Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Gin_Rummy posted:

Can anyone provide a quick bit of advice? I'm a bit behind the times and only just got The Old Gods tonight. I was having an absolute blast with the subjugation CB, but then I conquered the kingdom of Denmark when they were weak, which tripled my territory and ended my ambitions of further subjugation

Now that all that is done, I am seemingly making - 2 gold per month and I keep getting seriously pissed off vassals (I think of the people I have conquered) who continuously start very powerful factions against me. Is there some kind of Viking play style mechanic I'm overlooking to make more money/keep my guys in line, or did I just kind of screw myself through rapid expansion?

Norse pagans can raid their neighbors, and with boats, any coastal territory. Toggle the looter flag on the group of units in friendly territory and then send them off to pillage. To find prime places to loot, look for clusters of independent feudal counties (Hint: Britannia) that are any shade of green on the economy map. If you're raiding with boats, you need to return the boat to a friendly harbor to gain your accumulated gold and prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I love when my spymaster is a Slow Elusive Shadow. Makes me imagine Littlefinger talking like Forest Gump. :allears:

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

I love when my spymaster is a Slow Elusive Shadow. Makes me imagine Littlefinger talking like Forest Gump. :allears:

Makes me imagine show Littlefinger.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Famethrowa posted:

Me mam always said that life was like a laddah.

Space Pussy posted:

Makes me imagine show Littlefinger.
Also book Littlefinger.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Oh, dear. It would appear that the new barony wars don't accumulate warscore for controlling the target. This makes dealing with the scattered baronies of holy orders even worse than it was before.

edit: God, once you get big enough, inheriting a clan is about the worst thing in the world.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 22, 2015

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Me mam always said that life was like a laddah.

Good point. Heh.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Took a while, and a significant chunk of Eurasia burnt to the ground, but I finally got a clan population of a million.

Yearly income from nomad tax is somewhere around 2000; I haven't checked it in a while.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 22, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to check if there's a title I need for the Samrat Chakravartin decision that I don't have? I've looked up and down the entire Indian territory and can't see any crests indicating a barony controlled by someone outside my realm, but the decision is still blocked off saying I don't control all of "The India".

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Isn't there a way to check available CBs in the ledger? Scan that for a de jure war with a baron.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Strudel Man posted:

Took a while, and a significant chunk of Eurasia burnt to the ground, but I finally got a clan population of a million.

Yearly income from nomad tax is somewhere around 2000; I haven't checked it in a while.

Did you ever run into the bug where you inherit baronies (without getting a message that you did and no message about it in the log) and they are set as your capital automatically while still keeping the "capital" Yurt in your previous capital province and makes you unable to remove the holding as a capital even though there is empty holdings in the county? I've ran into the bug several times in my game, it started happening when I switched over to the beta patch even though it is supposed to fix that problem according to the patch notes.
It really fucks you over as the bonuses from the buildings in your capital stop working so your max pop will plummet (went from 170k to 90k for me) making your armies unable to reinforce.
Only positive thing is that it gives you unlimited invasion CBs that your vassal khans can complete for you.

Despite that bug Nomads are really fun to play, although extremely overpowered, here's me subjugating the entire Abbasid blob a few decades after the start of the game:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
after the end needs hordes badly

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Not as bad as Geheimnisnacht.

Beastman hordes? :getin:

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Matrim posted:

Norse pagans can raid their neighbors, and with boats, any coastal territory. Toggle the looter flag on the group of units in friendly territory and then send them off to pillage. To find prime places to loot, look for clusters of independent feudal counties (Hint: Britannia) that are any shade of green on the economy map. If you're raiding with boats, you need to return the boat to a friendly harbor to gain your accumulated gold and prestige.

That makes plenty of sense. I thought that just by being at war I was "raiding." I had no idea there was a specific flag for it!

Any tips for keeping the vassals happy? Or, is that pretty much limited to the same options as a Christian play through?

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Not as bad as Geheimnisnacht.

Beastman hordes? :getin:

Hmm, I've never seen orcs spelled that way before...

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I have two problems I can't figure out.

When I take counties with more than one holding pillaging a holding doesn't seem to destroy the holdin and I just piss off the county. Is this a bug? When I get a county with just one holding usually pillaging will destroy the holding.. Unless the holding is building something.

Also, my heir who just inherited was Sunni. So now my horde has all turned Sunni. How the hell to I switch back to tengrI? I was expecting a decision to just switch back but I guess that decision is just for heresies.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Also, my heir who just inherited was Sunni. So now my horde has all turned Sunni. How the hell to I switch back to tengrI? I was expecting a decision to just switch back but I guess that decision is just for heresies.

There are fewer options for converting to an unreformed pagan religion than there are for converting to a non-pagan religion. Your best bet is moving your capital to a Tengri province. If you have 1000 piety and you're independent, you'll be able to convert to the local religion.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Hordes can switch to the religion of any of the other clan heads in the horde. If you've got any Tengri clan heads left, it should be an interaction option with them to switch back.

Otherwise, make sure your heir is Tengri. If you've got a non-heir Tengri son, send him off to be a mercenary so he has the prestige to become heir. Otherwise, send your son off to be mentored by a Tengri somewhere.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
How is Way of Life? I think I'm gonna relent and buy Horse Lords and the content pack for that (even though I only play this game like twice a year :argh:) and I'm wondering if I should get that too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Way of Life is great and worth the money, especially because they decided maybe to finally bugfix some of the event chains

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gin_Rummy posted:

That makes plenty of sense. I thought that just by being at war I was "raiding." I had no idea there was a specific flag for it!

Any tips for keeping the vassals happy? Or, is that pretty much limited to the same options as a Christian play through?
Raiding actually helps with that some, since you can get prestige (helpful early on when your new rules don't start with huge amounts at birth) --- and might get the Viking trait, which vassals respect.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The berserker trait is great too

:black101:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Gin_Rummy posted:

Norse culture also has a great set of honorary titles (don't forget you have 4 hirdman titles) to award your vassals. But really, the biggest thing about keeping vassals happy is that they have their own desires. Hover over their opinion with you on their character sheet to see what this entails. Some vassals will be ambitious, which is -50 opinion of liege. I like to plot to kill these ones, or if they get too feisy I'll imprison and blot them. Some of your other vassals might desire jarldoms (duchies) that are under your control. I solve this by owning every county in a duchy that I have a title over. Other vassals might want control of one of your vassals, in this case it's best to just transfer vassalage to them.

When you're back on your feet and you have a goodly amount of spare manpower, I'd revoke titles and setup your empire so that one duke has control of each duchy. This will probably solve a lot of your opinion issues, and help keep you under your vassal limit.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

Did you ever run into the bug where you inherit baronies (without getting a message that you did and no message about it in the log) and they are set as your capital automatically while still keeping the "capital" Yurt in your previous capital province and makes you unable to remove the holding as a capital even though there is empty holdings in the county? I've ran into the bug several times in my game, it started happening when I switched over to the beta patch even though it is supposed to fix that problem according to the patch notes.
No, but I suspect that's because I didn't keep any baron vassals, at least not for long. Everything was revoked for pillaging purposes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just noticed the button to forbid yourself to lead armies.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

The great Plain factions (Lakotah, Cherokee, etc.) in that mod should get to be hordes, riding out and terrorizing feudal America.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

The After the End devs have stated that they want the Amerindians in Texas/Oklahoma to be settled and feudal, ruling over a majority white population.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Comanche kingdom as the bulwark of Christendom is pretty great.

Just they need their own unique titular empire, the Empire of the Summer Moon :colbert:.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

It would definitely spice up the Lakotah, though, who currently exist as an easy crusade target and little else.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

LaSalsaVerde posted:

The After the End devs have stated that they want the Amerindians in Texas/Oklahoma to be settled and feudal, ruling over a majority white population.
I just like having the Indian Wars inverted for once.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

verbal enema posted:

Just noticed the button to forbid yourself to lead armies.

Which is nice, but if you have a liege and a high Martial score he will spam you like once a year with requests to lead an army. It's not a huge deal (you can just ignore them, there's no opinion malus for it or anything) but a "No rear end in a top hat, I am never leading any of your armies" button would be a nice quality of life enhancement.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Why not make the Grangelander Kingdoms nomads? Platte and Iowa, maybe the Longhorns and The Fifty One...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

25 prisoners taken in a single siege, I've never seen this happening before.

That'll teach Svithjod to attack mega-Francia while I still had my free subjugation CB!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The great Plain factions (Lakotah, Cherokee, etc.) in that mod should get to be hordes, riding out and terrorizing feudal America.
i was thinking more along the lines of those atomic freaks in the mojave.

in other news, the horse lords music is amazing

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 22, 2015

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Strudel Man posted:

No, but I suspect that's because I didn't keep any baron vassals, at least not for long. Everything was revoked for pillaging purposes.

How did you manage to revoke all baronies without having all the other feudal vassals hate you? Or did you only keep completely empty provinces and gave away all the vassals to the other khans?

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

THE BAR posted:

25 prisoners taken in a single siege, I've never seen this happening before.

I've definitely noticed a greater number of prisoners being taken since Horse Lords. Also a lot more deaths due to diseases, but that might just be bad luck.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

mornhaven posted:

I've definitely noticed a greater number of prisoners being taken since Horse Lords. Also a lot more deaths due to diseases, but that might just be bad luck.

No, that is 100% WAD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/oh-god-the-diseases.872086/page-2#post-19673881

It's going to be a while until I run a game up to ~1350, but given how deadly the normal diseases are I'm interested to see what the Black Death looks like now :stare:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

How did you manage to revoke all baronies without having all the other feudal vassals hate you? Or did you only keep completely empty provinces and gave away all the vassals to the other khans?
The great majority of my conquests were by the population-limited invasion CB, in which I occupied everything so that all holdings went directly to me. I only had scattered feudal vassals, left over from other conquests or retracted from my nomad vassals, such that it didn't matter if every single one of them absolutely hated me.

The exception was earlier on, in which I subjugated the Abbasids; I had to gradually work through them, and there were a few independence revolts I had to fight off. Once you defeat one or two, though, your major feudal vassals are all imprisoned, and it again doesn't matter as much if they all hate you.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Is there currently a way to kill my sons? I remember there being an option to pay and see if an assassin could do it, but that doesn't seem to be present. On top of that, the "plot to kill" option doesn't seem to want to let me pick my own sons for this. I'm kind of at a loss, because I need to lose one of these little bastards before my giant viking empire crumbles.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is there currently a way to kill my sons? I remember there being an option to pay and see if an assassin could do it, but that doesn't seem to be present. On top of that, the "plot to kill" option doesn't seem to want to let me pick my own sons for this. I'm kind of at a loss, because I need to lose one of these little bastards before my giant viking empire crumbles.

Can you make the less awesome one take the vows? Excommunicate -> Imprison -> Order to Take Vows is my go-to for dealing with less capable sons that stand before their awesome siblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

HaitianDivorce posted:

Can you make the less awesome one take the vows? Excommunicate -> Imprison -> Order to Take Vows is my go-to for dealing with less capable sons that stand before their awesome siblings.

Well, unfortunately and once again due to my lack of knowledge on playing as a pagan... I got an interesting event chain to let one of them try and be a Varanginian, which seemed pretty cool. I had no idea this would mean he would leave my court forever and join the Byzantine Empire... now I have him primed to inherit quite a bit of my land, but I'm assuming it would be under Byzantine control. It is clear to me that he is the son that needs to die, but I just don't know how to do it.

• Locked thread