Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That sounds about right. Shane Warne is the only really great Australian player I can think of who didn't play against men.

A kid wants to be touching first grade selection in Sydney A grade by his mid to late teens. Hazlewood and Clarke were playing for NSW by 17. Warner was playing first grade in Sydney grade cricket at 15, Smith by 16, etc.

Cricket is unusual that it's possible for children who are quite skilled to play against adults. It helps develop young cricketers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

BlindSite posted:

Also tell you about how they would've played for Australia if not for the politics/knee injury/just bullshit mate.

or that they used to play for australia until they were dropped for mitchell marsh

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
KP's bitching is hilarious from an Australian perspective.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I've got an update on Jayawardene's scores in the CPL.

0, 3, 10, 1, 0 and 3.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrqVPx-RXGk

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGH6x98lEjc

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

There's a school team in the comp. I'm playing in at the moment and I hit their opening batsman in the head. They're poo poo and don't even try to win, and their teacher/captain was a try-hard dick that would change the field 3 times an over and cheated when he was umpire, so gently caress 'em.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 21, 2015

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
better Lord's Test rankings
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/australia-england-player-ratings-lords-ashes-2015-jim-maxwell-dean-wilson/2015-07-21/

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst you are pushing the "kids need to play grade cricket rather than age-group/school cricket" barrow pretty hard there is a little truth in it.

If you are playing for your school, you have 1 coach, who probably fawns over you coz you are the talented one in your school. You learn no toughness, and not much competitive desire.

If you are playing for a club at that age, you have to make your way from the 3rds to the 2nds to the 1sts, at every level proving yourself better than fat bitter politicing arseholes who will do their best to hold you down. Also you come in to contact with more than one coach, and more than one coach who isn't fellating you coz you are the golden boy.

Take this a level higher and you have players like Hussey, and Rogers, who have worked their ways up in several leagues under severl coaches in several different conditions. You don't get to do this if you are playing on your own school oval versus kids who are clearly not as good as you, (which if you are a test/FC prospect you will be better than most people on the ground).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Those are some thick accents.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst you are pushing the "kids need to play grade cricket rather than age-group/school cricket" barrow pretty hard there is a little truth in it.

If you are playing for your school, you have 1 coach, who probably fawns over you coz you are the talented one in your school. You learn no toughness, and not much competitive desire.

If you are playing for a club at that age, you have to make your way from the 3rds to the 2nds to the 1sts, at every level proving yourself better than fat bitter politicing arseholes who will do their best to hold you down. Also you come in to contact with more than one coach, and more than one coach who isn't fellating you coz you are the golden boy.

Take this a level higher and you have players like Hussey, and Rogers, who have worked their ways up in several leagues under severl coaches in several different conditions. You don't get to do this if you are playing on your own school oval versus kids who are clearly not as good as you, (which if you are a test/FC prospect you will be better than most people on the ground).

I think the big problem with school cricket (esp in WA) is that most schools aren't big enough to have 11-12 guys who are all good at cricket in the same year level and then to have a phys-ed teacher who's got the skills and time to coach a school team.

For example all the Hussey's went to my high school in Perth, but they played at my local junior club as well as the local district team, so they had a number of skilled coaches helping them develop all the way along, and didn't have to worry about getting a decent hit with the school side.

Dave Hussey "coached" our school team for a while and just encouraged us to bowl the other team out as fast as possible so he could get home and watch sport wrap-up on the Channel 10 news.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 21, 2015

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
http://www.icc-cricket.com/world-t20-qualifier/videos/media/id/5572/remarkable-run-out-for-usa

Saw this runout on reddit. Its pretty funny.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's a school team in the comp. I'm playing in at the moment and I hit their opening batsman in the head. They're poo poo and don't even try to win, and their teacher/captain was a try-hard dick that would change the field 3 times an over and cheated when he was umpire, so gently caress 'em.

Please tell me you were bowling at the time

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They're poo poo and don't even try to win, and their teacher/captain was a try-hard dick that would change the field 3 times an over and cheated when he was umpire, so gently caress 'em.

Sounds like the ARE trying to win.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RIP Ian Bell Song

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Mustafizur Rahman, the Bangladesh player who took two 5-fors in his first two ODIs, just took three wickets in an over (in his test debut) to rip South Africa apart :getin:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Doctor Cave posted:

Mustafizur Rahman, the Bangladesh player who took two 5-fors in his first two ODIs, just took three wickets in an over (in his test debut) to rip South Africa apart :getin:

Amla, Duminy and De Kock :monocle: He's having a hell of a start to his international career.

cricinfo posted:

Mustafizur Rahman to Philander, no run, fullish and around off, poked out to gully. End of a triple-wicket maiden from Mustafizur
Mustafizur Rahman to Philander, no run, pitched up and on middle, blocked
Philander..
Mustafizur Rahman to de Kock, OUT, Make that three in four balls for Mustafizur. South Africa slide to 173 for 6. The off stump has been sent cartwheeling. Very full and keeps low. Perhaps, QdK was late onto the defensive push. Mustafizur razes the off stump. Mustafizur is mobbed by his team-mates
Q de Kock b Mustafizur Rahman 0 (2b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00
Mustafizur Rahman to de Kock, no run, Pretty full and on the stumps, kept out
Qdk to face the hat-trick ball. A slip, short cover and short midwicket in place.
Mustafizur is on a hat-trick on debut.
Mustafizur Rahman to Duminy, OUT, an appeal for lbw, not given by umpire Wilson. Mushfiqur wants a review. Mustafizur's footing is fine. Full and cuts back in to ping Duminy on the front pad after beating the inside edge. Hit below the knee-roll in front of middle. It would have crashed into middle and leg. Two wickets in two balls for Mustafizur. Duminy shaped for a flick and fell over
JP Duminy lbw b Mustafizur Rahman 0 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00
JP Duminy..
Ananda: "WoW. Mustafizur is going to remember his first wicket in test matches for a long long time. Hashim Amla gone!"
Mustafizur Rahman to Amla, OUT, Maiden Test wicket for Mustafizur, Amla now edges behind. This was full and slides away with the angle outside off. Amla pushes away from the body and do so with firm hands and Litton has his third dismissal. Big, big wicket for the hosts
HM Amla c †Liton Das b Mustafizur Rahman 13 (28b 1x4 0x6) SR: 46.42

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Smorgasbord posted:

Amla, Duminy and De Kock :monocle: He's having a hell of a start to his international career.

This guy owns.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
He's only 19 as well. Hope he doesn't burn out.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Women's Ashes start today, TMS/Abc Grandstand are covering it if anyone cares

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Smorgasbord posted:

:stare:

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

I am so loving ready for the rise of Bangladesh. Wonder how England would do over there

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Scylo posted:

Women's Ashes start today, TMS/Abc Grandstand are covering it if anyone cares

Just realised it's also streaming for free (as long as you log in) on the cricket Australia app

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The stream and the ball-by-ball commentary on cricket.com.au seem to be down, at least for me.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, it's not working on the website for some reason, only in the app, and the stream in the app is only low quality for me but that's probably just my bad wifi.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Classic. You can see where the inspiration for David Brent comes from. What a load of self righteous little twats though.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Watching the Women's Ashes game on Sky as the Men have contrived to rob me of 2 days of Cricket already.

Aus 53-3, Eng bowling quite well.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are they playing tests this time?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
3 odi's, 1 test, 3 t20's

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Scylo posted:

3 odi's, 1 test, 3 t20's

Are you being serious?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Mister Chief posted:

Are they playing tests this time?

It's a 50-over game today but there is one Test scheduled in August.

Format is three ODIs, one Test and three T20s.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Unfortunately they aren't streaming TMS over Youtube like they did for the men, so I can't find a way us Americans can listen.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

The outfield at Taunton looks well poo poo.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jesus loving christ he did well not to lose his cool too badly, those little shits were grilling him hardcore

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 21, 2015

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Dead Goon posted:

It's a 50-over game today but there is one Test scheduled in August.

Format is three ODIs, one Test and three T20s.

Geoff Lemon wrote a pretty good thing about how poo poo the schedule is.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/the-nightwatchman/2015/jun/18/womens-cricket-second-class-citizens-embarrassing

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yo but check this out. Women's cricket is poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dunbar posted:

Unfortunately they aren't streaming TMS over Youtube like they did for the men, so I can't find a way us Americans can listen.
There's the usual :filez: streaming. Just tuned in. Though this looks pretty rough:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I doubt Geoff Lemon would pay to watch a woman's test match instead of doing basically anything else he could think to do for 4 days so I don't appreciate a preachy article trying to make me feel bad for not wanting to do it either.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

How dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Women's cricket is better than men's because Shane Warne isn't commentating on it