Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pocket posted:

He's going to Sky so I need a new favourite rider that can win things because the Yates brothers are leaving me hanging, they are still the chillest dudes about it seems.

Moreno Moser if he leaves Garmin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Nairo Quintana

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I want to watch Sagan ride a wheelie up the Alp d'Huez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQCw7MaI-sU
Alternate angle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5rFZ9k0YfQ

It's such a joy to watch

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
moser is, indeed, pretty cool. as is viviani. cannondale only had enough coolness for 2 young dudes which is why sagan missed out.

as for sagan being better than my favuorite rider, thats impossible because my favourite rider is purito.

sigh. dark times ahead coz he cant be far off retirement.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
If we are to believe the data sky released, and the published data from these other riders then on that climb: (from CN forums)
Froome - 5.79/kg – winner, clean!
Gesink - 5.93/kg - lost 1:33
Adam Yates - 5.84/kg - lost 2:04
Ten dam - 5.5/kg - lost 4:25

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd go to Sky too, they have such high-quality stuff that you can become a GC contender no matter how poo poo you are. Maybe we will see Johan Van Summeren finishing top ten next year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

If we are to believe the data sky released, and the published data from these other riders then on that climb: (from CN forums)
Froome - 5.79/kg – winner, clean!
Gesink - 5.93/kg - lost 1:33
Adam Yates - 5.84/kg - lost 2:04
Ten dam - 5.5/kg - lost 4:25

Did the CN forums factor in the differences in power meter readings?

Also theres supposedly going to be very wet roads for the descents today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
And Quintana has had a dig already, this might be a stage to watch.

Van Garderen has been dropped already.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 22, 2015

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Apparently TVG's been dropped even from the group that was already dropped. Looks like this might be it for him

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
3 minutes down now. They've only got one team mate with him so he might be about to climb off or something?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Anyone going to be on Alpe D'Huez on Saturday? I'm thinking of taking the train down to Grenoble and riding the thing before the Tour. Not sure I'll hang around for the riders though because it's going to be hell getting back to Grenoble after with the whole race moving North.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Two team mates now. I just hope whatever he does he won't have a cry on the side of the road

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

Two team mates now. I just hope whatever he does he won't have a cry on the side of the road

BMC have confirmed he's ill.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
TVG Is over 5 minutes down.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I wonder how Garmin are going to play this, Ryder and Talansky up the road, they need a stage win, so either working together or if things start to come together again Martin could have them as support further up the road.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

I wonder how Garmin are going to play this, Ryder and Talansky up the road, they need a stage win, so either working together or if things start to come together again Martin could have them as support further up the road.

I get the feeling this is going to be won by one of the GC boys.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah I agree, I still love old school strategy of having men up the road for the long range attacks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They've slowed up a lot now and thats let everyone get back together. Break still up the road having a piss.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Contador and Rodgers!

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Here we go :D

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
And Movistar are chasing him down

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Wrong move over all they need to let Sky do work but they don't want to lose their GC thus solidifying Froome's yellow.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He does have 2 very good climbers up the road too.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
And there goes Valverde.

Will Quintana chase him down?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Valverde is such a boring gently caress. Has he ever contributed in a breakaway?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hahaha TVG is having a Charlie Brown moment

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Welp there it is

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
You have to feel bad for TVG. Dude is clearly miserable about having to abandon.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Smirr posted:

Wish he could have finished the stage.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Well that sucks. :911:

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Smirr posted:

There it is

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks for ruining american cycling Lance

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That was one nice sprint.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

That was one nice sprint.

Thats what you get for not taking a turn!

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
I don't watch a lot of cycling - why is it an advantage to have team mates up the road in a breakaway?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

pogo posted:

I don't watch a lot of cycling - why is it an advantage to have team mates up the road in a breakaway?

The main advantage? You get an excuse to not put your guys on the front to chase it down, since ostensibly you want your guy up the road to win the stage.

For something like today however, a strong climber up the road can support your main guy if he tries to launch an attack, he'll catch up to a team mate who can then work themselves to death for the cause.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Really is a stunningly beautiful stage today.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Teklehaimanot is chasing down Geschke with a gap of around 8 minutes back to the peloton. I would quite like to see him win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3

serious gaylord posted:

The main advantage? You get an excuse to not put your guys on the front to chase it down, since ostensibly you want your guy up the road to win the stage.

For something like today however, a strong climber up the road can support your main guy if he tries to launch an attack, he'll catch up to a team mate who can then work themselves to death for the cause.

Right, thanks. I've heard them talking about (for example) teammates of GC contenders launching attacks to see if Sky will bite. I didn't understand why they would bother chasing down a non-contender - would the second part of your reply above apply here? i.e. they might chase down the non-contender to make sure the actual contender doesn't have that advantage later?