Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
All I want is the Perfect Dark rerelease that was on XBLA a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

All I want is the Perfect Dark rerelease that was on XBLA a few years ago.

supposedly that's the version of Perfect Dark we'll be getting in this collection(it also might get released by itself on Xbox One Marketplace along with most of the other games Rare made for the 360 as they're part of that 360 Backwards Compatibility beta that Nintendo Kid mentioned earlier)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

supposedly that's the version of Perfect Dark we'll be getting in this collection

It'd be easier for them than to emulate the N64 version, for sure. We just need it to release on PC. :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It'd be easier for them than to emulate the N64 version, for sure. We just need it to release on PC. :(

Why is the N64 so hard to emulate anyways?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Relative lack of interest and a rather strange architecture, mostly. Much like PSX emulation, there's been very little public work done in the last 10 years. Unlike PSX emulation, they left off in a pretty sorry state. The poorly documented custom GPU probably isn't helping things any.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 21, 2015

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Rare also managed to do custom microcode for the SGI co-processor that handles graphics and audio, allowing them to fundamentally alter the behavior of poo poo that was already impossible to understand.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Final neodoom just went the way of the dodo on my computer.

I'm willing to forgive a lot of a wad if it has good music but final neodoom was like listening to cruxshadows.

Anybody want to pose their favorite doom music wads?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Back to Saturn X has good music

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Going Down :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I enjoy Demonsteele's collection of terrible metal midis.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
BTSX has all original music and it's all really good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ribbiks wads have great Streets of Rage rips

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Klaus88 posted:

Anybody want to pose their favorite doom music wads?

I'm quite fond of doom.wad. DOOM2.WAD has pretty good music too.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I like the WADs with all ROTT, Descent, and Duke Nukem 3D MIDIs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Back to Saturn X has good music

BtSX has the best music of any WAD I've played, including the official Doom WADs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drrockso20 posted:

supposedly that's the version of Perfect Dark we'll be getting in this collection(it also might get released by itself on Xbox One Marketplace along with most of the other games Rare made for the 360 as they're part of that 360 Backwards Compatibility beta that Nintendo Kid mentioned earlier)

When the backwards compat rolls out to everyone in the fall, all you'd need to do if you wanted just that game is to buy it on the 360 marketplace (regardless of whether you own a 360) and it can be downloaded right to an Xbox One. But I think it's still like $10 or so so not that great of a deal unless you really don't like anything else in the compilation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

drrockso20 posted:

Compared to the PS2 its not. :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Compared to the PS2 its not. :v:

And yet I still seem to have better luck with PS2 emulation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr E posted:

And yet I still seem to have better luck with PS2 emulation.

Yeah, ironically. Like dis astranagant said its because of lack of interest / active development.

Just a few years ago PS2 was a no-go on emulation and N64 was pretty lock-solid so it was totally different. Its just there's been near-zero N64 work since then while PS2 emus have been working hard to get to a really playable state.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm doubtful that Perfect Dark will get a PC version. Partially because M+KB would make that game way too easy, and partially because the studio that did the XBLA version does the console Minecraft games now, and god help us all if they ever stop doing that for like half a second.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mak0rz posted:

I'm quite fond of doom.wad. DOOM2.WAD has pretty good music too.

You listen to anything a thousand or so times and it gets a wee bit repetitive.

Not contesting this though, doom has some :krad: music.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I honestly think Bobby Prince is talented, he just tries to cover it up by cribbing other styles. He's at his best when he's doing downtempo, sad stuff; Wondering About My Loved Ones and Sign Of Evil are some of my favorite tracks from any video game.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

The Kins posted:

Look very closely at the "ONLY ON XBOX ONE" label on the amazon boxart pic. When you see it...

I don't get it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't get it.

If you look closely your can see "Only on Xbox One and PC" at about 1% opacity

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It says "ON PC" in very faint letters which I don't know if that's meant to be an actual confirmation or a weird joke.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gently caress, I hope it comes to PC. That would be amazing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If it ends up on PC, it'll have to either have a Microsoft approved 360 emulator ready to go for Windows, or they're doing re-ports of all the N64 games that they'd already ported to 360. Either way, it would probably only come out a while after the Xbox One release.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought one of the things about windows 10 was that it's supposed to be fairly compatible with xb1 and games were gonna be more easily ported between them?

I guess that doesn't have to have any bearing on 360 backwards compatibility though...

And you're undoubtedly right about it coming aster the xb1 release.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually almost never use music WADs... although I recall dabbling with a few in the past. Like, when I first got Doom 2 around 2005 or so and was mucking around with SLIGE, I recall using this music WAD that introduced me to some SNES tracks I'd never heard before, like Final Fantasy IV's "Golbez, Clad in Darkness" or ActRaiser's "Sacrifices". I forget which WAD that was now, though.

If I had to go with one now, though, Jimmy's Jukebox is pretty much the best way to go. It's ZDoom-only, so it won't do for anyone who uses other source ports, but it lets you choose several pools of music to crib from (including Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Heretic, Chex Quest, Memento Mori 2, Hell Revealed 2, Requiem, Strain, and the music libraries of Jimmy and Forty-Two/stewboy, among others I'm probably forgetting), picks 32 tracks from that at random to form a playlist, and then plays that in lieu of whatever the WAD you're playing has (generally, if you're using this mod, it was the stock Doom 2 music). Wonder if it's seen any updates since I last used it, though...?

As for MegaWADs with their own custom soundtracks, I rather liked the soundtracks to Zone 300, Going Down, 2002: A Doom Odyssey, Memento Mori 2, Speed of Doom, Adventures of Square and Turbocharged Arcade. I also kinda like Hell Revealed 2's MAP12, "Anti-Static", because it's supposed to sound like this but my preferred soundfont (8MBGMSFX.sf2) makes it sound like this. (Who knew rhythmic car screeching could work so well?)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Plutonia 2 had some fantastic music, IIRC. Map20 was the big one for me, but I also loved MAP29.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjE5qL4lpro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvImbFhswjQ

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 21, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also thanks for posting the "I'm hitler" song because it owns

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Segmentation Fault posted:

I honestly think Bobby Prince is talented, he just tries to cover it up by cribbing other styles. He's at his best when he's doing downtempo, sad stuff; Wondering About My Loved Ones and Sign Of Evil are some of my favorite tracks from any video game.

His original creepy stuff is excellent, I think the problem is that id wanted some of the soundtrack to be harder metal-like stuff and it was out of his comfort zone so he had to borrow some riffs.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
This is cool; Croteam released the sources of most of the models in Serious Sam 2 and HD, along with 3's enemies. This means everything; textures, animations, and models.

http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?p=1081148

There's also reports of unused content in the files, so if you liked exploring the Doom art source release earlier this year, you should like this as well.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 21, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
For the life of me I cannot figure out if/where Prince cribbed Donna to the Rescue from. Any ideas?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

For the life of me I cannot figure out if/where Prince cribbed Donna to the Rescue from. Any ideas?

It's supposedly Judas Priest - Leather Rebel but I can't hear it.

Trying to figure it out brought me to this which is pretty funny all things considered.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's supposedly Judas Priest - Leather Rebel but I can't hear it.

Trying to figure it out brought me to this which is pretty funny all things considered.

Yeah, I'd already read that somewhere, and I didn't buy it then.

Pretty much everything about the two pieces is different. Key, chords, tempo, count, percussion, you name it.

edit: If you haven't heard this yet, it's worth a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAvKaw-HMBA

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 22, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Listening to the two, I can definitely hear it. The initial part of E3M2 is like what would happen if you tried to transcribe that fast rhtyhm guitar into a midi that couldn't handle the speed; you'd have to break it down and change it up a little, but it follows a very similar theme. Then the hard drums come in breaking it up, just like leather rebel. Thing is there's enough difference from the transcribing process to call it a different song, but I can see where it could come from somebody listening to leather rebel and trying to make a midi version. Its far less egregious than some of the other doom tracks for sure. The main melody as far as I can tell is totally different, which could be a combination of some other metal song I can't place but could just as easily be original. The song is still definitely based on or inspired by leather rebel, although I'm not sure its close enough to even litigate were that an issue back in the day, and I wouldn't say they're the same song flat out or anything. But I can hear it.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, I'd already read that somewhere, and I didn't buy it then.

Pretty much everything about the two pieces is different. Key, chords, tempo, count, percussion, you name it.

edit: If you haven't heard this yet, it's worth a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAvKaw-HMBA

I poked around the videos a bit and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvvIut19uA

You know, I'm a bigger Doom dork than most, but even this made me blush. Still pretty awesome though.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Reelism has ridiculously good music selection. I had so much fun fighting the Goldfire Wizard while Metal Squad from Thunder Force IV blasting in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

laserghost posted:

Reelism has ridiculously good music selection. I had so much fun fighting the Goldfire Wizard while Metal Squad from Thunder Force IV blasting in the background.

You're telling me! When Top Man's theme came on during my fight on 'Abridged', I just loved the mod all the more for it :swoon: