Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Dr Pepper posted:

How do tank classes work in PvP anyway.

You're big & beefy, do decent damage, and are pretty great at pushing people off nodes.

Only one of these things is true if you're a paladin, though, and it's not one of the useful ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

You're mostly a DPS class with some extra utility. PvP actions let you peel for healers and allow you to sit on top of a casting class easier, usually have some sort of AoE damage reduction/debuff for your team too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nuru posted:

Meanwhile, I have 21 spare Hive totems. drat it, people. Slow levelers are a drag, but at least it's over.

My problem is that there was about a week period for me between hitting 60 and getting properly geared where I basically couldn't get on at all for personal reasons, and by the time I was able to run Bismark everyone had moved on and only the suckers were left.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

nuru posted:

Static only managed to get Faust to 10%. We then noticed that two of our DPS didn't have Ravana weapons and decided to farm that instead. :stare:

Meanwhile, I have 21 spare Hive totems. drat it, people. Slow levelers are a drag, but at least it's over.

I didn't imagine I'd actually have the fact I left the country for a week and a half and thus missed every turbonerd farming Bismark and Ravana EX would actually be held against me, but here we are.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Chucat posted:

I didn't imagine I'd actually have the fact I left the country for a week and a half and thus missed every turbonerd farming Bismark and Ravana EX would actually be held against me, but here we are.

You went outside, you're not committed enough for our raid static.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Fancy Corndog posted:

this game really doesn't punish you for anything. the only thing i can think of is retainer class selection

This is from a while ago, but I just started the game recently and am trying to catch up with the thread. Which retainer classes are worth going with? I'm assuming it should be one (or two) of the gathering classes?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ihatepants posted:

This is from a while ago, but I just started the game recently and am trying to catch up with the thread. Which retainer classes are worth going with? I'm assuming it should be one (or two) of the gathering classes?

Under the assumption you don't plan to pay extra for more retainers, the best pair is either double combat or combat/fisher. Reason being that both give you control over things that are pretty rng, versus the other 2 gatherers where it's pretty easy to get out there and gather your own stuff.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

My problem is that there was about a week period for me between hitting 60 and getting properly geared where I basically couldn't get on at all for personal reasons, and by the time I was able to run Bismark everyone had moved on and only the suckers were left.

For pugs, I understand the trouble. But if you're in a group of some kind, wouldn't they just drag you through Bismarck when you got back?

Chucat posted:

My static only raids 4 hours a week and managed to get the weapons for the folks who were around, but with an expansion release you're always going to have personal matters, limited spare time, scheduling conflicts, etc compounding the normal issues. It'll go away after this week I'm sure (and in our case, everyone has most if not all 180 and some alex gear, so that's great), but having a thing like Faust right there out of the gate really brings it to your attention. In a week or two of additional Alexander gear / esoterics / ravana everyone will forget Faust is a dps check anyway.

nuru fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 22, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minrad posted:

the new crafting system is genius because by the time crafters can make raid relevant gear, raiders will mostly have better.

so basically crafting is now a black hole to support other crafters crafting.

This isn't new to this system, though. It's always been like this. Even if the new system wasn't completely brutal the crafted gear would still become obsolete pretty quick.

Crafting has always been a bizarre pyramid scheme.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
My static had a lot of trouble getting past Faust last night. I'm our Scholar and since everyone else's DPS is rock solid, it falls on me to figure out how to up my damage and keep tanks alive. What I'm wondering is since a full dot stack (Bio, Bio 2, Miasma, Aero) ticks for only 135, is it even worth it to use dots considering how many GCDs it takes for the dot stack to even catch up to Broil? I'm no good with running numbers on this kind of thing, but has anyone else seen or heard anything? Basically what I wanna know is: should I stop using dots altogether for single enemies?

Holidae fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 22, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Our setup on Faust was WAR MT, DRK OT, DRG, SMN, BLM, BRD, SCH, WHM. We had the MT pull Faust to the bottom right corner. The OT stood within cure III range of the MT which was also close enough that the OT could contribute DPS while the scholar would DPS until around 30% life before switch to full time healing. Just make sure people have food and pots and are ready to burst their asses off for 2 and a half minutes strait. We had our WHM stand right behind where the OT was stacking the adds so they'd run right to him. This cleared with no kiting or LB.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Holidae posted:

My static had a lot of trouble getting past Faust last night. I'm our Scholar and since everyone else's DPS is rock solid,
Define rock solid

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Always use dots if the mob will live for the most of their duration. You should be thinking in terms of potency per GCD, and each individual dot is better than Broil in that regard. Also Bio II/Bio are 100% accurate while Broil will be missing a fair amount.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also the WHM opened with their aeros before healing. We 1% wiped on a run where aero III missed and cleared the next run. Everyone has Ravens weapons and has ilevel in the mid 180s.

After we got the oppressor to about 40% once or twice. Nothing there seems too terribly punishing but the mechanics can definitely screw you up if you're not executing them. All four DPS now have laser responsibility and resin bomb can straight up ruin your day.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Are you guys using poison pots/strength pots or just food?

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
You want to think about it in terms of total potency per GCD. Look at one of your dots' description, check for an initial hit potency, then check how much potency each dot tick should hit for. Dots tick every 3 seconds, so look at the duration of the dot in seconds, divide it by 3, then multiply that by the dot potency. Add that number to the initial hit potency and you now have the total potency of the ability.
If that number exceeds the potency of a broil, it's worth using a GCD to cast that ability instead of using a GCD to cast broil (assuming the enemy is going to be alive for the full duration of the dot.)
Leave the healing to the white mage and selene. You can help out with healing later in the encounter if your cohealer starts to struggle. That's Faust.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

Define rock solid

our lowest dps was ~1030, warrior main tanking in Deliverance the entire time, OT was within melee range of Faust to hit him. The only person that apparenlty parsed low was me at something like 350. I'm told that needs to be somewhere in the 450-500 range.

quote:

You want to think about it in terms of total potency per GCD. Look at one of your dots' description, check for an initial hit potency, then check how much potency each dot tick should hit for. Dots tick every 3 seconds, so look at the duration of the dot in seconds, divide it by 3, then multiply that by the dot potency. Add that number to the initial hit potency and you now have the total potency of the ability.
If that number exceeds the potency of a broil, it's worth using a GCD to cast that ability instead of using a GCD to cast broil (assuming the enemy is going to be alive for the full duration of the dot.)
Leave the healing to the white mage and selene. You can help out with healing later in the encounter if your cohealer starts to struggle. That's Faust.

I didn't actually start healing until 5 adds. Before then it was all dots and Broil, with the occasional bit of spot healing with lustrates when tanks started to dip too much.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Failboattootoot posted:

Under the assumption you don't plan to pay extra for more retainers, the best pair is either double combat or combat/fisher. Reason being that both give you control over things that are pretty rng, versus the other 2 gatherers where it's pretty easy to get out there and gather your own stuff.

Thanks! How would it change if I were eventually going to pay for the additional retainers?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rei_ posted:

No poison pots but most people were using one str/int/dex pot.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm so happy crafting is extra bullshit now so I can just wait for catchup mechanics and quests and only do those so I can repair my own equipment. The kindest thing Yoshi-P will ever do for me is cure me of the compulsion to level everything to cap.

Combat classes are still go, though. How did the FATE change affect the grind mob? Is N Than still packed or have folks moved on to the new zones? It's time to pick a 50, unequip my job crystal, cross Flash, and put in that sweet mindless minimal effort.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

No poison pots but most people were using one str/int/dex pot.

Yea, for mine as well we were all using Draconian Pots of [Stat]. Dunno if they had poison pots or not, I didnt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Holidae posted:

our lowest dps was ~1030, warrior main tanking in Deliverance the entire time, OT was within melee range of Faust to hit him. The only person that apparenlty parsed low was me at something like 350. I'm told that needs to be somewhere in the 450-500 range.

What percentage where you getting to?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Holidae posted:

Yea, for mine as well we were all using Draconian Pots of [Stat]. Dunno if they had poison pots or not, I didnt.

We just used plain old xpots.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

What percentage where you getting to?

We did beat him eventually, but usually it would start to fall apart around 20%. Sometimes it was a random crit from Faust killing our warrior at half health. Anytime we hit the enrage he was at around 5%.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Poisoning potions don't work past 50. There is no Heavensward equivalent. Even if there was the expected damage from them at this point makes it very doubtful they're worth it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ihatepants posted:

Thanks! How would it change if I were eventually going to pay for the additional retainers?

If you paid for 2 extra retainers beyond the initial 2 you may as well get the miner and botanist. They can save you some time by fetching up nonsense you can't be bothered to that you end up using a lot like flax, mithril or silver. They also get unique stuff they bring back in exploration like pets. You are on your own if you go with 8 retainers.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
The thing I was looking forward to most was my retainers hitting 60 and then I could get rid of all my <60 gear. Now you're telling me I can have more retainers?

The cycle begins anew.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

3 members of our static weren't there last night so we had to pug a healer and dps and get one of our backup dps. We were hitting about 20% before the paladin died. So once we have our full team together, and we sort of get the rhythm of the fight down for the healers... If we throw pots in and swap the WAR/PLD for MT/OT... We might be able to pull it off? idk

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just abandon an A2 where we had a str tank that couldn't hold aggro.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

The tankbuster in A1S does about 25,000 damage without cooldowns. I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

Is that a magic tank buster?

Tenzarin posted:

So tanks in str jewelry still king?

For Faust yes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Holyshoot posted:

Is that a magic tank buster?

For Faust yes.

Yes it's magic damage and hits a 186 DRG for about 30k.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rei_ posted:

My team used drac / xpots. We were going to use some ghetto poisons after a 0.5% heartbreaker but didn't realize until we went back in that the old 2.0 potent poison pots will not work on Faust v:shobon:v

We cut it about as close as is actually possible, but then we haven't gotten alex normal gear for the week and that'd provide 2-3 upgrade pieces for each of us. That should hopefully make Faust's DPS check less hairy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I had a dream last night about STR vs VIT accessories, I'm in too deep

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes it's magic damage and hits a 186 DRG for about 30k.

Drk supremacy. :getin:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I have been on more than one occasion tempted to get a fourth retainer and make them a miner, just because it is so drat nice to have everything else covered already. Even if you don't need any botany / mining products at the moment they can just go gather crystals for you.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Holidae posted:

That's probably a consequence of misses. I think the base chance to miss for a healer is about 5-6% from my (admittedly limited) runs at Faust, which really cuts into your DPS.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

How do tank classes work in PvP anyway.

I like slapping someone with Full Swing then double-Cleaving them with Berserk up. Tends to tear apart people at full HP. I haven't tried fitting Storm's Eye in there, but I'm sure it'd make things even goofier.

Siege is really fun, guys.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Pews posted:

The thing I was looking forward to most was my retainers hitting 60 and then I could get rid of all my <60 gear. Now you're telling me I can have more retainers?

The cycle begins anew.

You have to pay a monthly fee for them!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is there a "best" set of gear for Spiritbonding in HW for the purposes of making gil? Should I just grab the i115 set and fully bond that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vermain posted:

Is there a "best" set of gear for Spiritbonding in HW for the purposes of making gil? Should I just grab the i115 set and fully bond that?

Unless it's crafting gear/materia I don't think you'll be getting much gil out of it, right at the moment.

• Locked thread