Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished The Library at Mount Char and can heartily recommend it. It's brisk, charming and batshit insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Rather a good "dueling interview" between Max Gladstone and our own Seth Dickinson today:

http://www.tor.com/2015/07/20/haves-and-have-nots-in-epic-fantasy/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

bloodychill posted:

I just finished Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space and thoroughly enjoyed it, the characters of Dan and Ilya definite favorites, while the Fermi paradox stuff and detailed scenes still haunt me. I've wondering what I should read next since I'm definitely chomping at the bit for more stories in the universe. I've read the short story about Clavain leaving Mars and I know Redemption Ark follows his journey, so that's where I'm thinking of heading next but I have some questions. To note, I prefer reading stories in publish order, not in-universe chronology.

So, at some point will we revisit characters from Revelation Space? Is Chasm City a must-read or can I skip it and go through Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap? Are there any short stories from earlier that would really make these all the better? As I said, I've read Great Wall of Mars so I'm just curious if there are others that would make a good prologue to Clavain's story or even an epilogue to Revelation Space.

Huh. Revelation Space was mostly flat for me. Reynolds struggled to make most of the characters come to life. Even worse (to me anyway) was how bloated the story was. There was almost zero energy moving the story along, and I'd say that a lot of it was from his excessive prose. I feel like the book would've benefited greatly had it lost a 100-150 pages.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

holocaust bloopers posted:

Huh. Revelation Space was mostly flat for me. Reynolds struggled to make most of the characters come to life. Even worse (to me anyway) was how bloated the story was. There was almost zero energy moving the story along, and I'd say that a lot of it was from his excessive prose. I feel like the book would've benefited greatly had it lost a 100-150 pages.

I liked the excessive prose. It added to the cosmic horror, Lovecraft-in-space vibe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Antti posted:

I was contemplating dropping it after book one because the villain was so cartoonishly moustache-twirly despite not having a moustache but I'm plowing through book two and still enjoying it so whatever. Maybe there's a place in my life for panto villains.

I mean holy loving gently caress, (book one spoiler) you force your natural born daughter into menial servitude to build her character and this works out and your natural born daughter doesn't stick a knife in your guts in revenge? And then you pull the rug from under the girl who was raised as your daughter? A dramatically appropriate knife in the back is only way for that to shake out appropriately so maybe it'll happen in book two or three.

I dunno, a fair number of villains are treated as products of a profoundly hosed-up system. Basically, nobles are people and everyone else isn't, so, say, if your cousin's a serial killer, it's just a funny little peccadillo provided they restrict themselves to peasants. It's the Westminster paedophile ring (don't google that if you want to sleep at night) writ large. The second book in particular goes into this with the prison hostage situation sequence.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 20, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kesper North posted:

I liked the excessive prose. It added to the cosmic horror, Lovecraft-in-space vibe.

For me it killed whatever scant amount of energy Reynolds had in the plot, which was a shame. The bones of the story were interesting and the ideas (especially the Conjoiner ships) were extremely my poo poo. Most anything compelling came at such a plodding pace because of Reynold's tendency to deep dive on, what I felt, was excessive story beats. I think that one of Reynold's problems was that he kept asserting character traits through very on the nose dialogue.

I said it before that I'm looking forward to reading Chasm City and the other RS novels to see how Reynolds develops.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Speaking of Reynolds, when the musk dogs were first introduced in Pushing Ice, I was convinced the author was trolling me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Johnathan Strange was terrible, everyone lied to me

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

Condolences on having bad taste.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

withak posted:

Condolences on having bad taste.

He's right, though?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kesper North posted:

Rather a good "dueling interview" between Max Gladstone and our own Seth Dickinson today:

http://www.tor.com/2015/07/20/haves-and-have-nots-in-epic-fantasy/

Glad you liked it! It was a ton of fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kesper North posted:

This was exactly why I enjoyed it. It was slow-moving but there was this gnawing alien dread that grew throughout that I enjoyed and I felt like the three main characters were sort of a perfect fit for handling it.

Anyway, thanks for the recs. I'm going to go with Chasm City, Glacial, and then finish off the trilogy.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

corn in the bible posted:

I couldn't stand it either :D

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up Runner by Patrick Lee. He's the guy who did the Breach series that I liked. I thought with the description given, this would be less sci fi than the Breach series and more "airport fiction" style where the main guy is a one man army who has to blah blah blah brown people muslims WW3 blah blah THANK GOD FOR FREEDOMS, and I could not be more happy I was wrong.

This one is a new series with a new lead, and as far as I know it's not set in the same universe as the Breach series.

Pretty good though. He's good at keeping suspense up, and his main leads are the usual airport fictiony "Man who is good at a lot of things/ex military/etc" but he does keep em vulnerable. No one is walking around in this book like a superhero.

I'm about to start on the sequel book to it, Signal.

Well worth a read if you liked his other stuff.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Just read Aurora today after the reviews in the thread. It was a good book in terms of it's attention to detail and the wonderful character development of the AI; definitely a good book as I read it all in one sitting which I rarely do unless the book really grabs my attention. And yet I can't help but feel disappointed by the general story development and in particularly the ending. The books beginning and style where so good that maybe I set my expectations to high, and definitely the structure of the narrative made the ending the only logical end but it all just seemed so pessimistic. Spoiler regarding the ending: probably because I was far more invested in the Ship AI than Freya, the big strengths of the book where definitely seeing the development of the ships AI which was beautifully constructed through the increasingly complex and witty prose.. and then the drat thing just gets killed off and we're left with a past 10th of the book which just seems to drag on and brings closure to the part of the book I cared less about. I wanted closure on this development of the AI's self, and the long term meanings of the organic "evolution" of a strong AI. The ending wasn't bad, it just seemed to answer the wrong questions.

EDIT: This is the first book I've read by KSR, so I don't know how it rates in comparison to their other work.

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 21, 2015

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Gah, I'm 10% off the end of the book so I can't read your spoiler!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
KSR's specialties are rich character development and attention to detail but he is weaker on overall stories. It can spoil you because there are few sci-fi writers who can write people as well as he can.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
^^^his character work was the beating heart to Aurora. KSR has a knack for working character beats.

d3c0y2 posted:

Just read Aurora today after the reviews in the thread. It was a good book in terms of it's attention to detail and the wonderful character development of the AI; definitely a good book as I read it all in one sitting which I rarely do unless the book really grabs my attention. And yet I can't help but feel disappointed by the general story development and in particularly the ending. The books beginning and style where so good that maybe I set my expectations to high, and definitely the structure of the narrative made the ending the only logical end but it all just seemed so pessimistic. Spoiler regarding the ending: probably because I was far more invested in the Ship AI than Freya, the big strengths of the book where definitely seeing the development of the ships AI which was beautifully constructed through the increasingly complex and witty prose.. and then the drat thing just gets killed off and we're left with a past 10th of the book which just seems to drag on and brings closure to the part of the book I cared less about. I wanted closure on this development of the AI's self, and the long term meanings of the organic "evolution" of a strong AI. The ending wasn't bad, it just seemed to answer the wrong questions.

EDIT: This is the first book I've read by KSR, so I don't know how it rates in comparison to their other work.

Yea, I wished to have one final scene with Joche or whatever and Ship. Regardless, that was still an excellent bit of self-sacrifice on Ship's behalf.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

^^^his character work was the beating heart to Aurora. KSR has a knack for working character beats.

Yea, I wished to have one final scene with Joche or whatever and Ship. Regardless, that was still an excellent bit of self-sacrifice on Ship's behalf.

Re: Aurora I think it's easily arguable that the Ship AI *was* the main character. Certainly the one I was the most invested in! Freya's final scenes on Earth just kinda let me down easily and slowly after Ship sacrificed itself.

"and yet" HOLY gently caress IF IT HAD ENDED THERE

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

thetechnoloser posted:

Re: Aurora I think it's easily arguable that the Ship AI *was* the main character. Certainly the one I was the most invested in! Freya's final scenes on Earth just kinda let me down easily and slowly after Ship sacrificed itself.

"and yet" HOLY gently caress IF IT HAD ENDED THERE

It was bittersweet, but yes. Ship was with us the most, as we're hearing the story through Ship itself. The latter parts of the novel where Ship is feeding us info regarding their slow down maneuvers felt a lot like intentional foreshadowing on Ship's part. The AI seemed to be acutely aware that its luck was going to run out (a metaphor heh).

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

It was bittersweet, but yes. Ship was with us the most, as we're hearing the story through Ship itself. The latter parts of the novel where Ship is feeding us info regarding their slow down maneuvers felt a lot like intentional foreshadowing on Ship's part. The AI seemed to be acutely aware that its luck was going to run out (a metaphor heh).

Im glad other people have the same issues I have. The other issue I had was that the prose was distinctly written which obviously was the perspective of a non-human entity and it worked wonderfully. And yet after the ship dies the last chapter is still written in the same present-tense unusual style as the preceding chapters which left me thinking "Well the AI's got to survive because it's still being written in the usual character style of the AI" and then...nope. I fell for the trap of these novels that the protagonist must survive or at least somehow get his written record passed on before he goes. I imagine the ships narrative was included on the data banks on the lander, but the final chapter really felt off to me because of the continuation of the unusual writing style after the ship was clearly dead.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

d3c0y2 posted:

Im glad other people have the same issues I have. The other issue I had was that the prose was distinctly written which obviously was the perspective of a non-human entity and it worked wonderfully. And yet after the ship dies the last chapter is still written in the same present-tense unusual style as the preceding chapters which left me thinking "Well the AI's got to survive because it's still being written in the usual character style of the AI" and then...nope. I fell for the trap of these novels that the protagonist must survive or at least somehow get his written record passed on before he goes. I imagine the ships narrative was included on the data banks on the lander, but the final chapter really felt off to me because of the continuation of the unusual writing style after the ship was clearly dead.

there was a quick sentence thrown out where it was noted that the a copy of Ship was included with the ferry. Although it's quickly corrected to be Ship's recounting of the events.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm thinking of giving Malazan another shot but the Greatcoats stuff sound pretty interesting. Any suggestions on which to go with first?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm thinking of giving Malazan another shot but the Greatcoats stuff sound pretty interesting. Any suggestions on which to go with first?

As between those two options? Go with The Greatcoats. You could read the two currently available books, and have a good time doing so, and if you had instead started with Malazan, in that time you'd still be trying to figure out what was going on with ascendancy, Tiste whoever, and the various invasions of the Malazan empire. And I say this as someone who liked the first 8 Malazan books. Go with The Traitor's Blade first.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

As between those two options? Go with The Greatcoats. You could read the two currently available books, and have a good time doing so, and if you had instead started with Malazan, in that time you'd still be trying to figure out what was going on with ascendancy, Tiste whoever, and the various invasions of the Malazan empire. And I say this as someone who liked the first 8 Malazan books. Go with The Traitor's Blade first.

Plus, by the time he finishes all the malazan books, the new Greatcoats will be out, I'm sure. :laugh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

They're totally different beasts. The Greatcoats series is fairly straightforward dark fantasy, while Malazan is a vast, sprawling beast of a story in which you're invited to carefully puzzle out the history, politics, and so on of an entire world (or two). They're very different sorts of fun to read, and it depends what you're in the mood for.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone know what's happening with Stiletto, the sequel to The Rook? I could have sworn it was out this week in the UK (it was definitely July) but it now gives a release of July 2nd 2020 (!), and the only pther dates I can find are January 2016, although that seems to be for the US.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Aurora is a challenging book. KSR more than any Science Fiction writer knows how to punch you in the gut and deflate your fantasies. I wish now I read this before The Martian. I will be depressed until Dark Forest comes out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gohmak posted:

Aurora is a challenging book. KSR more than any Science Fiction writer knows how to punch you in the gut and deflate your fantasies. I wish now I read this before The Martian. I will be depressed until Dark Forest comes out.

Or do what I do and start Year Of The Flood immediately after Aurora.

Aurora is a lot like The Martian except a billion times better in every way because KSR can actually write. The Martian was absolutely vile. I couldn't make it past the halfway point. What a miserable book.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Or do what I do and start Year Of The Flood immediately after Aurora.

Aurora is a lot like The Martian except a billion times better in every way because KSR can actually write. The Martian was absolutely vile. I couldn't make it past the halfway point. What a miserable book.

The Martian was a fun book. MacGyver meets Castaway meets Apollo 13.

Dark Forest doesn't come out until August 11. I need another book or two in the interim. Anything good from Vernor Vinge beside Zones of Thought and the Peace War?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 21, 2015

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Why is it no one can simply dislike a book anymore? No, now we have to describe books we don't like as "absolutely vile," a phrase previously reserved for racist screeds and the like.

That is so hyperbolic that it ceases to be meaningful in any way regarding the book, though it is useful in identifying morons that don't understand how to properly use language.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Because I actually think The Martian was absolutely vile? I hated it. But hey good job language police.

gohmak posted:

The Martian was a fun book. MacGyver meets Castaway meets Apollo 13.

The overall plot was fine. It was the execution of literally everything that was awful. Andy Weir is one of the worst writers I've ever read.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Because I actually think The Martian was absolutely vile? I hated it. But hey good job language police.

The overall plot was fine. It was the execution of literally everything that was awful. Andy Weir is one of the worst writers I've ever read.
I don't say this often, but it sounds like you need to read some Kratman. Solo-author Kratman at that. A Desert Called Peace, perhaps?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Then you haven't read many books. The Martian might be shallow writing, but it isn't awful writing.

Seriously, I've seen some dire writing, and Andy Weir isn't even close to below average, nevermind the bottom. And the sad part is that a good chunk of these awful, incompetent authors have had books on the NYT Bestsellers List. At least Weir has a command of basic grammar.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

I found Watney to be charming and optimistic. I can't wait for Matt Damon to science the poo poo out of the role.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mars4523 posted:

Then you haven't read many books. The Martian might be shallow writing, but it isn't awful writing.

Seriously, I've seen some dire writing, and Andy Weir isn't even close to below average, nevermind the bottom. And the sad part is that a good chunk of these awful, incompetent authors have had books on the NYT Bestsellers List. At least Weir has a command of basic grammar.

You're right. I haven't read many books. It's only been in the past year that I've been reading about two a month. I try to be very selective on what I devote my reading time too. So far it's been a lot of Arthur C Clarke, some PKD, and then whatever has been very popular in this thread like Reynolds, Scott Lynch, and Robin Hobb.

gohmak posted:

I found Watney to be charming and optimistic. I can't wait for Matt Damon to science the poo poo out of the role.

I hope the movie can take the basic premise and deliver on it because it does hold a lot of promise.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

chrisoya posted:

I don't say this often, but it sounds like you need to read some Kratman. Solo-author Kratman at that. A Desert Called Peace, perhaps?
A Hugo nominee being vile? Utter nonsense, as John Wright and Vox Day attest!

sorryithoughtitfunny

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Slow Bullets, that is some vile writing. AR is my favorite scifi writer and I enjoyed Poseidons wake but Slow Bullets was painful to get through.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Lowly posted:

You could try House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. It has that same sort of weird mystery exploration vibe except it's about strange doors and a hallway that appear in a family's house instead of an outdoor area. It has a weird gimmick in that there's all kinds of typography tricks where there are different layouts and fonts and stuff. If you image search the title you can see some page examples. Anyway, I found the story compelling enough in this book that the typography didn't hold me back too much, but I tried reading another one of his books and I couldn't stomach it.

Ah, thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately I've already read that one. Anyway, I'm going to re-read a couple of old books that I might have missed things in--The Books of the New Sun, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I hope the movie can take the basic premise and deliver on it because it does hold a lot of promise.

I finished The Martian last week and I agree, I think a competent screenwriter can fill out the holes in the story and turn it into a good one. (I didn't have your quite visceral reaction to it, but it definitely has deficiencies. I think of it in the same category as Tom Clancy before he went off the deep end after 9/11.) E.g. I saw the trailer for the first time after reading the book - I held off on it until then since trailers love to tell you so much these days - and I'm already optimistic about the movie because apparently Watney has a wife and a kid in it, which is an instant shortcut to rounding out his character and giving him a motivation for soldiering on alone for two years.