Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A baby came in.

This means I'm off for the week. I was in town picking up some post-birth mommy supplies and popped into work to update the few people I like with news and baby pictures.

Something amazing has happened. Supervisor completely cleaned out the shop. Like, not just the mess he made after I cleaned it up while he was out. The shelves of broken appliances, mismatched cables, decades old Radio Shack gizmos, and obsolete computers are bare. My work benches that are strewn with random assortments of technological gewgaws are pristine. Everything I have been forbidden to touch, and consequently throw away, is now gone, baking in the dumpster.

But the best thing. The best thing is that after two years of complaining about back pain due to my desk chair and requesting a replacement, there is a brand new chair at my desk. Not only that, but at some point on Friday, he began CCing me on all emails involving engineering, IT, and equipment reps.

I'm not entirely sure what's gotten into him, and who knows if this is a permanent "thing," but I'm certainly not complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Somebody's taking his meds

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

larchesdanrew posted:

A baby came in.

This means I'm off for the week. I was in town picking up some post-birth mommy supplies and popped into work to update the few people I like with news and baby pictures.

Something amazing has happened. Supervisor completely cleaned out the shop. Like, not just the mess he made after I cleaned it up while he was out. The shelves of broken appliances, mismatched cables, decades old Radio Shack gizmos, and obsolete computers are bare. My work benches that are strewn with random assortments of technological gewgaws are pristine. Everything I have been forbidden to touch, and consequently throw away, is now gone, baking in the dumpster.

But the best thing. The best thing is that after two years of complaining about back pain due to my desk chair and requesting a replacement, there is a brand new chair at my desk. Not only that, but at some point on Friday, he began CCing me on all emails involving engineering, IT, and equipment reps.

I'm not entirely sure what's gotten into him, and who knows if this is a permanent "thing," but I'm certainly not complaining.

Higher ups finally got sick of his bullshit and started breathing down his neck, so he actually has to do work now or else lose his position?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

larchesdanrew posted:

A baby came in.
but I'm certainly not complaining.
Congratulations on both parts.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

larchesdanrew posted:

A baby came in.

D'aww :3: Did you thank him?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

neogeo0823 posted:

I hate walking into any business that's not the company I work for while wearing my work clothes. It doesn't mater where I work or where I am, everyone thinks I work there.

I've spoken to Dutch train conductors who had the same experience, getting asked questions about the timetable somewhere in the Czech Republic. They didn't even have their uniform, they just had an aura of "I know stuff and I will help you".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

It'll be like an IT-based episode of Hoarders. Sure, he'll stay 'clean' for a while, maybe even a few months, but eventually piles of broken poo poo will start reappearing... :ohdear:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Raleigh is supposed to be highly in demand, and cheap. It's also a college town, so it's not straight out of Deliverance.

The Denver-Boulder area seems pretty good too, if you're willing to live in a big(ish) city or be surrounded by hippies and a constant haze of pot smoke.

Dice had an article on the top 10 fastest growing tech cities, I don't remember any of them aside from Raleigh, though.

Yeah, my brother keeps trying to get me to move there. It's got Research Triangle Park, which is specifically aimed at high tech R&D companies. Raleigh has an incredible density of tech jobs.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I live there (well Chapel Hill which is next to there) and Raleigh is really nice.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Beamed posted:

D'aww :3: Did you thank him?
The kids only like 2 days old, he wont understand what thank you means.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Another day, another person opening an email with the subject WIRE TRANSFER and getting infected.

Can't wait to get out of help desk.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

pienipple posted:

Somebody's taking his meds

Yea, for sure.

See how long it lasts, but to get that motivated is like some paradigm shift in their own head.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

KoRMaK posted:

Yea, for sure.

See how long it lasts, but to get that motivated is like some paradigm shift in their own head.

That or some petty long con to make me look like the rear end in a top hat

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Another day, another person opening an email with the subject WIRE TRANSFER and getting infected.

Can't wait to get out of help desk.

Yesterday we were the target of a spear-phishing attack that was an email to an accounting VP that looked like it was from the CFO forwarding a request from the CEO to wire money to a bank in HK. I asked her "How often does the CEO request wire transfers to China?" and she said "Well I guess just that one other time."

THAT ONE OTHER TIME WAS ALSO A SCAM. :shepicide:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Yesterday we were the target of a spear-phishing attack that was an email to an accounting VP that looked like it was from the CFO forwarding a request from the CEO to wire money to a bank in HK. I asked her "How often does the CEO request wire transfers to China?" and she said "Well I guess just that one other time."

This is so great.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Isn't that kind of spear-phishing attack a good sign there's someone co-habitating on your network? Or did they just get the relevant information from public sources?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The Denver-Boulder area seems pretty good too, if you're willing to live in a big(ish) city or be surrounded by hippies and a constant haze of pot smoke.

"Willing" he says. Hanging around chill people who smoke weed sounds fan loving tastic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't that kind of spear-phishing attack a good sign there's someone co-habitating on your network? Or did they just get the relevant information from public sources?

Public sources. They have bios of all the execs on the website.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

"Willing" he says. Hanging around chill people who smoke weed sounds fan loving tastic.

I live in Colorado, I have no problem with it. But some people do. When I worked in a call center, there were people who would hang up and try to get another location because we were in Colorado. Joke was on them. Our only other site was in Washington.

gently caress Denver, though. That place is awful for the traffic alone.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Charlotte, NC is a pretty growing area. My sister just moved down there and it's a pretty neat place. Having said that, North NJ shouldn't have a shortage of tech jobs. There's a lot of places around there, you just have to know how to look.

Monster is a joke these days and has been since that big data breach. It's plagued with nothing but lovely contracts and barely any FTE positions. I don't know about you guys, but my tolerance for risk is too low to take on a contract or contract-to-hire position. At least with FTE I can get unemployment and (possibly) severance.

Take a weekend or an evening to drive through business parks in your preferred area, taking notes of the companies in them. Find their website and find their careers page. Stalk their recruiters on Linked In and get their direct e-mail address. That's how I search for jobs these days because half the time you put your resume in their system it gets discarded anyway, but when you open a direct line with their people it's more likely to get seen by the right people.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm trying to diagnose a machine that's reporting a failed IPMI/iDRAC controller. Tech says they need the DSET logs real bad and since the system isn't giving them up he advises to reboot the system.

I get the clients permission so I reboot the machine remotely (a tragic mistake on my part). It still doesn't come up after twenty minutes so I have them do a hard restart. Still nothing so I go on site to find the iDRAC isn't even showing a link light which isn't good. So I hook it up to a monitor and keyboard and hard restart it again.

I am met with a screen saying that iDRAC isn't detected are you sure you want to boot. System won't boot because iDRAC isn't detected but the first thing the tech told me to do is to reboot the system because sometimes that fixes iDRAC not being recognized.

:doh:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 22, 2015

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

pr0digal posted:

I'm trying to diagnose a machine that's reporting a failed IPMI/iDRAC controller. Tech says they need the DSET logs real bad and since the system isn't giving them up he advises to reboot the system.

I get the clients permission so I reboot the machine remotely (a tragic mistake on my part). It still doesn't come up after twenty minutes so I have them do a hard restart. Still nothing so I go on site to find the iDRAC isn't even showing a link light which isn't good. So I hook it up to a monitor and keyboard and hard restart it again.

I am met with a screen saying that iDRAC isn't detected are you sure you want to boot. System won't boot because iDRAC isn't detected but the first thing the tech told me to do is to reboot the system because sometimes that fixes iDRAC not being recognized.

:doh:

Sounds like someone is probably confusing the rebooting of the server with the rebooting of the iDRAC. Even a hard reset will not reboot the iDRAC. There are only 2 hard resets of the iDRAC - a virtual power drain by the board, and a full power drain of the system. Doesn't sound like you can do the former since the iDRAC is unresponsive and not sure if a soft reset via the i-Button on the front will work.

Is this your vendor again or straight from Dell?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Lightning Jim posted:

Sounds like someone is probably confusing the rebooting of the server with the rebooting of the iDRAC. Even a hard reset will not reboot the iDRAC. There are only 2 hard resets of the iDRAC - a virtual power drain by the board, and a full power drain of the system. Doesn't sound like you can do the former since the iDRAC is unresponsive and not sure if a soft reset via the i-Button on the front will work.

Is this your vendor again or straight from Dell?

Vendor.

I pulled power for a good five minutes and still nothing. I'm using a bootable USB to get the DSET logs even though the tech says we should be good to boot the system (we're not doing this). I mean it's just used for remote access right?

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 22, 2015

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

larchesdanrew posted:

A baby came in.

Something amazing has happened. Supervisor completely cleaned out the shop.

there is a brand new chair at my desk.

Not only that, but at some point on Friday, he began CCing me on all emails involving engineering, IT, and equipment reps.

The IT Messiah has been born.

I call a disciple spot!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
After a lovely Tuesday full of helpdesk I decided I'm not OK with giving the Powers that Be time to respond and I'm going to ask my boss the status of my raise request at 4 PM.

That gives him enough time to approve my vacation request for next M/Tu/W. I already have off tomorrow and Friday for a convention, I'm driving down to Cape May on Monday for a shortened version of my intended vacation for later in the week.

I will be deleting my company email and not covering oncall on Saturday as a unilateral action. I will not be answering any calls unless it's from my family - gotta know what's going on with my grandfather. At this point I'm just about willing to play the goony goon.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Vendor.

I pulled power for a good five minutes and still nothing. I'm using a bootable USB to get the DSET logs even though the tech says we should be good to boot the system (we're not doing this). I mean it's just used for remote access right?

Yeah. It's not required to boot, but I wonder if it can even pull the system event logs. Probably a dead iDRAC and a motherboard replacement is going to be needed.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Lightning Jim posted:

Yeah. It's not required to boot, but I wonder if it can even pull the system event logs. Probably a dead iDRAC and a motherboard replacement is going to be needed.

We use iDRAC pretty extensively so even if I managed to pull the logs off the LiveUSB (it kernel panicked on me) we're going to leave it off until the iDRAC is replaced. The SAN runs without this server as it's the secondary node. We'll just lose HA.

I agree that it's a mobo replacement but they won't do anything without the DSET logs. Even though I sent him two pictures of it saying it can't find the iDRAC.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

We had a dead iDRAC on an r320. Ended up being a motherboard replacement, but if you leave the server to its own devices and keep telling it to retry, it should finally boot after the 3rd or 4th failure to access the iDRAC.

Thankfully we have a Raritan KVM thingy and don't use the iDRACS.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Boogalo posted:

We had a dead iDRAC on an r320. Ended up being a motherboard replacement, but if you leave the server to its own devices and keep telling it to retry, it should finally boot after the 3rd or 4th failure to access the iDRAC.

Thankfully we have a Raritan KVM thingy and don't use the iDRACS.

Yeah it boots to the BIOS and then stops asking me if I'm really sure I want to proceed. It will not continue to boot without user intervention. Goddamn USB live boot continues to kernel panic :smith:

At a certain point I'm just going to start cc'ing our sales rep on the emails if the tech continues to insist I send him logs which I may not be able to pull.

I work for an MSP so we do a lot of remote work so iDRACS is quite useful to us.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lightning Jim posted:

Probably a dead iDRAC

aren't vampires undead?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

I will be deleting my company email and not covering oncall on Saturday as a unilateral action. I will not be answering any calls unless it's from my family - gotta know what's going on with my grandfather. At this point I'm just about willing to play the goony goon.

Good poo poo. I'm rooting for you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MJP posted:

After a lovely Tuesday full of helpdesk I decided I'm not OK with giving the Powers that Be time to respond and I'm going to ask my boss the status of my raise request at 4 PM.

That gives him enough time to approve my vacation request for next M/Tu/W. I already have off tomorrow and Friday for a convention, I'm driving down to Cape May on Monday for a shortened version of my intended vacation for later in the week.

It's a magical thing when someone finally pushes against the edge of their personal "Bullshit Tolerance Threshold".

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's a magical thing when someone finally pushes against the edge of their personal "Bullshit Tolerance Threshold" and doesn't get fired.

Because there are far too many companies where the reaction to growing a spine is "yeah we don't want any of those get out".

Best of luck MJP.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

aren't vampires undead?

:D
There's a reason one of my friends called his server Wolfman with the iDRAC being Dracula.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i forget but there is a way to reset the dracs from within the OS. same with IPMI

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
What timezone is MJP in, I'm dying here :f5:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

larchesdanrew posted:

A baby came in.

Congrats on the new member of your IT team. From one new IT parent to another - don't start any projects at work in the next few months. Maybe don't take on anything that isn't documented, because you won't have the brainpower to spare. Also, I think your manager, disorganized as he is, probably spent the better part of your first day off thinking you'd gone on strike, and cleaned up out of panic over possibly losing you. I can't believe I made it through that sentence without breaking out laughing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dick Trauma posted:

this almost happened to a client of mine a few weeks ago. they were buying some equipment, buyer e-mails his rep asking for wire instructions, rep then e-mails the seller. like 5 loving minutes later the buyer gets bogus wire instructions from a spoof of the rep's account and almost sent the money before he decided to double check the wire info since they had purchased stuff from them before. :kingsley:

Gealar
May 2, 2013
About 30 people I work with had a training session on some software this week, that no one has used here before. So we knew nothing about how it worked or the problems it might have and it needed to be on all our spares just in case. Turns out we needed all of the spares because people don't plan ahead and get their laptops ready or even ask us to get it ready. Class starts and all 5 of us are in the back of the room waiting for something to fall apart. It worked, not a single issue from any of the machines. It seems like a mini miracle, but as we are about to leave one of them pulls me aside and says there is a problem. The problem was "If I turn on these two coffee makers at the same time it trips the breaker in the surge protector." Its nice that the only issue that came out of this was a old surge protector that couldn't handle two coffee makers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

What timezone is MJP in, I'm dying here :f5:

MJP is going to :yotj: after they deny his raise request, then they are going to pay the Citrix consultant $300/hour to reset people's passwords. Then some executive gets a fat bonus for keeping payroll costs down. Then the company decides "Hmm I guess we don't need a sysadmin or a helpdesk guy after all." Then the Citrix guy goes :homebrew:

• Locked thread