Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hav posted:

Thanks for the explanation. At the risk of creating a war, can anyone recommend Batman graphic novels _beyond_ Year One, Dark Knight Returns and Killing joke? I have more money to spend on comics now.

If you like one shot stories completely disconnected from mainline batman, I like Gotham by Gaslight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hav posted:

Thanks for the explanation. At the risk of creating a war, can anyone recommend Batman graphic novels _beyond_ Year One, Dark Knight Returns and Killing joke? I have more money to spend on comics now.

I'm a big fan of "The Long Halloween" and "Hush."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hav posted:

The Long Halloween, basically.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I will whip you up a good rec. list sometime after I get home from work.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hav posted:

Long Halloween is pretty good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've heard good things about that Court of Owls storyline.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah I've been slowly reading through the 2011 onwards Batman series and it's all pretty drat good. Court of Owls is decent story.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Steve2911 posted:

See also 'How it should have ended' and 'Honest trailers'.

The scum of the internet. Made by scum for scum.

"How it should have ended" is boring and mostly relies on "if only the characters were as smart as us, then we could skip the movie," but Honest Trailers is funny.

quote:

Pretty much.

"Year One" was written shortly after the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" DC mega-event in 1985 that rebooted their entire universe, and was meant to establish the official Bat-origin for the DCU going forward (originally published in Batman #404–407).

DKR (and its...interesting sequel DKSA) was Miller pretty much doing his own thing on the concept of the last Batman story. It, like these games, is separate from everything else. It's just SUPER POPULAR.

(for completeness sake) "Zero Year" is Scott Snyder's take on the first year shenanigans of Bruce's Batmanning in the rebooted-again-in-2011 DC universe, and is a good source of quality modern Riddler (Batman #21–33).

Don't forget All-Star Batman and Robin, which Frank Miller insists is in the same universe as DKR and which DC probably wishes never happened.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Like most stuff by Snyder I think the concept is really good, but the actual writing is not. He's too wordy. Like he's not quite on the Tim Buckley level of "words words words" but he does seem to forget that comics are a visual form quite often, and have entire pages filled with nothing but word balloons.

E: All Star Batman is loving amazing and I really hope Miller can finish it some day. Batman calling Robin a retard and loving Black Canary in the middle of the docks, where the corpses of all the thugs they just murdered are strewn about...man...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Like most stuff by Snyder I think the concept is really good, but the actual writing is not. He's too wordy. Like he's not quite on the Tim Buckley level of "words words words" but he does seem to forget that comics are a visual form quite often, and have entire pages filled with nothing but word balloons.
Also take a drink after each issue that starts with "My father once told me..." or something to that effect.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It is, and I love Snyder's New 52 Batman run so far.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Hav posted:

If you're into stand alone stories, check out A Serious House on Serious Earth. Arkham Asylum is partially based on it. Arkham Asylum: Living Hell is a good one too.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?
I would say most of Grant Morrison's run of Batman was really good, especially The Black Casebook, The Black Glove, and Batman R.I.P (read them in that order).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Also super relevant reading for Arkham Knight is "A Death in the Family." Can't believe that hasn't been suggested yet.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Also super relevant reading for Arkham Knight is "A Death in the Family." Can't believe that hasn't been suggested yet.
Because it's terrible.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hav posted:

No man's land

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Gotham Central is a book exclusively about being a cop in Gotham, and is absolutely worth your time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CuwiKhons posted:

If you're into stand alone stories, check out A Serious House on Serious Earth.

Be warned that Serious House is good but also weird/crazy as poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

Joker's now an Iranian ambassador and gassing the UN because he has diplomatic immunity.

An actual plot point from that story.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

Joker's now an Iranian ambassador and gassing the UN because he has diplomatic immunity.

An actual plot point from that story.

So... is the UN headquartered in New York or Gotham or...?

Also, how on earth does the Joker get selected to be the Iranian ambassador?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

HaitianDivorce posted:

New York.

Because the Iranians want to destroy the UN.

Here was my list from earlier in the thread of good Batman stories

ayn rand hand job posted:

Killing Joke is good, as is Strange Apparitions, Knightfall, No Mans Land, Batman RIP, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and A Court of Owls.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

2 hours or so until I have this game installed on my new rig (game came via free NVidia code), looking forward to this entirely bug-free PC gaming experience at 60fps so much.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Okay, draw Dick Sprang's Joker, but make him have an eating disorder."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

surc posted:

2 hours or so until I have this game installed on my new rig (game came via free NVidia code), looking forward to this entirely bug-free PC gaming experience at 60fps so much.

Use the utility from the steam forum.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046870624615/

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Steve2911 posted:

See also 'How it should have ended' and 'Honest trailers'.

The scum of the internet. Made by scum for scum.

I want to live in a world where the worst things online are videos that make fun of stupid movies.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Is the Bat DDT still in? I beat the game, but I don't remember seeing it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JT Smiley posted:

I want to live in a world where the worst things online are videos that make fun of stupid movies.
Yeah really, like jesus christ it's just a series of Youtube videos. There is much worse scum out there than people that make less than funny jokes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hav posted:

Batman & Robin.

You get a fun Batman and a grumpy Robin and a really good story.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

blackguy32 posted:

Is the Bat DDT still in? I beat the game, but I don't remember seeing it.

Huh?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I only ever recall Batman doing that to Deadshot in Arkham City.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think he does it as part of a stealth takedown out of a grate.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

Are we sure he beat Jason Todd with a crowbar? Pretty sure he beat Jason with that long-rear end chin of his.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Long Halloween, the Court of Owls, and Hush. Stay away from Serious House, it's edgy for the sake of edginess and kinda stupid. Stay even further away from All Star, it's NOTHING like All-Star Superman.

Fun Fact: I thought they just made up random names for the islands in this game, but Miagani is name dropped here in the New 52. I'm re-reading the volumes I have since I'm gonna go on another comics spree here soon. I definitely plan on Year One in print and the Batman trades on Comixology. What are the recs on the other Bat-Family books? I have all of Nightwing and a couple volumes of Batman & Robin. I've heard good things about Grayson. Batgirl? Jason? Tim?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Injustice series is way better than any comic book series tie-in to a lovely fighting game has any right to be.
It's still on-going, and the beginning's a bit rough, but it soon finds its stride and there is so much Batmaning around you won't believe it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

WARNING! Turn your volume waaaay down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTKLs3PD6Y

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

blackguy32 posted:

WARNING! Turn your volume waaaay down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTKLs3PD6Y

Ouhhh, that type of DDT. I was thinking of some kind of spray. Thank you for the explanation.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

Fun Fact: I thought they just made up random names for the islands in this game, but Miagani is name dropped here in the New 52. I'm re-reading the volumes I have since I'm gonna go on another comics spree here soon. I definitely plan on Year One in print and the Batman trades on Comixology. What are the recs on the other Bat-Family books? I have all of Nightwing and a couple volumes of Batman & Robin. I've heard good things about Grayson. Batgirl? Jason? Tim?
Some of the Miagani tribe are ancestors of Bruce Wayne, in fact.

Batgirl after the (soft) reboot is fun. Incorporated is great, but it's at the end of Morrison's run and isn't really a good place to dive in.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I suspect that additional Miagani material might be tied to an in-game easter egg- there are secondary references to it scattered around beyond the big ones in one of the sidequests (you know the one- the really, really, really short one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

SonicRulez posted:

The Long Halloween, the Court of Owls, and Hush. Stay away from Serious House, it's edgy for the sake of edginess and kinda stupid. Stay even further away from All Star, it's NOTHING like All-Star Superman.

Serious House isn't really edgy??? I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about, other than like, Batman getting slapped on the rear end.

• Locked thread