Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gillingham posted:

This sounds like a terrible idea, but I guess it's your sanity.

The average commute in America is around 30 minutes each way, I wonder how long the trip on the 101 takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

The average commute in America is around 30 minutes each way, I wonder how long the trip on the 101 takes.

A lot less on a bike than in a car!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just rounded a corner on a rural road to see a City of Louisville pickup truck barreling towards me COMPLETELY on the wrong side of the road. I turned around and followed him to get his ID number from the back. I called the police and they refused to take a report.

gently caress this loving city gently caress gently caress gently caress.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

revmoo posted:

Just rounded a corner on a rural road to see a City of Louisville pickup truck barreling towards me COMPLETELY on the wrong side of the road. I turned around and followed him to get his ID number from the back. I called the police and they refused to take a report.

Call the city office or visit in person and file a complaint.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

revmoo posted:

If they won't take a report for attempted manslaughter they might not tale one for premeditated murder. You know what to do. :unsmigghh:

I realized the other day that I spend almost as much time yelling at traffic as that one crazy Brazilian dude. :ohdear:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

What's the most goony-CA way to gopro on your bike? Your head?

Unrelated: anyone use moto-GPS unit, or figure out how to use google maps on a cell phone?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Infinotize posted:

Unrelated: anyone use moto-GPS unit, or figure out how to use google maps on a cell phone?

Chin mount is popular here but it looks a bit silly to me, just go with tellytubby-style (top of the head).

To use Google Maps on a cell phone, search the address you want to go to and hit "Navigate"... not sure what else you need to know. Obviously you'll need either a mount for the phone so you can see the screen or a bluetooth speaker system to hear the turn-by-turn - both for preference but if you want only one the bluetooth is the way to go. Sena and Cardo are both really good, or the cheap way is a wired speaker set.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Whenever I've needed it I use CoPilot GPS for Android on my phone, stick it in my pocket and hook up a single ear security style headphone; mileage will vary depending how quick it informs you of upcoming turns.

Side mounting a camera makes you look a bit of a goob, but looks a bit more purposeful than teletubby style top mounting. Besides most days in the work elevator somebody is always interested in the camera, rarely the bike.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Infinotize posted:

If you're helmet mounting gopro isn't a very good choice, Drift or another more stream lined form is better.

vs

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
The latter one looks surprisingly less goony than I thought a helmet cam would be. Are they any good?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

The latter one looks surprisingly less goony than I thought a helmet cam would be. Are they any good?

Yeah, I've got a Drift Ghost S and it's great - fantastic quality, especially in low light, decent battery life. The only downsides are that the mount is a bit bulky (although not compared to a GoPro) and they're a bit finicky with memory cards.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If you want a slim camera, there's also the Replay 1080 Mini:

http://www.replayxd.com/product/1080-mini/

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you want a slim camera, there's also the Replay 1080 Mini:

http://www.replayxd.com/product/1080-mini/

of which I own one and its fantastic.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Almost zero drag with this one.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Digital_Jesus posted:

of which I own one and its fantastic.

It says it's waterproof, but how well does it stand up to heavy rain or longer rides in the rain?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

No. 6 posted:

Almost zero drag with this one.

How is the recording time and battery life? Does it do everything you want it to? Should I just shut up and go read the helmet cam thread instead?

Edit
That's an awesome looking helmet, btw. Love the yellow visor with it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Chichevache posted:

How is the recording time and battery life? Does it do everything you want it to? Should I just shut up and go read the helmet cam thread instead?

It has about a 2 hour battery life when shooting video and can use up to a 32gb card (4.5 hours of 1080 video). It also does bluetooth, FM radio, and full communicator with all other motorcycle communicators. So yes, you can hear your navigation using this. It's a Sena 10c. http://www.sena.com/product/10c/

Edit: here is a quick test video I did. I allowed Youtube to smooth out the jerkiness. It has some slow roads and some highway footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbLbsHQrMhw

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 20, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Thanks for that, No. 6! A commute without lanesplitting and filtering looks loving horrific!

The sound and video were fantastic. I'll consider the Sena when I finally get a helmet camera. Can you delete video from the unit itself, or do you have to plug it into a computer every time you want to do any editing?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

No, unfortunately all file management needs to be done with the Micro SD card in a computer of sorts. I suppose you could use the built-in format feature to wipe it clean, but you can't select individual files.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

No. 6 posted:

No, unfortunately all file management needs to be done with the Micro SD card in a computer of sorts. I suppose you could use the built-in format feature to wipe it clean, but you can't select individual files.

drat. I mainly want it as protection in case of an accident or a psychotic driver. So I will probably be erasing days of useless footage before coming across something worth saving. I'd like to be able to do that every time I hop off my bike, instead of every time I pull the SD card and use a computer. It isn't a deal breaker, but it is a PITA.

~☆~☆first world problems☆~☆~

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

What you're wanting is a video tagging feature, something the drift and go pro do, at least the newer ones. You put it in tagging mode, and it records continuously but will overwrite itself. Set the duration you want, and when something happens you want to save, you hit the record button on the drift remote (don't know about the gopro) it will save the previous 5 mins, and the next 5 minutes, or whatever you set it to.

I don't know if the sena does, doubt it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Thanks! The Ghost looks like my favorite option so far, but it will probably be a month or so before I get one. Plenty of time for me to do more research.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Sena has video tagging. When turned on it constantly is recording and overwriting itself and when you see something, you press a button and it will capture 90 seconds previous and 90 seconds in the future.

I personally don't like that because if some rear end in a top hat knocks me off my bike, I don't want to deal with pressing anything to capture the footage.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

It says it's waterproof, but how well does it stand up to heavy rain or longer rides in the rain?

I haven't gotten caught in the rain with it yet. I guess I could toss it in the sink when I get home.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

It's outdoors every time she rides it :v: Bike has 64000 commuting and touring miles, so yeah it's been out a lot. We have some after market pads picked out from Motorcycle Superstore and you just helped me realize that she had trouble finding those and I had to look them up, so lo and behold there's cheaper rear brake rotors too. Thanks for the gut check.

And now that she's researched the throttle cable replacement procedure, it's going into the shop for it.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
We just had a severe shower, roads are still slick and its rush hour? Better gently caress around with my phone while driving and rear end the car in front of me at 40mph! I'm sure the idiot on the motorcycle behind me won't mind.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We need Judge Dredd-like death patrols that specifically look for people who dick around on their phones while driving.

No arrest, no trial. Just yank them out of the car, throw them on the ground and put two bullets in their head.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kill their children, burn their crops, salt their lands et al

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Do we have any lawyers here? How illegal would it be for my to use a helmet cam to tweet pictures of driver's caught in the act, along with their license plate numbers?

Is this just a sign of my own mental illness?

Is this preferable to me barking at them like a dog while bouncing on top of my bike like a deranged chimp?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Make 5-6 second videos of their license plate and then them using a phone in the car and tweet it to the local PD / SHP.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
As long as it matters. In FL it's only an accessory charge, you to already be busted doing something else for the cellphone to matter.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Springfield Fatts posted:

As long as it matters. In FL it's only an accessory charge, you to already be busted doing something else for the cellphone to matter.

*studies show texting is worse than drunk driving*

"ehhh, let's not bother to prosecute that"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Do we have any lawyers here? How illegal would it be for my to use a helmet cam to tweet pictures of driver's caught in the act, along with their license plate numbers?

Is this just a sign of my own mental illness?

Is this preferable to me barking at them like a dog while bouncing on top of my bike like a deranged chimp?

lmgtfy
http://www.quora.com/Department-of-Motor-Vehicles-California/Is-posting-someones-license-plate-information-online-illegal

Seems like the big issue from googling is people posting naked pictures. I would guess that your worst case scenario is getting some kind of nastygram from somebody's lawyer.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
No arrest, no trial.

- A million FB users ranting about motorcyclists, 7/20/15.

Honestly, the phones don't matter. They just occupy the #1 slot today, and it's a fickle public. If it wasn't the phones, it would be something else. In 20 years it'll be onboard fast food dispensers and automatic rear end wipers. If the robots still have a use for us.

You have to assume that these are all inanimate objects programmed to kill you. Like, say, the murdered out Ford Expedition I saw repeatedly using the right shoulder of the highway to pass traffic this morning (when it wasn't hyper tailgating and generally shoving everything smaller out of the way.) I've never, ever witnessed this from a non-emergency vehicle, and God help us if this catches on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To whomever it may concern,

I understand that roundabouts and their silly 'rules' are an annoying interruption of facebook browsing and tweeting for the majority of drivers, and I can understand how a relatively small object with only one light on the front might be difficult to see in broad daylight.

But you're a loving bus driver. It is literally your job, which you get paid money to do, to drive around in this huge dangerous thing without killing people. You are at work. How loving hard can it be to just look to the right before burying your gout-infested obese geriatric meatpaddle in the accelerator? It isn't even a matter of crap driving - it's a matter of professional standards. Because it's pretty loving hard to swerve to the right when you're already turning sharply to the motherfucking right.

Yours sincerely,

Burn All Buses And Put Their Drivers To Death, Esq.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

How loving hard can it be to just look to the right before burying your gout-infested obese geriatric meatpaddle in the accelerator?

What if he has a neck problem and can't look right, you insensitive biker, you?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Pope Mobile posted:

What if he has a neck problem and can't look right, you insensitive biker, you?

Yeah, jeez Slavvy, check your privilege.

That said, I'm with you. We don't really have roundabouts here (I think there are > 10 in Portland, for instance), but holy hell, people really don't know wtf to do when confronted with one. Ours have big-rear end signs, too! Like, "Stay right, you loving mook!" and such. Doesn't seem to help.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I understand that roundabouts and their silly 'rules' are an annoying interruption of facebook browsing and tweeting for the majority of drivers, and I can understand how a relatively small object with only one light on the front might be difficult to see in broad daylight.

They're adding roundabouts all over the place here. People are still stopping at the feeders.

Slavvy, you might have to mirror the video or something, I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZuAyU4h3uI

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Lynza posted:

Yeah, jeez Slavvy, check your privilege.

That said, I'm with you. We don't really have roundabouts here (I think there are > 10 in Portland, for instance), but holy hell, people really don't know wtf to do when confronted with one. Ours have big-rear end signs, too! Like, "Stay right, you loving mook!" and such. Doesn't seem to help.

There is one in the suburbs of Chicago that people have called "Suicide Circle" for the longest time, because it confuses and infuriates people who happen upon it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They're installing a lot of roundabouts around the Kitsap Peninsula near Seattle and my parents are going insane. It's hilarious. I like roundabouts.