Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

I love the color scheme. Beast Wars?

But it's not a rhino!

poo poo, I really should get to converting my broken Transmetal Megatron (I have a nonbroken one too!) into an ork robot dinosaur already. Just need to figure out what to use to cover up the chest cavity where the robot arms go (one of which is broken off), then decide what all guns and poo poo from my bitsbox I'm adding. Also how I'm painting it etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DrPop posted:

drat son. Looks pretty dope.

Thank you! I'm particularly proud of the dozer blade. I've been putting far too much money into buying Chimera dozer blades for my Marine tanks - I think it makes for a cool addition to the tanks, makes them look a lot more aggressive.

An Angry Bug posted:

I love the color scheme. Beast Wars?

Pre-Heresy Death Guard, actually, or my spin on it! Got a shitload of rescue Marines from some friends and I'm quietly putting together a whole Battle Company with the Imperial Fists rules - got a counts-as Kantor and Lysander already.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Briefly asked on previous page but got covered by the excellent Battle Reports - recently got the updated books for my Eldar/DA/Khorne, and while I like a lot of the new things, my Iyanden force is now Unbound, as far as I can tell.

I have:
Spiritseer
2x Wraithguard with Wave Serpent
1x Wraithblades with Wave Serpent
5x Rangers
2x Crimson Hunter
2x Wraithlord
1x Wraithknight
1x Fire Prism

I've had my guys since 3rd ed (my Guard are all the old metal unipose) and was thrilled when they suddenly got competitive in 6th, but even if I use the new Wrath Host formation I still need more Troops for a legal CAD. I'm still exploring the new codex but slightly annoyed I have to buy more models (I had more Eldar before but sold everything outside of my list for rent).

What troops do you guys think would fit into the army well? I have 1 squad of rangers already but typically they just die in games and thematically don't exactly fit with the Ghost theme.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You have a few options:
- CAD
- Windrider Host
- x1 Crimson Hunter and x1 Foot Farseer (you won't be able to use the x1 Wraithlord and the Fire Prism in the same bound list) - This is your cheapest retail option.

I'd just recommend a Jetseer and two bike squads for CAD. Alternatively, if you bought another Crimson Hunter you could field the majority of it as two formation detachments: Wraithost and Crimson Death and it'd probably be pretty effective. If you added a Farseer (on foot) and the Rangers in an allied detachment, you could add either the Fire Prism or the Wraithlord.

If you're up for it, I am thinking of selling the following depending how fast I can paint their replacements:
- x6 old-style painted jetbikes
- x2 old-style shuriken cannon jetbikes (unpainted)

Jetbikes can fit thematically into any army at some level. With an Iyanden army, two small, fast and objective grabbing squads not only benefit your ponderous Wraith formation, but also fit well with the minimal Guardian theme.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 20, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can't take an allied detachment with the same faction as your Primary.

Direwolf, are you coming to Nova? I'll bring up and give you 10 Guardians if you are, although Boon's Jetbikes are probably a better idea.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Direwolf, are you coming to Nova? I'll bring up and give you 10 Guardians if you are, although Boon's Jetbikes are probably a better idea.

You can in ITC.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Direwolf is on the East Coast, and I don't expect that to survive the next ITC season. Every book has options for Formations now.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I ammmm but need to register, I think, hadn't 100% fleshed out plans. I will confirm that.

Naramyth, what is ITC?

I had considered another Crimson Hunter as I like the model and it has a points reduction. Honestly my wraithlord is useless, I've always used it because I think the model is nifty/goofy and it's fluffy but I'm comfortable cutting it for points, but I think it's part of the wraith host formation? I need to look it up when I get home from work. I do like using the Fire Prism, if nothing else it tends to attract a lot of fire and can deal with massed marines in a way the rest of the army isn't incredible at.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Tank Commander: Knight Commander Pask 70
Leman Russ Punisher: sponson multi-meltas 160
Leman Russ Executioner: sponson plasma cannons 185

Veteran Squad: Grenadiers; 2× plasma gun; heavy flamer; + 1 Veteran Sergeant 115
Chimera: autocannon 70
Veteran Squad: Grenadiers; 2× meltagun; heavy flamer; + 1 Veteran Sergeant 105
Veteran Squad: Grenadiers; 2× plasma gun; heavy flamer; + 1 Veteran Sergeant 115

Manticore 170
1 Wyvern 65

1.370 points

What should I add to bring this up to 1500 points? Im thinking either a basilisk or a hellhound.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Manticore 170
1 Wyvern 65

1.370 points

What should I add to bring this up to 1500 points? Im thinking either a basilisk or a hellhound.

Two more Wyverns. Unless you like friends.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I quite like friends.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

I quite like friends.

Well not two Wyverns then. You could use some AA though.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Any of y'all ever tried using bits from GW's LOTR stuff for 40k minis? I stumbled upon the Easterling minis they have (completely forgot they did a LOTR line) last night and figured that some of their heads might make for non-generic CSM helms at the very least, if they scale properly.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Manticore 170
1 Wyvern 65

1.370 points

Tbh a vendetta would be amazing in this list. Good anti air and anti vehicle.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

A vendetta is 170 points, not 130.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

A vendetta is 170 points, not 130.

drat, was thinking previous codex in terms of points.

For 130 you should probably put the hellhound in. Theyre pretty solid.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I could drop the grenadier upgrade on all the vets.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Here's a little project I started last year, but never used properly until recently.

This is a bunch of Rippers glued onto disc magnets:

And this is a base with piece of magnetic paper glued to it:

Stick them together and you end up with a fairly cool way to keep track of wounds on your larger Tyranid beasties. I had originally used magnetic paper on the Rippers too, but the hold wasn't strong enough and they'd often fall off the base. I realised a few weeks ago that I had a shitload of spare disc magnets, so why not use them?

I've spent the last few weeks sorting out 67 Rippers onto much stronger magnets and making sure (nearly) all of my multi-wound bugs have either magnetic paper on the base, or tiny carefully hidden magnets. I also re-based my old Zoans and Hive Guard onto 50mm because apparently I'm really good as procrastinating over the huge pile of stuff I still have to paint.

After tidying up the base to hide the edges of the magnetic strip, this is what you end up with:

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

xtothez posted:

Here's a little project I started last year, but never used properly until recently.

Stick them together and you end up with a fairly cool way to keep track of wounds on your larger Tyranid beasties. I had originally used magnetic paper on the Rippers too, but the hold wasn't strong enough and they'd often fall off the base. I realised a few weeks ago that I had a shitload of spare disc magnets, so why not use them?

I've spent the last few weeks sorting out 67 Rippers onto much stronger magnets and making sure (nearly) all of my multi-wound bugs have either magnetic paper on the base, or tiny carefully hidden magnets. I also re-based my old Zoans and Hive Guard onto 50mm because apparently I'm really good as procrastinating over the huge pile of stuff I still have to paint.

After tidying up the base to hide the edges of the magnetic strip, this is what you end up with:

My brother did the same thing with his. It's very useful, and much easier to keep track of instead of a random dice following the monster around. One problem though is that it's almost as if everyone is carefully shooting the tiny creatures before taking down the big bug in one hit. MY NARRATIVE.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I always think about doing this with snotlings. Let us know how it goes in-game.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

I could drop the grenadier upgrade on all the vets.

No way worth it. I'd stick with a hellhound, they're solid units as long as you use them correctly - I've actually found holding them in reserve can be quite clutch depending on the army you're facing.

Some pictures of my Pyroclasts

Album - http://imgur.com/a/TkuXv

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Squifferific posted:

One problem though is that it's almost as if everyone is carefully shooting the tiny creatures before taking down the big bug in one hit. MY NARRATIVE.
Do it the other way around and use rippers to mark inflicted wounds, as the little scavengers get ready to salvage the lost biomass.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Are Wyches any good? Anyone do anything with them? I keep reading they are about as bad as infantry can get but they're my favorite model in my favorite army. I don't really play, most of the models I own are just because I like them, but I finally seem to have found a scene nearby so I kinda want to start. I think I've posted in here before about this stuff but I was never able to do anything with it and I assume it's been out long enough for the main strategies to be pretty well known.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I finally finished painting something. :woop: Sorry for the kinda lovely picture but I couldn't get better lighting. Might retake one when it's daylight again.

Go figure what I'm going to paint next. I am tempted to buy a Broadside suit to just assemble and paint up because I'm hankering for something bigger than just infantry constantly and the railgun version is honestly really cool.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
This last week I went to Belfast for work for about a week. I was fortunate enough to be able to bring my wife along with me. Since I was already in Belfast, it's only a quick 1 hour flight to Nottingham from there. So I spent the weekend visiting Warhammer World and Sunday I played a 30k game of 3vs3 (Space Wolves, Space Wolves, Ultramarines vs. Word Bearers, Deathguard, Deathguard). My wife and I split up my force and played it as a team.

Here are a few pictures from the day there:

The Traitors: Myself and my wife on the right. Paul Rudge (FW Editor) next to me, his mate Chris next to him.

Deployment from Deathguard and Word Bearers point of view.

The loyalists - from left to right: Craig, Demitri (FW painter - you've seen his roboute guilliman), Jason Mullins (from The Overlords Podcast)

With the Gal Vorbak, it always ends up as a dog pile in the middle while people try to stop them.

A five our game resulted in a tie when the loyalists were unable to destroy the two remaining Gal Vorbak contesting the middle objective.

All in all a great day of gaming with some amazing pictures taken. I have played with these guys multiple times and it was just a ton of fun, beer, fun, gaming, and fun.

To top it all off, my wife and I headed out to dinner that evening with a couple of other friends...
Left to Right: Alan Bligh (FW Author), Chelle Tuttle (Awesome Wife), John French (Black Library Author)

If you haven't gone to Warhammer World since the remodel, I can assure you it is a completely different experience. It is so much more amazing than it used to be. I could post pictures I took of the miniatures exhibits, but quite honestly pictures, video, stories... they just do not do it justice. You have to see it to believe it. I have come away more inspired than ever. Can't wait to get home and start hobbying!

There are a TON more pictures on The Independent Characters Facebook page.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 21, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Your wife seems very supportive of your terrible hobby and it looks like you had a great time :)

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Boon posted:

Your wife seems very supportive of your terrible hobby and it looks like you had a great time :)

She's the best. She actually tried to get me to buy the Warlord Titan. Which had me re-thinking my "I'm going to pass on it." I secretly think she wants another dog...

We actually agreed that it's probably best that I hold off until I get my Chaos Reaver back from being assembled and I finish painting it. Otherwise it's going to just sit in a box for months.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

xtothez posted:

you could drill a hole in the base and mount a magnet flush with the surface with a dab of green stuff behind it.

What would make good space marine wound counters?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

skulls

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Purity seals.

Alternatively, random flying gothic poo poo like skulls, cherubs, whatever won't get mistaken for wargear.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DrPop posted:

Any of y'all ever tried using bits from GW's LOTR stuff for 40k minis? I stumbled upon the Easterling minis they have (completely forgot they did a LOTR line) last night and figured that some of their heads might make for non-generic CSM helms at the very least, if they scale properly.

LotR minis are a smaller scale than 40k so I doubt they'd look good on Space Marines (depends on the heads you're using, I guess).

a harpy posted:

Are Wyches any good? Anyone do anything with them? I keep reading they are about as bad as infantry can get but they're my favorite model in my favorite army. I don't really play, most of the models I own are just because I like them, but I finally seem to have found a scene nearby so I kinda want to start. I think I've posted in here before about this stuff but I was never able to do anything with it and I assume it's been out long enough for the main strategies to be pretty well known.

In 5th I read quite about about success with Wyches in various loadouts. People went for the classic assault rush with agonizers or loaded up on haywire grenades and went to town on armor, that was back when you could get 4+ Feel No Pain and before Overwatch casualties. Since then, I haven't heard of anyone using them, it's all Trueborn with blasters in Venoms and Kabalite in Raiders, which is a shame.

If you like the models, go for it. Play with people that like to roll dice and try new things rather than a list of 6 identical units backed up by armor.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Ghost Hand did you ask the Nottingham folks about the horror that is Age of Suck?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Even if he did, given that he's just named the GW people he was hanging out with, it probably wouldn't be very polite to start repeating it in public if they had anything negative to say.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Even if he did, given that he's just named the GW people he was hanging out with, it probably wouldn't be very polite to start repeating it in public if they had anything negative to say.

Yeah, dumb question on my part. I'm just really curious about the internal reaction to the reception and there are very few people out there that actually have real contact with GW insiders.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm glad to see at least some FW employees have pro-tier music taste.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm glad to see at least some FW employees have pro-tier music taste.

Yeah, it's probably bad that I got more excited for the Clutch t-shirt than I did for anything else there.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TKIY posted:

Yeah, dumb question on my part. I'm just really curious about the internal reaction to the reception and there are very few people out there that actually have real contact with GW insiders.

Most of my friends there primarily play 30k. Of course I talked to them about AoS. I tend to keep all my conversations with people there private though.

I am however starting a small undead force, my wife is starting a small dark elf force and my daughter just had some wood elves thrown her way. So we will give AoS a try and see if we enjoy it.

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, it's probably bad that I got more excited for the Clutch t-shirt than I did for anything else there.

I was particularly proud of some of the space Barbie battle pictures... But the tshirt is cool I guess.. ;)

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 21, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TKIY posted:

Yeah the fact that sharing that is bad for business and their coworkers, and especially bad for the individual is why there are few people that have real contact with insiders.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Ghost Hand posted:

I was particularly proud of some of the space Barbie battle pictures... But the tshirt is cool I guess.. ;)

Oh don't get me wrong, the mans action going on there is amazing - the fact that every army on the table is actually painted and manages to have at least one Spartan tank each in it is impressive enough, without even getting into that table. You just don't see a lot of people into Clutch once you get outside of Baltimore, let alone across the pond.

Also you have to keep in mind that I spent ten hours last weekend staring at BuffaloChicken's Nids and TheChirurgeon's Iron Warriors. I'm still getting back to a normal, less-hype level of Warhams. Fortunately my dipshit teammates barely even prime their poo poo, or I would have knocked the fuckin table over with my gigantic hamboner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, I'm considering getting myself some of those Forge World MKV Assault Marines to stand for Vanguard Vets. Thing is, the weapon loadouts I want for them (dual claws for one squad, hammer/axe&shield for the other) would rack me something silly like £200 just getting the close combat weapon kits for them - the set costs twenty pounds and comes with just one hammer and one pair of claws (and a whole host of other bits, which is cool but less than useful for me). I figured I could get some Anvil Industry shields and axes for the sword-and-board squad - I like the no-nonsense spartan-style round shields - but I'm having less success with locating some lightning claws.

Does anyone know of a good third-party seller who'd sell reasonably priced lightning claw analogues for both hands? Ideally I'd be looking for the old Heresy-era style claws with the fingers elongated into tearing claws, rather than the modern 'Wolverine claws' type lightning claw.

Edit: I'd also be fine with some type of paired blades - preferably something that'd stand apart from plain ole power swords. (I mean, I could use the shitlot of nemesis falchions I have in my bitz box, but I'd like something more exotic). I like the Scibor egyptian khopesh-style swords but those come at two euros apop and I'd need twenty.

Hell, I'm half tempted to just use all the chainswords that come with the FW kit and fluff those as lightning claws..

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 21, 2015

• Locked thread