Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Fister Roboto posted:

The actual hot and cold part of it sucks, but getting ultimate or near-ultimate equipment right at the start of disc 3 owns bones and is well worth the effort.

The actual hot and cold part was kind of fun, but not as fun as playing it via emulator and quickly getting awesome poo poo very very early on in the game thanks to always getting perfect runs with a lot of time left over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

God - I mean, Lightning - help me but playing XIII-2 has rekindled a lot of my interest or love for XII.As such I'm curious about something I had long since forgotten about.

Is the party's Focus to destroy Cocoon, as Barthandelus says? When this had been brought up in the past, people have pointed out the Pulse fal'Cie are the ones who made the party l'Cie so Barthandelus should have no clue what their Focus is and he's just manipulating them. But if I'm recalling correctly, the party turns to crystal after killing Orphan. That means they destroyed Cocoon and crystalization means they fulfilled their Focus.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

God - I mean, Lightning - help me but playing XIII-2 has rekindled a lot of my interest or love for XII.As such I'm curious about something I had long since forgotten about.

Is the party's Focus to destroy Cocoon, as Barthandelus says? When this had been brought up in the past, people have pointed out the Pulse fal'Cie are the ones who made the party l'Cie so Barthandelus should have no clue what their Focus is and he's just manipulating them. But if I'm recalling correctly, the party turns to crystal after killing Orphan. That means they destroyed Cocoon and crystalization means they fulfilled their Focus.
I don't think its a stretch to figure the fal'cie apocalypse plan is as old as the last Pulse-Cocoon war so it'd be only natural a Pulse fal'cie would be making l'cie to blow up Cocoon. And if they didn't that's what he wants you to think anyway, so covering all the bases.

More fantastically, maybe fal'cie all operate on some similar crystal wavelength and can read a l'cie's focus.

Either way yeah, their focus did end up being to kill Orphan. It all harps on some weird theme about how being a slave to destiny means you will eventually not be a slave to destiny because divine intervention?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there any explanation why those five were picked for the Cocoon-destroying mission? Why not Serah, or anybody else who saw a Pulse fal'cie? If Anima made everyone who saw it a l'Cie with the Focus to destroy Cocoon they'd have a lot better chance of pulling it off.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Because Toriyama said so.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
13-2 is hilarious because the very first loving thing that happens is Lightning stumbling into an actual manifested retcon bubble that erases her from the ending of the original game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started playing 13-2, then I got Witcher 3 and lol I'm not playing 13-2

However I did go back to X2 on my vita, what's the quickest way to get psychic

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I started playing 13-2, then I got Witcher 3 and lol I'm not playing 13-2

However I did go back to X2 on my vita, what's the quickest way to get psychic

Beat the Standard cup is the way I know of, it shouldn't be too hard - I've had it by the time I was storming the Leblanc base.

Also, I'm going to have access to my PS3 and so am going to continue playing FF XIII-2 and Lightning Return again and this time hopefully beat them, wish me luck.

edit: also if you missed the requirements for the Mascot apparently it can be gained from winning a high level cup, so there's that. Winning Shinra's tournaments in general is fairly useful, although I don't like his gimmick of being secretly the most powerful being on the planet or something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah I tried it at level 1 and was massively under leveled. You can just use normal characters right don't need to mess with the monster stuff?

Also can you really play the entire game as a behemoth. drat

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Oh yeah I tried it at level 1 and was massively under leveled. You can just use normal characters right don't need to mess with the monster stuff?

Also can you really play the entire game as a behemoth. drat

Yep, you can use any party you want, it has normal limits. The only problem with that is that leveling monsters up takes a long time and they join at a level appropriate to YRP - so in some cases (lv 99) you can't actually level them up at all. Still, it's only a problem for the Creature Release and very few of them have something useful (Aeon cup monsters and the Adamantite is everything I can remember).

Playing with monsters is fun, but because of AI roulette it can be frustrating (stupid bombs exploding themselves every time).

Also remember that having 0 stars halves the incoming damage and the monsters can't run in a middle of an attack animation (and probably from the Boss fights?).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh right, you can't actually control them. I feel like that would get annoying with a fully monster party but maybe could make a 2 person +1 monster party more manageable (the pace of battle can be pretty quick)

Also I saw you can get like, Seymour as a monster so that seems cool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

That loving Sned posted:

I'm stuck on the final boss in Lightning Returns, since I could barely get past the second phase, and it turns out he has four.

I'll try some different item sets tomorrow, since it's so easy to run out of healing items.

The final boss is tough, for sure. You should be able to build up a set that has enough blocking or the right accessories to stop incoming damage by now, though, which will definitely help. It's good to save a use of One Man Army for the final form since you have to stagger it, iirc.

You have the Ultima sword, right?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

That loving Sned posted:

I'm stuck on the final boss in Lightning Returns, since I could barely get past the second phase, and it turns out he has four.

I'll try some different item sets tomorrow, since it's so easy to run out of healing items.

I was stuck on his final form but beat him thanks to this advice:

Systematic System posted:

Use -ra tier magic (thundra/aerora specifically). The only time the stagger gauge has a possibility of dropping is if you spend all of "Heartless Angel" guarding, instead of waiting till the attack is about go off.

No fancy strategies or anything. Just spam the poo poo out of him.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Oh right, you can't actually control them. I feel like that would get annoying with a fully monster party but maybe could make a 2 person +1 monster party more manageable (the pace of battle can be pretty quick)

And Auron and Brother and Tidus too.

The problem I had with full monster party, as fun as it is, is that they're mostly dumb and unless you steamroll opponents you'll die from the lack of healing and the plentiful gravity type attacks - unless you have a dedicated support monsters and not try to fight with the biggest and meanest monsters available, but you might as well use the girls and have them use Special Spheres if you want to be sensible. I wish you could have an emergency slot or a type of support from the sidelines type of arrangement.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well this is a fine coincidence. I'll keep all that in mind when I reach the end of LR next month should I have problems with the final boss.

FFXIII-2 SPOILERS
I just beat XIII-2 though. I suspect it would have had more of an impact had I not already known what a SHOCKING SWERVE it would be with everyone happy and everything perfect and then, oops, Serah's dead and the world ends. Now it's just a matter of collecting the Paradox Endings and filling the Bestiary. That Bestiary seems like it might be a pain in the rear end... I'm not quite sure just how much I'm missing.

Overall, it was a fun game, which is more than I can say for XIII. As for the plot and characters and so=on....well, there was a plot and characters and so-on. That's all I'm gonna say. Except for the fact I blame Yeul for loving over the world. I'm 99% sure she was warning us not to kill Caius and that this would destroy everything but she did it in the most needlessly cryptic fashion possible. All she had to say is "killing Caius is probably what he wants so make sure you don't do it."

Oh I forgot I gotta do the Lightning DLC too.... And I did get most of the Paradox Endings, including the best one with Time Cop Snow. I was spoiled on that long ago but, hey, it never hurts to see the best character in the trilogy reaffirming why I've always loved him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 21, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh I forgot I gotta do the Lightning DLC too.... And I did get most of the Paradox Endings, including the best one with Time Cop Snow. I was spoiled on that long ago but, hey, it never hurts to see the best character in the trilogy reaffirming why I've always loved him.

I don't remember Sazh showing up in that ending, weird.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

A guy posts vague musings about how he thinks a game's plot will unfold and a poster goes insane with rage, meanwhile this post just spoils the entire ending and what can you do?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh yeah and the final attack of One Man Army depends on which schemata you've got equipped when you start it, which is important for the few enemies which have a damage threshold (the afro cactuar, for example)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

A guy posts vague musings about how he thinks a game's plot will unfold and a poster goes insane with rage, meanwhile this post just spoils the entire ending and what can you do?

I'm sorry? I mean, I guess it's likely not everyone hangs out in the FF thread and on FF message boards like i do and so they could avoid hearing the really big spoilers about XIII-2 and LR that are discussed rather frequently without any sort of spoiler tags.

Still, I apologize, I just didn't think anyone in here would care.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh I forgot I gotta do the Lightning DLC too....
Don't! That DLC is a waste of time (unless you REALLY want to unlock Lightning for XIII-2).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I already got Lightning, although it's the Ravager version you get from the Colosseum. I really needed a good Ravager and she seemed to fit the bill. She's done very well and helped me defeat every boss I've attempted.
I also have her wear the Red Mage's Chapeau because its jauntiness contrasts very well with her super-serious expression and demeanor.

But what's so bad about the DLC? I thought it was kinda like an epilogue of the game or whatever.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm sorry? I mean, I guess it's likely not everyone hangs out in the FF thread and on FF message boards like i do and so they could avoid hearing the really big spoilers about XIII-2 and LR that are discussed rather frequently without any sort of spoiler tags.

I don't quite care, but still it's a nice thing to do to cover spoilers for the benefit of the onlookers, so thanks for your understanding!

NikkolasKing posted:

I already got Lightning, although it's the Ravager version you get from the Colosseum. I really needed a good Ravager and she seemed to fit the bill. She's done very well and helped me defeat every boss I've attempted.
I also have her wear the Red Mage's Chapeau because its jauntiness contrasts very well with her super-serious expression and demeanor.

But what's so bad about the DLC? I thought it was kinda like an epilogue of the game or whatever.

As far as I know, the DLC is just one long fight, but you're going to fight it over and over again, since you start too weak and are locked in a time loop - also, you always start at the beginning. Mechanically it's quite nice, you have to make use of the paradigm system and utilize ATB well, but it can become tedious quite easily.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

I don't quite care, but still it's a nice thing to do to cover spoilers for the benefit of the onlookers, so thanks for your understanding!

As far as I know, the DLC is just one long fight, but you're going to fight it over and over again, since you start too weak and are locked in a time loop - also, you always start at the beginning. Mechanically it's quite nice, you have to make use of the paradigm system and utilize ATB well, but it can become tedious quite easily.

Yup. You beat me to it, but yeah that's it. Plus the ending is there to explain how Lightning sat on that throne and turned to crystal - the thing the main game briefly showed (if I remember correctly).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

they explain everything in lr anyway so who cares

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The monster stuff seemed neat but I couldn't not use YRP for everything because I just wanted to level up dresses and the high pace of the battles using three girls is great and rewarding. Man I kinda boot X-2 up again, having a cutscene skip is great and the game basically drops you right into Ch. 1 in like 15 minutes. There's a new game plus mode correct? What does that get you?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

you didnt think people in a FF thread would care about the completely needless spoilering of the end of a FF game?

riiiggghhhht......

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

you didnt think people in a FF thread would care about the completely needless spoilering of the end of a FF game?

riiiggghhhht......

To be fair, it's the second Final Fantasy XIII game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
By the time the game ends up in the generic Final Fantasy thread the story buzz should be dead enough unless I'm still supposed to be barring up Aeris dies and Tidus is a ghost dream.

LR spoilers maybe, but 13-2 is like 3 years old.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there any explanation why those five were picked for the Cocoon-destroying mission? Why not Serah, or anybody else who saw a Pulse fal'cie? If Anima made everyone who saw it a l'Cie with the Focus to destroy Cocoon they'd have a lot better chance of pulling it off.
Did anyone else actually come into contact with Anima? There's been some fairly long range demonstrations of l'cieing in the series but for whatever reason Anime's was short enough it specifically gave Serah a focus to lure more fodder to it.

E. And I think it's implied that that's what Pulse l'cie did on Pulse to make it a hellscape of cie'th.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 21, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TommyGun85 posted:

riiiggghhhht......

Well it wasn't one worth caring about. so...

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

In Training posted:

The monster stuff seemed neat but I couldn't not use YRP for everything because I just wanted to level up dresses and the high pace of the battles using three girls is great and rewarding. Man I kinda boot X-2 up again, having a cutscene skip is great and the game basically drops you right into Ch. 1 in like 15 minutes. There's a new game plus mode correct? What does that get you?

Just about everything but levels and key items.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

zedprime posted:

By the time the game ends up in the generic Final Fantasy thread the story buzz should be dead enough unless I'm still supposed to be barring up Aeris dies and Tidus is a ghost dream.

goddamn it man, there goes FFVII and FFX for me....

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

Dresspheres, Garment Grids, and all items and equipment but you are level 1.

I remember the first time I played through FFX2 I rushed through the entire story severely, severely underleveled and beat the game in like 10 hours so I definitely made use of it. I could only beat the endgame fights by equipping the special dressphere on Rikku, then debuffing their defense 10 times and buffing my attack 10 times and somehow healing inbetween or something? I have no idea how that worked.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Having access to all the jobs from the beginning sounds fun as hell

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

Having access to all the jobs from the beginning sounds fun as hell

You have to be careful with it cuz you can just make everyone a Mascot and steamroll the whole game, or Lady Luck with double EXP, but it is cool especially since some of the jobs are already useless by the time you get them so you get to give them a chance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You have to be careful with it cuz you can just make everyone a Mascot and steamroll the whole game, or Lady Luck with double EXP, but it is cool especially since some of the jobs are already useless by the time you get them so you get to give them a chance

I didn't get Mascot, Psychic or Lady Luck on my first play through, so I think if I did a NG+ run id use a guide and pick up more optional stuff that I missed.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Psychic is fun as hell and all three outfits are pretty nifty too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So as someone who knows my own flaws pretty well, I'm trying to keep my interest peaked in the XIII Trilogy because, if I let my attention slip, I'll never get LR. If I lose focus for too long, games just lose all interest for me and I wander off. FFV and Skyrim are currently To Be Continued because I got hooked on something else.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm trying to keep my interest in LR up and to do that, I wanna ask a question that's been bugging me. I was looking at the Xbox Marketplace to maybe buy and download LR. I did that for XIII-2 and it was a reasonable $20. Maybe that's still overpriced but not bad considering convenience. Lightning Returns though is still loving full price, which is absurd. So I'm definitely going to be getting that off ebay or whatever.

But I also was thinking I might get some of the DLC costumes and that's where my question lies. Does LR have like a X-2 job system? What clothes Lightning wears determines her role? It's just, the costumes aren't intuitive in this game. X-2 had the roles named. Here, if I get the DLC and switch Lightning to Cloud's outfit, does that make her a Warrior?

Also is there a lengthy tutorial on all of this in the game itself? I'm always nervous when I start a new RPG because I generally assume I'll be absolute poo poo at it and I know LR plays nothing like what I'm used to. Tell me, is it like Kingdom Hearts? 'cuz I'm bad at KH. Like, really bad.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

There are no named classes or roles. Clothes give you specific buffs/debuffs and abilities, like for example Cloud's outfit gives you a little extra defense and a really powerful physical attack called Slayer. You get his sword and bracer as well but you can mix and match all your equipment/abilities.

The game explains itself pretty well. You can play through the introductory dungeon in the demo if you want to get a head start on it. It'll unlock something in the main game too if you beat it.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 22, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I never played FFIX when it first came out because the main character had a tail, but now that I'm less of a douche and I have a Vita, I'm starting it and it actually seems pretty fun. Anything critical I should know, like any "You missed a dialogue option/chest in the beginning, we locked you out of the best weapon in the game rear end in a top hat" moments?

Also I am getting cards? Is there a card game like Triple Triad? Triple Triad was the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never played FFIX when it first came out because the main character had a tail, but now that I'm less of a douche and I have a Vita, I'm starting it and it actually seems pretty fun. Anything critical I should know, like any "You missed a dialogue option/chest in the beginning, we locked you out of the best weapon in the game rear end in a top hat" moments?

Also I am getting cards? Is there a card game like Triple Triad? Triple Triad was the poo poo.

there is a card game, but it is incomprehensible.