Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

You can apparently switch signs with the right and left D-pad if you are in combat and holding down block.

I've seen that tip on the loading screen. I've never tried it, mostly because I never find myself holding down block. For some people that might be handy. if I remember I'll test it out and see if it seems nicer than the radial menu. The radial menu slows down time (almost to a stop), so it doesn't screw you over on fights, but it interrupts the flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Snak posted:

I've seen that tip on the loading screen. I've never tried it, mostly because I never find myself holding down block. For some people that might be handy. if I remember I'll test it out and see if it seems nicer than the radial menu. The radial menu slows down time (almost to a stop), so it doesn't screw you over on fights, but it interrupts the flow.

Yeah I've never used it either, I don't like the fact that I would have to either take my thumb off the camera or not be able to move. Radial menu works good, imo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

Lambert doesn't take it well when you don't like his ideas.

gently caress, I've got to try this.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Just finished it. Clocked in around 105 hours, did 99% of the side quests and cleared most ? off the map. Personally, I think I got the best ending: Ciri becomes a Witcher, Geralt lives happily ever after with Yen. :unsmith: Nilfgaard takes over, but Temeria reforms.

Man, what a rollercoaster ride. The story missions from Isle of Mists onwards were amazing. It's been a while since I got so invested in a video game as I did for this. Now the wait until the DLC...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the best ending combo for the main characters and the world in general is actually Witcher Ciri, Geralt and Yen retiring, and Dijkstra taking over Redania, but I can't justify Geralt leaving Roche, Ves, and Thaler to die to myself from a roleplaying standpoint. Geralt just wouldn't do that, I don't think

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah I've never used it either, I don't like the fact that I would have to either take my thumb off the camera or not be able to move. Radial menu works good, imo.

Yeah, the radial menu is pretty well implemented in this game. The actual layout of it and how it interacts with your inventory is kind of lame. The fact that you can't put more items on it because it is two bombs and two pocket items is stupid. Also, you should probably have your whole d-pad as hot keys. Geralt draws and sheaths his sword automatically 99% of the time, even when it's the wrong thing to do (sometimes when you try to draw your sword manually, he has already started drawing automatically and this causes you to re-sheath it.) They could have just made it only automatic and given us two more hot keys.

Even with the current implementation, we should be able to put food or potions in our pocket slots so that we can select them from the radial menu.

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 21, 2015

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I love the environments in this game

Ard Skellig, near Rogne

Velen

e: I wish this game had a Shadow of Mordor style photo mode.

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 21, 2015

Burns
May 10, 2008

Somewhere, somehow, some dumb oval office broke the loving LEFT MOUSE BUTTON! Jesus gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So what's the deal on Chernobog Runestones... they still don't show any damage increase.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Is it possible to play Gwent with everyone in the game and not get all the cards cause you get hosed by the random rewards?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

cams posted:

Is it possible to play Gwent with everyone in the game and not get all the cards cause you get hosed by the random rewards?
I believe the rewards are just pulled randomly from a finite pool of set cards and you will eventually get them all. There are several opportunities to screw yourself on the unique cards, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just did the "Here Comes the Groom" (Skellige) Contract at level 20... God this game makes you feel like a badass Witcher. The special Siren appeared and I swooped towards me to I hit it with Igni and then executed it. Just the whole "oh I guess there's a really old monster here that people used to worship. Okay it's dead." feel is so cool.

I my jump my difficulty up to Death March before I even finish this playthrough. I do a ridiculous amount of damage.

edit: V that's what I'm saying, BnBB is downright easy if I attempt things near my level.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 21, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DM is hardest near the beginning, honestly.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I sort of miss how in the early game below level 8 or so I was constantly broke. I think if I do a 3rd playthrough, I'm going to force myself to not loot anything at all and force myself to purchase all my alchemy ingredients and stuff. Maybe I'll loot just the alcohols required for refills during meditation and the tiny amounts of coins laying around. This DM playthrough I haven't sold anything I've looted, and I still have like 1.5k at level 11. It also might make it harder since I will have to be choosier about what potions/oils/bombs I craft, which would be good because after level 8 even Death March gets pretty easy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

I sort of miss how in the early game below level 8 or so I was constantly broke. I think if I do a 3rd playthrough, I'm going to force myself to not loot anything at all and force myself to purchase all my alchemy ingredients and stuff. Maybe I'll loot just the alcohols required for refills during meditation and the tiny amounts of coins laying around. This DM playthrough I haven't sold anything I've looted, and I still have like 1.5k at level 11. It also might make it harder since I will have to be choosier about what potions/oils/bombs I craft, which would be good because after level 8 even Death March gets pretty easy.

I've been constantly broke, but that's only because I've been so overburdened. On my next playthrough I will be swimming in money.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

DM is hardest near the beginning, honestly.

It really does frontload the difficulty in the first few hours. Once you find relic swords with status effects (or abuse the monster nest bug for upgrades) the game begins to ease off. I was doing level 12-15 quests at level 6 because I explored, found and made superior beast oil, hanged man's venom, devil's puffball and dancing star early on and visited alchemists to fill in the rest.

Not sure how long until I finish my DM no quen playthrough I've messed around a dozen or so hours since getting to Kaer Morhen. My habit of picking a random direction to explore until I've exhausted quests and activities in the area sure doesn't help! I have to do a shirtless playthrough on normal using clubs or axes and quen next time. A crazed axeman that bursts into taverns to play cards. :3:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So what is the deal with relic swords? I have never found one that was better than my current Witcher sword. Are the runestone sockets supposed to make up for it? Because now that I'm level 20, my witcher swords have 2 sockets and better damage. I have been selling barrels of relics, because they are all garbage.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Relic swords are relics because they're old and lovely and no one wanted them. They just dumped them in random tombs and poo poo and the monsters were stuck with them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shame on you if you sold the Emmentaler though.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Is "The Black Pearl" bugged with the newest update? I've tried 3 times now and the quest giver keeps dying to drowners before I can even get out of the water.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Snak posted:

So what is the deal with relic swords? I have never found one that was better than my current Witcher sword. Are the runestone sockets supposed to make up for it? Because now that I'm level 20, my witcher swords have 2 sockets and better damage. I have been selling barrels of relics, because they are all garbage.

They tend to inflict status effects or boost specific sign intensity by a fair bit. The ones with inherent burning, stun or freeze are great to stack procs with runes and cut through contract monsters handily. I haven't used a witcher sword since White Orchard because they have dull bonuses. A relic sword with a native 12% chance to stun on the other hand will be used for a long time. The same goes for a sword that boosted igni by 20% with a 5% chance to stagger. :supaburn:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They should have made greens much harder to get. Like, put the entire set behind a big bad boss that a witcher died trying to fight, and you have to beat that boss to get that set instead of loving off all over the world for a glove upgrade in the isles but the sword upgrade is in Velen. gently caress that poo poo.

Finding one recipe to find the next one is on another map or 3000 steps is so drat bleh :negative:

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 21, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah for the most part dont bother with relics once you've got your witcher greens.

Grey < Blue < Yellow < Brown < Green

Relics sometimes have better stats than your Greens, but have worse substats usually.

Not that it matters as you get closer to 40 anyways.

They should have made greens much harder to get. Like, put the entire set behind a big bad boss that a witcher died trying to fight, and you have to beat that boss to get that set instead of loving off all over the world for a glove upgrade in the isles but the sword upgrade is in Velen. gently caress that poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Delacroix posted:

They tend to inflict status effects or boost specific sign intensity by a fair bit. The ones with inherent burning, stun or freeze are great to stack procs with runes and cut through contract monsters handily. I haven't used a witcher sword since White Orchard because they have dull bonuses. A relic sword with a native 12% chance to stun on the other hand will be used for a long time. The same goes for a sword that boosted igni by 20% with a 5% chance to stagger. :supaburn:

I am a basically pure whirl dps build. The only status effect I care about proccing from my sword is stun.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Shame on you if you sold the Emmentaler though.

I'm kinda mad Geralt never actually tells Vesemir about that time in the deadly maze of the cheesemancer. He'd probably be glad of the break from the Zeugl story.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Snak posted:

I am a basically pure whirl dps build. The only status effect I care about proccing from my sword is stun.

That's one reason to care about dps on your swords. I spam the hell out of bombs and dots so it's not a priority for me.

I've invested in the sword tree for Undying and the dodge invincibility so I have to ask, does Whirl become free to use if you max it out? That would be pretty awesome to build around if it did.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Post-Game, I just found two Wild Hunt Ghosts guarding a locked treasure chest in the cavern where you get the Sunstone. They have an "E" for Talk over their head, but I can't actually talk to them. I can't attack them either. I have a feeling one of them has the key to the locked chest, but I guess I can't do anything about it. :(

Lex Averial
May 12, 2004

Swans. You know, birds.

Poolparty posted:

Is "The Black Pearl" bugged with the newest update? I've tried 3 times now and the quest giver keeps dying to drowners before I can even get out of the water.

I had this happen too. If you aim yourself at him and keep the sign selection open his health bar won't pop up and he won't die. It's slow as hell but I got it to work. Knocked the drowners down with Aard as soon as I was in range.

Edit: and now the end of Skellige's Most Wanted is bugged. At least I had a save right before the last step.

Lex Averial fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 21, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Delacroix posted:

That's one reason to care about dps on your swords. I spam the hell out of bombs and dots so it's not a priority for me.

I've invested in the sword tree for Undying and the dodge invincibility so I have to ask, does Whirl become free to use if you max it out? That would be pretty awesome to build around if it did.

Honestly, I think I only have one point in it so far. I'll put more in eventually, but it works just fine as it is. I'm putting points in the one that gives all my oils chances to poison right now.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Man if you've not tried Alt Yerden give it a shot. Its animation interrupting hits are a godsend, as well zapping flying enemies out of the air. Also nails the boss wraiths when they go into regen mode (provided they are close to the trap) and makes them much more managable.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 21, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm level 7 and just spoke to Anna Strenger. I'm in Vellen. My weapons and armor presently aren't that great... (Definitely the weapons are not.)

What could I / should I go in search of that I can use now/soon that is awesome?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Feenix posted:

I'm level 7 and just spoke to Anna Strenger. I'm in Vellen. My weapons and armor presently aren't that great... (Definitely the weapons are not.)

What could I / should I go in search of that I can use now/soon that is awesome?
Really, the only thing you should go out of your way to find is the witcher sets, the first of which has a minimum level requirement of 11 (at least according to the dude earlier in the thread when I asked). That would be the Griffin School set, some medium armor that boosts sign intensity.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Who all can you bring to the Battle of Kaer Morhen? I'm assuming the witchers plus Yen and Triss are mandatory. Past that I got Hjalmar (Cerys was queen), Ermion, Ves and Roche, Letho, Keira, and Zoltan. Dijkstra gave me gold and Crach gave me a sword.

Is that everybody or should I have side-quested more?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

loot is randomly picked. hard to point you in any direction. The ? marks on the map you want are bandit camps, guarded treasures, and hidden stashes as they more frequently yield gear or crafting recipes.

Really the advice I would give you is don't worry too much about your gear early on. around lvl 10 you can wear cool looking nilfgarrd armor (free dlc) bought at the Crow's Nest quartermaster, I actually wore this rather than the better assassins stuff because it didn't make me look like a tard. Around level 12ish I would try to find and craft Griffin witcher gear as it is far better than regular stuff. Though going after witcher gear shoehorns you into only really using witcher gear. Right now I am doing a playthrough purposefully NOT getting witcher gear to see the other armor sets

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 21, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

1stGear posted:

Who all can you bring to the Battle of Kaer Morhen? I'm assuming the witchers plus Yen and Triss are mandatory. Past that I got Hjalmar (Cerys was queen), Ermion, Ves and Roche, Letho, Keira, and Zoltan. Dijkstra gave me gold and Crach gave me a sword.

Is that everybody or should I have side-quested more?

It' almost everybody. Hjalmar can bring his buddy Forlan and Vigi the Loon with him if you saved them on his sidequest.

Still hoping against hope that Iorveth gets added and recruitable at some point. Him, Roche , and Letho being in the same room would be hilarious.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the advice on weapons and such. I guess I just feel like my swords usually just feel like I'm barely scratching anything that isn't many levels below me.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Sharmat posted:

It' almost everybody. Hjalmar can bring his buddy Forlan and Vigi the Loon with him if you saved them on his sidequest.

Still hoping against hope that Iorveth gets added and recruitable at some point. Him, Roche , and Letho being in the same room would be hilarious.

Yeah, I had those two also, just forgot about them. Thanks!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I had an "oh poo poo" moment when I realized I'd sent Letho, Ves, and Roche to Kaer Morhen together. Their pissing match in the courtyard had me honestly worried I'd have to decide between two pretty sweet friend groups. Adding Iorveth to that would be hilarious. I miss that guy,

Snak posted:

I'm thinking about specc'ing out of Whirl just because anything that's big, slow, and doesn't have a quick counter just goes down so drat fast. Its too easy. A high-ranking alchemy build might also be stupidly overpowered, but at least it'd be differently so.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Clearly we need a drunk Letho/Roche/Iorveth scene then. Make it happen Comte.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Iorveth being cut from this game is a crime all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This game deserves some kind of award for most bloated inventory of all time. So many thousands of things I don't need or care about at my disposal at all times.