Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

pogo posted:

Right, thanks. I've heard them talking about (for example) teammates of GC contenders launching attacks to see if Sky will bite. I didn't understand why they would bother chasing down a non-contender - would the second part of your reply above apply here? i.e. they might chase down the non-contender to make sure the actual contender doesn't have that advantage later?

Yes and no. Quintana has a big advantage in that he has Valverde as his team mate whos sat in 3rd place in the GC who they would chase if he tried to go up the road. I don't think sky would bother to chase down someone outside the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Kwiato abandons, the fsapocalypse begins

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surely the peloton need to react to Frank? He must be pushing for 3rd place on the road right now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Astana have woken up.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
This is going to get ugly, that cloud looks horrid.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Anyone have a link to a good read that explains tactics in road racing for those of us new to it?

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Stunning view on that shot of Geschke descending, those black clouds phwoar.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

my heart skipped a beat there

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

kim jong-illin posted:

Anyone have a link to a good read that explains tactics in road racing for those of us new to it?

Start here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meUC6lmW81Q

His other video's are also pretty interesting , maybe a bit fast if you're just starting

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I appreciate the link but anything in text? I'm deaf - can't follow most YouTube videos.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

This is a great stage.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

pogo posted:

Right, thanks. I've heard them talking about (for example) teammates of GC contenders launching attacks to see if Sky will bite. I didn't understand why they would bother chasing down a non-contender - would the second part of your reply above apply here? i.e. they might chase down the non-contender to make sure the actual contender doesn't have that advantage later?

If I have 2-3 guys up the road, they can tackle the tough terrain at a calmer pace than the peloton will have to, so should be fresher when I reach them to do work for me up a climb or pound the flat before a climb. If my rival's teammates are spent working for him before then it can add an advantage. It requires a lot of things to fall into place, it's a risk because I will be more exposed due to a lack of teammates before any move, the move I make has to stick otherwise it's wasted energy, my teammates may not be able to deliver when I get there as getting in the break takes a lot of effort. Sometimes it works.

Like just what happened with Porte, he was able to climb slow and avoid the accelerations of the top riders and join up with Froome just now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
And Porte's there. Sky seem to have played this really well.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

And Porte's there. Sky seem to have played this really well.

They've still got Roche further up too.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Pinot has lost his bottle on this descent, probably not that surprising really.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Damnit Bert

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Pinot really is a garbage descender.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

kim jong-illin posted:

I appreciate the link but anything in text? I'm deaf - can't follow most YouTube videos.

I'm sorry. There seem to be subtitles however. I don't have another good guide ready atm :(

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Sherwin doubling down on the Kenya shtick.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Geschke almost taken out by his own team car for the second time, I can't take all of this

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kim jong-illin posted:

These articles of his might be helpful to read through: http://cyclingtips.com.au/cycling-tips/ It doesn't cover everything, but should give you an idea of the types of things racers are thinking about.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Has anyone managed to pick up how Thibaut Pinot is doing from the coverage? It's really unclear.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Quality beard on Geschke, wonder if he uses Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo on it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Has anyone managed to pick up how Thibaut Pinot is doing from the coverage? It's really unclear.

Hes like 2 minutes back I think?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Jalabert getting pissed off at everyone because the time indications are misleading/wrong.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Hes like 2 minutes back I think?

I was joking, the camera was glued to him.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pocket's Ghetto Tour Timing: I have Pinot 2 minutes back on the lead.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is this a good time to remind the thread that Froome still hasn't crashed despite being so much worse at bike control than the other GC contenders?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Pocket's Ghetto Tour Timing: I have Pinot 2 minutes back on the lead.

Gaylords Ghetto tour commentary: Contadors hosed.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Amazing ride by Geschke. When he went I never would have thought it would stick.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Skarsnik posted:

Is this a good time to remind the thread that Froome still hasn't crashed despite being so much worse at bike control than the other GC contenders?

It has to be said that every time there was a descent in a large group prior to this one the Sporza commentary noted that Sky put people up front to dampen the speed.

It might just be that he's more confident when there's less people around him.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Are you suggesting he actually has good bike control he just has a ugly as hell riding style :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

IndustrialApe posted:

It has to be said that every time there was a descent in a large group prior to this one the Sporza commentary noted that Sky put people up front to dampen the speed.

It might just be that he's more confident when there's less people around him.

I Imagine hes just more worried about getting hit by someone else.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nibbles says 'gently caress that'

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

My work has blocked all the streams :qq:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
jesus froome is so loving strong

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

At least he didn't outsprint Nairo today :)

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Announcers got their dig in at the modern ski town architecture at the last possible minute.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

More proof that he's doping with doping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

Phlegmish posted:

More proof that he's doping with doping.

Electronic stabilizer built into his bike I say!

Movistar isn't going to do anything except hold on to their podium places, are they?