Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Of course! Also /giphy comes up with the best (or worst) replies
Well this just cemented my team's use of the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Unfortunately Slack doesn't cover any sort of data retention requirements (though they plan to in the future). We were able to get what we need on that front from Hipchat Server (in painful ways) if you have regulatory needs. These products are written by developers who seem to have never worked in a regulated industry and are astonished that anyone would need to log 1-to-1 messages.

Hipchat integrates well with other Atlassian products, has an on-prem version (though it's more expensive than it ought to be), and most importantly also has inline gif support.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I wish Cisco Jabber had inline gif support :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The new ticket/shop management software we're setting up has slack integration. So of course, based on this conversation I went and turned it on.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Does anyone have any experience bulk adding users to AD from a csv or spreadsheet?

I tried a couple different powershell scripts today and couldn't get anything to work. Just watched a video on a free tool that SolarWinds has and it looked promising.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Well this just cemented my team's use of the program.

seriously /giphy is like a grab bag, you never know what you're going to get.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

people in charge of hiring actually honestly think that AD experience and 2+ years of helpdesk experience qualify as entry level.
Define AD experience. If you mean resetting passwords and poo poo, I would qualify that plus 2 years of helpdesk as entry level.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm a little annoyed required years of employment when honestly rather arbitrary. Someone on helpdesk for 3 years isn't going to be necessarily more skilled than a peer with 4 year. The same goes for even System Administration positions.

On a completely different subject, I swear on my soul that I was once able to successfully ping the network address of a network. To be specific, I was able to ping 192.168.1.0/24.

I know it doesn't make any sense but I swear I saw this occur. Is there another explanation?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

crunk dork posted:

Does anyone have any experience bulk adding users to AD from a csv or spreadsheet?

I tried a couple different powershell scripts today and couldn't get anything to work. Just watched a video on a free tool that SolarWinds has and it looked promising.

Just pipe the imported csv to new-aduser. The only complication should be that you'll need to cast the password as a secure string. You can also use the instance parameter to copy a template and just set what's different.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

crunk dork posted:

If you still need this tomorrow, PM me and I can give you one I used the other month.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I'm a little annoyed required years of employment when honestly rather arbitrary. Someone on helpdesk for 3 years isn't going to be necessarily more skilled than a peer with 4 year. The same goes for even System Administration positions.

On a completely different subject, I swear on my soul that I was once able to successfully ping the network address of a network. To be specific, I was able to ping 192.168.1.0/24.

I know it doesn't make any sense but I swear I saw this occur. Is there another explanation?

Cisco devices with ip subnet-zero can use network ips

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

adorai posted:

Define AD experience. If you mean resetting passwords and poo poo, I would qualify that plus 2 years of helpdesk as entry level.

Sure, you should be able to do that as soon as you are trained, but you shouldn't be expected to spin up virtual machine in order to know it before your first job. And they never say what AD experience.

Also, if you need two years of job experience, it isn't entry level. Entry level is zero professional experience, that's why they call it entry level. Because you're entering the industry.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

lampey posted:

Cisco devices with ip subnet-zero can use network ips

When I ping one of these devices, what's actually returning the ICMP Request? The router?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 1, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Entry level is zero professional experience, that's why they call it entry level. Because you're entering the industry.

1000x this. When I was last job hunting I got so tired of seeing lobs listed as jr or entry level, and asking for 2-5 years of experience.

If you have 5 years experience, you would have to be an idiot to accept any job listed as jr or entry level unless it was that or starve.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

When I ping one of these devices, what's actually returning the ICMP Request? The router?

Whatever device had that IP. There's nothing special about it. Back when classful routing was a thing it would have caused problems, and could still on some operating systems, but it's just a normal IP like any other.

Also, just because it ends in a 0 doesn't mean it's a network address. Could be a 23 bit subnet mask.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm still getting my feet under me at the new job, and I'm currently looking into duplicate (or very close to being duplicate) AD groups and also trying to untangle the web of file share/permissions that come from three or so company integrations in the last few years. This is going to be super painful.

I also agreed to be the "single point of contact" for a consultant that's overseeing our installation/integration of SAP HANA. Nobody else would volunteer to talk to the guy. I don't think anyone cares about doing whatever work that needs done, they just don't want to deal with the guy. I at least haven't had any interactions with him, so the thought is that I won't be hostile with him right off the bat. My volunteering could have been a bad idea. We got two new Dell r930's (or maybe r920; one is for DR) exclusively for this project, when everything else we have is an r710/720/730.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

Whatever device had that IP. There's nothing special about it. Back when classful routing was a thing it would have caused problems, and could still on some operating systems, but it's just a normal IP like any other.

Also, just because it ends in a 0 doesn't mean it's a network address. Could be a 23 bit subnet mask.

I'm little lost still and you're right it isn't necessarily going to end with zero but what I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to ping a Network Address. For example, 192.168.0.0/25 and I ping 192.168.0.128 the second sub-network.

I am little unclear with classful/classless sub-netting. Maybe that's that part I'm not understanding?

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Tab8715 posted:

Requiring years of experience did not originate in IT, and it has statistical merit there to combat paper-only admins who have no experience or so little that they haven't seen a decent variety of weird off-the-rails situations. But as with any statistical phenomenon there are going to be some outliers in both directions: The problem is hiring managers (and to a lesser extent job seekers) who forget this part and treat it as a sacrosanct threshold.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm little lost still and you're right it isn't necessarily going to end with zero but what I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to ping a Network Address. For example, 192.168.0.0/25 and I ping 192.168.0.128 the second sub-network.

I am little unclear with classful/classless sub-netting. Maybe that's that part I'm not understanding?

A Network Address (in the way you're thinking of and using it) is not a physical thing. It's a really old short-hand for specifying a network range from way back when we treated IPv4 in a more heavily-structured way. We shied away from assigning it just to minimize confusion, and technically there are still some badly-maintained apps that get confused when handed an address that looks like one but they're extremely rare. This mostly changed when we moved away from classful addressing.

So then what is classful addressing? Way back in the day, we knew we couldn't have a single broadcast domain for the entire internet, but assumed every endpoint would need to know what every other endpoint's broadcast range was. So we set up some rules based on the first two bits in the address to determine the "class" of a network, which essentially just means its size. As a result, every device could see any other IP address and calculate its broadcast domain automatically.
In the end, though, we eventually realized that devices don't actually need to know each other's broadcast domains and the routers can handle any idiosyncracies that crop up. So we did away with the whole classes thing, at which point it no longer made sense to reserve the network address because a device can't reliably tell if a given address is in fact some other subnet's network address. But we still retain some of the terminology because it lets you score sweet greybeard cred.

keseph fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 22, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone going to be at the F5 Agility conference in DC? I just found out today that I'm going.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Entry level is zero professional experience, that's why they call it entry level. Because you're entering the industry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entry-level_job

Read the last line. The sad fact is that there is a surplus of skilled labor, and hiring managers can afford to require experience for an "entry level" job. I know our last job posting for level 1 helpdesk had a significant number of applicants with many years of experience. We even had a guy apply who had over *30* years in the industry. For level 1 helpdesk.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

Yes, it is possible to ping a network address, though what responds is going to depend on a lot of factors. RFC1812 defines host address 0 as an invalid destination and states that routers SHOULD discard them or, failing that, should treat them as a broadcast, but also allows for an option to allow delivery of packets to that address. So basically it could do just about ANYTHING depending on what is making the routing decision.

Unix flavors (at least most of them seem to) treat it as a broadcast. If you look at the ARP table from my Macbook the entry for (192.168.0.) looks like this:

? (192.168.0.0) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

Which means it's being forwarded to the broadcast MAC address, and I get a response when pinging. However I only get a response from a single device, wheres when I ping the actual broadcast address I get responses from multiple devices on the network, which indicates that most of the devices on my home network are silently dropping the packet as defined in the RFC, but one device (a chromecast) is accepting it and responding. In windows the network address is not treated as a broadcast, so if you were so inclined you could probably put it on a host (you might have to use WMI) and have it work, maybe? Though the tools there mostly seem to be written to prevent it.

Classful subnets are defined entirely by their first octet so a network is summarized with only a network address and no subnet mask (the mask is either 8, 16, or 24 depending on the first octet) so it's possible that some routing software might have issues with the network address being used on a host. That could be crap though, and the fact that it was a broadcast address in some systems seems like a more likely reason why it's restricted.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 22, 2015

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Nearly shot myself in the foot with GPO recently. Autologon script linked to domain instead of OU, along with some other lab-specific settings and restrictions. Two things saved me, 1) I caught it early in the update cycle and 2) It's summer, no class in session.

Time to set up a lab. I have access to basically unlimited hardware and MS software. VMs in VMware and HyperV, a few bare metal servers no longer in production, and like 300 Dell 7010s and the power to run them. Is the cloud still a better option?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

keseph posted:

Requiring years of experience did not originate in IT, and it has statistical merit there to combat paper-only admins who have no experience or so little that they haven't seen a decent variety of weird off-the-rails situations. But as with any statistical phenomenon there are going to be some outliers in both directions: The problem is hiring managers (and to a lesser extent job seekers) who forget this part and treat it as a sacrosanct threshold.

I'm not disagreeing that this is true and probably should made my post a little more clear but it's a general guideline. I keep running into the same conversation if someone has a certain amount years in the field this means they're an expert or now eligible for regarded job titles. When in reality this isn't necessarily true as Joe didn't really care to learn Powershell but has been System Administrator for almost five years while Ethan taught himself Powershell but hasn't been in the industry for more than 2 years.

Contoso Corp puts out an ad for a Senior System Administrator. Joe just hit his five year mark at Fabrikam and with this on a resume he just knows he'll get hired right on the spot. On the other hand Ethan sees the ad but doesn't meets all the bullet points expect for the 5-years of experience and doesn't bother to apply. :suicide:

keseph posted:

A Network Address (in the way you're thinking of and using it) is not a physical thing. It's a really old short-hand for specifying a network range from way back when we treated IPv4 in a more heavily-structured way.

I'm completely understanding that it's not a physical thing but I swear-to-god one day in a CCNA Lab I pinged the Network Address and it said hello back.

keseph posted:

We shied away from assigning it just to minimize confusion, and technically there are still some badly-maintained apps that get confused when handed an address that looks like one but they're extremely rare.

So... It's bad idea to assign the Network Address but it is possible?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 22, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

Yes, it is possible to ping a network address, though what responds is going to depend on a lot of factors. RFC1812 defines host address 0 as an invalid destination and states that routers SHOULD discard them or, failing that, should treat them as a broadcast, but also allows for an option to allow delivery of packets to that address. So basically it could do just about ANYTHING depending on what is making the routing decision.

Unix flavors (at least most of them seem to) treat it as a broadcast. If you look at the ARP table from my Macbook the entry for (192.168.0.) looks like this:

? (192.168.0.0) at ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

Which means it's being forwarded to the broadcast MAC address, and I get a response when pinging. However I only get a response from a single device, wheres when I ping the actual broadcast address I get responses from multiple devices on the network, which indicates that most of the devices on my home network are silently dropping the packet as defined in the RFC, but one device (a chromecast) is accepting it and responding. In windows the network address is not treated as a broadcast, so if you were so inclined you could probably put it on a host (you might have to use WMI) and have it work, maybe? Though the tools there mostly seem to be written to prevent it.

:aaa:

Ah hah!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

adorai posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entry-level_job

Read the last line. The sad fact is that there is a surplus of skilled labor, and hiring managers can afford to require experience for an "entry level" job. I know our last job posting for level 1 helpdesk had a significant number of applicants with many years of experience. We even had a guy apply who had over *30* years in the industry. For level 1 helpdesk.

A surplus of labor doesn't mean they're using the terminology any less wrong. Anyone who lists a job as entry level when it needs experience is a dick, because they're loving with the search results. I take it a little bit personally because I spent nine months unemployed, living with my father and selling plasma for gas money to go to interviews, while slogging through the 75% of the entry level classifieds that required experience.

That aside, they're just plain misusing the term. Maybe in 10-20 years it will have become widespread enough to be a linguistic mutation. Or maybe in 10-20 years nobody will be able to afford college because all of the parents will still be paying off their student loans.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Two years of experience is entry-level in my view. I personally haven't met a person working in networking with only two years experience that I would consider a senior level technician/engineer. I suppose it happens but it's probably an outlier.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Is entry the same as junior?

I thought 2 years made you on the level of junior and 5+ made you senior.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

2 years of experience is a common listing requirement to reduce the amount of time that employers have to hold on to applications to meet affirmative action requirements.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

GOOCHY posted:

Two years of experience is entry-level in my view. I personally haven't met a person working in networking with only two years experience that I would consider a senior level technician/engineer. I suppose it happens but it's probably an outlier.

You don't magically transform from entry-level to senior...

If I list a position as entry level, it means I'm willing to look at people fresh out of school. If I'm requiring any sort of real world work experience, I'd use the term junior. Saying entry level and actually REQUIRING experience is kind of a dick move in my book.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

psydude posted:

2 years of experience is a common listing requirement to reduce the amount of time that employers have to hold on to applications to meet affirmative action requirements.

How does that work?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

In my mind there's basically "Jr. / Entry Level" aka, we will need to teach this person what to do but they have some understanding of a technology that is critical to their job role: Networking, Linux, AD administration, etc. You don't need 2 years of experience to qualify for an AD role where you right click on GPOs, manage user accounts, and make sure people are in the right groups, you just need pen+paper at the very least and someone to show you how to do it the first time.

Senior/Mid level are basically "how long is this person going to need before they can start to contribute value, and what (if any) skills are they bringing with them that we either do not already have or could use some more expertise in?". The smaller the first number is and the bigger the second number is, the more "Senior" you are. It's all relative to the position and the organization, and IMO anyway years of experience have nothing to do with it, although there is usually a pretty strong correlation there's always the chance that you end up hiring a Sr Linux Sysadmin with 15 years of experience and it turns out he's very, very good with system internals and he nailed all of your bullshit trivia questions, but that ends up only being 10% of his job.

It's up to you as a department/hiring manager to know what you actually need and how to determine if candidates match your needs.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I'm looking into options for replacing our main switches at our main Seattle office with about ~50 desks or so. It's going to become the internet gateway for our Portland office, which is growing to about 40 desks. I use desks because a lot of users come and go so the number of people in the office can vary fairly significantly from those numbers up and down. Currently we have 20Mbps EoC in Seattle and 12Mbps bonded T1's in Portland connected over a MPLS and network behind a ~*~cloud firewall~*~. We have just shy of 200 employees and about 130 computer users. Everyone else will be getting email addresses within the year.

Just got 50Mbps Comcast fiber turned up and we'll be shifting to that as our "primary" connection in Seattle. More importantly, we now have a 1Gbps L2 connection between the offices. I'm waiting on Microwave wireless to be installed but have no idea when, if ever it's going to actually happen. It's going on 4 months since ordering and it sounds like they're running into a bureaucracy of trying to change out equipment on a building they need to bounce their signal off of to get to us. We're supposed to be getting 100Mbps burstable to 1Gbps. My plan is to use our Sophos firewall to route all non-business critical, or high bandwidth traffic over the Microwave, leaving things like VPN traffic to the fiber. Portland internet will go over the L2 fiber to Seattle, then out over the Microwave.

Anyway, I'm hoping to replace our core switches, which are old and lovely:
* Netgear GSM7248 - Internet, Servers)
* HP Procurve 2530-48G - iSCSI and vMotion
* 2x Netgear GS748TS - data drops

CDW quoted me a HP 5406R v3 switch, with dual PSU’s and four 24 port expansion cards, shipping and tax, it comes in at 15.5K. I want the layer 3 routing capabilities so that I can route between vlans and subnets that I will be creating to take the processing load off of the firewall. Is this switch overkill, or right around the ballpark I should be looking at?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

goobernoodles posted:

~*~butt firewall~*~

How does this even work? It makes no sense to me that you could keep the device for separating you from the internet out on the internet instead of being part of your network.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Dunno if this is the right place to ask. A friend of mine who works at a small business (<20 people) in the DC area is looking to outsource IT. Any recommendations on firms? Mac & Windows.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

How does this even work? It makes no sense to me that you could keep the device for separating you from the internet out on the internet instead of being part of your network.

Your connections back to your provider aren't internet - you essentially extend your LAN into the MPLS cloud of your provider, and then provision internet at that point. It was great if you have a bunch of sites and need low bandwidth but low latency connections to each one, and for it to be part of your corporate network for VoIP or RDS etc. In a lot of instances a 'good' broadband connection (VDSL etc.) with a decent way of managing site-to-site VPN tunnels will do just as good a job.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 22, 2015

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Thanks Ants posted:

Your connections back to your provider aren't internet - you essentially extend your LAN into the MPLS cloud of your provider, and then provision internet at that point. It was great if you have a bunch of sites and need low bandwidth but low latency connections to each one, and for it to be part of your corporate network for VoIP or RDS etc. In a lot of instances a 'good' broadband connection (VDSL etc.) with a decent way of managing site-to-site VPN tunnels will do just as good a job.
It's pure dog poo poo. Never again. The firewall portal is ungodly slow. One of my biggest reasons for bringing it back in house is that it's at BEST a 20 minute endeavor just to edit/create and commit a firewall policy change. For me anyway, dicking around with firewalls is usually a bit of trial and error until I get things functioning the way I want, which means what should be a 15-30 minute task easily gets blown into something I simply don't have time for and end up calling their understaffed support team.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

goobernoodles posted:

It's pure dog poo poo. Never again. The firewall portal is ungodly slow. One of my biggest reasons for bringing it back in house is that it's at BEST a 20 minute endeavor just to edit/create and commit a firewall policy change. For me anyway, dicking around with firewalls is usually a bit of trial and error until I get things functioning the way I want, which means what should be a 15-30 minute task easily gets blown into something I simply don't have time for and end up calling their understaffed support team.

Yikes, I sit by our networking guys and they get irritated when it takes 5 minutes. I can't imagine what that is like for you.

BTW - Are you in PDX or SEA?

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

kensei posted:

Yikes, I sit by our networking guys and they get irritated when it takes 5 minutes. I can't imagine what that is like for you.

BTW - Are you in PDX or SEA?
Yeah I pretty much try to not do anything with the firewall unless I absolutely have to. I'm in Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Had a very optimistic first round of interviews with another company, where I was told by the VP I interviewed with that they were looking to create a new role for me not bound by any of the current departments, so that I can have the freedom to work on the most important and critical projects and drive each department towards accomplishing those goals. I was not really expecting this when I first came in, but it sounds challenging and exciting.

Second round comes tomorrow for the more technical side, one of the slots with a pure software engineer. Should be good times.