the store if they didn't have the right mayonnaise

i don't doubt that for a second

people are fuckin weird

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think a lot of lucky ppl who have never worked service jobs dont realize a CSR has a lot more wiggle room/power/rule-bending than the computer buttons, so they dont know the ownage they're missing out on. im glad to take up their slack

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

how long before grocery stores start cracking down on the shoppers? they must be less profitable than regular customers because they never drag their candy-grabbing kids along or make impulse purchases. a bunch of places around Austin unofficially have banned Favor and Postmates because they place giant orders during rush times and don't tip.

The stores have no reason to crack down in total. The shopper dudes aren't getting any discounts anyone else can't get, and only cause problems at absolute peaks.

And most of the startups never get enough customers to cause the crowding issue.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Smythe posted:

i think a lot of lucky ppl who have never worked service jobs dont realize a CSR has a lot more wiggle room/power/rule-bending than the computer buttons, so they dont know the ownage they're missing out on. im glad to take up their slack

yeah but now you have places liek comcast who's aware of this and games all their csr requests into upsales

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
clever fuckers....

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
we used to order groceries online when we lived in toronto but that was because we didn't own a car and it was cheaper and easier than renting a zipcar when we wanted a big load of groceries

the company was around since 1997 and had their own warehouses and set their own prices though, it was a bit pricier than the grocery stores nearby but still cheaper than grocery store bill plus car rental cost would be

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
wow this keynote speaker is from something called "soulcycle"

at a transportation engineering conference

so i looked it up and it's just a chain of indoor cycling gyms

dude has been talking about biking across asia/europe for 45 minutes now and it doesn't seem like so much an ad for his company as it does just a way for the founder to talk about himself and show pictures from india

had no idea that it was a spin class from this presentation - it mostly sounds like he's recruiting for a cult

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

i doubt they care since they make their money on volume anyway

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also they got bought out by a retail grocery chain eventually anyway, maybe that's what these startups are hoping for

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
soulcycle is freakin epic fail if you ask me.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Smythe posted:

soulcycle is freakin epic fail if you ask me.

lol $35/session for spin class

what a ripoff

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
mai waifu has phone phobia and used instacart a few times. they kept calling because they didn't have this variety of bean would that variety be ok, or did she want salted or unsalted butter etc. worse than self checkout apparently, so she stopped

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

salted butter? smdh

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol $35/session for spin class

what a ripoff

it's not like the kinds of people who go to soulcycle would be giving that money to orphans if they weren't spending $500/month on spin class

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the way asda deals with not having the right stock is they will send you a similar item (if possible, and if you select this option) and then when you get your poo poo delivered you can reject any replacements and get a refund instead

or when you are ordering stuff you can single out specific items and say "do not send replacements for this one"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
spin class has insane babe density

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

also they got bought out by a retail grocery chain eventually anyway, maybe that's what these startups are hoping for

yeah, the problem is most of them are unaware that the big chains in their areas probably already own all or part of a delivery group already

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wow this keynote speaker is from something called "soulcycle"

at a transportation engineering conference

so i looked it up and it's just a chain of indoor cycling gyms

dude has been talking about biking across asia/europe for 45 minutes now and it doesn't seem like so much an ad for his company as it does just a way for the founder to talk about himself and show pictures from india

had no idea that it was a spin class from this presentation - it mostly sounds like he's recruiting for a cult

Soulcycle was spoofed in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
people avoiding phone calls works the other ways as well--your chances go up exponentially if you can get someone who's at least nominally responsible to what you're needing on the phone

this is why comcast et al put as many layers of remove as possible between anyone with any responsibility or authority whatsoever and the grunt level outsourced indian service rep whose only accountability is to their immediate supervisor with the goal to upsell you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
now he's talking about unexploded ordinance in laos and showing more pictures of poor browns

why the gently caress is this happening wtf ITE conference people how much money did soulcycle give you

and the audience is just eating it up b/c west coast people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
soulcycle is apparently disrupting the developing world somehow w/ bikes and english

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ruby idiot railed posted:

this is why comcast et al put as many layers of remove as possible between anyone with any responsibility or authority whatsoever and the grunt level outsourced indian service rep whose only accountability is to their immediate supervisor with the goal to upsell you

I honestly don't think this is intentional, they just assign a certain service to a certain department and then just don't tell the other departments that it exists there

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cold on a Cob posted:

every single word of this article is comedy loving gold

why do i have to pay for this what is pando

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't like talking on the phone b/c I have autism

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sonatinas posted:

thanks for the updade, Sheldon

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

now he's talking about unexploded ordinance in laos and showing more pictures of poor browns

why the gently caress is this happening wtf ITE conference people how much money did soulcycle give you

disrupt the event

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

soulcycle is apparently disrupting the developing world somehow w/ bikes and english

Seems to be no different than a evangelical mission trip.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol @ selling white savior poo poo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

qirex posted:

salted butter? smdh

it's not like the kinds of people who go to soulcycle would be giving that money to orphans if they weren't spending $500/month on spin class

real good butter with huge salt crystals in it on fresh bread is incredible. hard to get in the us though

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Papercut posted:

again i just don't get this. maybe i'm lucky enough to live in a super-awesome town or something, but if i want a cab and i don't want to hail one or talk to a human on the phone i can just text the company and they text right back with exactly when it'll arrive and what the fare will be.

we don't have uber yet and i can't see why they'd bother, they don't have much to offer us.

Valeyard posted:

the way asda deals with not having the right stock is they will send you a similar item (if possible, and if you select this option) and then when you get your poo poo delivered you can reject any replacements and get a refund instead

or when you are ordering stuff you can single out specific items and say "do not send replacements for this one"

yeah, this is how good delivery works. it's super easy and designed for customer convenience. no surprise that the ~disruptive startup~ hasn't figured it out.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Soricidus posted:

again i just don't get this. maybe i'm lucky enough to live in a super-awesome town or something, but if i want a cab and i don't want to hail one or talk to a human on the phone i can just text the company and they text right back with exactly when it'll arrive and what the fare will be.

i use curb, it's p great.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sonatinas posted:

spinning and posting

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

when my mom got her hip replaced she used vons.com to deliver and it wAS epically free iirc but then again... vons...
vons owns

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
someone took grooveshark closing a little hard

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

jesus dude. shawn fanning's music piracy network got shut down in court and he went on to be rich and famous. shoulda followed his example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The Uber driver who ferried Republican presidential contender Jeb Bush to a San Francisco startup on Thursday had no idea he had a candidate in the car — that is until the duo arrived at their destination.

Here's what they encountered:

“I had no idea," the driver of the black Toyota Camry, a 35-year-old Yemeni named Munir Algazaly, told the New York Times. He described Bush as "a nice guy."

Bush tweeted a photo and said he "rode shotgun" in the car, adding that he gave him a five-star review.

Unfortunately for Bush, though, he didn't secure the driver's vote. Algazaly said he was going to vote for Hillary Clinton, the democratic frontrunner in the race, according to Time.

Bush was in town to visit Thumbtack headquarters, where he spoke about the benefits of small businesses and entrepreneurship.

The choice to take an Uber there was no campaign coincidence.

"Governor Bush believes harnessing innovation and fostering technology can help us grow at 4 percent once again," Bush campaign spokeswoman Allie Brandenburger told Mashable. "We will do this by getting Washington off the backs of innovators like Uber, not trying to plan the future of our economy from D.C."

Bush has commended the ride-sharing service for its disruptive technology in the past. Republican candidates Rand Paul, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz have also praised it. Cruz even said he wants to emulate Uber by becoming his own "disruptive app" for politics, according to Politico.

Their potential rival, Hillary Clinton, has promised to crack down on companies that wrongly classify workers as contractors. She has praised the "gig economy" for creating exciting opportunities, but has also said it is raising hard questions about workplace protections. Uber drivers aren't employees, so they aren't eligible for overtime pay, unemployment insurance or workers' compensation.

The company, however, seems to be more aligned with the left.

Uber CEO Travis Kalanick has spoke positively of Obamacare, saying "the democratization of those types of benefits allow people to have more flexible ways to make a living" at a dinner, according to Buzzfeed. “They don’t have to be working for The Man.”

• Locked thread