Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
/r/Gunners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

blue footed boobie posted:

Szcz to Roma is apparently a thing.

Nothing about this in our media and they'd be all over a story like this if there was any credence to the rumour

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Can't believe the new Reddit CEO is letting this one stick around after Charleston.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Best place to go if you wanna see people go crazy over twitter rumors.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
lorra people are gonna get their hearts broken when benzema doesnt come for 100m

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Akileese posted:

Best place to go if you wanna see people go crazy over twitter rumors.

They've been absolutely rabid over muzzy ozcan for weeks now.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
It seems Przegląd Sportowy, which is a somewhat reliable source for transfer news, is now running with Szczęsny to Roma on loan.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I have to say, there have been a lot of sensible purchases this window. All English clubs are spending and they're all bringing in quality players in positions they need. I'm kinda hankering for some retarded Carroll like transfers tbh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ewar Woowar posted:

I have to say, there have been a lot of sensible purchases this window. All English clubs are spending and they're all bringing in quality players in positions they need. I'm kinda hankering for some retarded Carroll like transfers tbh.

Its too early in the window for that, need to wait until it gets closer to deadline day

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Ewar Woowar posted:

damien comolli is out of a job and 'arry isn't around either

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Spangly A posted:

We need another striker so I don't think so. Carroll is out again and there's now nobody in the club who thinks he isn't a useless waste of money, so Payet/Jarvis/Amalfitano/Zarate/Sakho/Valencia/Lanzini are expected to cover the front 8. Unless we give major squad time to youth teamers, that's not really enough to secure a european place, especially with the added games.

If Carroll gets fit and we land either Destro, Gervinho or Llorrente (none of whom I can see coming here) then maybe.

I can see us trying to ship out Zarate but it all depends on whether or not we can get another striker in. If it's 3 behind a lone striker, Valencia will probably be used on the wing (Samuelsen appears to be a lot better than people thought so he will probably be used as cover for the wing as well) so striking options are Sakho, Zarate and Lee. Remy's going nowhere and neither is Hernandez unless LvG buys his secret striker so it looks like we'll keep Zarate.

Al Jazira have confirmed on their twitter that the deal for Lanzini is done but won't bold until West Ham confirm it

https://twitter.com/AlJazira_uae/status/623575457032761344

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ewar Woowar posted:

I think the only top 6/7/8 team that hasn't pretty much finished their business in a nice tidy fashion so far is Spurs. They seem to be shipping out plenty of players but aren't really replacing them with anyone, so there's a possibility there for some insanity.

That being said, we're about to spend £32m on Benteke (which is £16m up front and the rest in instalments by the way), and United might go and spunk £100m on Muller or something.

pdog
May 7, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

I think the only top 6/7/8 team that hasn't pretty much finished their business in a nice tidy fashion so far is Spurs. They seem to be shipping out plenty of players but aren't really replacing them with anyone, so there's a possibility there for some insanity.

That being said, we're about to spend £32m on Benteke (which is £16m up front and the rest in instalments by the way), and United might go and spunk £100m on Muller or something.

I think you'll find we are Top 5 actually.
:smug:

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

EvilHawk posted:

united will spend another 75m at least this season on two (2) players

chelsea will buy another quality player (looking like that left back)

arse will buy at least one more

and i can't see city being finished

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Real Madrid and PSG are surely going to have some big money acquisitions before the window is through.

I just hope neither of them go hard after Pogba.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

The quietest subreddit.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah City are definitely going to spend a poo poo load more. Probably a striker and a centre back I would imagine. United need the same and will probably spend a similar amount.

Arsenal and Chelsea will probably bring in one player each as their squads are pretty settled. A forward for the former and a defender for the latter.

Liverpool will bring in Benteke and maybe another central midfielder but I think that will depend on what happens with Lucas and Joe Allen. I can't see Joe being sold and Lucas has been doing some insane pre season fitness work so I would imagine both are staying.

I have no idea what Tottenham are doing. They're looking pretty short of quality in every department bar centre mid and centre back. Given their reluctance to spend huge amounts it wouldn't surprise me if they relied a lot on their youth a lot this season.

Newcastle have made a couple of big signings but look thin at the back. Taylor might be fit again but it's debatable whether he can stay that way. They should be a lot better this season than last but who knows with McClaren in charge.

Stoke and Palace have both been pretty ambitious this window but a change in style for both teams might cause some issues.

Of the promoted teams only Norwich have yet to really spend. Their squad hasn't changed dramatically from the last time they were up so it might benefit them to keep the same group of players. They're probably short a quality striker though.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Ewar Woowar posted:

City bought Raheem Sterling for £49m like a week ago. If that's a sensible, well thought out transaction then I'm really out of touch with the transfer market.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

trem_two posted:

Real Madrid and PSG are surely going to have some big money acquisitions before the window is through.

I just hope neither of them go hard after Pogba.

perez hates black people so that's not happening

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Masonity posted:

The quietest subreddit.

:golfclap:

In all seriousness, Szczesny on loan makes sense. He needs games as opposed to sitting on the bench and Ospina is a more than capable backup keeper. Would Szczesny be an improvement over whoever Roma's current #1 is?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hoops posted:

City bought Raheem Sterling for £49m like a week ago. If that's a sensible, well thought out transaction then I'm really out of touch with the transfer market.

Yeah that's pretty loving retarded but at least Sterling is a good player with huge potential. It's not Carroll or David Luiz level of insanity.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Akileese posted:

In all seriousness, Szczesny on loan makes sense. He needs games as opposed to sitting on the bench and Ospina is a more than capable backup keeper. Would Szczesny be an improvement over whoever Roma's current #1 is?

dont think so, he looked good against man city just now

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah that's pretty loving retarded but at least Sterling is a good player with huge potential. It's not Carroll or David Luiz level of insanity.
That's a bit of hindsight wisdom with Carroll. He was a hugely rated prospect before he came to Liverpool and was such complete garbage. Spurs bid £25m for big Andy the summer before Liverpool bought him.

Edit: I mean, paying 35 for Carroll then is more mental than paying 49 for Sterling now, but there's not such a big gulf, it's more down to perspective

Hoops fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 21, 2015

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The last big lad to have success at Liverpool was Crouch and he was unceremoniously dumped when Torres rocked up, experiments with large strikers post-Crouch have ended in tears and I expect Benteke to go the same way, as they are usually crowbarred into the system rather than played in a system built around their strengths.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
carroll had 11 goals in half a season of prem football and perhaps double that in the championship, the whole thing was ridiculous

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Akileese posted:

I doubt it, De Sanctis has his flaws but he's still very good. Is it with an option to buy? The only thing I can think of is Roma wanting a new keeper because both of theirs are old.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Mirror and BBC are reporting that the United mystery striker has been revealed as Llorente. I don't follow Italian football much, how is he?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Akileese posted:

De Sanctis is ok, he's old as hell though.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Mirror and BBC are reporting that the United mystery striker has been revealed as Llorente. I don't follow Italian football much, how is he?

old

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

I doubt it, De Sanctis has his flaws but he's still very good. Is it with an option to buy? The only thing I can think of is Roma wanting a new keeper because both of theirs are old.

De Sanctis is ancient.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

The rumors are that Arsenal want it to be a 2 year loan, but Roma want it to be an outright purchase. I wonder if all this could be a precursor to Arsenal signing Romagnoli? I'm speculating wildly here. No actual sources.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Reminder that a multitude of Liverpool fans rationalized Andy Carroll as "Torres minus £15m," including some Liverposters on this very forum.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Akileese posted:

The rumors are that Arsenal want it to be a 2 year loan, but Roma want it to be an outright purchase. I wonder if all this could be a precursor to Arsenal signing Romagnoli? I'm speculating wildly here. No actual sources.

Nice fanfic

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hoops posted:

That's a bit of hindsight wisdom with Carroll. He was a hugely rated prospect before he came to Liverpool and was such complete garbage. Spurs bid £25m for big Andy the summer before Liverpool bought him.

Edit: I mean, paying 35 for Carroll then is more mental than paying 49 for Sterling now, but there's not such a big gulf, it's more down to perspective

He was an at best 5m player blown up to Torres levels of money because Liverpool was in the business of making bad business (and still is).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ape Gone Insane posted:

old, poo poo

dkj posted:

De Sanctis is ancient.

Eh, he's a keeper. I think he's the same age as Buffon.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Reminder that a multitude of Liverpool fans rationalized Andy Carroll as "Torres minus £15m," including some Liverposters on this very forum.

I don't think anyone has said that in any seriousness.

Carroll was a massive mistake by a manager with outdated ideas.

To be fair to Carroll he is actually a much better footballer than people give him credit and if he actually stayed fit at Liverpool he probably would have been a decent option for us.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The last big lad to have success at Liverpool was Crouch and he was unceremoniously dumped when Torres rocked up, experiments with large strikers post-Crouch have ended in tears and I expect Benteke to go the same way, as they are usually crowbarred into the system rather than played in a system built around their strengths.

The only similarity between Carroll and Benteke is that they're both good in the air. Benteke has a lot more strings to his bow.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

I don't think anyone has said that in any seriousness.
1) Nah, we did. Have to take that one.

Healbot posted:

He was an at best 5m player blown up to Torres levels of money because Liverpool was in the business of making bad business (and still is).
2) This is wrong, as objectively evidenced by the aforementioned big gently caress off bid from a different club (that at that point had less money).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

De Sanctis has both cost and won Roma points, while struggling for consistency. Not sure if bringing Sczny will provide anything different.

• Locked thread