Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheJoker138 posted:

I thought they confirmed this as his last a while ago?

Craig signed a two-film extension after Skyfall made a zillion dollars. So he's got Spectre and one more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Don't suppose anyone knows if there's going to be another drive steel book release? I want to buy one for a friend but eBay prices are a bit daft on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheJoker138 posted:

I thought they confirmed this as his last a while ago?

He's signed for 1 more after Spectre I believe. Mendes isn't doing any more though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Bape Culture posted:

Don't suppose anyone knows if there's going to be another drive steel book release? I want to buy one for a friend but eBay prices are a bit daft on it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/drive-blu-ray-disc-steelbook-only--best-buy/9802107.p?id=3308662&skuId=9802107

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Best buy don't seem to want to ship to the UK :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Best buy don't seem to want to ship to the UK :(

I assumed you were from Merica. Anyway, it also doesn't list the region encoding so it could very well be useless to you anyhow.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Guy here in UK has a German version for £22 + P&P. UK ones on eBay are about £30 I think? A bit cheaper.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/large-thread-of-steel-some-rare-some-not-so.1963737/#post-22254486

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Sony has taken Christine back from Twilight Time and will do a general release on September 29. Amazon preorder of Christine is currently $19.99, and that will probably drop lower by release.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Arrow's 2-disc deluxe edition of Society is already going out of print. Arrow themselves is sold through on both the UK and US editions (really they're identical, just the labels on the package and discs are a little different due to ratings differences), and Amazon UK is sold out as well. Amazon US still has some copies, so order now or forever pay scalper prices - Society - $25.29

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Arrow's 2-disc deluxe edition of Society is already going out of print. Arrow themselves is sold through on both the UK and US editions (really they're identical, just the labels on the package and discs are a little different due to ratings differences), and Amazon UK is sold out as well. Amazon US still has some copies, so order now or forever pay scalper prices - Society - $25.29

Didn't that just come out?

edit: I just checked blu-ray.com and it appears that it's only the limited edition digipack is going out of print. They're releasing it in a non-limited edition with a regular clamshell case in September, though buying the current edition is significantly cheaper.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 21, 2015

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CPL593H posted:

Didn't that just come out?

edit: I just checked blu-ray.com and it appears that it's only the limited edition digipack is going out of print. They're releasing it in a non-limited edition with a regular clamshell case in September, though buying the current edition is significantly cheaper.

Yes, the "deluxe edition" with digipack packaging and the sequel graphic novel is the one going out of print. There will be a non-deluxe one with just the discs on September 8.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just bought it anyway because I really want to see the movie and I figure if I don't like it I can easily resell it for what I paid and it's way cheaper to buy the limited edition one.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Lucy - $8.00
Under The Skin - $9.99
What We Do In The Shadows - $16.99

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
In announcement news, Mad Max: Fury Road will be released on BD September 1st.
2D Blu-ray preorder
3D Blu-ray preorder

Best movie of the summer as far as I'm concerned.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

In announcement news, Mad Max: Fury Road will be released on BD September 1st.
2D Blu-ray preorder
3D Blu-ray preorder

Best movie of the summer as far as I'm concerned.

I want to get this movie, but I heard read that the blu Ray was going to include silent versions and B&W versions of the film. Were these just unfounded rumors, or should I hold out for a deluxe version?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I want to get this movie, but I heard read that the blu Ray was going to include silent versions and B&W versions of the film. Were these just unfounded rumors, or should I hold out for a deluxe version?

It was never 100% confirmed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

All blurays have silent film modes if you turn the volume low enough.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheJoker138 posted:

It was never 100% confirmed.

We know the black and white version exists, because Miller said it's his favorite version of the film and he wanted to release it on Blu-ray. My guess is that WB is going to double-dip, maybe closer to the holidays.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

We know the black and white version exists, because Miller said it's his favorite version of the film and he wanted to release it on Blu-ray. My guess is that WB is going to double-dip, maybe closer to the holidays.

A black and white version of that movie seems like a really weird idea considering how well it uses colors.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CPL593H posted:

A black and white version of that movie seems like a really weird idea considering how well it uses colors.
I loved Fury Road but literally the only real complaint I had by the end is that it's an extremely orange & blue movie. Obviously being in the desert is going to provide a lot of warm colors but sheesh Tom Hardy looked like a carrot at times.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Manos is finally up for preorder!

Manos: The Hands of Fate Blu-ray - October 13 - $24.99

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley added some films to their Masterworks of American Avant-Garde Experimental Film dual format set, coming Sept. 29th.

New additions are bolded. Unfortunately, it looks like they had to drop Motion Painting No. 1 (Oskar Fischinger), A MOVIE (Bruce Conner), and Re-Entry (Jordan Belson). On the upside, the inclusion of Eaux d'artifice probably means Flicker Alley now has the US video rights to Kenneth Anger's films since Fantoma seems to be out of business.

quote:

Manhatta (1920-21, Charles Sheeler, Paul Strand) - 2K restoration, plus alternate score
Ballet Mechanique (1923-24, Fernand Léger, Dudley Murphy) - 2K restoration
Anémic cinema (1926, Marcel Duchamp)
The Life and Death of 9413–A Hollywood Extra (1927, Robert Florey, Slavko Vorkapich)
Skyscraper Symphony (1929, Robert Florey)

Mechanical Principles (1930, by Ralph Steiner)
A Bronx Morning (1931, by Jay Leyda)
Lot in Sodom (1933, J.S. Watson, Jr., Melville Webber, Alec Wilder, Remsen Wood, Bernard O’Brien)
Poem 8 (1932-33, Emlen Etting)
An Optical Poem (1938, Oskar Fischinger)
Thimble Theater (1938, Joseph Cornell)

Tarentella (1940, Mary Ellen Bute, Ted Nemeth)
The Pursuit of Happiness (1940, Rudy Burckhardt)
1941 (1941, Francis Lee)
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943, Maya Deren, A. Hackenschmied)
Meditation on Violence (1948, Maya Deren)

In the Street (1952, Helen Levitt, Janice Loeb, James Agee)
Four in the Afternoon (1950-51, James Broughton)
Abstronic (1952, Mary Ellen Bute, Ted Nemeth)
Eaux d'artifice (1953, Kenneth Anger)
Bells of Atlantis (1952-53, Ian Hugo/Anais Nin/Len Lye)
Evolution (1954, Jim Davis)
Gyromorphosis (1954, Hy Hirsh)
Hurry, Hurry! (1957, Marie Menken)
N.Y., N.Y. (filmed 1949-57, released 1958, Francis Thompson)

9 Variations on a Dance Theme (1966/67, Hilary Harri)
Castro Street (The Coming of Consciousness (1966, Bruce Baillie)
Film That Rises to the Surface of Clarified Butter (1968, Owen Land)
Walden: Diaries, Notes, and Sketches (1969, Jonas Mekas) - excerpt
Our Lady of the Sphere (1969, Lawrence Jordan)

Love It / Leave It (1970, Tom Palazzolo)
DL2 (Disintegration Line #2) (1970, Lawrence Janiak)
Transport (1970, Amy Greenfield)

Sappho and Jerry, Parts 1-3 (1977-78, Bruce Posner)
Ch'an (1983, Francis Lee)

Seasons… (2002, Phil Solomon, Stan Brakhage)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 23, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Just because a thing exists doesn't mean it'll ever get an official release. There's a directors cut of the first Avengers out there somewhere that was supposed to get a theatrical re-release that still hasn't seen the light of day. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a double dip situation, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we never hear about the silent and B&W cuts ever again.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Could always turn your screen black and white. Wouldn't be as good as something gone through and adjusted shot-by-shot, but even a skilled enough faneditor could do a serviceable job of that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

There's a directors cut of the first Avengers out there somewhere that was supposed to get a theatrical re-release that still hasn't seen the light of day.

I don't feel a great loss here.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CPL593H posted:

Avengers: The Director's Cut. Now with 763 MORE lines of snarky dialogue.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Avengers: The Director's Cut. Now with 763 MORE lines of snarky dialogue.

My biggest problem with that movie is that it wasn't four hours long.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

How you feel about it isn't my point, but please be the most cliche CD poster you can be by taking any opportunity to get in a sick burn on Marvel movies. The only reason I used it as an example and not something like the directors cut of Nightbreed taking thirty years to surface through official channels is because Avengers is one of the top grossing movies of all time, yet they still didn't end up releasing a cut that was talked about heavily during it's initial run.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only stuff I can remember being talked about is that Whedon's original cut was three hours along and he said it was way too self-indulgent, and that deleted scenes would be on the Blu-ray. I don't recall there ever being rumors of a director's cut getting a release (and Whedon's already said he isn't doing one for Age of Ultron, either) -- Marvel doesn't really do them, because their directors don't really control the final product.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timby posted:

The only stuff I can remember being talked about is that Whedon's original cut was three hours along and he said it was way too self-indulgent, and that deleted scenes would be on the Blu-ray. I don't recall there ever being rumors of a director's cut getting a release (and Whedon's already said he isn't doing one for Age of Ultron, either) -- Marvel doesn't really do them, because their directors don't really control the final product.

Director's having no say in it was one of the reasons it was rumored despite Whedon not caring. The big rumor was that, due to the movie being so close to the #1 spot Avatar is still in that they were going to re-release an extended version to theaters in an attempt to hit it. There were even dates floating around, which were all around the same time it was going to be coming out on blu-ray. And then nothing happened.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - $15.00

And the complete Lost In Spaces series collection is up for preorder now.
Lost In Space: The Complete Adventures - September 15 - $129.99 (35% off the $199.99 MSRP)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

How you feel about it isn't my point, but please be the most cliche CD poster you can be by taking any opportunity to get in a sick burn on Marvel movies. The only reason I used it as an example and not something like the directors cut of Nightbreed taking thirty years to surface through official channels is because Avengers is one of the top grossing movies of all time, yet they still didn't end up releasing a cut that was talked about heavily during it's initial run.

Kill Bill: the Whole Bloody Affair would also be a very good example. I'm very sorry for making a joke about a thing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some cool Vinegar Syndrome news.

quote:

In September, Etiquette Pictures will be releasing the official home video debut of Lawrence Schiller and L.M. Kit Carson's THE AMERICAN DREAMER on Blu-ray/DVD. Vinegar Syndrome will also be bringing the odd French/American co-production splatter film NIGHTMARE WEEKEND to Blu-ray/DVD in a brand new (and much brighter) 2K restoration! You'll finally be able to see the ending!

Finally, in October, the month everyone is (rightfully) most excited about, we will be releasing the Blu-ray debuts of Norman Thaddeus Vane's FRIGHTMARE and Alfredo Zacharias' DEMONOID (featuring both the domestic and international cuts of the film!).

For people that don't know, The American Dreamer is a documentary on Dennis Hopper from 1971. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177516/

And if you moved on from Blu-Ray, they're launching a streaming service called Explotation.TV on web and Roku on August 20th. "We can't wait to open the doors to over 250 feature films, consisting of our entire home video catalog, a few other partner labels and over 80 previously unreleased films." They used the term baadasssss in the email for it so I'm hoping it includes some of the Melvin Van Peebles movies they licensed.

quote:

SWEETBACK and COONSKIN are scheduled for Blu-ray and DVD release by Etiquette Pictures in late 2015, with DOLEMITE (VS), THREE DAY PASS (EP), and DON'T PLAY US CHEAP (EP) following in early 2016. Additional collaborations between Xenon, Etiquette Pictures and Vinegar Syndrome are planned for 2016.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 24, 2015

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Ghostbusters I & II bundle - both Mastered in 4K - $9.99

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Any Europe goons got any good site recommendations for buying blu-ray's?

e: Or is Amazon.com the basic answer?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

nosophoros posted:

Certainly not .com, but amazon.co.uk, maybe – though its shipping costs are kinda steep unless you happen to live inside its super saver delivery area.

Lately, I've started finding better deals locally here in Finland and Scandinavia in general. CDON is pretty great Swedish store, and I use it a lot. edit: Nevermind, looks like it only sells music if you don't live in one of the Nordic countries.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 24, 2015

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

nosophoros posted:

I use zaavi.com/thehut.com because they got decent sales now and then.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Avengers: Age of Ultron announced for October 2.

quote:

The Blu-ray release of Avengers: Age of Ultron is presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround. Special features are set to include:
Audio Commentary
Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
Making-of Featurettes
Gag Reel

Avengers: Age of Ultron Blu-ray preorder

Avengers: Age of Ultron 3D Blu-ray preorder

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Kill Bill: the Whole Bloody Affair would also be a very good example. I'm very sorry for making a joke about a thing.
I totally forgot that they never did a "Kill Bill as one huge movie" release. Come to think of it, that's the reason I don't have Kill Bill in my movie collection, because I kept holding out hope for a single-movie release.

I will keep waiting. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I totally forgot that they never did a "Kill Bill as one huge movie" release. Come to think of it, that's the reason I don't have Kill Bill in my movie collection, because I kept holding out hope for a single-movie release.

I will keep waiting. :sigh:

If you look on the internet some fans have hacked together a version of what it was supposed to be using the Japanese release and deleted scenes. It of course doesn't have stuff like the extended anime sequence, but it gives an idea of what it would have been like, at least.

• Locked thread