Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Taear posted:

They're all in Witcher 1 and they're using the same voices. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Back in the original they made the choice to have the main cast be American. But it's not entirely inconsistent with the other voices in the game, as far as I'm aware- all the different regional accents in the game are tied to specific locations. We don't know what people from Maribor sound like, the only one we ever meet is Triss. Personally I'd like to believe that Maribor is post-conjunction Malibu, so they all sound like her.

All the witchers speak American or Trans-atlantic english. In the books it says that Geralt learns a Rivian accent to make it sound like he's from there, but 1) the games never say that 2) we never meet anyone else from Rivia.

Letho's actor is Welsh, but his accent is... indeterminable, which is perfect for his character. (I love Letho's voice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Technically, Geralt is speaking with an older accent anyway.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

It's a real bummer that the race that Cleaver enters you into is the hardest race (and one time only at that) and as such gives you the most blinging saddle. Zerrikanian saddle you receive later is better but is a far less ornate version of the saddle you win in that race.

Is that the superior cavalry saddle that's that rocking black one?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

Last night, I realized that the alternate control mode seems to make swimming easier too!!! Now, it looks like you can swim up or down by aiming the camera up or down. Previously, you had to hold buttons to "sink" or "surface," and Geralt would otherwise swim parallel to the ground no matter where you aimed the camera.

That's some mighty disinformation you're spreading there mate.
I haven't even played 1.07 and I definitely swam up and down by pointing my cursor there. Isn't that how everyone does it all the time? Trying to not drown by holding space takes way too long and doesn't seem to be affected by fast swimming.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

I've always been skeptical of this claim- RP is very recent, but the various regional accents of Britain didn't just develop overnight. Certainly RP influenced them, but it didn't create them.

Similarly, I think if you could hear a recording of, say, George Washington speaking, you'd be hard pressed to identify his accent as american or british, it would probably sound pretty foreign to us. The modern standard american accent is also a pretty modern innovation, regional accents used to be a lot stronger before mass media. The US also, for a time, taught our own version of RP, the trans-atlantic accent, in schools. You can still hear it in movies, the Lord of the Rings movies are full of it. You can hear a version of trans-atlantic in old newsreels and movies too. But people actually used to speak that way, not just in movies or radio.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GrossMurpel posted:

That's some mighty disinformation you're spreading there mate.
I haven't even played 1.07 and I definitely swam up and down by pointing my cursor there. Isn't that how everyone does it all the time? Trying to not drown by holding space takes way too long and doesn't seem to be affected by fast swimming.

The game is *very* misleading with the controls, and I used to do the same thing he's describing.

On PS4, I'll hold square to dive from the surface and then from there just use the right stick to aim geralt where I want to go. Holding X when I want to swim faster (even when diving). Once I figured out the swimming was about aiming the camera and not holding square I did much better.

PS (minor ending spoiler) knowing that "swim faster" also works while surfacing saves your rear end in that boss fight near the end. By the way is there a way to die there or what? I ended up using one of those vitality "decoctions" (potions) to regen all my health after all my air and health were near gone, was about to use another right near the surface when the game went into cutscene mode. Is it one of those things where you go to the cutscene regardless or is it "gently caress you if you don't have Killer Whale"? Because I didn't.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I've always been skeptical of this claim- RP is very recent, but the various regional accents of Britain didn't just develop overnight. Certainly RP influenced them, but it didn't create them.

Similarly, I think if you could hear a recording of, say, George Washington speaking, you'd be hard pressed to identify his accent as american or british, it would probably sound pretty foreign to us. The modern standard american accent is also a pretty modern innovation, regional accents used to be a lot stronger before mass media. The US also, for a time, taught our own version of RP, the trans-atlantic accent, in schools. You can still hear it in movies, the Lord of the Rings movies are full of it. You can hear a version of trans-atlantic in old newsreels and movies too. But people actually used to speak that way, not just in movies or radio.

Well yeah, I've had the same thoughts myself about the regional dialects of Britain, though I wonder how they'd sound without the influence of RP. I'd imagine Geralt and the rest don't really have accents that would be accurate to the real-world timeframe The Witcher world kinda-sorta correlates to, my point was more that the notion that RP=ancient times accent, which is so prevalent in fiction, isn't really accurate either. But then, the English language was really different in general long ago, to the point where the writings from those time periods are almost indecipherable to those who aren't learned in them.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Don't TV journalists also purposely try to train out accent out of their voice? I know a lot of broadcast journalists come from the mid-west because it's the most "neutral" of accents.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only one that thought the fist fights were easy as hell?

I think I only actually lost a total of three times, and one of those I lost on purpose to make the dude's girlfriend think he was hot poo poo.

Just always be blocking until they throw their power move and then parry it and hit them 2-3 times and block again. Repeat until dead. Dodge to the side, not back. For fights with multiple people, move around so the dude you're hitting on is between you and the other enemies.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Moridin920 posted:

Am I the only one that thought the fist fights were easy as hell?

I think I only actually lost a total of three times, and one of those I lost on purpose to make the dude's girlfriend think he was hot poo poo.

Just always be blocking until they throw their power move and then parry it and hit them 2-3 times and block again. Repeat until dead. Dodge to the side, not back. For fights with multiple people, move around so the dude you're hitting on is between you and the other enemies.

the only one I lost to is (quest spoiler, Skellige)that ghost dude who's cursed to lose forever. Also, seriously Skellige, your champion is a bear? I should have seen that coming.

Yeah, keep your distance, counter 2-3 quick jabs. The only one that was moderately difficult was the Elf in Novigrad and that's only because of the loving scaffold in the middle of the fight area. He's a quick bitch though so you definitely can't get 3 jabs in. He'll punish you mercilessly if you gently caress up.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The fist fights are largely pretty easy because you're only fighting one dude. dodge punch or parry punch your way to victory works for almost every encounter.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The only real hard part about 1v1 fist fights is when you get caught on something or gently caress up a counter and then 10 jabs come your way. Geralt staggers for loving ever.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So what's this small patch Steam just downloaded?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JetsGuy posted:

The only real hard part about 1v1 fist fights is when you get caught on something or gently caress up a counter and then 10 jabs come your way. Geralt staggers for loving ever.

Yeah that's true.

Drunk rear end in a top hat witcher.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah that's true.

Drunk rear end in a top hat witcher.

JetsGuy posted:

Pretty sure you can still parry the second jab in a combo even if the first one hit you right in the face.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

beer_war posted:

So what's this small patch Steam just downloaded?

Hopefully a hotfix for achievements not unlocking!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Back in the original they made the choice to have the main cast be American. But it's not entirely inconsistent with the other voices in the game, as far as I'm aware- all the different regional accents in the game are tied to specific locations. We don't know what people from Maribor sound like, the only one we ever meet is Triss. Personally I'd like to believe that Maribor is post-conjunction Malibu, so they all sound like her.

All the witchers speak American or Trans-atlantic english. In the books it says that Geralt learns a Rivian accent to make it sound like he's from there, but 1) the games never say that 2) we never meet anyone else from Rivia.

Letho's actor is Welsh, but his accent is... indeterminable, which is perfect for his character. (I love Letho's voice).
Yeah I always just assumed most of the "American" accents in the game picked up their speech patterns from the southerly end of the Northern Kingdims. Lyria, Rivia, and Maribor are all on the south extremes of the current border with Nilfgaard at the game series' start just north of the Yaruga.

Ciri is from Cintra, which is slightly further south, but she's a loving princess so it's not weird for her to have a different accent than the lower classes.

And yeah Letho's voice is great. The way it works out, it almost sounds like he's a Nilfgaardian trying to fake a Nordling accent and not entirely succeeding.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man as fantastic as this game is what the hell is up with GOG Galaxy. I get it's a beta but it just randomly downgraded my game back down to 1.06 what are you doing! I heard that moving it off C: causes issues but come on

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love Letho's voice, too.

Sometimes I watch the W2 cinematic where Letho meets Iorveth and shows him Demavend's head just because.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He'd have me totally sold on assassinating kings, I gotta admit.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Moridin920 posted:

I love Letho's voice, too.

Sometimes I watch the W2 cinematic where Letho meets Iorveth and shows him Demavend's head just because.

"Bow low, you stand before a head crowned." was the moment I knew I loved that game

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm still pissed they recast his character on Game of Thrones before writing him out of the show.

EDIT: for those that don't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKidXDTkzQ

"When you meet your Gods, tell them Letho of Gulet, of the School of the Viper sent you."

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 22, 2015

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Seems like 1.07 still has its share of bugs. Started a new game and can't "liberate" the little shrine by the road in White Orchard because the ghouls didn't spawn for some reason. :sigh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Seems like 1.07 still has its share of bugs. Started a new game and can't "liberate" the little shrine by the road in White Orchard because the ghouls didn't spawn for some reason. :sigh:
I had an occurrence of a monster nest not spawning its monsters and I just walked up and nuked the thing. Then I walked past later and the monsters were there :confused:

I did liberate that shrine successfully, though. This was a game I started just three days ago once 1.7 hit.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Meditate if monsters don't spawn. They should spawn in.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

It was like that for me at release. Meditating at the shrine fixed it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Bort Bortles posted:

I had an occurrence of a monster nest not spawning its monsters and I just walked up and nuked the thing. Then I walked past later and the monsters were there :confused:

I did liberate that shrine successfully, though. This was a game I started just three days ago once 1.7 hit.

My favorite Monster Nest spawn-thing is when you walk right up, lay the bomb, walk away of course (because cool guys never look at explosions), and then a Ghoul/Drowner decides now is the time to spawn, jsut as the bomb blows up. :xd:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well my Witcher 2 save got hosed because the universe is spiteful, and verifying the integrity just hosed it harder (neither mouse, keyboard, nor gamepad worked.)

I think I'm just going to skip straight to witcher 3. Though, I gotta say the older games are definitely hot garbage, which is not giving me the warm fuzzies moving forward.

fe: I ended up recovering my save, and am now playing on easy, I don't know if more corrupt saves are in my future, but at least the game is tedious grindy "poke poke poke" bs forever.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Sharmat posted:

Spoilers for the second half of the game, if you haven't gotten a warning to save before you do a certain quest, don't read this:I am of course talking about Geralt finding Ciri on the Isle of Mists and believing she's dead.

I'm sad, because I could tell how great that scene would be, buuuut I chose the Wolf armor, and a good chunk of Geralt's head kept clipping through its stuck-out neck-thing whenever he looked down :(

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Guys! GUYS!!! I finally beat it! Spilers:Radovid reigns in genocide, Emreis dies by his own people, and Ciri and Geralt go off to form the ultimate father/daughter witcher team.
I'm still playing Arkham Knight, but I'm already ready to start this again. Thinking of doing an alchemist/swordsman build. Anyone have any tips?

e:edited for spelling

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 23, 2015

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Spend points in alchemist/swordsman tree

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

10 Beers posted:

Guys! GUYS!!! I finally beat it! Spilers:Radovid reigns in genocide, Emeril dies by his own people, and Ciri and Geralt go off to form the ultimate father/daughter witcher team.
I'm still playing Arkham Knight, but I'm already ready to start this again. Thinking of doing an alchemist/swordsman build. Anyone have any tips?
Did Emeril piss off the dishwashers or the wait staff? I thought he was a nice guy....

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bort Bortles posted:

Did Emeril piss off the dishwashers or the wait staff? I thought he was a nice guy....

You know how it is, one minute you're sous chef, then BAM you're the main course.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

It lets you counter attack and stun them. This is explained in the tutorial at Kaer Morhen.

I meant "what does holding it down, after hitting it to counter, do?" and the answer is "nothing, unless you missed the counter".

If Yennifer is at Kaer Morhen helping me with Uma, does that mean I hosed up my Triss romance path somehow? or is it just scripted to be this way. I thought it was scripted, but the guy on the "to bait a forktail" quest said something that made me wonder if I could have had Triss here instead.

edit: Also, concerning the "The Last Wish" quest... I didn't do it, but am I supposed to understand that The Last Wish hasn't happened yet? That Yen and Geralt aren't bound together by fate? I assumed this was something that happened in the first game, since it's in a book in this game.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 23, 2015

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I feel bad only being able to give 40 coins to starving orphans when Geralt is carrying about 6000 coins.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Also, seriously Skellige, your champion is a bear? I should have seen that coming.

Wait until you meet the Champion of Champions. My reaction to that can be summed up as follows: "loving Skellige. :allears:"

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 23, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snak posted:

edit: Also, concerning the "The Last Wish" quest... I didn't do it, but am I supposed to understand that The Last Wish hasn't happened yet? That Yen and Geralt aren't bound together by fate? I assumed this was something that happened in the first game, since it's in a book in this game.
it directly deals with the events of that story, which have happened.

Yen wants to dispel the effects of that wish to see if she and Geralt still love each other without the wish.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Snak posted:

I meant "what does holding it down, after hitting it to counter, do?" and the answer is "nothing, unless you missed the counter".

If Yennifer is at Kaer Morhen helping me with Uma, does that mean I hosed up my Triss romance path somehow? or is it just scripted to be this way. I thought it was scripted, but the guy on the "to bait a forktail" quest said something that made me wonder if I could have had Triss here instead.

first thing: Triss shows up after you find Ciri.

second thing: the quest in this game is to break The Last Wish to see if Yen still has feelings for Geralt. at the end of the quest after the wish is broken you can choose how Geralt feels afterwards.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

second thing: the quest in this game is to break The Last Wish to see if Yen still has feelings for Geralt. at the end of the quest after the wish is broken you can choose how Geralt feels afterwards.
Aww poo poo I should have done the quest. Oh well, my in-character logic for not doing was still sound:STOP MESSING AROUND WITH DJINNS YEN GOD DAMMIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Snak posted:

Aww poo poo I should have done the quest. Oh well, my in-character logic for not doing was still sound:STOP MESSING AROUND WITH DJINNS YEN GOD DAMMIT

Who the hell says "nah I don't wanna do this quest involving a main character" in an Action-RPG? What is this. You do all the quests!!! That's what they're for!!