Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Newcastle have agreed a fee for Mbemba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Jose posted:

Newcastle have agreed a fee for Mbemba

i hope he gets number 5 so the Toon can chant, "remember, remember the fifth of Mbemba"

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

funkybottoms posted:

i hope he gets number 5 so the Toon can chant, "remember, remember the fifth of Mbemba"

:vince:

I know the arguments are idiotic but as previously stated there is no football so this stuff intensifies. Like the boom bust graph where Liverpool are the best when no actual football is played.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

funkybottoms posted:

"Mbemba Number 5"

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I hope Aarons gets a new deal

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Szczesney is poo poo and I never want to see him in an Arsenal kit again.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I'm fine with letting him leave if Ospina is staying. Cech for a good 3-4 seasons and a good backup, be in the market for the next wonderkeeper kid? Sounds like a plan to me.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Isn't the one big positive trotted out for keeping Szczesny over Ospina that he counts as homegrown?

I guess it's not as big a deal for arsenal as it would be for Man city at the moment, but should be kept in mind.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

It is but it doesn't really matter with so many home grown and under 21 players in the squad as there is today http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/clubs/profile.squads.html/arsenal

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Isn't the one big positive trotted out for keeping Szczesny over Ospina that he counts as homegrown?

I guess it's not as big a deal for arsenal as it would be for Man city at the moment, but should be kept in mind.

Walcott, Gibbs, Welbeck, Ramesy, Wilshere, Coquelin, Chambers, and Martinez.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

kcer posted:

I hope Aarons gets a new deal

:agreed: the guardian think he's close to signing one

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

I think the big advantage of keeping Szczesny over Ospina is that Szczesny can learn from Cech and work on his mental issues during matches while Ospina can't magically grow taller. Physically, Ospina can't really compete, but he's a lot calmer than Szczesny and tends to make better decisions which gives him an edge now. If Szczesny figures out his decision-making abilities then he'll definitely be the superior keeper.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Shoren posted:

I think the big advantage of keeping Szczesny over Ospina is that Szczesny can learn from Cech and work on his mental issues during matches while Ospina can't magically grow taller. Physically, Ospina can't really compete, but he's a lot calmer than Szczesny and tends to make better decisions which gives him an edge now. If Szczesny figures out his decision-making abilities then he'll definitely be the superior keeper.

Because Cech is great at teaching and mentoring as can be seen by all of the great Chelsea youth keepers that came through during the 10 years Cech was at the club.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So Bild is running the €100m Müller story today.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/thomas-mueller/100-mio-angriff-von-manchester-41881372.bild.html

Will lol forever if it happens.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

MrBling posted:

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/thomas-mueller/100-mio-angriff-von-manchester-41881372.bild.html

They don't have any new info themselves, they're just repeating what's already been said.

Either way, there is a 0% chance of us selling Müller, no matter the price.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

MrBling posted:

RIP ephex

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Not gonna happen, hth

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Because Cech is great at teaching and mentoring as can be seen by all of the great Chelsea youth keepers that came through during the 10 years Cech was at the club.

Oh yes, Chelsea, the club noted for developing and promoting countless youth-teamers. That's not the point. You'd expect Cech to keep just about everyone on the bench. The point is that when Cech starts to decline you have a keeper ready to step up that had years of working alongside him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shoren posted:

Oh yes, Chelsea, the club noted for developing and promoting countless youth-teamers. That's not the point. You'd expect Cech to keep just about everyone on the bench. The point is that when Cech starts to decline you have a keeper ready to step up that had years of working alongside him.

Goalkeepers learn from goalkeeping coaches.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The only mentoring Cech ever did was borrowing Cashley his pellet gun.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

sassassin posted:

Goalkeepers learn from goalkeeping coaches.

And from playing. Woj isn't going to get any better sitting on the bench behind Cech, nor is he going to be willing to be a backup for the next 3 years.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Scezzers had been given every chance, he's a total mongoloid and its more likely that Ospina grows a foot over the next two seasons than that dumb pole finally managing to pull his head out of his rear end.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
He had loads of potential but seems to have barely progressed after he became the #1, he's a good keeper, but you need better to be the best.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Ospina didn't put a foot wrong and I cant think of a goal a taller keeper would have saved really. I bet it all evens out in the end.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Szczesny is 25 and still has little command of his area, is poor in the air, can't organize a defense, makes questionable decisions on a consistent basis, and has never been a great reflex/shot stopper. He has no place in a side that has aspirations for silverware.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Szczesny had a meltdown and was rightfully dropped, but his performances were never as bad as is being made out ITT.

That said I don't really feel strongly about who Arsenal's backup keeper may or may not be.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
scehezhehzeny can gently caress right off and so can every arsenal player and supporter.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Any chance we could get some MLS fans to mentor the Arsenal supporters and help them with their "mental issues"?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Shitshow posted:

Szczesny is 25 and still has little command of his area, is poor in the air, can't organize a defense, makes questionable decisions on a consistent basis, and has never been a great reflex/shot stopper. He has no place in a side that has aspirations for silverware.

He's a perfect fit for Arsenal then!!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Julio Rey to Deportivo de La Coruna is an Undone Deal

Spanish club Deportivo de La Coruna have cancelled the signing of striker Julio Rey at the last minute after discovering he had sent an abusive tweet directed at the club three years ago.

Rey posted "puta Depor," translated as "f--k Depor," in 2012, and the tweet was discovered by club staff just days after Deportivo had announced the signing of the striker.

The club released this statement in response:

"Deportivo understands that a player should wear the blue and white shirt must be an example of sportsmanship, have respect for opponents, commitment and positive sentiment towards the Depor, its colors, its shield and the values that the institution represents."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2527489-deportivo-cancel-transfer-after-finding-striker-had-abused-them-on-twitter

official link; http://www.canaldeportivo.com/servlet/es.iris.servlets.Noticias?accion=4&ver=1&nid=30652&mid=14

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 22, 2015

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

JFairfax posted:

he had sent an abusive tweet directed at the club three years ago.

a three year old tweet, loving hell. puta Depor

Nis fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 22, 2015

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
now than Van Gaal has said that his "surprise signing" is not a striker, what are the odds that it is in fact "the Fans" ?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

brocked posted:

now than Van Gaal has said that his "surprise signing" is not a striker, what are the odds that it is in fact "the Fans" ?

What happens when Rooney gets injured then? Is Javier Hernandez staying around? Will Depay be played out of position? Or is James Wilson ready to step up?

I'm guessing the answers are: Uhh...; No; Probably; No

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:agreed:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Patrick no!
Also lvg is like that kid at school who had a really important secret but couldn't tell anyone. gently caress off yer daft Dutch cuntttttt

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Bape Culture posted:

Patrick no!
Also lvg is like that kid at school who had a really important secret but couldn't tell anyone. gently caress off yer daft Dutch cuntttttt

im still here ash

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

brocked posted:

Didn't he do that at bayern?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Didn't he do that at bayern?

it happend while he was here, but it wasnt his fault it was our smartass marketing/management that is still constantly giving us joy

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
Big Ben Tekkers to Liverpoo is a done deal.

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/189394-liverpool-complete-benteke-signing

quote:

Liverpool Football Club are delighted to confirm the signing of Belgium international striker Christian Benteke from Aston Villa.

The 24-year-old put pen to paper on a long-term contract with the Reds today after successfully completing a medical in London.

Benteke has built a reputation as one of the Barclays Premier League's most clinical forwards since joining Villa from Genk in 2012, having scored 49 goals in 101 appearances for the Midlands side.

During that time he has also become a regular fixture for the Belgium national team and has netted seven goals in 24 outings for his country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
let's hope he fails

• Locked thread