Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'm blind, what did you fix?

Btw Froome just said he's put on weight during the Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Sure.

goatface posted:

Good corner. Hit the wrong Sky man though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

He's right

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Call me old fashioned but I prefer when riders attack the GC leader when they are suffering a mechanical or difficulty.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I am glad to see you are taking everything said in this thread in the 100% serious tone that it is intended.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im pretty sure a motorbike wouldn't have got down that descent quicker than Sagan. :stare:

I hope he had one of the cameras on his bike.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHgeNu5Gq-c

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He does 5 to 4 through some serious corners in about 50 seconds. Pretty good.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

I thought it meant a camera on his actual bike and was all "loving hell he has time to zoom in while descending.... Oh."

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Nice video

This is still my favorite Sagan moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtpQ_7Bj_YM

Insane descending, starts at 2:45

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sagan is insane.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

African AIDS cum posted:

Insane descending, starts at 2:45
More insane descending, not Sagan though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_wEG2RNMJc

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh oops misread. Still pretty sick.

Here is a lovely, blurry old video of Cadel Evans dive bombing a motobike in a corner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISN7pgfCtY

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 21, 2015

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
Gotta have a concussion after that header/neck whip into the pole for Thomas right? Scary crash, glad dude is ok.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
sagan might go down hill fast but hes still a fuckhead who gets sack ridden way to hard and still cant win anything (races in america dont count). oh, well, unless you count green jerseys since they decided it was boring and changed the point setup so all sagan has to do is get over some hills occasionally and hoover up 25 points at a pop and stroll in to paris with a 100 point lead.

Froome/sagan yellow/green combos is about what cycling deserves atm.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Box Hill Strangler posted:

sagan might go down hill fast but hes still a fuckhead who gets sack ridden way to hard and still cant win anything (races in america dont count). oh, well, unless you count green jerseys since they decided it was boring and changed the point setup so all sagan has to do is get over some hills occasionally and hoover up 25 points at a pop and stroll in to paris with a 100 point lead.

Uh he won the tour of california this year man it was pretty impressive

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007

Ehhh I enjoyed the hell out of his Tour of California performance. Absolutely entertaining, exciting race down to the end, not sure what else you're hoping for out of a cycling event. Unless you just have an irrational hatred for Sagan, in which case I could see you hating this year's Tour of California.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Actually Sagan is the best :eng101:

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Anyone got a gif/video of Thomas' crash?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-07-20/team-skys-thomas-crashes-into-telegraph-pole-at-tour-de-france/

e: and his interview after

http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/video-geraint-thomas-jokes-hes-chris-froome-after-stage-16-crash-into-telegraph-pole

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

His wife to be managed to find his glasses!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Awesome, I was expecting them to appear on ebay

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

So sky has release a very limited dataset on froome which encompasses his average cadence, average power and his heart rate average and max (158 and 170). It's done exactly what everyone thought it would which is make the situation worse as they've released a very limited dataset despite claiming to be the most transparent team (you can get pinots full power, V02, weight etc) and to add more fuel to the rie L'equipe have immediately revealed sky have arbitrarily subtracted 6% off his power numbers.

If thats the case then instead of 389 watts and 5.76 watts/kg he's actually putting out 414 watts and thats 6.14w/kg

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's not exactly a stunning reveal - Sky openly said they had deducted that % in the press conference.

The Stages website says they think an osymetric ring will lead to a 4-5% overstatement of power, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that it could be slightly higher for pro riders:
http://support.stagescycling.com/support/solutions/articles/1000158537-can-i-use-the-stages-power-meter-with-oval-or-osymetric-chain-rings-

That said, if they were going to be open they should have revealed everything, what they've done just looks more dodgy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah the 6% isn't arbitrary, it's a well known thing about the Osymetric rings.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I like how they think they'll dig their way out of their grave.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

The numbers are dirty, it's raw data or gtfo. Couldn''t someone who cares enough take the climb time and W/KG of those releasing their entire data on Strava and use it to validate what Sky are claiming.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

The numbers are dirty, it's raw data or gtfo. Couldn''t someone who cares enough take the climb time and W/KG of those releasing their entire data on Strava and use it to validate what Sky are claiming.

Kwiatkowski averaged like 430w on one of the mountains when he was in a breakaway a few days ago.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Different power meters from the same brand are going to report different readings so good luck comparing Stages with SRM, Garmin, etc... No one is going to be happy about any sort of release, yet somehow Sky make their data release sketchy and opaque.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

sagan is merely a 25 year old fuckhead who is probably faster than your favorite rider

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I want to watch Sagan ride a wheelie up the Alp d'Huez

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
^this but also across the finish line in first place.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pimp Cauldron posted:

sagan is merely a 25 year old fuckhead who is probably faster than your favorite rider

I don't know why people bother supporting Sagan, Kwiatkowski is the real 25yr old hero.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pocket posted:

I don't know why people bother supporting Sagan, Kwiatkowski is the real 25yr old hero.

Though I just saw this: spotted new fsa drivetrain on kwiatkowskis bike

Not sure he's going to win a thing now.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Don't know if this got posted already or not since it's a week old now, but some amazing photography and summary from week 1.

http://stories.strava.com/triumph-turmoil

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pocket posted:

Though I just saw this: spotted new fsa drivetrain on kwiatkowskis bike

Not sure he's going to win a thing now.

Most stitches when it breaks on him during a sprint.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pocket posted:

Kwiatko is twice as far back in GC compared to Sagan :wth:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tinkov has had a lovely swipe at ASO and Prudhomme

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-tinkov-wants-to-start-a-cycling-revolution/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So sky has release a very limited dataset on froome which encompasses his average cadence, average power and his heart rate average and max (158 and 170). It's done exactly what everyone thought it would which is make the situation worse as they've released a very limited dataset despite claiming to be the most transparent team (you can get pinots full power, V02, weight etc) and to add more fuel to the rie L'equipe have immediately revealed sky have arbitrarily subtracted 6% off his power numbers.

There's about 12 riders who regularly put all their data on Strava to browse through and I already know some riders who were slower have done the "same" numbers Sky are claiming from Froome. The Q-Rings things is true, but Stages also tends to read low compared to more accurate power meters like SRM. Sky's standing on openness / numbers are just simply bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Kwiatko is twice as far back in GC compared to Sagan :wth:

He's going to Sky so I need a new favourite rider that can win things because the Yates brothers are leaving me hanging, they are still the chillest dudes about it seems.