Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know exactly which countries are covered by Warlord Games "Devil's Playground" supplement for the 30 Years War? Looking at their model range it dawned on me that there might be a rare opportunity to actually model some of my own country's military history. Would be so cool modelling the Danish-Swedish wars of 1657-1660, and since Christian IV led a campaign into Germany during the 30 Years War, there might be a list for Danish soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Throbbing blob posted:

Does anyone know exactly which countries are covered by Warlord Games "Devil's Playground" supplement for the 30 Years War? Looking at their model range it dawned on me that there might be a rare opportunity to actually model some of my own country's military history. Would be so cool modelling the Danish-Swedish wars of 1657-1660, and since Christian IV led a campaign into Germany during the 30 Years War, there might be a list for Danish soldiers.

I'm not sure, but if they don't have a Danish list you could always get the Wars of Religion book for FoG:R (https://ospreypublishing.com/wars-of-religion-pb) and extrapolate from the Danish 1611-1645 list there. We're likely to end up getting it to try some Swedish armies, now that we got some Maximilian and Spanish armies kind of half-built.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. It does seem that there is a list for Denmark in the main rulebook but it's apparently quite superficial. In any case, we probably won't be doing huge forces since it'll probably just be 2 of us interested in doing it (the history students in our group, imagine that).

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I just got Sharp Practice in the mail and holy poo poo it is complicated. Love the drill manual part but it is really complicated

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does Black Powder, in the main book or addendum, have rules for Japanese troops of that era?

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
How are people basing 15mm WW2 dudes for CoC/Bolt Action?

I have a FoW fallschirmjäger box but I want to play other games with so the big rectangle bases are offputting.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I've finally had a little painting time so I got some progress done on the Brits. I'm pretty unhappy with the staghound so far, I need to brighten it up and pick out more detail. The squad needs one more man in the rifle team to be ready to go for Chain of Command. In the queue for these brits are two more rifle squads to round out the platoon and a piat team.

I use pennies!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pennies was my plan, but I got distracted and accidentally another FoW army instead. Whoops.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pennies... :canada:

I'm a US expat too

How many loving pennies have I ignored and taken for granted?

Also, is there any particular spergy reason the FoW late war Fallschirmjäger box can't represent 1943 dudes? I'm trying to go max sperg becasue my grandpa was in the FJ in Italy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does anyone have any recommendations for an Ancients rule set with 15mm scale mans? I'm talking Macedonia and Ancient India here.

I backed a KS for them a while ago that I'm sure I've mentioned here before, and I have the minis, but the new rules being written alongside them - War & Empire - still haven't surfaced. I'm interested in reading around to see what else I could use, because at the moment I have this idea of basing them for an ancients rule set, but in such a way as to let me play scaled down Kings of War, and full scale on trays Kings of War as a Kingdoms of Men army, without making any changes.

Need to know how I'm basing them and what I'm basing them for before I can get started on painting them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Base for DBA then. It's basically the standard for 15mm Ancients/Mediaevals. Hail Caesar uses that basing system too IIRC.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

vintagepurple posted:

Pennies... :canada:

I'm a US expat too

How many loving pennies have I ignored and taken for granted?

Also, is there any particular spergy reason the FoW late war Fallschirmjäger box can't represent 1943 dudes? I'm trying to go max sperg becasue my grandpa was in the FJ in Italy.

I feel you on the pennies and being an expat, except I'm somewhere where I can't ship my army to, and nobody nearby actually plays any historicals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

Base for DBA then. It's basically the standard for 15mm Ancients/Mediaevals. Hail Caesar uses that basing system too IIRC.

So, where do I find the rules for DBA? I tried searching, and all I found were a few unclear websites with late-90s web design :v:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

NTRabbit posted:

So, where do I find the rules for DBA? I tried searching, and all I found were a few unclear websites with late-90s web design :v:
Amazon? The one seller is the actual publisher.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Isn't the player modification more popular currently? DBA 2+ or something?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I aquired a company of Flames of War German Grendiers in a Ebay bid, and I'm planning on basing them up singlely for skirmish games such as Bolt action or Chain of command.

Am I ever going to need to whole company?

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

So I aquired a company of Flames of War German Grendiers in a Ebay bid, and I'm planning on basing them up singlely for skirmish games such as Bolt action or Chain of command.

Am I ever going to need to whole company?

Probably about half as an absolute maximum. If it's the plastic FoW box, it has 106 models I believe. With a very infantry heavy Bolt Action army, you'd need 40 for the normal squads + you could use some models for command and specialst teams.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

NTRabbit posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an Ancients rule set with 15mm scale mans? I'm talking Macedonia and Ancient India here.

I backed a KS for them a while ago that I'm sure I've mentioned here before, and I have the minis, but the new rules being written alongside them - War & Empire - still haven't surfaced. I'm interested in reading around to see what else I could use, because at the moment I have this idea of basing them for an ancients rule set, but in such a way as to let me play scaled down Kings of War, and full scale on trays Kings of War as a Kingdoms of Men army, without making any changes.

Need to know how I'm basing them and what I'm basing them for before I can get started on painting them.

I'd recommend Sword and Spear or Hail Caesar

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

This is more out there, but there is a ruleset called "To the Strongest" which plays quickly and uses a deck of cards instead of dice. It looks interesting.

http://bigredbatshop.co.uk/pages/about-to-the-strongest

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I was going to suggest that as well but I've never read the rules although I saw it being played at Salute and it looked really interesting and pretty simple to play.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A lot of options but not a lot of money, guess I'll have to ookmark them for the future, thanks!

So what is the 'standard' base size for 15mm ancients? The KS pack came with 40x15, 40x30 and 40x40 MDF bases for close order infantry, loose order infantry and cavalry, and chariots and elephants and mounted generals respectively.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

A lot of these rules we are suggesting can be bought as PDFs for a few quid.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah I saw, but 10 quid here, 10 quid there, it all starts to add up, and money is a hell of a lot tighter now than it was when I backed the KS for the minis end of 2013. Can probably spare the cash to pick one or two up in a couple of months.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 22, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Serotonin posted:

Yay, just picked up the Warlord Games Roman starter kit for £42! Less than 30p a mini. Going to use it to build a War and Conquest/Hail Caesar force to take on my mates new Ancient Britons.

Downside is it's unlikely I will be able to build and paint them for some months coz reasons.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465762&perpage=40&pagenumber=1052#post447844933

They are going to sit their taunting me.

Following on from this. Does anyone know of a painting service I can use who will just build models for me. Don't want them painted as I can do than why my arm is better.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
Just a reminder if nobody saw this yet. Warlord Games is currently running a great deal on core books on their 4 main historical lines. http://www.warlordgames.com/start-your-sizzling-summer-with-a-system-starter

You get a free box of your choice with each core book. Especially the non bolt action lines are hard to get anywhere at a discount. I took the plunge on Pike & Shotte and Black Powder core.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Well you say that but as posted above I got their Roman starter set for £43 rather than the £75 they charge. Lots of those big starter sets can be picked up super cheap at shows or on eBay. The Pike and Shotte King and country set is under 50 quid on eBay and has rule book and over 80 minis including cavalry. It's worth having a shop around because Warlord deals arent always all that.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 22, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Been drooling over the Pike & Shotte deal for most of the day. I hope the offer still stands when I get paid at the end of this month.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Baron FU posted:

Just a reminder if nobody saw this yet. Warlord Games is currently running a great deal on core books on their 4 main historical lines. http://www.warlordgames.com/start-your-sizzling-summer-with-a-system-starter

You get a free box of your choice with each core book. Especially the non bolt action lines are hard to get anywhere at a discount. I took the plunge on Pike & Shotte and Black Powder core.

I'll have to check this out later. I keep forgetting that Warlord Games has where I live IP blocked. Not sure what gives about that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I would almost be tempted to grab Bolt Action and some box, but TBH I would rather do it in teenymans scale for cheapness. I might see if anyone else is interested in another box of stuff though.

YF19pilot posted:

I'll have to check this out later. I keep forgetting that Warlord Games has where I live IP blocked. Not sure what gives about that.
Rick Priestly hates you, personally.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

A lot of options but not a lot of money, guess I'll have to ookmark them for the future, thanks!

So what is the 'standard' base size for 15mm ancients? The KS pack came with 40x15, 40x30 and 40x40 MDF bases for close order infantry, loose order infantry and cavalry, and chariots and elephants and mounted generals respectively.

Those are pretty much the most popular standard for most sub-20mm large battle games, with the small change that 20mm deep based are common for looser infantry, and 30mm for cavalry. That's whats used in DBA and the various offshoots, and FoG, for instance. The second most popular would be 60mmx30mm, but I see that one more often for 6mm.

Thankfully more and more rules are adapting a more relaxed approach to base sizes, but i'd say that your army will be useful for most rulesets out there if you put them on 40mm wide bases. Depth is rarely as important as width.

Edit: FoG: renaissance is having a horribly corruptive effect on my club. After two playtests, people are already talking about wanting to try out reitters, which means that we have entered the 17th centure, and Here Be 30 Years War. Before summer is over I expect someone stupid going full hog on a Gutavus Adolphus army.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 23, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cool, thanks. I think I'll base them on the bases I got then, rather than buy more, and if I ever want to double use them for KoW fantasy scaled down it's easy enough to knock out some specially adapted movement trays.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Cool, thanks. I think I'll base them on the bases I got then, rather than buy more, and if I ever want to double use them for KoW fantasy scaled down it's easy enough to knock out some specially adapted movement trays.

Yeah, rule of thumb is that as long as the units on both sides are of roughly similar width, you can get by.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Rick Priestly hates you, personally.

This is what I get for selling all my 40k stuff to fund moving to Taiwan, isn't it?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Recently started playing some Saga at the FLGS and was thinking about picking up a starter box of my own. What are people's thoughts on the Spanish?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you like your wargames in a digital format, Wargame Vault's holding a sale on all sorts of crap. Including Osprey games such as Bolt Action.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're looking for generic ancients I'd try Warhammer Ancient Battles 2nd Edition. There is a free army list compendium you can find that has basically every army list from the bronze age up through the Italian Wars in it, and it was worked on by a bunch of cool dudes who know their stuff (like the guy who wrote SAGA, IIRC). It contains instructions in one of the chapters about how to scale it down to smaller scales.

It's kinda hard to find the WAB rulebook these days, but I'm sure you can dig it up somewhere for cheap.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 24, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Can I contradict and suggest War and Conquest over WAB2 as its effectively WAB3. Same author but written after GW closed Historicals. It shares a lot of WAB mechanics but improves on them in pretty much every way.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Can I contradict and suggest War and Conquest over WAB2 as its effectively WAB3. Same author but written after GW closed Historicals. It shares a lot of WAB mechanics but improves on them in pretty much every way.

Also, if you want something lighter there's DBA, and if you want something more crunchy there's FoG. Those are the only systems for ancients that I've tried myself, and they both have pros and cons. Basically, there are so many rules for ancients that you can keep trying out sets until you find one that suits you.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I should do a War and Conquest write up at some point but it feels a little daunting making an effort post with my left hand. It's a good game. War hammer Ancients is what transitioned me from Warhammer/40k to Historicals but I found WAB 2 a disappointment and then GW axed it before it got the support it needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I... I just pulled the pin on buying Seekrieg 5. God help me...