Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

American Ultra just keeps looking better and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAmChN-wHv8

Lol so much stock footage padding the opening of that trailer. I'm glad they released the red band first, if this was the only trailer for the film I wouldn't be as interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I like everything about that trailer except the good dinosaur itself.
There's still something "off" about it for me seeing it interact with poo poo

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

TheFallenEvincar posted:

There's still something "off" about it for me seeing it interact with poo poo

yeah, it feels just a touch too cartoony for the rest of the world. Like they originally had a much more cartoony world and changed that but not the Dino. The visuals looked incredible but the bright neon green goofy 5 year old dino just doesn't seem to mesh. Like he's not detailed enough.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Febreeze posted:

yeah, it feels just a touch too cartoony for the rest of the world. Like they originally had a much more cartoony world and changed that but not the Dino. The visuals looked incredible but the bright neon green goofy 5 year old dino just doesn't seem to mesh. Like he's not detailed enough.

I wonder if they'll partner with Sinclair for a marketing campaign.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GonSmithe posted:

New trailer for Pixar's The Good Dinosaur. Looks really pretty, but I still feel like the movie's ridiculously troubled production (including replacing the entire voice cast last month) is going to set it back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-RgquKVTPE

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since Inside Out had a troubled production too.

Also those environments look so good. Like only a slightly stylized version of the actual real environments I've hiked before.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

New trailer for Pixar's The Good Dinosaur. Looks really pretty, but I still feel like the movie's ridiculously troubled production (including replacing the entire voice cast last month) is going to set it back:

This looks awful. The dinosaur doesn't look like it belongs at all. Yes lots of it looks pretty, but I guess I don't care about pretty looking landscapes and realistic water anymore. The premise looks dumb as hell. Also I guess it'll have dialogue if they replaced the voice cast, but I think I'd only like it if it was a dialogue-less movie.

Also this:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Creationist tripe

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just checking, we're all joking about this being Creationist tripe, right? You guys aren't seriously arguing that the movie imagining an alternate history where dinosaurs never got wiped out by a meteor has an Intelligent Design agenda, right?

It's hard to tell with the Internet sometimes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DivisionPost posted:

Just checking, we're all joking about this being Creationist tripe, right? You guys aren't seriously arguing that the movie imagining an alternate history where dinosaurs never got wiped out by a meteor has an Intelligent Design agenda, right?

It was facetious. I'm definitely skeptical about the movie though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I actually found the exact moment the trailer lost me. It's 20 seconds where they show this hyperrealistic lizard crawling under a rock, and then playdoh littlefoot steps on the perfectly textured ground.

EDIT:

DivisionPost posted:

I don't think it's literally trying to say Creationism is right, but I also think that movies that involve humans and dinosaurs living together is dumb as hell.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GonSmithe posted:

The Good Dinosaur.

I really hated the music choice for this trailer. It's very generic "inspirational" music like the film has a big important message (and the use of Of Monsters and Men reminds me of Walter Mitty, where it was used for basically the same purpose). Echoing that the landscapes and environments look great, but that dinosaur very much does not. I feel that it's almost too over-engineered to be "cute" to sell merchandise. Then again I didn't really like Big Hero 6 or Inside Out either, so maybe it's just not for me anymore? RIP childlike wonder.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
Yeah the Good Dinosaur trailer isn't clicking with me at all. The scenery looks amazing, but everything else looks really out of place. Like you can tell they aren't really sure what they are trying to do with that trailer. "It's an epic dinosaur movie/coming of age movie/a cartoony slapstick movie/an inspirational and uplifting Pixar movie" and none of it works. That scene where the fireflies or whatever are flying and they are looking at it all wondrous and poo poo is so "this is supposed to be beautiful and awe-inspiring" but just falls flat for me, we've seen a scene like that so many times and the dinosaur looks really silly. All of the dinosaurs look silly. The kid looks like he's from 'The Croods', which was a good prehistory animation movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not really much to go off of, but at first blush I like the style more than Inside Out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More like The Bitch Dinosaur, because that dinosaur is a huge bitch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

More like The Bitch Dinosaur, because that dinosaur is a huge bitch.

:agreed:

That movie does look pretty bad and boring tho.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Vintersorg posted:

:agreed:

That movie does look pretty bad and boring tho.

So perfect for babysitting kids. It will make millions.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It feels like they're wanting to try a new style out since most of their stuff is starting to feel a bit long in the tooth visually (not that it's bad or anything) and that they needed to keep the dinosaur cute and relatable to little kids. It'll be interesting to see how well it works... at least they ARE trying something different though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I agree that it looks really nice visually but it also seems like it's going to be aimed at very young children with a lot less broad appeal than your typical Pixar fare.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The real question is: will it have another short movie with a song which gets stuck in your head for an entire week?

gently caress you Lava, I didn't even like you all that much!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kush posted:

The kid looks like he's from 'The Croods', which was a good prehistory animation movie.
The Croods did the idea of "weird-as-poo poo animals that cavepeople encounter" drat well. Nice balance between cartoony and realistic (the chase sequence over the egg at the start, with it's wildlife programme-style blurring and refocusing of the camera on the action was particularly well done)

Plus, the animal designs in that movie were freaking amazing; the giant sabre-tooth tiger with the tropical colouration, the nightmarish cat-owl and the vast sleeping ground-whales were excellent. The Play-doh dinosaur in this is just...lazy by comparison.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I'm willing to entertain the idea that Pixar knows more about making good movies then me, but that movie would look a lot better with fewer googly eyes

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lava was one of the worst shorts I've seen from them. That song loving blows.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

kiimo posted:

Lava was one of the worst shorts I've seen from them. That song loving blows.

Oh thank god Im not alone. All my friends LOVED it and I reallllllllllyyyy did NOT like it at all. ugh. stupid volcano

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Lava was visually gorgeous but it the song was like having treacle poured directly into your ear.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

I know why they're making the character designs all cutsey because they don't want another Disney's "Dinosaur" on their hands, but it's still really jarring to see big-rear end Disney eyes against some of the most realistic CGI environments I've ever seen.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Asiina posted:

I don't think it's literally trying to say Creationism is right, but I also think that movies that involve humans and dinosaurs living together is dumb as hell.
Haha what, why?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Here's the trailer for Meru, a bonkers looking mountain climbing documentary in the style of Into the Void: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pZ1GzXPEO8. It'll be fun to have this and that new Everest movie competing in the long tradition of disaster movie duos (Deep Impact/Armageddon, Volcano/Dante's Peak).

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Spectre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDaET-JweU

James has a fan club! :haw:

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I like how they're casting MILFs as bond girls now. Also the villain in this looks underwhelming and cliched. gently caress.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I liked the references to the On Her Majesty's Secret Service theme in the last minute of the trailer. That always was a great piece of music.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So after Spectre they're going to reboot the franchise with Silverfin and cast Matthew Lewis as Bond right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dave Batista made the right choice. Go make Marvel movies and 007 movies, earn tons of money, and not get jobbed out to John Cena on B-grade PPV's.

As far as the trailer goes, I think it's perfectly "James Bond".

An evil, "mustache twirling"-esque villain of foreign descent with a musclehead henchman? Check.

Exotic locations? Check.

Q giving 007 all sorts of rad spy gadgets (and a car with a loving flamethrower in it?) Check?

Secret underground lairs full of highly advanced technologies where criminals hold council? Check.

Helicopters doing barrel rolls? Explosions? Gunfights? Fixed wing aircraft chases? Check.

Smokin' hot Bond girls? Check.

I think it'll be rad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

teagone posted:

So after Spectre they're going to reboot the franchise with Silverfin and cast Matthew Lewis as Bond right?

There's still at least one more Daniel Craig Bond movie, I believe.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Bond movies tend to swing from the ridiculous to the down to earth and back again over time as the producers react to the audience and the audience reacts to the movies, and I'm perfectly ready for a movie with a Blofeld (who may be actually Blofeld, since they went through all the trouble to secure the rights to Blofeld and Spectre). Especially since it's Christoph Waltz.

The ridiculousness pendulum was particularly unkind to Pierce Brosnan who went from hunting a stolen stealth gunship in GoldenEye to ice surfing in Die Another Day. Moore was Bond long enough to go from serious (Live and Let Die*) to ridiculous (Moonraker) to back to serious (Octopussy) again.

* Bear with me! I mean contemporary standards here. Live and Let Die is also a great example of that time when Bond movies decided that aping whatever's in the zeitgeist is the key to success.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 22, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Immortan posted:

Also the villain in this looks underwhelming and cliched. gently caress.

It's Christoph loving Waltz, I see no universe where he won't end up being amazing. That's like THE reason to be excited for this film IMO

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Actually, is it my imagination, or does Craig look as old as hell in that trailer?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They're hamming up Bond's tiredness as a metaphor for Bond's (the franchise) tiredness. Probably. Like how every other line in Skyfall was "wow, aren't you passed it, why are you still here?"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Actually, is it my imagination, or does Craig look as old as hell in that trailer?

He's always 2 weeks from retirement.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Samovar posted:

Yes he does and I don't think it's as intentionally as they tried to play it in Skyfall. He looks kind of rough here. And I wish they would have kept Deakins on this. It looks kind of drab at places; when I heard about them filming in Mexico during Day of the dead (?) I was expecting some crazy colors and visuals and not some brown and kind of ugly looking shithole-Mexico. Waltz should be fun to watch at least and I can't wait to see how they fixed the third act.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ya it looked monochrome throughout: either sepia or black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kush posted:

And I wish they would have kept Deakins on this.

Deakins was busy shooting Sicario for Denis Villeneuve, I believe.

• Locked thread