Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I just read that Chris Squier of Yes passed away.

RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

tarlibone posted:

RIP.

Just saw that too... Gonna throw on my The Yes Album LP as soon as I get home today :(

nerd_of_prey posted:

Hey, I am a bass newbie and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the history of my bass guitar, it's by Jarock and is pink sparkle with a matching headstock, maple neck and black pickguard. It says made in japan on the metal panel on the back. It is v.similar to a ibanez blazer in shape

All I can find from Google is that it may have been made in the terada plant in japan in 70s or 80s but that just comes from eBay sellers who are selling the same model so I don't know what to believe!

Just curious in case anyone here knows anything about this brand or can point me in the direction of some good resources?

I like it anyway!!!

Oh also, does anyone recommend the vox am plug bass headphone thingy? I have a amp (ampeg ba112) but am going away and would like to take my bass with me so I can practice and can't fit the amp in the car as well!

There were countless instrument companies that came into and faded from existence in Japan in the 60s and 70s. Don't know anything about the company specifically, but yeah, like most of them, it was probably made in one of Ibanez's factories.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 28, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nerd_of_prey posted:

pink sparkle

fabulous!

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

It is rather!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

tarlibone posted:

RIP.

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwhMw5lwzNg

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

nerd_of_prey posted:

Oh also, does anyone recommend the vox am plug bass headphone thingy? I have a amp (ampeg ba112) but am going away and would like to take my bass with me so I can practice and can't fit the amp in the car as well!

Havent played one of those but I'm using a KORG Pandora mini which has many more features over the vox thing. Tuner, metronome (with about a hundred beats), effects, aux input, line out... it's probably double the price if you can find one but infinitely more useful.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I also have a Pandora and it is a very useful practice tool.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

nerd_of_prey posted:

I have the vox amphones, they are pretty cool. The "effects" dial is kinda meh, but other than that they do as advertised. Batteries have lasted forever, tone and volume are both good too.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

As someone who uses a Warwick Rockbag and has an old plastic molded Rockcase, the new Warwick Flightcase I just received is hilariously overkill.

I got a great deal on it so I might just flip it for a Mono bag.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
My upright's bridge has been warping/bending downwards for a while now. I had it steamed and clamped straight about a year ago, but it went right back to its previous shape. I'm finally getting it replaced, as I don't want my bass to suddenly implode when the bridge snaps or collapses. Along with other routine checkup stuff, I'm putting on badly-needed new strings at the same time - D'Addario Zyex medium tension. Hopefully this will be the only maintenance it needs for a while, as this will set me back nearly 500 bucks.

Yay for a bunch of upcoming gigs to pay for required instrument maintenance!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
When you said something about your bass imploding, I got this image of a nervous bassist bowing a string and watching the bridge with an eagle eye. Suddenly, it becomes clear that it's going to totally collapse, and the bassist's eyes open wide in terror, but he doesn't have time to stop bowing. Then, with a snap, the bridge breaks, and the sudden change in tension does cause the bass to literally implode, folding in half first and then continuing to compact itself in a tangled mess that makes more and more racket as it shrinks. Finally, it just vanishes in a puff of smoke, and there you are, holding a bow, hunched over nothing at all.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
It would sure make transportation easier that way :v:

But if the bridge collapses, then the string tension is no longer directed through the bridge and to the soundpost. Soundposts are only secured by this pressure, so they can fall out when the pressure is moved, and that's when bad things could potentially happen to the structure of the instrument.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Something to be added to the OP:

Wikiloops - Get backing tracks to jam along with. Submit your own so other people can comment on it and then jam with it. Sort by what instruments are included/excluded in the track, tempo, and/or by meter. For starters, check the page of tracks with only drums and guitar.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

CaseFace McGee posted:

It would sure make transportation easier that way :v:

But if the bridge collapses, then the string tension is no longer directed through the bridge and to the soundpost. Soundposts are only secured by this pressure, so they can fall out when the pressure is moved, and that's when bad things could potentially happen to the structure of the instrument.

I used to play upright unamplified in my college big band, and snapped the tailgut once. :gonk:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Just noticed that Dingwall updated their galleries, and hey, there's my bass!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ruzihm posted:

Something to be added to the OP:

Wikiloops - Get backing tracks to jam along with. Submit your own so other people can comment on it and then jam with it. Sort by what instruments are included/excluded in the track, tempo, and/or by meter. For starters, check the page of tracks with only drums and guitar.

Thank you for this, it beats the poo poo out of making my own crappy beats and guitar parts.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In a strange turn of events I've come back around to loving Chromes again. I tried out the set of La Bella Tapewounds to replace the D'Addarios and they were a disaster for me. The E A vs D G string balance was massively off. They sounded totally different and the strings themselves had an inconsistent texture and feel. I suppose I probably managed a bad batch but eh, back to my old purely consistent D'As. After that letdown I grabbed a pack of Chromes to try again. Funny thing is I've put them on and taken them off the last few times because I started to really dislike them. Now? They're perfect. I've learned to EQ properly for their high mid bump and I'm getting an amazing sound from them. Best and most versatile sounds I've harnessed in a long time on my jazz. Deep motown thump, mid forward gritty growl, trebly clang. It's all there.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i haven't touched a bass in more than a month. what's wrong with me

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dyna Soar posted:

Leprosy?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

nerd_of_prey posted:

Hey, I am a bass newbie and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the history of my bass guitar, it's by Jarock and is pink sparkle with a matching headstock, maple neck and black pickguard. It says made in japan on the metal panel on the back. It is v.similar to a ibanez blazer in shape

All I can find from Google is that it may have been made in the terada plant in japan in 70s or 80s but that just comes from eBay sellers who are selling the same model so I don't know what to believe!

Just curious in case anyone here knows anything about this brand or can point me in the direction of some good resources?

I've seen some claims that Jarock guitars may have been made by FujiGen. That would explain the Ibanez connection. How is the build quality? I've never held a FujiGen that wasn't great.

HoneyBunchesofOats
May 4, 2013
I've been playing guitar for a while, and I was looking up to pick up a decent starter bass. I found this custom-made that looks pretty nice
https://reverb.com/item/416488-5-string-left-handed-bass-guitar-zebra-wood-body

and it's left-handed, which are harder for me to find. Is there any way to judge a custom build just from the information given in the link? Too risky?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
do you really want a 5-string for a starter? if i were you i'd just get a leftie squier P or a J or something simple like that. much easier to resell.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

HoneyBunchesofOats posted:

I've been playing guitar for a while, and I was looking up to pick up a decent starter bass. I found this custom-made that looks pretty nice
https://reverb.com/item/416488-5-string-left-handed-bass-guitar-zebra-wood-body

and it's left-handed, which are harder for me to find. Is there any way to judge a custom build just from the information given in the link? Too risky?

What exactly do you mean by "custom made?" It's a mass produced Warwick knockoff and very likely not worth the wood it's made of.

Dyna Soar posted:

do you really want a 5-string for a starter? if i were you i'd just get a leftie squier P or a J or something simple like that. much easier to resell.

I second this. You can find a decent Squier in that price range, like the VM Jazz Bass, which can be had for $300 with free shipping from most vendors. Counting what you'd pay for shipping on the one you posted, you're shelling out a few bucks more to get something that's a known quantity.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

TopherCStone posted:

It's a mass produced Warwick knockoff and very likely not worth the wood it's made of.

This exactly. They also spelled "pickups" wrong in the description.

I would recommend playing some basses to find out what you like before buying anything.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there any go-to for a fretless neck that won't cost me 1/2 the price of a VM fretless squier? I want to take my playing to the vague-space.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

Is there any go-to for a fretless neck that won't cost me 1/2 the price of a VM fretless squier? I want to take my playing to the vague-space.

If you can find a take-off fretted neck you can simply pull the frets and fill the slots. I tried that once with wood filler, but it was a bit messy. If I did it again I would use wood veneer or plastic sheet the right size to fill the slot.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Dyna Soar posted:

I hurt my wrist working and I havn't been able to play for like 4 days now it sucks :smith:

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

TopherCStone posted:

I've seen some claims that Jarock guitars may have been made by FujiGen. That would explain the Ibanez connection. How is the build quality? I've never held a FujiGen that wasn't great.
I am a bass newbie and only have limited experience of other basses ( have a decent guitar collection though) but I really like it and it seems really well made, well balanced, solid but not heavy. The neck is quite thick but has that lovely old maple colour. The pink sparkle still looks great despite a couple of scuffs. I'm really happy with my choices

I am building up the courage to adjust the truss rod as the action is quite high and I'm getting a lot of string noise.

I can play a couple of songs now but I'm not sure my rhythms are perfect as I find it really hard to hear bass clearly in the mix of a lot of songs and I'm having to look up YouTube videos of spotty Teenagers doing bass covers to hear the bass part more clearly - please tell me there is an easier way?!!!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

nerd_of_prey posted:

I am a bass newbie and only have limited experience of other basses ( have a decent guitar collection though) but I really like it and it seems really well made, well balanced, solid but not heavy. The neck is quite thick but has that lovely old maple colour. The pink sparkle still looks great despite a couple of scuffs. I'm really happy with my choices

I am building up the courage to adjust the truss rod as the action is quite high and I'm getting a lot of string noise.

I can play a couple of songs now but I'm not sure my rhythms are perfect as I find it really hard to hear bass clearly in the mix of a lot of songs and I'm having to look up YouTube videos of spotty Teenagers doing bass covers to hear the bass part more clearly - please tell me there is an easier way?!!!

In my case, just playing for a while taught my ears how to listen for the bass parts so I would say it gets easier.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Messing with your eq helps too, but yeah getting used to the sound of the bass in a mix and what you'd expect it to be doing helps pick stuff out

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

nerd_of_prey posted:

RE truss rod: it's not as hard as it seems. Don't monkey with it, make small adjustments and see what they do. Also, the truss rod isn't the only thing that affects action, it's really just an adjustment for bow in the neck. The nut and bridge are also key parts to that, so you may need to adjust those as well (start with the bridge, nut work is very difficult).

For hearing bass parts, make sure to use headphones with good bass response. You can fiddle with the EQ too, but some songs just have weird mixing and there's not much to be done about it.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Download BPminus. You can slow down songs, mess with the EQ to make it easier to hear bass parts.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Truss rod adjustments are for relief, not action height. If the action is too high adjust at the bridge.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
After a long hiatus, I'm getting back into Bass playing and looking for an amp. I have an Ampeg 410 cab already, but my amp setup is kind of janky with just a modeling unit and an power amp, and I'd rather move to something more all-in-one.

The Ampeg SVTs seem pretty well recommended across the board, so I've been eyeing a couple on Craigslist.

Thoughts on the price points for these? Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

If you're buying an old tube amp be sure to budget a couple hundred bucks to have it serviced by a qualified tech. I don't know how much a cap job is on an SVT but if it needs new power tubes that's 6 6550s at ~$30-40/each.

Also if you don't have a strong back and a very loud band an SVT is probably overkill.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
a quick look says that's a steal. personally 70s SVT's have the best tone of any amp I've heard

it will be kind of expensive to keep it in good shape i guess, but then again since its a PTP amp it will basically be repairable forever, unlike the soldered shitheaps modern amps are.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

FancyMike posted:

If you're buying an old tube amp be sure to budget a couple hundred bucks to have it serviced by a qualified tech. I don't know how much a cap job is on an SVT but if it needs new power tubes that's 6 6550s at ~$30-40/each.
Who would I look for to service these? I mean, I've done some work on old stereo equipment myself, but I don't really have a local store I'm super comfortable with.

quote:

Also if you don't have a strong back and a very loud band an SVT is probably overkill.
Eh, I don't mind the weight, and I'd rather buy what I want instead of getting a stopgap and just buying this later. If I really hate it, it'll be easy to resell I'm sure.

Dyna Soar posted:

a quick look says that's a steal. personally 70s SVT's have the best tone of any amp I've heard

it will be kind of expensive to keep it in good shape i guess, but then again since its a PTP amp it will basically be repairable forever, unlike the soldered shitheaps modern amps are.
So you'd recommend going with the 70s one versus the newer classic? It seems like the classic + cab for $1k is a good deal as well, although I don't really need the second cab.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
most definitely go with the older one! they don't make them like they used to.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Find out what 410 cab it comes with. If it's a 410HLF then you could sell it for probably at least $400. If it's the 410HE I might be a little weary of the whole setup, since that is an 8 ohm can and the amp wants a 2 or 4 ohm load. Even still, you could probably get about $300 for that cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't know if PTP is correct, ampegs of that era are PCB based. My 70-71 V4B is PCB based for instance.

That said, they use full size components and are certainly repairable with patience and a simple soldering iron, as long as the traces on the PCB don't lift.