Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Bel_Canto posted:

heyo liturgi-goons, so a friend's birthday is coming up and he said that he'd really like to get a book or two of Christian thought/theology. he's a latin-rite catholic like me, though from a much more conservative background. basically i'm thinking two books, one that's maybe an all-around solid historical treatment of the subject unlikely to raise any eyebrows, and one that might be a little more out there/radical, since he's starting to explore that kind of intellectual and spiritual territory on his own. any advice from the more theologically literate?

Well, for a historical account of the development of the church, the early councils, and the like (though only up to the early medieval period), Peter Brown's The Rise of Western Christendom is a classic and is really quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking as an Evangelical (even if I'm currently attending a Lutheran church), the last few pages have been utterly incomprehensible to me. The SBC's stance on the Trinity is "God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, but it honestly doesn't matter much, focus on the parts of the Bible applicable to people today."

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Speaking as an Evangelical (even if I'm currently attending a Lutheran church), the last few pages have been utterly incomprehensible to me. The SBC's stance on the Trinity is "God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, but it honestly doesn't matter much, focus on the parts of the Bible applicable to people today."

I'm an Anglican and TEC's position is barely comprehensible to me, as it is barely comprehensible to the majority of the Anglican Communion and the reason their communion is impaired with a majority of Anglicans.

There's all kinds of insanity going on, but when you get down to it, pretty much all Christian denominations and traditions these days have their own special brand of crazy. I mean they'd have to for goons to join them.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bel_Canto posted:

heyo liturgi-goons, so a friend's birthday is coming up and he said that he'd really like to get a book or two of Christian thought/theology. he's a latin-rite catholic like me, though from a much more conservative background. basically i'm thinking two books, one that's maybe an all-around solid historical treatment of the subject unlikely to raise any eyebrows, and one that might be a little more out there/radical, since he's starting to explore that kind of intellectual and spiritual territory on his own. any advice from the more theologically literate?

I dunno, if you gave him a book by like, Marcus Borg, do you think he'd be totally turned off?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

kirkegaard :getin:

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
You can never go wrong with Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica for a conservative Latin-Rite Catholic. It was a compendium of all of the main theological teachings of the Catholic Church.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

AmyL posted:

You can never go wrong with Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica for a conservative Latin-Rite Catholic. It was a compendium of all of the main theological teachings of the Catholic Church.

Sort of. We look back on it like that, but at the time of its publication it caused a stir and was seen as controversial. I think it's important to keep that in mind along with current theological developments and trends, as some of them may come to be seen as status quo as well.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Sort of. We look back on it like that, but at the time of its publication it caused a stir and was seen as controversial. I think it's important to keep that in mind along with current theological developments and trends, as some of them may come to be seen as status quo as well.

I agree but I figure that someone else in the thread will suggest something to balance it out which is why I suggested only one.

Catechism of the Catholic Church or Catholic Christianity?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
CCC is a good suggestion.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr. Wiggles posted:

CCC is a good suggestion.

possibly too close to the modern hierarchy, depending on what kind of trad he is

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

HEY GAL posted:

possibly too close to the modern hierarchy, depending on what kind of trad he is

the kind where he's had a copy of the CCC since grade school. he's interested more in academic theology, not official teaching documents.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hans urs von balthasar

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tielhard de Chardin.

Or Origen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Gilson, son. History of Christian Philosophy is pretty good if your friend is into academic stuff.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Karl Rahner :getin:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i don't know if he wrote any straight theology, but dietrich bonhoeffer is always a cool dude

p.s. i couldnt remember his name so i just typed "priest who tried to kill hitler" into google :c00l:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

On the Incarnation I guess

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Bonhoeffer is a fantastic theologian, and very good on Christology. He's got a lot of similarities with Barth, including that he can be extremely dry. But The Cost of Discipleship is readable and good, and dovetails very well with the own details of his life and death, and would make an excellent present.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I hadn't heard of Bonhoeffer before today, and it's fascinating to hear a Christian talk about living morally in circumstances where God and faith are inaccessible, or where people don't have the necessary capacity to believe, or even (although I'm sure I don't have the background to parse how literal he's being) where God might as well not exist at all.

On a related note, I've been reading the Catechism -- I'm an atheist, but I have a close friend who's Catholic and it's important to me to understand the faith's significance to her -- and it's raised some questions for me. I was impressed (though not surprised) to see how many of my objections as a non-believer were pre-emptively addressed, even if the majority of the answers wind back around to faith itself sooner or later.

I expect my objections are pretty mundane, so my questions are about faith itself -- if I understand correctly, faith is a supernatural gift from God which allows human beings to believe beyond the bounds of reason (although it doesn't conflict with reason, and the two can even support each other), no one is wholly exempt from, immune to, or incapable of faith, but at the same time it can't arise out of nothing -- there was a particularly striking part about how no one can come to it alone, that you need other people and tradition to get there.

Have I made any errors there? And, assuming I haven't, what is the basis -- whether scriptural, or the history of which council it was decided at, anything at all -- of the claim that no one is incapable of faith? I'm peripherally aware of some heresies that claim otherwise (I went on a Valentinian/Gnostic religious poetry kick a while back) so it sounds like there was once some room for argument, even if there isn't now. I'm especially curious if Catholic teaching says anything about the proper course of action and way of living for someone who has never experienced faith.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hadn't heard of Bonhoeffer before today, and it's fascinating to hear a Christian talk about living morally in circumstances where God and faith are inaccessible, or where people don't have the necessary capacity to believe, or even (although I'm sure I don't have the background to parse how literal he's being) where God might as well not exist at all.

On a related note, I've been reading the Catechism -- I'm an atheist, but I have a close friend who's Catholic and it's important to me to understand the faith's significance to her -- and it's raised some questions for me. I was impressed (though not surprised) to see how many of my objections as a non-believer were pre-emptively addressed, even if the majority of the answers wind back around to faith itself sooner or later.

I expect my objections are pretty mundane, so my questions are about faith itself -- if I understand correctly, faith is a supernatural gift from God which allows human beings to believe beyond the bounds of reason (although it doesn't conflict with reason, and the two can even support each other), no one is wholly exempt from, immune to, or incapable of faith, but at the same time it can't arise out of nothing -- there was a particularly striking part about how no one can come to it alone, that you need other people and tradition to get there.

Have I made any errors there? And, assuming I haven't, what is the basis -- whether scriptural, or the history of which council it was decided at, anything at all -- of the claim that no one is incapable of faith? I'm peripherally aware of some heresies that claim otherwise (I went on a Valentinian/Gnostic religious poetry kick a while back) so it sounds like there was once some room for argument, even if there isn't now. I'm especially curious if Catholic teaching says anything about the proper course of action and way of living for someone who has never experienced faith.

That seems mostly about right, though the non-Catholics in the thread may have some issues on the notion of faith. The basis is really Paul's letters, particularly those to the Romans and the Corinthians. The claim is popular in academic circles and does have some merit, that it is with Christianity and particularly with Paul that the notion of universalism comes into currency. Ancient pagans were perfectly capable of being cosmopolitan, of course, but that was more about tolerating difference, and it was pretty much given to them that people were different according to their particular ethnoi (something like ethnicity, but that doesn't quite line up with our modern notion) and social station. The apologists and then Eusebius carry the line further - Christians are the triton genos, the "third race," neither Jew nor Gentile, neither Greek nor Barbarian; whether you're Christian or not is supposed to trump all other determinations and anyone can become Christian.

Of course, there is some pushback against this idea centuries later, during European colonization; if the natives are capable of faith, you're kinda obligated to try to convert them; the argument sometimes is posed that they're not, so that the Europeans can go straight to the killing.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Faith can conflict with reason--it is seen as above reason, as in faith in the mystery of the trinity superseding the non-logic of the trinity. And you don't need other people, faith can be given just by the divine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Obdicut posted:

Faith can conflict with reason--it is seen as above reason, as in faith in the mystery of the trinity superseding the non-logic of the trinity. And you don't need other people, faith can be given just by the divine.

Maybe I misunderstood or over-generalized something explaining the need to spread specific articles of the faith (like Christ's divinity to people who'd never even heard of him, or what have you) as being about the experience itself. Either way, thank you both for your responses.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe I misunderstood or over-generalized something explaining the need to spread specific articles of the faith (like Christ's divinity to people who'd never even heard of him, or what have you) as being about the experience itself. Either way, thank you both for your responses.

Yeah, the faith of an uncontacted Amazonian tribesperson is going to be very different, but at the heart of it faith is accepting or submitting to whatever god has revealed to you, through whatever form. if it's through scripture that you've heard, that's cool, but even a dude in the middle of nowhere will, according to Catholic theology, have had some sign or contact from God and will be able to display faith in that way. It's going to be a much more abbreviated form of faith, though.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is this the passage you were talking about?:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church posted:

166 Faith is a personal act—the free response of the human person to the initiative of God who reveals himself. But faith is not an isolated act. No one can believe alone, just as no one can live alone. You have not given yourself faith as you have not given yourself life. The believer has received faith from others and should hand it on to others. Our love for Jesus and for our neighbor impels us to speak to others about our faith. Each believer is thus a link in the great chain of believers. I cannot believe without being carried by the faith of others, and by my faith I help support others in the faith.
I think it's meant in several senses. One, that faith is initiated by God, so by definition someone else is involved, not just the individual. Second, that it's not an individualistic pursuit, but is nurtured and carried out in a community of faith, where people work together to help each other understand and carry out God's will. Third, that the Catholic faith is a tradition, so what you receive has transmitted from person to person for centuries.

Does that help?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It does; that's exactly the one I was thinking of.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

hans urs von balthasar

You go Balthasar but no Yves M.J. Congar? :psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It does; that's exactly the one I was thinking of.

I'll add that it looks like that passage is not describing the idea of faith as a concept, but rather the act of a human acting upon what Christians consider a gift from God. This is where it gets tricky, since Christians differ upon the nature of this gift, how it is offered, and how it is accepted. More importantly for you, it doesn't actually address the question "what is faith", where the word "faith" is a noun (the catechism excerpt looks like it's using it as a verb). And even if it was discussing faith in terms of an abstract concept, this is one of those topics where there is likely to be a diversity of opinion within the Catholic Church (or any other intellectual denomination), simply due to the fact that theology is not usually expressed in terms of (say) mathematical proof, so there is a lot left over to argue and meditate about.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 23, 2015

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So basically just fake it until you make it? I can see that working.
Accepting the supernatual elements of the faith is where i struggle. I agree With the ethics and i am fascinated by the theology and the history. But do i really really genuinly feel like the miracles described in the OT and NT actually happened? For the moment i am unable to convice myself that these events really took place. And like Paul said. What is our faith if Christ did not actually rise?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Baudolino posted:

And like Paul said. What is our faith if Christ did not actually rise?

There are a number of theologians, including some Catholic clergy, who would argue that Christ rising is his Resurrection and that this can be mutually exclusive to his resuscitation. Some of these theologians argue that the Resurrection, Christ's rising from the dead, was a religio-spiritual event in the community of believers. (The Gospel's themselves make mention that the risen Christ was seen by believers.) They would argue that this experience of a Christ as still present in the community, even after his embarrassing death, is his rising. A corpse, so the argument goes, does not stop the Risen Christ from being with and in the community of the faithful.

I do not [technically] align with this mode of thinking, but it is demonstrative that a person with more "realistic" sensibilities can still participate in the life of faith.

Edit: I forgot the context in which your post was made, the discussion of faith as a concept in itself. Forgive my myopic response to your post.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

From my experience as a more conservative Latin rite Catholic:

GK Chesterton The Everlasting Man
St Augustine's Confessions
Dom Marmion Christ the Life of the Soul

And if you have $Texas to spend, Dom Gueranger the Liturgical Year [15 vol]

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Baudolino posted:

Accepting the supernatual elements of the faith is where i struggle. I agree With the ethics and i am fascinated by the theology and the history. But do i really really genuinly feel like the miracles described in the OT and NT actually happened? For the moment i am unable to convice myself that these events really took place. And like Paul said. What is our faith if Christ did not actually rise?

Contrary to Thirteen Orphans' post above, I do think that if Christ was not literally bodily raised from the dead - "resuscitated", as the sort of theologians he meant would dismissively put it - then Christianity is indeed nonsense. But I don't think you have to have had an emotional experience, or feel some sort of confident certainty, to accept that those events really took place; it's possible to come to a belief in a single omnipotent deity through reason alone, according to the Catholic Church, and if one already believes that a god exists, the miracles of the NT, at least, aren't impossible.

If belief in a god is rational, and the miracles aren't impossible, perhaps one could instead try to convince oneself that the Church is trustworthy (however you interpret capital-C Church), and that thus the gospels are trustworthy too.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Thirteen Orphans posted:

There are a number of theologians, including some Catholic clergy, who would argue that Christ rising is his Resurrection and that this can be mutually exclusive to his resuscitation. Some of these theologians argue that the Resurrection, Christ's rising from the dead, was a religio-spiritual event in the community of believers. (The Gospel's themselves make mention that the risen Christ was seen by believers.) They would argue that this experience of a Christ as still present in the community, even after his embarrassing death, is his rising. A corpse, so the argument goes, does not stop the Risen Christ from being with and in the community of the faithful.

This is my belief, more or less. Jesus's body got eaten by Jerusalem's feral dogs, but Christ (after 36 or so hours tearing around the afterlife, dissing death and slapping demons) appeared to his disciples. I lean towards this appearance being more spiritual than physical, but he's god he can do both or neither or whatever he likes best.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've always liked Chesterton's line that "I believe in miracles and I believe in man-eating tigers and I expect to see neither walking through the streets of London."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Baudolino posted:

the resurrection is not a physics equation. the bible was codified into its current form like a millenium before Francis Bacon invented the modern scientific method. do you get what I'm going for here?

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 27, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

StashAugustine posted:

I've always liked Chesterton's line that "I believe in miracles and I believe in man-eating tigers and I expect to see neither walking through the streets of London."

Would be handy, though. In both of those cases (London has had it too good for far too long).

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the resurrection is not a physics equation. the bible was codified into its current form like a millenium before Francis Bacon invented the modern scientific method. do you get what I'm going for here?

I don't think I follow.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

JcDent posted:

I don't think I follow.

none of the authors of the texts in the bible could have possibly intended their work to be interpreted according to our modern scientific method, because the modern scientific method has only been around for about five hundred years. thus, to interpret an event described in the bible literally and through a modern scientific lens, is to scrutinize a writer for something they would never have thought to account for in their work

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Just to make it super clear in case the Bishop finds out my SA name, I in no way think those theologians are correct, just that they exist and have a genuine faith journey they are exploring as well.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Lutha Mahtin posted:

none of the authors of the texts in the bible could have possibly intended their work to be interpreted according to our modern scientific method, because the modern scientific method has only been around for about five hundred years. thus, to interpret an event described in the bible literally and through a modern scientific lens, is to scrutinize a writer for something they would never have thought to account for in their work

I don't think the scientific method per se is relevant. It is not like they had no understanding of the physical world. Thomas putting his fingers in Christ's side, for example, suggests to me that the Resurrection had a clear physical component, in addition to the obvious metaphysical one.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Just to make it super clear in case the Bishop finds out my SA name, I in no way think those theologians are correct, just that they exist and have a genuine faith journey they are exploring as well.

Too late I've reported you to the Swiss Guard and Vatican Karate Gorillas have been dispatched to your location. You will pay for beliefs, witch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Black Bones posted:

Too late I've reported you to the Swiss Guard and Vatican Karate Gorillas have been dispatched to your location. You will pay for beliefs, witch!

I'll be ok, I've got names I'm willing to name.

• Locked thread