Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

More importantly, sugar (or salt) will draw the juices out of whatever you're muddling by osmosis. How effective this is depends on what you're muddling, but nearly anything that has some form of water inside it should show substantial effects. For a compelling demonstration, try placing an apple slice on a bed of sugar.

I think smaller grains will actually have the strongest osmotic effect.

NaCl + H2O -------------> Na+( ion) + Cl- ( ion) + H2O

Unless something profound has happened and Na+ and Cl- have formed quark-legs and motor to and fro, I'm not sure I can see where you're coming from from a diffusion standpoint, which is what I think you meant by osmosis (since we're not talking about spontaneous movement from a high solute concentration to a low solute concentration).

Osmosis would infer the movement of Na- ions into the object, which I don't think we want to do here. Water is the solvent.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

FireWhizzle posted:

NaCl + H2O -------------> Na+( ion) + Cl- ( ion) + H2O

Unless something profound has happened and Na+ and Cl- have formed quark-legs and motor to and fro, I'm not sure I can see where you're coming from from a diffusion standpoint, which is what I think you meant by osmosis (since we're not talking about spontaneous movement from a high solute concentration to a low solute concentration).

Osmosis would infer the movement of Na- ions into the object, which I don't think we want to do here. Water is the solvent.

You absolutely are talking "spontaneous movement from a high solute concentration to a low solute concentration." There is an incredibly high concentration of solute where the salt is starting to get dissolved by released water, and much lower concentration in the interior of the muddled material. You are going to have some movement of ions into the object, but you will also have a dramatic movement of water out of the object (and also whatever was dissolved in the water will now want to come out also).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Nice science, NERDS, but the practical result is the same, thanks for playing. :engleft:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

bloody ghost titty posted:

Nice science, NERDS, but the practical result is the same, thanks for playing. :engleft:
Someone was uncertain whether muddling with sugar had any effect, and what type of sugar would maximize it. Now they know.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

re: the syrup vs. ground sugar thing; I've found that Old Fashsioneds are great with turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw) first ground into superfine sugar with a coffee grinder, then muddled with the bitters before building the drink in the glass. Yes, you don't get uniform distribution of sugar/spirit, but what you do get is a drink that evolves in sweetness and rye content over time. Just watching the solid sugar at the bottom of the glass coalescence and swirl around the drink in a misty haze is a huge part of the experience for some people, so I wouldn't write it off completely.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I really don't think there's any drink that benefits from using granulated sugar. People say they like Old Fashioneds that way, but the Old Fashioned has overtaken the Martini as the drink people use to show off how much they know about cocktail drinking when they actually don't get it at all. "Not too much dilution, and use a sugar cube so it's authentic" is the new "Say 'vermouth' into the glass and that's enough." The resulting cocktails are not, in fact, very good, but people will pretend to enjoy them that way, because that's how they think people take their cocktails.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would say we can blame Mad Men for Old Fashioneds becoming goonified, but Don Draper doesn't actually know how to make a very good Old Fashioned.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kenning posted:

I really don't think there's any drink that benefits from using granulated sugar. People say they like Old Fashioneds that way, but the Old Fashioned has overtaken the Martini as the drink people use to show off how much they know about cocktail drinking when they actually don't get it at all. "Not too much dilution, and use a sugar cube so it's authentic" is the new "Say 'vermouth' into the glass and that's enough." The resulting cocktails are not, in fact, very good, but people will pretend to enjoy them that way, because that's how they think people take their cocktails.

Are you saying straight gin is not worth drinking? :smith:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The irony is at most places if you order a martini with a rim of vermouth you actually get straight vodka.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh. Well. Right.

My delicious bottle of Ethereal gin at home is perfectly good straight.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress the people that made it necessary to specify gin in my gimlets.

I'll drink straight gin, but I wouldn't call it a martini. I should pick up a bottle of Angostura bitters and try pink gin. Bitters has a liquor-like shelf life, right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Calling any kind of liquor + water a cocktail is just bizarre to me. You wouldn't call an apple a salad because you cut it into slices.

Edit: VVV Well, it's a highball.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 21, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does a scotch and soda qualify due to co2?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Actually, it does taste good if you make it right.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Actually, you do get a better syrup if you leave fruit macerating in sugar before making a syrup. Why do you like think kenning advises leaving citrus peels in sugar before making a punch?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

To draw out as much lemon oil from the zest as possible?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Guuuuurl I got three white coats kicking me their poaching liquid and remaindered fruit to make shrub, don't talk osmotic extraction to me unless you ready to get nasty.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Cross posting from the Ask me about bartending thread in A/T:

quote:

I have a question, if you don't mind. I'm going on a week-long vacation in a couple weeks and I was put in charge of buying the necessary ingredients for mojitos. Apparently most people in our group prefer them with spiced rum. So which spiced rum would you say is better for this? Obviously not something super expensive, it'd be a shame to waste exceptional rum.

Since I'm not in the states my options are probably a bit limited compared to you guys. Specifically, they are:

Captain Morgan Black
Havana Club Anejo
Bacardi Black
Pampero Anejo
Brugal Anejo
Angostura 5yo
Appleton Estate V/X
Sailor Jerry
Mount Gay Eclipse

What do you say bargoons? Which one should I get?

Also, any tips or recipes on making mojitos would be greatly appreciated. Reading [the A/T] thread I learned that I shouldn't put the mint in a shaker, or tear it into the drink but rather give it a good slap between my palms to bring out the oils. Anything else I should keep in mind? What's your usual mojito recipe?

And since you're all on the subject of sugar vs syrup can I just say that I HATE eating sugar with my drinks (same with salt like on a margarita rim) and I'd love some extra tips on making a syrup that would go well in a mojito!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I like my margaritas in a cocktail glass with no salt. Is that weird?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes.

On that note, today is national tequila day, and i am wanting to trying something new. Thoughts?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Pooper Trooper posted:

And since you're all on the subject of sugar vs syrup can I just say that I HATE eating sugar with my drinks (same with salt like on a margarita rim) and I'd love some extra tips on making a syrup that would go well in a mojito!

I've heard some people having success with a mint syrup, but I can't recall exactly how it's made. I think it's in Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Bar Book.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've made a sort of strong mint tea, strained out the leaves, and dissolved sugar into it while still hot, then cooling it. It tastes.... okay.

E: I'm pretty sure Sailor Jerry is universally well-regarded. I would stay the hell away from Bacardi Black and Capn Morgan Black. I like Appleton, Mt Gay, and Brugal, but you really can't go wrong with Sailor Jerry, I feel.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 25, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Bacardi Oakheart is good, though. Although I'm not really a spiced rum guy.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Oakheart is awesome as a shot too. Bacardi booth at the local bar show was serving them with orange slices sprinkled with cinnamon. Fantastic combination.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

That's how I take them.

Pooper Trooper posted:

Literally all spiced rum is garbage. If you just drop a cinnamon stick, 12 cloves, and 6 cracked allspice berries into a bottle of Flor de Caña extra seco you'll do amazing after like 2 days (if that's what people want). Just use regular syrup.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, the only spiced rum I had that I thought was really good was homemade. And it's not that hard to do.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Kenning posted:

That's how I take them.

Literally all spiced rum is garbage. If you just drop a cinnamon stick, 12 cloves, and 6 cracked allspice berries into a bottle of Flor de Caña extra seco you'll do amazing after like 2 days (if that's what people want). Just use regular syrup.

That's a pretty good idea actually, I'll probably do that!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Maybe switch the clove and allspice ratios actually – I was pretty deep into a bowl of Admiral Russell's when I wrote that recommendation.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Just caught up on the last 15 pages of this thread....

Please stop using anything other than very cool water to make syrups, Jesus Christ.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sugar dissolves much better in hot water, what am I missing?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
When you hydrolyze sucrose molecules in the presence of heat or acid, you create an invert sugar syrup ie fructose and glucose. The sucrose cannot reform after having its molecular bonds broken by hot water, so your final product tastes sweeter, is thinner in texture and had a shorter shelf life,

Just stir until you saturate or agitate to achieve a super saturated sucrose solution.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Hot water cooks things, and it's not strictly necessary for most syrups. (Maybe all, even rich simple isn't supersaturated AFAIK.)

I don't know how much of an issue it is with simple or rich simple. (E: Apparently it's an issue.) I do them at room temp just because I find it less fussy. It's definitely important for many flavored syrups. Ginger, in particular, benefits from cold process. Others don't really extract without some heat though. I'd say it's very situational.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

My only options for buying absinthe are Vieux Carre, Absente, Pernod, and Mephisto; what's most worth buying?

For that matter, howzabout ouzo and sambuca?

I can't find the Vieux Pontarlier that people seem to be excited about, but I can get my hands on Versinthe. Esquire seems to think it's a decent drop. Anybody have any experience with it?

e: Actually, that is a lie. I can get Vieux Pontarlier but it's priced at $155, which is a little on the steep side.

Also, can I use Pernod for a Sazerac instead?

Bubz fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 28, 2015

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
Since the absinthe in a sazerac is just for washing the glass and not a huge component of the drink, I don't think it'd make that big a difference.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Failed Nihilist posted:

Since the absinthe in a sazerac is just for washing the glass and not a huge component of the drink, I don't think it'd make that big a difference.

Yeah, you're really just looking to add a bit of that anise taste. I've used sub $80 absinthe in sazeracs in the past and I haven't really noticed much of a difference. Since i'm using an atomizer to spray the glass, which is probably something like 1/16 of an ounce, the flavor (sans... hint of anise) is negligible imho.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
what brand of bubbly water is goon approved for making Italian sodas and cocktails that may call for bubbles?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Herr Tog posted:

what brand of bubbly water is goon approved for making Italian sodas and cocktails that may call for bubbles?
The kind you make your self effectively for free.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

The kind you make your self effectively for free.

please tell me more

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Herr Tog posted:

please tell me more

he's referring to a soda siphon + CO2 cartridge. Depending on the cocktail though, you'll probably want to go with carbonated mineral water. I use Pierrier.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Herr Tog posted:

please tell me more
I made an effortpost a while ago. It does not involve soda siphons or cartridges.

There's literally no reason to use mineral water. You can even get the same additives yourself if you really want those so-subtle-they're-irrelevant trace tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is a very baroque definition of "for free."