Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

MustardFacial posted:

UK trip day 3.

I just arrived in Leicester with the in-laws. This is my first access to the internet since I got here, and I feel like I've been camping. More family to visit today, then the wife and I are going to Manchester for a wedding and on the way back will be going to Birmingham and Wolverhampton to visit more family. I drove past the Heritage Motor Museum in Gaydon and imagined what it would be like to visit it.

Maybe one day.

Pop into the Coventry Motor Museum if you have time.
It's free and has plenty of stuff to look at.
Leicester is decent to look around too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

bandman posted:

So my mom had a mammogram a couple weeks ago and they found something that they biopsied last week. Mom got the results today, and they were not good. Cancer. They're doing some more tests to determine the next steps.

gently caress cancer, man.
Went through this many years ago with my Mom, rough but with the recent medical advances the outlook is usually pretty good when it's caught early. :glomp:

some texas redneck posted:

4 days sober. :toot:

Tomorrow afternoon I'm enrolling in an 8 week intensive outpatient rehab. I've also been granted a leave of absence from school.
Well done man, the rehab should really help. Worth the money/time if it can clean you up and you'll be much happier with life once it's over.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'd be lying if I didn't give serious thought to grabbing a 12 pack on my way home from work today.

e: goddamnit, I'm hungry, and have blood work in 8 1/2 hours....
e2: why is it when you quit a really heavy drinking habit you feel like eating until you're the size of Jabba the Hut? I've had 4 loving meals today (including nearly an entire pizza), and I'm still starving. My stomach physically hurts from the sudden onslaught of food.

Holy poo poo I thought that was just me. I'm trying to wean myself from a bottle+ wine a night and I'm down to three glasses and I feel like I'm starving and in a bitch mood all day. The stomach pain also is there. WTF? Also, gently caress cancer. I had a scare last year thinking I had lymphoma because all the symptoms pointed at it, but I came up negative. It was so awful confronting your mortality every day.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Like, the beer Labatt? Could be interesting. Srirachi, curry and cayenne, definitely.

yeah, it's really fuckin good

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I already drink tons of water, but my thirst is even greater now.

So.. 8am doctor's appointment. Office hours on the door say they open at 7:30. Place is locked up and nobody is here, what the hell?

E:looks like I'm not the only one. 4 other people have tried to walk in now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MustardFacial posted:

UK trip day 3.

I just arrived in Leicester with the in-laws. This is my first access to the internet since I got here, and I feel like I've been camping. More family to visit today, then the wife and I are going to Manchester for a wedding and on the way back will be going to Birmingham and Wolverhampton to visit more family. I drove past the Heritage Motor Museum in Gaydon and imagined what it would be like to visit it.

Maybe one day.

GO TO GAYDON! YOU NEED TO!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

IT TAKES LIKE 90 MINUTES TO GET ROUND. GOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

HERITAGE!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

lol FCA

edit: whoops i guess kastein beat me to it in the terrible car thread

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 21, 2015

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Keep at it STR, and when you think of what it cost now realize that it probably pays for itself within a couple months in saved booze costs. Good luck to all the goon moms, gently caress cancer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sister just texted me.

Mom's boyfriend also has cancer (it's a loving trend right now) and they're at the ER, things have taken a turn for the worse. I don't post about it because I have enough terrible poo poo in my life and I feel like I'm looking for sympathy I don't deserve but it really sounds like our lives are going to go swirly.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

You know, going into work an hour early is all fun and games until you realize you gotta go to bed when it's still bright outside.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

4 days sober. :toot:

Tomorrow morning I'm getting bloodwork done and possible medication adjustment by a new doctor (office staff at my old doctor pissed me off too much - always wanted proof that I had paid my medical insurance before they would even let me schedule an appointment, couldn't stick a vein to save their lives to draw blood either). Tomorrow afternoon I'm enrolling in an 8 week intensive outpatient rehab. I've also been granted a leave of absence from school.

Paying for the IOP is going to be lovely, if I'm reading my benefits sheet right it's going to be $30 per visit.... 3 times a week.. for 8 weeks. That's gonna hurt.

Finally got around to installing the SSD that the spyder sent me - laptop is a hell of a lot faster now.

Awesome, STR. You can do this!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

GO TO GAYDON! YOU NEED TO!

Yeah come visit me at work and stare in amazement at my spreadsheet of parts 2 buy this week while still doing work

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

Mom's boyfriend also has cancer (it's a loving trend right now) and they're at the ER, things have taken a turn for the worse. I don't post about it because I have enough terrible poo poo in my life and I feel like I'm looking for sympathy I don't deserve but it really sounds like our lives are going to go swirly.
What is this the third cancer case to pop up this month? drat man sorry to hear, hope they can pull through whatever has them in the ER right now.

:fuckoff:July

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You know, going into work an hour early is all fun and games until you realize you gotta go to bed when it's still bright outside.
Blackout curtains are good for this, I still need to get a set. I'm a big baby so I go to bed at 8-8:30 most nights, sun doesn't set until ~9:30 or so.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah come visit me at work and stare in amazement at my spreadsheet of parts 2 buy this week while still doing work

That's just working smart.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Tusen Takk posted:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

lol FCA

edit: whoops i guess kastein beat me to it in the terrible car thread

Just came here to post this actually. I figured it would happen eventually.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
3 weeks without a cigarette. 2 weeks without breads, sugars (except my coffee), pastas, and rices. 14 lbs down. :woop:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tide posted:

3 weeks without a cigarette. 2 weeks without breads, sugars (except my coffee), pastas, and rices. 14 lbs down. :woop:

But losing weight is impossible! :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Tide posted:

So potatoes, meat and veg then?

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
Is Rockauto's return policy any good? My brick and mortar place I use here is now charging 3 times the price.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Marauder Stig posted:

Is Rockauto's return policy any good? My brick and mortar place I use here is now charging 3 times the price.

RockAuto is pretty good with it. The only complaint I've had is the cost of shipping it back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Marauder Stig posted:

Very good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I really, really, really want to hear justification for why someone would ever buy a Chrysler product now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Phone posted:

I really, really, really want to hear justification for why someone would ever buy a Chrysler product now.

Does this work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNYLbdbsnU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No, it doesn't.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Phone posted:

so I can customize my firmware OTA and turn it into a really loving sweet remote control car? I bet you can even watch the rearview camera while controlling the steering, brakes, and throttle in reverse. Would make hitching a trailer up so simple, just use your phone as a controller and hitch the trailer up before getting out of bed.

It's like sub7, it's not a vulnerability it's just an unauthorized remote management tool.

(I actually knew people who used sub7 on their own machines because it was more powerful than most other remote sys management software available at the time.)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

I'm still planning on getting a Challenger, I haven't seen anything else that fits my needs nearly as well.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Ok guys, time to talk me out of switching careers from IT to auto technician at 30 years old. Ready: GO!

Phone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6AXjNcTPU sure would do it for me. Modern Mopar stuff (Hellcat notwithstanding) hasn't really done much for me, but boy, do I wanna get me one of those.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

scuz posted:

Ok guys, time to talk me out of switching careers from IT to auto technician at 30 years old. Ready: GO!

At 30 unless you have a mortgage or family to worry about, do it now while you don't have those things? I don't know.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

At 30 unless you have a mortgage or family to worry about, do it now while you don't have those things? I don't know.
Have a mortgage, but also have a deep, deep apathy for my chosen career. More specifically, I'm looking for those of you who are working on cars for a living to provide me with tales of woe on the job so that I stop whining and stick with my current gig.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

Have a mortgage, but also have a deep, deep apathy for my chosen career. More specifically, I'm looking for those of you who are working on cars for a living to provide me with tales of woe on the job so that I stop whining and stick with my current gig.

Your hobby and interest always looks like a good career change, until you actually do it and the horrible reality of grinding away on a daily basis turns your once-precious hobby into yet another dreary, lovely, wearying job. Except moving from IT to auto repair, you're gonna be making less money, it's gonna be harder on your body, and it's a bit harder to move back in the opposite direction.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

Your hobby and interest always looks like a good career change, until you actually do it and the horrible reality of grinding away on a daily basis turns your once-precious hobby into yet another dreary, lovely, wearying job. Except moving from IT to auto repair, you're gonna be making less money, it's gonna be harder on your body, and it's a bit harder to move back in the opposite direction.
Bam, that's what I'm talking about.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

Bam, that's what I'm talking about.

Do what the smart guys here do; get a place with no HOA and a decent sized backyard, build a nice garage, throw in a lift or two, get shop air, some big fans, a creeper, and a rolling toolbox and work on poo poo at your leisure for fun. Maybe let your friends come over and use the space, until you get tired of being roped into "helping" with their repair projects and being paid in beer. Keep your day job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

Yup. This. I'd hate working on my cars if I had to do it every day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you work on cars for a living you will grow to hate cars.

You will do oil changes that pay 1/2 hour whether they take 15 minutes or an hour because the last guy mangled the plug and you have to order a replacement (flat rate is loving bullshit).

You will kill yourself trying to slap everything together at the last minute because "the customer needs it NOW i don't care that the parts truck is just now arriving".

Depending on your state's safety inspection situation, you will periodically have to slap together the remains of what used to be a functional suspension/brake caliper and watch the customer drive away in their deathtrap, hoping to god the waiver you made them sign is enough to remove your liability in case it kills someone.

You will work 40-50 hours a week, in sweltering heat, in an environment where you gradually turn your personal car's interior into a superfund site. E: And sometimes only get paid for 20 of those hours (flat rate is loving bullshit).

Depending where you work you will be constantly pressured by management to upsell all sorts of services, replace parts on a store-dictated mileage interval instead of manufacturer specs, talk to customers face to face to explain why they need this $1500 of services they don't need, meet the same time deadline for a job no matter what unique challenges a particular vehicle poses (why yes, a dually with 6 150 lb wheel-tire assemblies takes just as much time to change tires on as a civic with 14 inch rims), get told to bend over backwards for customer satisfaction often at great personal financial loss, have to finance your own tools because lol we neither pay for your tools nor pay you enough to buy them outright (flat rate is loving bullshit)

you get the picture.

Get an old commuter car or pickup truck and wrench on it in your spare time, you'll get all the satisfaction with none of the bullshit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

My dad was a mechanic and has alot of mechanic friends. The poo poo just grinds away at you until eventually what was the novelty and magic of working on a car is now a monotonous daily task that you're destroying your body for to put food on the table. I only know of one guy that was a mechanic over the age of 50 that still has a genuine love of cars and his current job now that he's in his late 60s is sitting on a stool identifying parts in a junkyard because he can't do anything else.

Do what I did when I considered going into auto repair in university, pay way too much for some lovely 30 year old project car that is beyond saving and try and bring it back. Even when my Scirocco has some bizarre poo poo going wrong I'm fairly confident it gives me more joy than doing the 7th oil change of the day ever would.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

Do what the smart guys here do; get a place with no HOA and a decent sized backyard, build a nice garage, throw in a lift or two, get shop air, some big fans, a creeper, and a rolling toolbox and work on poo poo at your leisure for fun. Maybe let your friends come over and use the space, until you get tired of being roped into "helping" with their repair projects and being paid in beer. Keep your day job.
Minus the shop air, I have all of these things! I don't have plans on getting a lift since the missus kinda vetoed that (I don't blame her).

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. This. I'd hate working on my cars if I had to do it every day.
Come to think of it, computers were kinda fun til I had someone telling me what to do and when to do it...

Enourmo posted:

If you work on cars for a living you will grow to hate cars.

You will do oil changes that pay 1/2 hour whether they take 15 minutes or an hour because the last guy mangled the plug and you have to order a replacement (flat rate is loving bullshit).

You will kill yourself trying to slap everything together at the last minute because "the customer needs it NOW i don't care that the parts truck is just now arriving".

Depending on your state's safety inspection situation, you will periodically have to slap together the remains of what used to be a functional suspension/brake caliper and watch the customer drive away in their deathtrap, hoping to god the waiver you made them sign is enough to remove your liability in case it kills someone.

You will work 40-50 hours a week, in sweltering heat, in an environment where you gradually turn your personal car's interior into a superfund site. E: And sometimes only get paid for 20 of those hours (flat rate is loving bullshit).

Depending where you work you will be constantly pressured by management to upsell all sorts of services, replace parts on a store-dictated mileage interval instead of manufacturer specs, talk to customers face to face to explain why they need this $1500 of services they don't need, meet the same time deadline for a job no matter what unique challenges a particular vehicle poses (why yes, a dually with 6 150 lb wheel-tire assemblies takes just as much time to change tires on as a civic with 14 inch rims), get told to bend over backwards for customer satisfaction often at great personal financial loss, have to finance your own tools because lol we neither pay for your tools nor pay you enough to buy them outright (flat rate is loving bullshit)

you get the picture.

Get an old commuter car or pickup truck and wrench on it in your spare time, you'll get all the satisfaction with none of the bullshit.
Sounds like my retail days, minus the "someone might die" bits. I have an old pickup that I was planning on souping-up for no damned reason other than "I can!"

Thanks, AI, you guys are the best :glomp:

1500quidporsche posted:

My dad was a mechanic and has alot of mechanic friends. The poo poo just grinds away at you until eventually what was the novelty and magic of working on a car is now a monotonous daily task that you're destroying your body for to put food on the table. I only know of one guy that was a mechanic over the age of 50 that still has a genuine love of cars and his current job now that he's in his late 60s is sitting on a stool identifying parts in a junkyard because he can't do anything else.

Do what I did when I considered going into auto repair in university, pay way too much for some lovely 30 year old project car that is beyond saving and try and bring it back. Even when my Scirocco has some bizarre poo poo going wrong I'm fairly confident it gives me more joy than doing the 7th oil change of the day ever would.
My dad was a mechanic, too. He's a preacher now and still loves working on cars, but that's probably cuz he hasn't been doing it for the last 40 years. When he was in high school and on the farm, he traded his '67 Charger for 3 heifers. The bozo he traded the car to totaled it a month later. One of my bucket list items is to find a clapped-out '67 Charger and restore it before he's too old to drive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Actually if you want a simple reason, just remember that 14 INCH is a career mechanic.

(i aint hatin on ya 14, just saying it does strange things to a man)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Being the guy that bills out book time, flat rate sucks and I'd never be a tech for a living. It would also kill my enjoyment of working on cars too

Never make your hobbies your profession because you'll just end up growing to hate it and be burned out on it

• Locked thread