Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Wow you sure got 'em shots fired good job.

? That wasn't sarcasm, I love the .abc system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Well, someone got on, at least :3: It's nice seeing a grumpy new face whining about the tedious, arbitrary progression quest system. ((which can mostly be circumvented with frackin' universe, now. wooo. :gonk:))

Edit: 4 goons were on at once :neckbeard: It was nice! Thank you for the music, BirdBard.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 21, 2015

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Freakbox posted:

Well, someone got on, at least :3: It's nice seeing a grumpy new face whining about the tedious, arbitrary progression quest system. ((which can mostly be circumvented with frackin' universe, now. wooo. :gonk:))

Edit: 4 goons were on at once :neckbeard: It was nice! Thank you for the music, BirdBard.

You can circumvent the quest system now? How?

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Well, I/the server have/has a mod called Frackin' Universe; most of the things the main mission gives you are suits to protect you fom heat, cold, radiation, space, etc...Frackin' Universe allows you to craft technological armor and field generators that make any quest after the mining facility completely un-needed for completion, freeing you from three quarters of the stupid progression-blocking quests.

With Creative Mode, another mod, you can actually produce an "FTL Repair Unit", as well, but I don't mind doing up to the erchius facility and then stopping. Last night we got one player's FTL drive fixed without the quest having to be completed at all; we just went to one of the FU biomes, a crystal moon, dug up the crystals, and gave them to him after he accepted the quest. The quest completed and he was good to go! :3:

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/frackinuniverse.2920/

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/creative-mode-complete-control-over-your-experience.614/

With these two easy to install mods you can ignore the entire bullshitty system chucklefish set up unless you want a huge ship or something, and I think you can upgrade to at least the second ship without doing any main quests. That's really all the space you need outside of building something.

PS Edit: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/fully-customizable-ship.39/ and with that, if you really wanted, you could just build you own ship out of wood and coconuts or something.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 22, 2015

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Why are all of the NPCs on my ship naked :confuoot:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
someone needs to do some mod managment

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

In today's Starbound news, crops now need water to grow, and flat out won't grow without them. About every stage's worth of growth water must be reapplied, in addition to the normal time required for the plant to grow. The only things that can water plants are rain and a watering can that looks hard to aim (he fucks it up repeatedly in the demonstration .gif). In addition, the process can't be automated in any way whatsoever, and trying to run water over your plants to speed up the process breaks your crops returning only seeds, regardless of growth state.

Please understand
that this game is turning into a loving parody of itself

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

In today's Starbound news, crops now need water to grow, and flat out won't grow without them. About every stage's worth of growth water must be reapplied, in addition to the normal time required for the plant to grow. The only things that can water plants are rain and a watering can that looks hard to aim (he fucks it up repeatedly in the demonstration .gif). In addition, the process can't be automated in any way whatsoever, and trying to run water over your plants to speed up the process breaks your crops returning only seeds, regardless of growth state.

Please understand

So, literally Harvest Moon

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
THE FUTURE: We can work out FTL travel but a loving sprinkler eludes us.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

what

but..how can they just keep making it worse

:psyduck:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

If you wanted to make a bunch of money forever, would you try to make a game like Terraria or like Minecraft?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Starbound is the I Wanna Be the Guy of sandbox games

quote:

Rain water and the watering pale are the ONLY way to water soil. The water gun does not work, nor does letting water run over it work. This means you cannot use turrets with water guns in them to automate the process :urgh:. Another unique change I have found is that water flow now breaks crops. This means running knee deep water over crops breaks them. The bad news is that it does not harvest the crop, it only returns the seed to you. All of this together has a few consequences...

1: There is virtually no way to automate the farming currently
2: The watering pale is terribly slow/awkward to use, so I'd suggest setting up farms on rainy planets
3: This now means that rainy planets are vastly superior for farming compared to other planetary weather.
4: This also means that underground farms just became much harder, as you have to water them all by hand.

Hopefully in the future we get some way to automate the process some.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cicadas! posted:

Please understand
What is the thought process here. How could this possibly improve the game.

:wtc:

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Excelzior posted:

what

This reminded me of the classic This American Life episode "Fiasco!" which tells the story of a local stage production of Peter Pan that started off on solid enough ground but through a series of mishaps kept going increasingly and hilariously worse until the whole thing fell apart and bombed in a spectacular fashion. The takeaway was that after the first series of fuckups the audience hit a turning point where they were fully over any interest in watching a serious play and would've been super let down if it'd gotten back on course and finished up in a normal competent way.

So basically the layering of one comedically bad idea over the last has become 10000% more entertaining than starbound could ever hope to be itself and if they actually did something to improve it I might start to get disappointed

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 22, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

We all know they'll add sprinkers and/or irrigation behind asinine progress gates

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think this would be less stupid overall if the actual base game was worth a poo poo yet

'yeah the players can't dig any fun out of the core gameplay but at least the farming system is now more loving tedious than anything minecraft has ever implemented'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm being serious here, farming in minecraft is less tedious than it is in starbound now. i've played minecraft with a million mods before and farming was never that stupid

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It's like...we make jokes about how bad this is, and the next day Chucklefish goes and makes it worse. :allears:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
what are their forums like

im not sure if the devs genuinely believe that all the *hardcore* dumb poo poo is good design or if they just listen to a forum filled with screaming autists who demand everything to be bad and boring

i went to their forums when the game first released and there sure was a lot of people like that

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I come back to this thread out of curiosity of what's new and I just feel like :magical: (about the development, not the thread)

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm being serious here, farming in minecraft is less tedious than it is in starbound now. i've played minecraft with a million mods before and farming was never that stupid

You mean to say that farming has somehow gone untouched by gregtech?! :monocle:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Cicadas! posted:

Please understand
are you loving kidding me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bel Monte posted:

You mean to say that farming has somehow gone untouched by gregtech?! :monocle:

it probably was but it's very easy to just not use gregtech, something which many people put into practice. in starbound's case the base game just kicks the player in the ribs for wanting to do some basic poo poo for no reason whatsoever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you'd think they could have gone with some sane poo poo like 'hey the growing speed was slightly lowered but if you keep up with watering your plants they will grow faster on average than they used to' but hey nah let's completely ignore a million of solutions that were implemented in other, actually complete and successful games in favor of something that is truly, literally, more tedious than basically anything that has ever been modded into minecraft.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this might honestly be the breaking point for whether or not I believe this game can improve

I'm fuckin' flabbergasted lmao holy poo poo how do you even come to the conclusion that this is even a remotely good idea

e: the only upside I can see to this method is if they make it so that your plants can grow off-screen now. Did they already do that?

It's not enough of an upside to make up for it, but it's a feature I'd like to see anyway and this looks like it's the best time to add it in.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 22, 2015

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

Please understand

Why would you do this

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's been made clear several times on many different places around the internet (their subreddit, here, their own forums) that tedium and monotony and linear progression and gated mechanics are the game's biggest faults, so the only reason I could see this kind of mechanic being introduced is if they're straight up not listening to negative feedback or they're doing this out of spite (or indignation)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
either they're petty children or just literally idiots

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's kind of amazing to consider that Starbound was better while it was abandoned.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
at this point the only hope starbound has is that some group of dedicated (and also mentally ill) people will say "gently caress it", pick some release of the game and start modding it to hell and back while completely ignoring every patch and update released by the retards at chucklefish

this won't happen

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I don't understand how they could have ever thought this was the right direction to take things, it is literally worse in every way and adds nothing at ALL of worth to the game. I am in awe.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

RottenK posted:

at this point the only hope starbound has is that some group of dedicated (and also mentally ill) people will say "gently caress it", pick some release of the game and start modding it to hell and back while completely ignoring every patch and update released by the retards at chucklefish

this won't happen

I'm pretty sure I already saw a mod that took all the worst changes they made in the latest update and reverted them all. It might have been a part of a larger mod or modpack though, I don't remember a name.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

QUACKTASTIC posted:

THE FUTURE: We can work out FTL travel but a loving sprinkler eludes us.
Yeah the idea that literally no automation is available is a loving joke, especially with the overall tech level of the game, but that's all over the place anyway. Magic skull swords instead of light sabers and poo poo, who cares.

:downs:"Hey what do you guys want to see in the next patch?"
:geno:"Well, if you could maybe change the stilted progression a bit, or fix the numerous--"
:downs:"Make farming more difficult? Sure!"
:geno:"But food buffs still aren't even worthwhile, let alone transparent to the user."
:downs:"Right, so we'll make sure they can't be automated. Good plan!"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

Please understand

I, what. why :negative:

I'm assuming this is because you can theoretically sell crops for pixels?... Or was that not a thing yet... That is probably not a thing yet and the only, infinitesimally, trace attempt at a Dev logic reason for this is in preparation to make you "work" for your farming progression because oh poo poo, you can just let plants grow while out trying to doing things unrelated to grinding progress!

Excelzior posted:

what

Why am I stupid enough to keep thinking they can't :saddowns:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
This game is art.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

:geno:"But food buffs still aren't even worthwhile, let alone transparent to the user."

Food buffs are very transparent to the user, I dunno how much more obvious you can get than "enables you to jump so high that you'll die from unpreventable fall damage"

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm yes this is also where I'd direct my coder resources

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I already hadn't touched the game in months and they do something like this? It's just...there are no words.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Asimo posted:

It's kind of amazing to consider that Starbound was better while it was abandoned.

I just realized that each Starbound patch improves Cubeworld a little bit.

At this rate an abandoned early access game will surpass Starbound by virtue of not becoming worse over time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

superstepa posted:

I'm pretty sure I already saw a mod that took all the worst changes they made in the latest update and reverted them all. It might have been a part of a larger mod or modpack though, I don't remember a name.

can you please find that mod and tell me if there's any morons whining about it in the comments

• Locked thread