Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Looks like graham cracker this time?

And by graham cracker, I mean plasticard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is it a poptart?

actually though my guess is mdf or maybe a heavy stock cardboard.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Cinnamon and cat litter

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
all wrong

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Not sure what's on it, but the base itself looks like either the back of a picture frame or a ceramic tile.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
nope! teehee

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Plastic "for sale" signs

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Foamcore?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Nope, and nope!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
A broken flatscreen.
A moldy pizza box.
Something from a garbage can.
A lid to a plastic container.
An uninteresting guessing game.
A stolen restaurant serving tray.
My rear end.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

its brownie isnt it

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

A broken flatscreen.
A moldy pizza box.
Something from a garbage can.
A lid to a plastic container.
An uninteresting guessing game.
A stolen restaurant serving tray.
My rear end.

Fine don't play!

It's vinyl flooring roll left over from when we had the kitchen redone recently!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

Fine don't play!

It's vinyl flooring roll left over from when we had the kitchen redone recently!

Can I see a pic of the other side?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
No i'm doing another layer of sand/gravel and the PVA is drying, the other side is the other two pictures I posted

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

No i'm doing another layer of sand/gravel and the PVA is drying, the other side is the other two pictures I posted

I'm wondering what the weird "barn door bracing" is under the gravel.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Almost there

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm wondering what the weird "barn door bracing" is under the gravel.

cut up balsa wood; an attempt to prevent the base warping when PVA is applied

seems to be working so far

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Skarsnik posted:

Almost there

holy poo poo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Almost there

that red leather is deliciously red

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Moola posted:

that red leather is deliciously red

cheers chef!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Do you guys recommend army painter strong tone for dipping grungy dudes like Vikings and medieval levy type troops?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Unzip and Attack posted:

lol even the rocks look like ground up walnuts.

It's a damned sight better than old toenails and bits of raccoon.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fearless posted:

It's a damned sight better than old toenails and bits of raccoon.

You mean like in a Crunch Bar, or what are we talking about here?

God drat it, it looks like what it's supposed to now. Let's just all base our stuff in a naturalistic way! Fine! More profits for Big Flock.

But someday, you'll go outside, and there'll be no moss, lichen, or sawdust, and you'll be like 'but what happened to our mother', and it'll be too late.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I mean

this is literally just sand and poo poo on a base randomly

I still need to prime it, paint it etc etc etc

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You mean like in a Crunch Bar, or what are we talking about here?

Somebody who may or may not have been Moola made a 'cool' bit of terrain, this in-scale giant jagged bone wall, out of a literal raccoon spine.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I am not actually Hollismason guys

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well. The raccoon is probably done using it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Almost there

Awww yisssss.

I'm going to have to up my game.

Although that sword looks familiar.....

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Although that sword looks familiar.....

:respek:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Cat litter + mortar & pestle for all your basing needs.

One substance, multiple consistencies. Never buy model railway mats again.

This brand has the added benefit of smelling like aloe vera.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Playing around with a pile of Scale 75 paints I picked up, here's a pretty rough WIP on Thyron from warmachine.

So far, I'm really happy with the way his pants are looking, though I need to push those highlights up a little and drop the shadows a touch, plus a little cleanup. The silver needs a lot more blending, but is off to an okay start, ditto for the blue cloth. I think the grey areas (lower legs, arms, chest, sword wrap) will end up being black or tinted warmer with a violet/burgundy-type color, not sure yet. Not sure about the black-lining in the details at the moment, that's mostly there as a placeholder in case I want to do some sort of glow effect, though I kind of like the high contrast black and silver thing I've got going. It'd be cleaner, but I only had a #2 brush around, so that's what got used. Need to go back with something smaller and really work the details, among other things. The sword is a total sketch job at the moment, and needs serious blending attention. My weapon work is terrible and I need to push myself to improve here.

The base is going to end up being a red rock mesa of some sort, I'm pretty sure. That'll be a nice bit of contrast with the rest of what I've got going on there, as well as with what will eventually be a pretty verdegrised up piece of clockwork wreckage and some green scrub jammed in cracks.

In terms of paint reviews, I'd say that the Scale 75 metallics are quite nice, but need the absolute gently caress shaken out of them, which can get quite tiring. The basic colors are similarly thick, but slightly less prone to separating, and (as shown here) dry very, very matte, which makes them pretty difficult to blend with when you mainly use a slightly sloppy layer-based approach like I was doing here (since I was stuck using just one brush). Assuming you're prepared for that, the range has a nice selection of colors, and the separate metal and ink sets are both solid value and a good entrance to the line, since they don't duplicate anything in the main range. As an aside, the full set of non-metallic/ink colors comes with a pretty snazzy aluminum tray to store everything in, complete with appropriately colored stickers for your compulsive sorting needs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying any entire paint range, but as far as extras go, I like that one a lot more than the typical vallejo plastic box that breaks in a few months of heavy use.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

stabbington posted:

Playing around with a pile of Scale 75 paints I picked up, here's a pretty rough WIP on Thyron from warmachine.

So far, I'm really happy with the way his pants are looking, though I need to push those highlights up a little and drop the shadows a touch, plus a little cleanup. The silver needs a lot more blending, but is off to an okay start, ditto for the blue cloth. I think the grey areas (lower legs, arms, chest, sword wrap) will end up being black or tinted warmer with a violet/burgundy-type color, not sure yet. Not sure about the black-lining in the details at the moment, that's mostly there as a placeholder in case I want to do some sort of glow effect, though I kind of like the high contrast black and silver thing I've got going. It'd be cleaner, but I only had a #2 brush around, so that's what got used. Need to go back with something smaller and really work the details, among other things. The sword is a total sketch job at the moment, and needs serious blending attention. My weapon work is terrible and I need to push myself to improve here.

The base is going to end up being a red rock mesa of some sort, I'm pretty sure. That'll be a nice bit of contrast with the rest of what I've got going on there, as well as with what will eventually be a pretty verdegrised up piece of clockwork wreckage and some green scrub jammed in cracks.

In terms of paint reviews, I'd say that the Scale 75 metallics are quite nice, but need the absolute gently caress shaken out of them, which can get quite tiring. The basic colors are similarly thick, but slightly less prone to separating, and (as shown here) dry very, very matte, which makes them pretty difficult to blend with when you mainly use a slightly sloppy layer-based approach like I was doing here (since I was stuck using just one brush). Assuming you're prepared for that, the range has a nice selection of colors, and the separate metal and ink sets are both solid value and a good entrance to the line, since they don't duplicate anything in the main range. As an aside, the full set of non-metallic/ink colors comes with a pretty snazzy aluminum tray to store everything in, complete with appropriately colored stickers for your compulsive sorting needs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying any entire paint range, but as far as extras go, I like that one a lot more than the typical vallejo plastic box that breaks in a few months of heavy use.

Along with "great work so far", I'd also like to salute you for your good taste in M&M candy types. :hfive:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Moola posted:

I mean

this is literally just sand and poo poo on a base randomly

Literally?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What, he's trying to one-up both hollismason and the Nurgle dude with stinky moldy rice.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Moola posted:

I am not actually Hollismason guys

I keep mixing you two up, not my fault you both love loud shitposting!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Cat litter + mortar & pestle for all your basing needs.

One substance, multiple consistencies. Never buy model railway mats again.

This brand has the added benefit of smelling like aloe vera.

Right, but you're using the non-clay variety?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

I keep mixing you two up, not my fault you both love loud shitposting!

Woah hold on there. Moolah is a national treasure!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Vaporware posted:

I would assume it is the clay variety. Other types won't break up nicely and are likely organic in some way.

I've used clay kitty litter as a Devlan Mud before it was a thing. Pain to paint because you wet it to get the cracks, then the wetting brought out oils or something. Just soaked up the paint.

But for balast clay litter is pretty great... unfortunalely my wife is picky about what our cats poop in so now I use a few varieties of sand.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 22, 2015

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Vaporware posted:

I think it is clay. I'll have to check.

Mix this stuff with PVA though and you've got soil paint that is easily primed. It even has the added benefit of changing colour when it's dry!

In this case the stuff is bright pink when wet, pastel pink when dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

w00tmonger posted:

Woah hold on there. Moolah is a national treasure!

Yeah. Seriously. Save that poo poo for every other thread on the forum.