Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Here's a funny thing: I can't log out of my Marvel.com account using Firefox on the desktop. That's certainly weird...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Volume one of a bunch of Boom! collections are on sale. Lumberjanes. Adventure Time. Bee and Puppycat.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What are the opinions on the Boom! Cthulhu comics that are on sale?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Cthulhu Tales is good; Fall not so much.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ms. Marvel is on sale today and everyone should buy it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

While my opinion of Elektra is nowhere near my fervor for Ms. Marvel, it's also on sale at a buck an issue and pretty goddamn gorgeous.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I thought Fall of Cthulhu was decent, and the omnibus is a pretty drat good bargain, over 600 pages for $9.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The DC sale hasn't changed yet, that normal?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

The DC sale hasn't changed yet, that normal?

Doesn't the DC sale change Monday night usually?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rirse posted:

Doesn't the DC sale change Monday night usually?

Sunday at 11 eastern Marvels sale goes up and its 24 hours
Monday at 11 DC goes up if they have one and its 7 days.
Thursday at 11 Marvel sometimes has another sale that can last from 1 day to 7.
The other companies have sales but there is no real schedule for them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm new to Marvel Unlimited. Is there a way of adding an entire series to your "library"? Either on Android or using the browser.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Uthor posted:

I'm new to Marvel Unlimited. Is there a way of adding an entire series to your "library"? Either on Android or using the browser.

Nope! The library management (or lack thereof) is by far the worst part of the app for me. It desperately needs a pull list, folders in your library for series, and a quick way to see what you have read already.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

All I want is to be able to read an event in order. If I'm reading Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers it should go from one to the other for me automatically. I would totally pay extra for that

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Opopanax posted:

All I want is to be able to read an event in order. If I'm reading Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers it should go from one to the other for me automatically. I would totally pay extra for that

For events you can browse by event. At the very least it makes it a bit easier. Though it doesn't automatically advance at the end of an issue to the next event issue (if it is a different series.)

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Is the version of The Incal that's on Comixology the one with the gross redone colouring? Is it censored in any way? I really want to get the the complete bundle, but not if it's a messed up version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like the DC sale is on everything Fable. I kinda want to buy some since I really enjoyed Wolf Among Us.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rirse posted:

Looks like the DC sale is on everything Fable. I kinda want to buy some since I really enjoyed Wolf Among Us.

The comic is a conservative wet dream and they talk all about how awesome Israel is and how abortions are powering the witches since its killing babies.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

The comic is a conservative wet dream and they talk all about how awesome Israel is and how abortions are powering the witches since its killing babies.

Shame, as the game was pretty good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

It sorts your library by release order (or has the option to anyway), so it should do that.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

On a related note, reading nursery rhymes to my new daughter isn't the same after playing that game. No more Gorgie Porgie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

It sorts your library by release order (or has the option to anyway), so it should do that.

Sure, but only if empty my library of anything else, and then exit out to it between every issue

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

While these two things are in the book and Willingham is a hardcore conservative, I didn't think his opinions seeped very much into the book, honestly. As someone who doesn't share his opinions, I've been enjoying the book for over a decade.
Whatever makes people comfortable, obviously.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

nemesis_hub posted:

Is the version of The Incal that's on Comixology the one with the gross redone colouring? Is it censored in any way? I really want to get the the complete bundle, but not if it's a messed up version.

It's the original, thank god

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Rirse posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat, so when I noticed that the collection "Werewolves of the Heartland" is only 99¢ rather then the $4.99 that the other collections are, I decided to buy and read that to see if the series holds my interest. Seems like a good idea, especially since the main character is Bigby Wolf and the description indicates this collection is "both an integral part of the Fables mythology and an entry point to the long-running, best selling series."

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I didn't really see much discussion about this. I wanted to get a tablet just for comic reading (currently use an ipad2) but I wanted to have one, preferably android, just for comics (manga and magazines, especially retro gamer). What do you guys prefer or is there a good cost effective device? It seems like the nexus 7 is a good cheap device but might end up being too small for magazine items.

Just curious about what you guys use and pros/cons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Reading comics on a tablet is basically the best thing ever. I have an iPad Air and it's phenomenal. No more digging in the crack to see art in those big omnis!

Oddly enough there's a AV Club article about this very subject. (though I'm not as rosy on guided view as he is)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, I've never understood the desire to go to the extremes McCloud pitched in some of his theory books. Sure, you could have a theoretically infinitely tall and wide page in a webcomic, because scroll bars... but monitors are a finite size and resolution at any given point in time. So the effect you're giving readers will either be diminished (if you scale for resolution) or ruined (if you don't, and thus the framing is messed up). Plus those layouts are only going to be appropriate like 0.1% of the time. The rest of the time, is it adding anything to the story or process to do 'innovative' digital layouts just for the sake of it.

I enjoy some digital gimmicks, like Marvel's Infinite Comics line usually does some neat stuff with focus, repeated panels and lettering. But the whole "pages as big as a football field" idea baffles me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

I didn't really see much discussion about this. I wanted to get a tablet just for comic reading (currently use an ipad2) but I wanted to have one, preferably android, just for comics (manga and magazines, especially retro gamer). What do you guys prefer or is there a good cost effective device? It seems like the nexus 7 is a good cheap device but might end up being too small for magazine items.

Just curious about what you guys use and pros/cons.

I have friends that use the Nexus 7 for comic reading and think it's fine. I have a Nook HD+ (which I wouldn't recommend, even if you could find one) and don't have a problem with the 9" screen.

My biggest concern would be resolution, not screen size. Having a bigger screen, but the text still coming in blocky because you don't have the pixels is no good. I would rather read comics on my high res 5" phone than a low res 6" Kindle tablet.

If you want to go cheap/small, the Nexus 7 is still decently solid (if a little old). The Verge recommended a newer 7" Asus as a replacement.

I don't hear much about bigger tablets. The Nexus 9 had some software issues when it came out, but I think those are fixed by now. It's a little expensive, though. Or look at the (many) Samsung Tab options.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you go with a 9-10 inch tablet make sure it's at least 1080p. For example Samsung sells some Galaxy Tabs at 1024x768 which isn't going to look nice at all.

An iPad is always a safe bet of course.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The two best current solutions are either a surface pro 3 or a galaxy tab/note 12.2. Both give the largest screen size at excellent resolution and removable storage options.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

hup posted:

It's the original, thank god

Perfect, thank you! The print editions are hard to find so this was my last resort.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Zachack posted:

surface pro 3

Is the Windows 8 comiXology app still hot poo poo? I installed it on my desktop and every thing about it was awful.

It's smaller, but I actually hear good things about the non-Pro Surface 3. Not a laptop replacement, but way cheaper (until you start adding in type covers and styli).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Samsung Tab 4 rooted with a 64gb or 128gb SD card. Totally for the tablet and 64gb from Microcenter was ~179.

:getin:

Just remember the most important thing is the ability to use Link2SD and an SD card.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 21, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't buy a tablet that you need to root to use.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endless Mike posted:

Don't buy a tablet that you need to root to use.

When it's as easy as a Tab 4, it's not something to worry about. I mean why be dependent on internal memory only?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because internal memory is vastly faster and more reliable than any SD card available. Also that whole thing where if you are buying something to break it as soon as it's out of the package, you bought the wrong thing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Please don't poo poo up this thread with "don't root" when comiXology refuses to update their app to accommodate the new external SD permissions in 5.x

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endless Mike posted:

Because internal memory is vastly faster and more reliable than any SD card available. Also that whole thing where if you are buying something to break it as soon as it's out of the package, you bought the wrong thing.

I'd prefer flexibility and far more storage space for a lot less at the trade off of speed.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I got a nexus 7. I see some android comic apps in the first (and second) post.

Do people still like those or are there some good recent apps? (will need one for cbz and car for sure.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have the first five trades of Locke and Key for Kindle on iOS, do y'all know if it's possible to migrate those files to the Comixology app? I assume the answer is no but I thought I'd give it a shot.