Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Drinkfist posted:

will assist in the process to raise the 2.1 million needed to build the Square

Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Drink, I love you man, but you ain't getting none of my credits. :bigtran:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The pubbie shitlords wanted 50,000 credits per member per week to fund their stuff. Consider my year of pantheon dues paid. Now there'd better be something halfway worthwhile to spend all these myrrh points on.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Put in some money too and felt pretty good about it until I saw someone else dumped a massive amount. How do some people have that much money already?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I bought about 5000 holy texts when they were super cheap, now I stacks paper to the ceiling and ride on 24 inch chrome. :homebrew:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Xavier434 posted:

I have not put in as much time as you have so far but comparing what you just said with my current rate of progress I'd say that you probably are not doing anything that is slowing you down a lot more than it should. Instead, I think it just further shows that the caps, despite the amount of attention and rage they get, really only impacts the poopsockers while most other people can safely pretend that they do not exist.

The only thing that really seems to impact casual players is how long it takes to unlock classes. Progression sometimes feels more like a game of what not to spend your sparks on than it does choosing what to invest them in.

This week I hit the cap in 8 hours total so it's definitely pretty close to 1 hour a day, considering 2x/3x bonuses. You do have to poopsock a little in the first week, though, as it has a very high spark cap for how much you gain per mission. Once you're past 5k or so prestige, you can take it slow and still hit the cap easily. Or you can just not focus on getting to the cap like you say and pretend it's not there.

This is just for the sparks of insight cap, though. And it assumes the use of premium. The other caps, especially the credit one (even if you loot everything), take significantly longer to hit.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Liberatore posted:

This week I hit the cap in 8 hours total so it's definitely pretty close to 1 hour a day, considering 2x/3x bonuses. You do have to poopsock a little in the first week, though, as it has a very high spark cap for how much you gain per mission. Once you're past 5k or so prestige, you can take it slow and still hit the cap easily. Or you can just not focus on getting to the cap like you say and pretend it's not there.

This is just for the sparks of insight cap, though. And it assumes the use of premium. The other caps, especially the credit one (even if you loot everything), take significantly longer to hit.

My prestige is still under 2k so maybe that has a lot to do with it. The cap is supposed to gradually increase every week post character creation right? At my pace, it might be high enough to the point where I won't notice after I hit 5k but I have no idea.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xavier434 posted:

My prestige is still under 2k so maybe that has a lot to do with it. The cap is supposed to gradually increase every week post character creation right? At my pace, it might be high enough to the point where I won't notice after I hit 5k but I have no idea.

Yes, every week the new cap is added on top of your previous amount. So if you don't cap out by 1000 sparks on one week, your cap will be 1000 points higher the next week, etc. If you don't poopsock enough to run up against your cap regularly, it will never become an issue for you.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Valatar posted:

Yes, every week the new cap is added on top of your previous amount. So if you don't cap out by 1000 sparks on one week, your cap will be 1000 points higher the next week, etc. If you don't poopsock enough to run up against your cap regularly, it will never become an issue for you.

Oh I see. I misunderstood how it worked before. The remaining sparks that you do not earn rolls over from week to week but the actual weekly cap does not increase. Is that right?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

The weekly cap does increase. It's currently at 24-26k in the Russian OBT for those who started in week one/two.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Anoia posted:

Look for the areas with the rainbow icons, like Lanber Forest. Those typically have a ton of missions of every spark color. I gained a ton of prestige fling every available quest in those, and I'm the filthiest of casuals.

I've so far completed every area I've reached other than Naori Island, which I just started the story mission for. Is there a way to go back to previous areas and get spark rewards again? The times I've tried it they've given me other stuff instead.

Lawlicaust posted:

The sparks gained increase as you increase in prestige. Once you get over 2k, the gains go up significantly and even faster over 5k. At an hour a day, you probably won't hit the cap though. At least not without a bunch of replicator and premium.

I'm at 3.3k right now and the rewards seem pretty piddly, except for the x2/x3 missions. It definitely doesn't feel like the gains are increasing that much but that could just be perception. I also pretty frequently put in more than an hour a day. With the weekend I probably hit 12-14 hours the first week and looking about that this one, and that's with premium and using the small replicators that I can't sell.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, it just feels like I'm missing something when I read people talk about how easy the caps are to hit.

Autarkeia
May 24, 2005
He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin'... Somethin's gonna happen.
Uhg, bought into this without a lot of time to play. Worked my way to 2050 the night before going on vacation. Even did the first round of order missions with the intent of just knocking out more of them while on vacation.

Loaded it into the work laptop traveling with me last night and just get to the adjust gamma screen. Can't do anything, just says "Conecting to server... Please wait!". Eventually it will time out and say kicked from server because of inactivity.

It's not really a game playing machine, MS Surface Pro 3, and coming in through either AT&T cell phone hot spot or resort free wireless. Any thoughts on why I can't get in to play a phone app game besides computer or connection won't support it?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Fenrisulfr posted:

I've so far completed every area I've reached other than Naori Island, which I just started the story mission for. Is there a way to go back to previous areas and get spark rewards again? The times I've tried it they've given me other stuff instead.

Not that I know of.

Fenrisulfr posted:

I'm at 3.3k right now and the rewards seem pretty piddly, except for the x2/x3 missions. It definitely doesn't feel like the gains are increasing that much but that could just be perception. I also pretty frequently put in more than an hour a day. With the weekend I probably hit 12-14 hours the first week and looking about that this one, and that's with premium and using the small replicators that I can't sell.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, it just feels like I'm missing something when I read people talk about how easy the caps are to hit.

For the first week, you get 1.5x the normal cap. This takes a while to go through. The second week will be faster, and then it should stabilize after that with the increasing cap.

It's also a good idea to try to optimize how quickly you run the missions. E.g. if you're playing a Paladin, try to group up as many mobs as you can to compensate for your slow boss killing speed. If you're Cryo, build for single target because your AoE is already good enough. You can easily cut the adventure run time to half the expected time. Do the same with regions by tagging mobs rather than fighting them, whenever possible.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
re: Berserker
Thanks for the replies. It seems the promo didn't have firestorm so that explains the issue with clearing trash. I also wasn't using the right click debuff consistently cause I was saving rage for AoE phases, so that's probably a big factor in why my damage seemed only okay instead of amazing. The way the promo does your skills, it didn't give proper tooltips for the combo sequence (is that normal?) so it took some trial and error to even figure out what the various combos do, and I couldn't mouse over the debuffs to get a tooltip either. Comes with the territory of a barely-translated open beta game I suppose. Not complaining, still the most fun I've had in an MMO in a while.

As for how rage generates: maybe popping Battle Frenzy and standing in fire is supposed to be a way to refill the bar quickly? idk. I tried that a couple times but even 30% of a sectoidutor laser beam was still too much damage.

For dashing to cancel the animations, that makes sense and with a little more experience I could probably get the hang of what moves are worth cancelling. I'm just wary of having that as an integral class mechanic because it comes up so often as a bonus objective. Are bonus objectives chosen from a dungeon-specific pool or is it possible for them to give you 'don't dash' vs bosses who literally require you to (e.g. first boss of Thais Temple)?

re: Slayer
With how short of a cooldown the shadow form + omnislash thingy is on, I didn't have any trouble clearing trash quickly (was trying it in Thais Temple) but it does admittedly have a lack of options outside of that. But I guess since Witch is still a couple weeks away from Necromancer (I think? It's roughly the same number of nodes but a lot of those nodes are in the 600-800 sparks range) it won't hurt to spend a little bit to get Slayer unlocked first.

Then again, maybe I'm just overly excited about a class that's fun against bosses due to the fact that cryomancers are the opposite.

re: Monk
I had very little interest in the Monk to begin with and public opinion of the class seems pretty low as well. But most people's opinions are probably based on training room which is even worse than promos for showing off a class, so I will probably try it at some point anyway. (got to get yellow sparks)

I mean, rooting yourself isn't always suicide, but most bosses seem to have relatively short windows in which you can afford to do that - I was trying Berserker on the Saiban Archipelago in which every boss has a repeated, delayed AoE explosion (well, middle boss has a slow-moving laser instead, but similar issue) and since my ping is not always consistent I like to move out of them as soon as I can, rather than risking finishing a channeled ability and then dashing out right before they go off. Maybe that's on me for being a scaredy cat but if that defines my playstyle then I guess I'm okay with that.

re: Insight capped and still 3 nodes away
Not sure how I hosed this up. I literally did not spend sparks on any nodes that weren't directly in the path to Necromancer

Even if I didn't waste cap on the wrong type, I would still need 1050 sparks to unlock these last 3 nodes and I only have 320. If I can weasel my prestige up to 3200 I can get another 450 from the reliquary but that'd still not be enough.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 20, 2015

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
How does Knight compare to Paladin in terms of solo play, dps and tankiness in groups? Been looking at that CE to throw some money at. I grouped with one earlier and saw they fight with spear and shield, and have a falcon, some cool poo poo.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Clairetic posted:

re: Insight capped and still 3 nodes away
Not sure how I hosed this up. I literally did not spend sparks on any nodes that weren't directly in the path to Necromancer

Even if I didn't waste cap on the wrong type, I would still need 1050 sparks to unlock these last 3 nodes and I only have 320. If I can weasel my prestige up to 3200 I can get another 450 from the reliquary but that'd still not be enough.

You needed to hit 3200 and went over the cap*.

* Any amount that goes over the cap in a single reward is still rewarded. This is then subtracted the next week, but it allows you to get an extra ~1100 sparks for the first week. You can easily get to 4500 in the first week as well, which is another 600 sparks.

Carnage (the omnislash) is indeed the best AoE that Slayer has, but it's not that great. It gets way, way better once you have high crit chance, but even then, the range is super short and the cooldown is restrictive. Compare that to Archer, which destroys groups with a zero cooldown massive ranged AoE. Or even Berserker; Firestorm is great when you have to deal with stronger enemies, but Whirlwind is enough to clear swarms, especially after you debuff them with RMB. Monk gets a huge AoE, zero cooldown combo finisher, and two even better AoE attacks on 30s cooldowns. And don't get me started on Necromancer, Kinetic or Warlock/Witch.

Monk is pretty good, but it's all about combo finishers, and most of them have long animations (which you can cancel out of). To maximize damage you have to stay on the boss for as long as possible, and dash away or pop some form of invulnerability at the very last moment.

Both the promo and training versions of Monk do an awful job of showing how good it can be; it's not just missing or poorly selected talents, the game fails to tell you that monks are supposed to keep switching between earth and fire, and that they can blow up single enemies instantly by stunning them first, that a few of your skills become more powerful the more enemies you hit, or that you're not supposed to tank with Earth despite the 15/30% reduced incoming damage, and rather switch to Wind for CC/invulnerability/mobility. Hell, the Monk execute makes you invulnerable for a few seconds and you're supposed to use that to avoid incoming damage.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 20, 2015

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the HQ is not being built

the vote for the power plant expansion didn't even end yet

what the hell is wrong with you lazy fucks is it that difficult to go to the pantheon panel and click a NO button

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RottenK posted:

the HQ is not being built

the vote for the power plant expansion didn't even end yet

what the hell is wrong with you lazy fucks is it that difficult to go to the pantheon panel and click a NO button

Most of the US is still at work or just leaving work. Not everyone can log in from work. If they hurried up and finished the web portal for order and pantheon stuff it'll become much easier for people to do stuff in the work day.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Valatar posted:

Most of the US is still at work or just leaving work. Not everyone can log in from work. If they hurried up and finished the web portal for order and pantheon stuff it'll become much easier for people to do stuff in the work day.

I will be all over that poo poo when they do. I don't have enough excuses to goof off at work.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Valatar posted:

alright i guess i misjudged the time difference between me and US again

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Liberatore posted:

You needed to hit 3200 and went over the cap*.

* Any amount that goes over the cap in a single reward is still rewarded. This is then subtracted the next week, but it allows you to get an extra ~1100 sparks for the first week. You can easily get to 4500 in the first week as well, which is another 600 sparks.

Carnage (the omnislash) is indeed the best AoE that Slayer has, but it's not that great. It gets way, way better once you have high crit chance, but even then, the range is super short and the cooldown is restrictive. Compare that to Archer, which destroys groups with a zero cooldown massive ranged AoE. Or even Berserker; Firestorm is great when you have to deal with stronger enemies, but Whirlwind is enough to clear swarms, especially after you debuff them with RMB. Monk gets a huge AoE, zero cooldown combo finisher, and two even better AoE attacks on 30s cooldowns. And don't get me started on Necromancer or Warlock/Witch.

Monk is pretty good, but it's all about combo finishers, and most of them have long animations (which you can cancel out of). To maximize damage you have to stay on the boss for as long as possible, and dash away or pop some form of invulnerability at the very last moment. Hell, the Monk execute makes you invulnerable for a few seconds and you're supposed to use that to avoid incoming damage.

Both the promo and training versions of Monk do an awful job of showing how good it can be; it's not just missing or poorly selected talents, the game fails to tell you that monks are supposed to keep switching between earth and fire, and that they can blow up single enemies instantly by stunning them first, that a few of your skills become more powerful the more enemies you hit, or that you're not supposed to tank with Earth despite the 15/30% reduced incoming damage, and rather switch to Wind for CC/invulnerability/mobility.

Holy moly, how do you get to 4500 from here? I'm almost capped on class sparks as well (300 to go) and although I haven't been setting alarms for the middle of the night to feed my cows, I haven't exactly been neglecting them.

I noticed my proficiency is still a fair bit higher than my weapon's requirement, so maybe I just need to do the gear grind? Keep collecting holy texts to boost the temples? My next tablets are on MSM and I don't want to weigh down a team by going in there at 3100 Prestige. It's fun to try missions I'm undergeared for solo, but it's a different story when there are other people involved.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
time is hard yo

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As long as you aren't tank or support, you won't really hurt the team if they carry you through MSM, don't feel bad about doing it.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Clairetic posted:

Holy moly, how do you get to 4500 from here? I'm almost capped on class sparks as well (300 to go) and although I haven't been setting alarms for the middle of the night to feed my cows, I haven't exactly been neglecting them.

I noticed my proficiency is still a fair bit higher than my weapon's requirement, so maybe I just need to do the gear grind? Keep collecting holy texts to boost the temples? My next tablets are on MSM and I don't want to weigh down a team by going in there at 3100 Prestige. It's fun to try missions I'm undergeared for solo, but it's a different story when there are other people involved.

It's mainly the cow feeding part. Like many others, I spent a good chunk of my early access argents on getting my order up quickly. Now I just use the holy text rewards from missions to do that, and it keeps up with my greatness. Getting gear appropriate to your proficiency and upgrading your chapels will also help.

I got to 6,000 prestige before the end of the first week but 5,000 is a more reasonable amount. Some went as high as 9k or so through greatness nodes.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ok how the gently caress do I earn credits at a reasonable rate to keep afloat? Between maxing out adepts/chapels/order stuff and upgrading weapon/offhand/ring slots I am flat broke. I bought and converted about 15k Argents in addition to the 10k I got from Founders, and I am still broke. Obviously I shouldn't have been stupid and spam leveled my adepts/order stuff, but right now I am at a point where if I want I can take a break from order for a bit..however I don't really understand how to make a decent amount of credits other than buying and converting Argents. :saddowns:

PLEASE HELP.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

The way I do it is by not looting credits. I get holy texts from missions and sell them whenever I need credits. My cap this week was 531k which is a bit over a bit over a million in credits if you earned it all through holy texts. Enhancement stones are not as efficient as that so I've probably earned around 900-950k worth of credits through that cap. I don't accelerate missions or spend credits updating them, nor do I buy enhancement stones.

I spent about 15k argents total towards credits/holy texts, but about a third of that went towards bag slots, and now doing the above my temples have kept up with my greatness. My order is rank 6 (about to hit 7), but that doesn't really matter. The only break point I'm in a rush to get to is 18.5k for Silver Pommels and I'm not going to drop any more argents towards that goal.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

BabyFur Denny posted:

How does Knight compare to Paladin in terms of solo play, dps and tankiness in groups? Been looking at that CE to throw some money at. I grouped with one earlier and saw they fight with spear and shield, and have a falcon, some cool poo poo.

It's easily way less positionally dependent. Not as much damage as my maxed out paladin yet but I need better amulets and more talents. There's nothing quite like grouping up a bunch of mobs and exploding them with 3.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

To elaborate on what lib said, a bunch of stuff counts as "credits" when they drop apart from credits, such as holy texts and enhancement stones. The thing is, the amount that is subtracted from your limit isn't the market value, it is a static amount. So holy texts take around 500 credits off your cap when they drop, which is about half of their price on the market. So if you collected your credit cap in mostly holy texts, and sold half of them, you'd have about the same amount of money as someone who only grabbed credits, but you'd also have a pile of holy texts still which they'd have to go buy.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ok but how do I avoid looting credits without avoiding class sparks and other loot?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Loot everything and don't over think it much?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Obscurity posted:

Ok but how do I avoid looting credits without avoiding class sparks and other loot?

Most of class sparks come from boss kills. I loot bosses.

I unlocked my amulet slots last week so no worries there. Trophies aren't particularly useful but you can tell when they drop anyway. If some random mob drops blue gear I will loot that but I've yet to see that happen.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Run dungeons that reward holy texts, ignore all non-boss drops that are white. Bosses drop 20+ class sparks, while the normal mobs drop 1. The color of the item shows you the rarity of the drop, so you can skip white equipment and stuff, and know you aren't missing anything rarer. Don't run dungeons with credit rewards, but other things are just fine.

If you're getting ether crystals currently I'd suggest to just loot everything, since you need 300 of those to unlock all your amulet slots.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Hm, okay. So I should spend all my credits on holy texts and accelerating companion missions? I have been saving them to see if I could sustain premium status using in-game currency but now that I think about it, spending a capped currency to reach the cap sooner seems like a waste.

There's also fusing enhancement stones but that seems really inexpensive. Does it go up exponentially with higher-quality stones?

...actually I just noticed that it's cheaper to sell 3 enhancement stones and buy the next rank than it is to fuse them. At least for now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

"Diet DrPibb" in game trying to go through the thread for Guild invite instructions.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Clairetic posted:

Hm, okay. So I should spend all my credits on holy texts and accelerating companion missions? I have been saving them to see if I could sustain premium status using in-game currency but now that I think about it, spending a capped currency to reach the cap sooner seems like a waste.

There's also fusing enhancement stones but that seems really inexpensive. Does it go up exponentially with higher-quality stones?

...actually I just noticed that it's cheaper to sell 3 enhancement stones and buy the next rank than it is to fuse them. At least for now.

Accelerating missions and refreshing them is a good way to get prestige quickly, but it's also a lot of credits. And while your order isn't, your temples are ultimately capped by your sparks anyway.

Premium isn't really that useful for sparks unless your play time is quite limited, but I like it for the uncapped currencies like ammo/supply and the sparks of evolution.

Fusing stones goes up 3 times per rank, so 100 -> 300 -> 900 credits and so on. Selling rank 1 stones is more efficient but selling rank 2 ones isn't; combine those instead. The prices aren't supposed to be static but when they froze the price of argents on the first day of early access, they froze everything else.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 21, 2015

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Two people are holding up the voting for the next construction. If you're a commander get the gently caress on please and vote "no" so we can vote for an HQ instead

i think it's fetish and stormgale

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, people should be off work by now, so there's no more excuse for not pushing the button. Paging RottenK, we need you back in the thread to call them lazy fucks.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

lewtt posted:

Two people are holding up the voting for the next construction. If you're a commander get the gently caress on please and vote "no" so we can vote for an HQ instead

Was busy crafting in FFXIV and not reading the thread, just did it now you fucks

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

lewtt posted:

I was in jury selection until 5, so blow me.

Also I didn't read the thread before I voted and can't take back the yes, so we're gonna have to deal with that.

Edit: also we're at the point where I don't think we're having space issues, so if you need to demote me or something I don't really care. We should probably just be narrowing down the officers list anyway so that this thing doesn't happen anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

I was the first person to vote yes on that stupid thing. It was 6 am, I was tired and in my sleep deprived state I wrongly assumed that goons wouldn't be stupid enough to start a vote for a building we didn't need

• Locked thread