Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Some kind of white elephant recommendation exchange.

The trick would be making sure people got stuck with shows they hadn't watched before. I'll have to give the logistics some thought.

make everyone link their myanimelist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Has KyoAni ever made something that was a hit with goons after Nichijou?
Both Amagi and Euphonium were pretty popular.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP_cayWONgw
first youtube google result for chuuni kiss

also only good episode in season 2 was the sleeping competition
*kissed on purpose

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

thanks for the rec, kissmanga
heavy fucker would be an amazing username

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Just for fun, sometimes.

they were good robots, those robots.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

thanks for the rec, kissmanga

heavy fucker would be a good username.

edit: DAMMIT.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

That seems interesting. I know there's a ton of stuff that I haven't watched because I keep hearing are overly depressing (Grave of the Fireflies), make me cringe too hard to read (Onani Master Kurosawa), never felt the need to despite their near universal acclaim (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, NGE, LoGH, etc.), and so forth.

I have been trying to read some shounen ai / yaoi though after having avoided it for years. Only found 1 manga I liked so far. Granted, I haven't been looking very hard.

A lot of the decent BL manga are oneshots or one or two volumes at most, so they're usually not too big investments. If you want a suggestion, Slow Starter by Kei Ichikawa is very cute and just a handful of chapters.

I also liked 50 x 50 by Saika Kunieda, which is a good comedy where the two leads are both total idiots, but the ending doesn't really go anywhere and feels incomplete.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 22, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope the new thing harebrained schemes is doing is battletech tactics instead of crimson skies flight SIM but I het it's the latter.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Some kind of white elephant recommendation exchange.

The trick would be making sure people got stuck with shows they hadn't watched before. I'll have to give the logistics some thought.

i'll do it

i'll run it like i do my secret santa

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

A lot of the decent BL manga are oneshots or one or two volumes at most, so they're usually not too big investments. If you want a suggestion, Slow Starter by Kei Ichikawa is very cute and just a handful of chapters.

I also liked 50 x 50 by Saika Kunieda, which is a good comedy where the two leads are total idiots, but the ending doesn't really go anywhere and feels incomplete.

I'll give Slow Starter a try.

The one that I liked was Sonna Me de Mite Kure, which was hilarious and adorable from beginning to end, though I was initially sorta put off by the art.

I generally like my romance comedic and sweet like Truthism, Love/Death, and Honto no Kanojo. Stuff like Collectors is great too, though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i cant figure out the logistics

i'm still running the adtrw secret santa like i said i would in january

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

make everyone link their myanimelist

I think this would be the sanest way to go, tho it is real annoying to build one from scratch.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bad seafood you shoujld do the anime rec thing please

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say it'd be best if there were some kind of randomizer that would output a show from some kind of pre-loaded pool based on the inputted length/genre/etc., but I don't know enough about programming to know how feasible that would be.

e: Something like this or this but with anime.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 22, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Smoking Crow posted:

bad seafood you shoujld do the anime rec thing please
I will try.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can and will recommend anime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Get everyone to make a list of animes.

Write everyone's name on a separate slip of paper. Put them in a box.

Get a bunch of recommendations. Put them in another box (or a bag, if you only have the one box).

Take out a name.

Take out a recommendation. If the anime/manga is already on that person's list, then draw again. Repeat until you get something new.

Alternatively, etch the words "NICHIJOU" into a rock and repeatedly throw it at people's heads until they die / get the message.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

I'd say it'd be best if there were some kind of randomizer that would output a show from some kind of pre-loaded pool based on the inputted length/genre/etc., but I don't know enough about programming to know how feasible that would be.

I typed in Game of Thrones and got recommended the Sarantine Mosiac series, which I liked. This thing may be legit. Then again, I was introduced to both Game of Thrones and Sailing to Sarantium via my Fantasy and Horror course in university so maybe my professor deserves the credit.

Maybe I should read The Lions of Al-Rassan as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I think a secret santa-esque thing would be more fun since anyone can search semi-randomly and pull up dozens of things instantly, but having a personal recommendation can be cool.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

I think a secret santa-esque thing would be more fun since anyone can search semi-randomly and pull up dozens of things instantly, but having a personal recommendation can be cool.

I was thinking more that it would help streamline the whole assignment process, because I can imagine a personal case by case basis can get unwieldy with enough participants. I suppose the personalization is the whole point though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd rather read about rubeus hagrid, heavy fucker

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everyone recommend all the good anime. And some of the okay anime that you think is still worth watching.

Sharkopath posted:

I hope the new thing harebrained schemes is doing is battletech tactics instead of crimson skies flight SIM but I het it's the latter.

Probably, BT and games just have not been working out these past few years. At all.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

I'd rather read about rubeus hagrid, heavy fucker

Hagrid x Harry

Heavy and Hairy Harry Fucker

Strange Quark posted:

I also liked 50 x 50 by Saika Kunieda, which is a good comedy where the two leads are both total idiots, but the ending doesn't really go anywhere and feels incomplete.

Slow Starter was really good, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also thank you for liking my robots, Sharkopath.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh God the other shounen ai story by Kei Ichikawa is really cute too. Just finished the 1st chapter.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Everyone recommend all the good anime. And some of the okay anime that you think is still worth watching.

Princess Tutu

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Haruhi

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Dead Space: The Movie

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Probably, BT and games just have not been working out these past few years. At all.

Girls und Panzer

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Gunbuster.
Gunbuster
Gunbuster.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Chihayafuru, bitch

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nichijou

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am awakening to yaoi fever.

Soon I will consume all that is BL in this world.

All the fujioshi in this world will be unable to stop me. I probably weigh more than them combined.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Patlabor

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

All the fujioshi in this world will be unable to stop me. I probably weigh more than them combined.

Sure sounds like a Heavy Fucker.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes to the heavy, no to the loving.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://youtu.be/OtSgycsIh0s

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will draw stick figures that symbolize my favorite yaoi pairing and then have them do lewd things like hold hands in public and have their foreheads pressed against each other.

Jesus Christ is it hot in here?

Probably.

Summer is a bitch.

Mori Summer, however, is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I will draw stick figures that symbolize my favorite yaoi pairing and then have them do lewd things like hold hands in public and have their foreheads pressed against each other.

Jesus Christ is it hot in here?

Probably.

Summer is a bitch.

Mori Summer, however, is not.

Same but yuri

• Locked thread