Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Will somebody please tell Master Roshi about the Internet.

Also I said I would stop being a baby about voices and realize that he's probably so old he rose out of the sea with the Japanese islands themselves, but will somebody please free us from King Kai's VA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've yet to watch Super and I'm mystified about this whole King Kai thing.
He's always sounded like... like... I have no clue how to describe his voice, but whatever it is. I recall seeing different language dubs where he'd be way higher or lower pitched and it'd just be weird. Not to mention randomly renaming him to things like king Neptune or the generic sounding "north god".

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HGH posted:

I've yet to watch Super and I'm mystified about this whole King Kai thing.
He's always sounded like... like... I have no clue how to describe his voice, but whatever it is. I recall seeing different language dubs where he'd be way higher or lower pitched and it'd just be weird. Not to mention randomly renaming him to things like king Neptune or the generic sounding "north god".

He currently sounds like a guy who just awoke from a coma.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah king Kai is awful in Japanese. Honestly I've been watching but I'll probably rewatch once it's dubbed in Spanish.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't see what's really wrong with it. It's the polar opposite of the english version of the character, sure, but eh, he just sounds intensely unimpressed by all the poo poo pushed on him which is about right.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So... ummmm...

...yeah.

Anyone can try to take something from Deviantart and try to pass it off as something real, with enough .jpeg.

That was pretty much how AF started. lovely fan art.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 21, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Covok posted:

With HD TV nowadays, you can appreciate even individual pixel because they are too tiny! Standard Definition for life!

Also, having seen a few episodes of Steven Universe with my little cousin, I really want to see what would happen if the series was more fusion happy. It's a fun concept.

Steven Universe plays with a bunch of fun DBZ gimmicks, like families with food based names. Weird li'l kid Onion and his big brother Sour Cream both live with their mother Vidalia while their father Yellowtail is away fishing.

These guys arrived on Earth in round little space pods from a spacefaring race of planet conquerors to fight the main characters. That sort of thing.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 21, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Aurain posted:

I don't see what's really wrong with it. It's the polar opposite of the english version of the character, sure, but eh, he just sounds intensely unimpressed by all the poo poo pushed on him which is about right.

It's that the audio doesn't ever match the visuals. He'll be waving his arms around all :supaburn: but his voice is all :smith:.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hev was better in the old episodes, probably because he never had to do more than make bad jokes. Maybe it's time to replace him, like Mr.Satan (but not like Mr.Satan at all).

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
You guys are jerks for lording your fancy Piccolos over me. I haven't even SEEN a Piccolo. Only got 1 Krillin. I've got a Super Rare Zarbon on my team though!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

New Leaf posted:

You guys are jerks for lording your fancy Piccolos over me. I haven't even SEEN a Piccolo. Only got 1 Krillin. I've got a Super Rare Zarbon on my team though!

Super Rare Yamcha, Roshi, Android 19, Android 20 & Cui.

A truly legendary crew.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Super Rare Hercule :smuggo:

Too bad the game keeps getting stuck on the after-battle exp report :negative:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the king kai VA in Super is just objectively bad

What he's conveying is nothing like the imagery on screen and he seems unable to do any sort of energetic performance at all. If he's too old to do the job they should have gotten someone else

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zzulu posted:

the king kai VA in Super is just objectively bad

What he's conveying is nothing like the imagery on screen and he seems unable to do any sort of energetic performance at all. If he's too old to do the job they should have gotten someone else

This is the same show that sticks to having a 70-year-old woman voice a middle-aged father of two. The only way any character will ever get a new VA is if the previous one is dead.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They should pass an elderly retirement law or something.
No wait half their population is elderly isn't it?

EDIT: OK so Goku can't beat Superman, but can he beat Alfred?

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 21, 2015

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Dokkan Friend ID: 664601242

Add away.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

This is the same show that sticks to having a 70-year-old woman voice a middle-aged father of two. The only way any character will ever get a new VA is if the previous one is dead.

Or they'd just retire the character as some are wont to do.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

HGH posted:

God I love that scene.

That's one thing Death Battle never takes into account is how easily Superman can and does get the poo poo kicked out of him on a regular basis. Much lesser foes have thrown Supes for a loop with an energy blast, a SSJGSSJSJGGSJ Goku Kamehameha to the face shouldn't be any different.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HGH posted:

Technically this is Alfred with a "super pill" which brings him near to superman's level. On the other had if superman is limitless you would think it ought to be impossible for someone to kick the everything poo poo out of him, pill or no.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Caros posted:

Technically this is Alfred with a "super pill" which brings him near to superman's level. On the other had if superman is limitless you would think it ought to be impossible for someone to kick the everything poo poo out of him, pill or no.

He's also one of the "weaker" Supermans.. (Supermen?)

Seriously though, the Injustice series is awesome.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

New Leaf posted:

He's also one of the "weaker" Supermans.. (Supermen?)

Seriously though, the Injustice series is awesome.

which is pretty amazing since the story in the videogame is dumb as hell.

But yeah the injustice comic rules.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I thought that Superman was limited to speed of light travel, it was only the flash that could exceed it.

This is coming from someone who knows very little about DC characters, there's gotta be many many more flaws in that video.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

sharktamer posted:

I thought that Superman was limited to speed of light travel, it was only the flash that could exceed it.

This is coming from someone who knows very little about DC characters, there's gotta be many many more flaws in that video.

Here's the problem with Superman- from a fan of DC comics, though I haven't actively read since the "New 52" started (which has now subsequently stopped, so it's been a while). Superman has no DEFINED limits. Yes, there was a point in time where The Flash was faster than Superman. Then a different writer wrote that Superman traveled however many times the speed of light to reach Earth and that limit was changed essentially just by some writer's idea of what sounds cool. He's as strong or as fast or as invulnerable as he needs to be to fit in to the story. If they want to tell a story but Superman's presence is an annoyance because of his lack of limits, they make a new limit for him, like mind control or space flu or solar eclipse or something stupid. Even his vulnerability to Kryptonite changes from day to day. One day a sliver the size of your fingernail will bring him to his knees, or the barest hint of a red sun on the horizon will send him crashing to the ground. Another, he can fly through the center of a red sun while fighting someone every bit as strong as him and crash land on a planet literally covered in chunks of Kryptonite and keep fighting. If some head writer at DC would sit down and say "Okay, Superman can travel X miles per hour, he can lift X amount of weight, his heat vision is X temperature", it would all go away. But they won't.

Edit: Actual Dragonball stuff- in Dokkan Battle, the SR Vegeta event- anyone else notice the colors are *slightly* off on his sprite? I actually really like it- the "tights" are a darker blue and the pads are less yellow and more khaki color. It's just a minor change but I really prefer that color scheme now.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 21, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If anyone wants to friend me in Dokkan my number is 2181765381

My leader is blue SSR SSJ Goku so I'm a useful friend

Edit: friending is cross platform btw, I'm iOS but my brother friended me on his android

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 21, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

New Leaf posted:

If some head writer at DC would sit down and say "Okay, Superman can travel X miles per hour, he can lift X amount of weight, his heat vision is X temperature", it would all go away. But they won't.

The next head writer would just overwrite that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So Superman is a Gary Stu or whatever that's called?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

So Superman is a Gary Stu or whatever that's called?

Depends on the writer

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sharktamer posted:

His general portrayal is that he can fly across the universe at much beyond the speed of light, but his actual reactions/fighting are just around light. This is something that has one or two outliers in the modern incarnations. The difference is the same in that a jet fighter pilot can fly faster than sound and take off/land in precise places, but couldn't dart and react at those speeds without the advantage of starting and ending curves of speed and predictive distance.

The Flash and actual speedsters, on the other hand, travel and react at way past light (a little slower now), which give them a huge advantage over someone like Superman.

Every once in a while you'll get that writer that absolutely wants to have Superman be the best, and then has Deathstroke stabbing the Flash because "he predicted where he could go," but, by and large, that's how the characters are portrayed.

Dragon Ball works the reverse (until recently) because it uses martial arts mythology as it's basis. By any standards, Goku, etc. HAVE to be fighting past light speed towards the end of the series, ignoring Funimation translations, etc., just by power creep and the amount of times someone became so much faster to be invisible to the last fastest person, but over long distances, they're much slower, as it uses too much of their ki to keep up ridiculous speed for ridiculous amounts of time.

Strength and stuff is kind of the same. Comics are often written to have "default" strengths, while Dragon Ball and other manga are often shifting their ki into strength/speed/defense. That's why Goku can be almost killed by a ring laser and block things that can take out a solar system - if he actively isn't putting his ki into defense, he can be caught unawares. He's more durable than a person, but it's like a little above Spider-man level until he puts actual ki into the defense.

Boards that still do versus type stuff, at least back when I visited to get into less stressful debates than social issues, normally work best when they go by high end average portrayals while tossing out low and high end outliers, and understanding the difference between things like striking and lifting strength and travel vs. reaction speed. Death Battle seems to merge the characters into one composite being and then take the most ridiculous thing they've done, which isn't really interesting or fun in my opinion.

edit: I said "until recently" for Dragon Ball, because Beerus and Whis travel as fast as Silver Age Superman (who could sneeze planets away and react at the same speed he flew) and seem to be around his general power level.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 21, 2015

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Superman is a fairly complex take on a simple archetype who is presented as a number of different characters with the same key features, sort of like a legendary figure or a public domain character. His characterisation depends wholly on who's writing him, and for what reason, so it's hard to really pin down what he is, or what he's about.

You can't even draw a connection to an original canon, like you could do with Sherlock Holmes or Dracula (who have had similar wildly varying characterisations over the decades), because everything official is canon, apart from the hoaxes/dreams/imaginary stories and the altered timelines, etc.

In his first appearances, Superman could not fly. Now he can, and it's an intrinsic part of his character, but originally he could not. Likewise, his original backstory did not have him raised by kindly old Kansas couple Jonathan and Martha Kent. That got added later, but it's such an integral part of who he is that it seems weird that he ever lacked it.

Superman can be something of a self-insertion character, where the writer gets to use the greatest hero in the world as their mouthpiece (and boy are the stories where that happens incredibly tiresome). He can be a joke of a character, an idealistic boy scout who doesn't understand the way the world really works (how he's presented in a good 50% of Batman comics), and a whole other bunch of representations besides that.

It's for this very reason that they can't put hard numbers on his abilities, like was suggested a few posts back. Marvel tried to do that for a time, they had a weight class value in terms of how many tons someone could lift, with a cap of 100 tons. That got ignored a lot, and went completely out of fashion eventually, because you can't have a scene like the Hulk holding up an entire mountain without some joyless nerd writing angry letters about geological formations and aggregate pressure.

Superman can be a good character. He can also be a lousy character. But you can't really say he's completely anything, because at this point there's either eighty million different versions of the same character, or he's just a sort of modern-day myth that occupies the same space as Hercules, King Arthur, and so on. You have to define him by the context he appears in.

(I'm a huge nerd.)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So who would win, first appearance superman or Dragonball era kid Goku

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, is Burter faster than the Flash?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Some Numbers posted:

Flash is arguably more busted than Superman.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kelp Plankton posted:

So who would win, first appearance superman or Dragonball era kid Goku

They're honestly quite close in abilities. Can't fly, can jump very high. Bulletproof but not resistant to anything stronger, like an artillery shell. High stamina and strength enough to bend steel, but not capable of lifting whole buildings or planets.

I'd say it'd have to come down to a contest of wits, and Superman probably has the edge there. Plus he didn't have any code against killing in his first appearance.

Some Numbers posted:

Depends which Flash. He probably beats Jay Garrick easily, who had a top speed of about Mach 2 if I remember correctly, and he'd probably be faster than Barry Allen, but Bart Allen and Wally West have been depicted as being faster than lightspeed by several magnitudes, so it's hard to say.

The more recently a speedster was created in comic books, the faster they are, because "as fast as a jet" doesn't wow crowds like it did in the 1950s.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Flash is arguably more busted than Superman.

Ohgod, let's not discuss "goesfast.txt" in the Dragonball thread. I'm sorry I brought it up.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Some Numbers posted:

Ohgod, let's not discuss "goesfast.txt" in the Dragonball thread. I'm sorry I brought it up.

Just glad we got ahead of it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Anyone who wants a Krillin for their game - 2744268402

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Some Numbers posted:

Goesfast.txt sounds familiar...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Instead of starting THAT again, let's talk about something better.
What would really happen if Goku met Superman:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"You're already bread" is the best part of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Goten would love the poo poo out of Superman. Trunks would wonder why he fights that scientist Luthor guy that his mom talks poo poo about all the time.

• Locked thread