Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

Judges is a very strange book

The one in the Bible? Because I think you might be mistaken—it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If y'all want the Book of the Month to keep going, chime in with suggestions in the thread at the top of the forum.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

The one in the Bible? Because I think you might be mistaken—it owns

Weird that u think strange means bad.....

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I want a book I've never read so just suggest, like, a book that I've probably never heard of that I can get an ebook of pls

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

I want a book I've never read so just suggest, like, a book that I've probably never heard of that I can get an ebook of pls

HHhH by Laurent Binet

I'm going to do a longer post about it later (will probably finish it today) and I'll be curious what others here think of the book

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hebdomeros by Giorgio de Chirico

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
EL Doctorow :(

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar

Hopscotch's readability is very dependent on having a physical copy though I don't think an ebook would offer the same experience

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hopscotch's readability is very dependent on having a physical copy though I don't think an ebook would offer the same experience

just use wordcount and an rng

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Now someone can write a book with him in it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
What do y'all think are the most influential books of the Bible, from a literary standpoint

Like Genesis def, Habakkuk not so much

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Beyond sleep by Willem Hermans

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

End Of Worlds posted:

What do y'all think are the most influential books of the Bible, from a literary standpoint

Jubilees, obviously

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Belgian posted:

Beyond sleep by Willem Hermans

Alright

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

End Of Worlds posted:

Exodus, Proverbs, Psalms, Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, the four gospels in the New Testament, Revelations

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

End Of Worlds posted:

Genesis, Exodus, Psalms, Daniel, Lamentations, Ruth, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts and Revelation

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tangentially to this, i would love to read some literary analysis of paul's letters to various congregations. i noticed a real difference in tone between romans and first corinthians, for instance - does anyone know of any decent scolarship on this?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

tangentially to this, i would love to read some literary analysis of paul's letters to various congregations. i noticed a real difference in tone between romans and first corinthians, for instance - does anyone know of any decent scolarship on this?

Yes. There's a great one in Rhetoric Society Quarterly comparing a letter from Paul to a speech by George W Bush about the war on terror. Very interesting. Not sure of the title or author, though

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

blue squares posted:

es. There's a great one in Rhetoric Society Quarterly comparing a letter from Paul to a speech by George W Bush about the war on terror. Very interesting. Not sure of the title or author, though

I remembered reading that and thinking that they were really reaching to make some connections.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Do you really think that the book of Ruth is really that influential?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Do you really think that the book of Ruth is really that influential?

Yeah I don't get that unless u think the ability to become a Jew is super important to the entire Bible?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

I remembered reading that and thinking that they were really reaching to make some connections.

Jesus christ two people who read an RSQ article in the same thread. What are the odds

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

What does TBB think of Tove Jansson? Literary or no?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The, uh, Moomins lady? She wrote any stuff that's not about trolls?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just got done talking to the council and its a no sorry

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mr. Squishy posted:

The, uh, Moomins lady? She wrote any stuff that's not about trolls?

ya she was actually a fairly influential social commentator and journalist/political cartoonist at the time

i don't know if she wrote any novels, but the original moomin books are actually fairly clever+multilayered imo

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just got done talking to the council and its a no sorry

Aw, that's a shame. Only asking 'cause I just visited Japan and it seems like over there, they place her on the same level as Hans Christian Andersen with regard to children's lit.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
She wrote novels too, but they're not talked about much even in Finland.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I know her family sort of comprised it's very own Bloomsbury group for Norway, I just didn't know if she'd written anything for adults to read.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mira posted:

Aw, that's a shame. Only asking 'cause I just visited Japan and it seems like over there, they place her on the same level as Hans Christian Andersen with regard to children's lit.

Sorry the council has spoken. If it makes you feel better Selma Lagerlof doesn't count either but that might be because Council Member Bandalore the Wizened doesn't like children's fiction.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I know her family sort of comprised it's very own Bloomsbury group for Norway, I just didn't know if she'd written anything for adults to read.

Norway, eh?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Buddy, let me level with you: I am very stupid.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sorry the council has spoken. If it makes you feel better Selma Lagerlof doesn't count either but that might be because Council Member Bandalore the Wizened doesn't like children's fiction.

You are 100% not on the is this literature council.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The council is me and Thomas Pynchon Inc.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
What kind of rituals must I performs to enter the Council?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, new BotM thread is up. It's not as literary as in past months but I tried to include some non-terrible options. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732757

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Jansson's The Summer Book is v. popular, at least in the uk (going by copies we got in my oxfam) and her newly translated adult novel (or were they stories?) got shortlisted for btba or smth. I'd abstain from voting at least until i read summer book.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, new BotM thread is up. It's not as literary as in past months but I tried to include some non-terrible options. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732757
There are some obvious true lit gems though, that I'd vote if I'd have time for bookclubs, like Dinosaur Lords, story of two men with Aspergers who think Jurassic World is real and go on roadtrip to Costa Rica and Traitors Blades - poignant character study of icehockey turncoat Marian Hossa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dinosaur Lords is a cutting satire of the Republican party