Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
3DS madness has taken time away from Steam:

BEATEN: A Link Between Worlds. A very fine actual Zelda game, though it deviates from the formula more than usual. This resulted in me ultimately kind of taking the path of most resistance through much of the game, fighting the hardest bosses very early on.

BEATEN: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future; Professor Layton and the Specter's Call. Replays from years ago but I'd forgotten everything about them. Amazon was being slow about delivering Miracle Mask and so I played through these while waiting for it to arrive.

On the Steam side of things...

BEATEN: Cubot. This feels like it would have been one world in English Country Tune. Still, it does what it set out to do (be a bunch simultaneous block-navigation puzzles).

BEATEN: Her Story. This is a game about piecing together a backstory by querying a database. That's a whole genre in its own right, but this does it pretty literally. The cleverness is in the design of the database contents so that major revelations won't show up in obvious search results, requiring you to refine your keywords with what you learned. And, at least for me, it worked great. It's getting some implausibly swoon-y plaudits at the moment, and I do have to wonder how much of that is because the reviewers have never before played a game that requires you to deduce something and then act on that knowledge without presenting the user with a TYPE CORRECT ANSWER TO OPEN DOOR prompt.

IN PROGRESS: Super Mario 3D World; Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask; DROD: The Second Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Keep it rollin

BEATEN: Grow Home - I'm torn, this is the perfect chill-out game but it controls like a mediocre game. I couldn't put it down but I wished it was better. I wished climbing was more graceful, and that I had the little jet boost from the beginning. Sometimes you lose control of the stalk for reasons I'm not sure of while it's growing. If you want to relax and listen to a podcast and play a game, this is your game.

BEATEN: Akane the Kunoichi - A highly-demanding action platformer demanding high technical skill--- no I'm just kidding this game loving sucks. It's very clearly Programmers First XNA Game, from repetitive tiling to bad level design to only 4 enemy types to bosses that have only one attack pattern. No checkpoints, not because of a stylistic decision but more likely the programmer's inadequacy. Reminds me of the first side-scrolling games that came out of Multimedia Fusion back when it was called The Games Factory. Yeah I'm dating myself I know.

BEATEN: Out There Somewhere - Really short (hour long) platformer that doesn't overstay its welcome, utilizes a teleportation gun as its primary puzzle gimmick (you teleport where the bullet lands). Some pretty tricky/devious rooms. The game claims to be an homage to Cave Story and Metroid but it's neither of those in the slightest. It's still worth the, I dunno, 19 cents I paid when it was on sale? It's one of those deep discount games.

BEATEN: Fire Emblem Awakening - Don't have much to say on this one other than what it improves from the GBA game that I played before. Having shops on the world map makes so much more sense than on the battlefield like in GBA. The classes are a lot more balanced than GBA, and the subclasses are fun to experiment with. There's also a ton of post-game content, from the Paralogues to fighting retro Fire Emblem teams to recruit their captains, and that's not even DLC, just stuff I got over Spotpass.

PLAYING: Ys Seven, The Marvellous Miss Take, Jones on Fire, New Little King's Story

NEXT: Ys Celceta, CrossCode (demo), Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, RE Revelations 2 Episode 1

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
BEAT: Overlord: Raising Hell

I had started this game on 360 when it was first released, but ended up getting sucked into other games and returning the rental. I bought it on Steam a few years ago but only recently decided to try it again. I love this type of humor, and sort rts-lite gameplay. Also, now that I'm more familiar with the Lord of the Rings, I get all the little references that went over my head the first time I tried it.

I'm now finishing up Saints Row The Third, but I'll definitely be playing Overlord 2 at some point.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I last updated about 6 weeks ago, having just re-started Kerbal Space Program at 1.0 and modded it to be life-support-build-time-comm-relay realistic. I got frustrated after 25-ish hours trying to set up my comm relay but I was very close and I will come back to my #1 played game (130 hours) sooner rather than later.

Over the next month I finally finished a full 1066-1453 playthrough of Crusader Kings 2! The best strategy experience I've had, took me about 50 hours but I spent until about 1320 being totally unaware of several routes to gaining claims and thus land so a replay would likely be longer.
End result: went from owning Dubhlinn to being ruler of Eire, started to expand, got wrecked by a Scottish/English joint task force, spent 20 years under the Scotch crown, gained independence, ate up Scotland very inefficiently over the next 100 years, ended up King there, utterly battered a constantly infighting Norge over 30 years once I worked out how to actually play the game, won one claim war against England having spent 350 years drawing ourselves up to their size before the huge Hispanic Empire swooped in an vassalised it, making us the tiny neighbours of the big bad guys again. Oh well. End result, King of Eire, Alba, Norge and with vassals of Leicestershire, East Anglia and somewhere in Sweden. Also had to laugh at the Golden Horde doing the square root of gently caress all with their doomstack in 200 years.

I started another game with an extra DLC (Sons of Abraham) in the same place last night but got furious when either the RNG screwed me or neighbouring counts were too clever for me and I failed to forge a claim on anywhere nearby to make myself Duke. When you've spent 150 years in a constant four-way power struggle with Scotland, Norge and England, being an 11th century count is crushingly boring (educate child, marry relative off, educate child, elect councillor...) but I will stick with it as three-quarters of England is Norwegian and France is splintering already so it's shaping up to be different when one of my reservations was that a replay wouldn't be varied enough.

With that finished off, I played The Talos Principle, a really good puzzle game with an actually interesting story behind it. It took me 16 hours and provided plenty of moments where I had no idea whatsoever how to do something followed by how-did-I-not-get-that lightbulb moment, which is always the best part of a puzzle game. There are some 140 puzzles at a guess, all well made and including some actual red herrings, which I liked. The only frustrating part was the final puzzle of the ending I chose, which was time limited, where nothing else is and if you fail part 5, which I did repeatedly, you have to re-do the somewhat longwinded previous four parts. Still, it was an excellent and different game.

Ever get a really odd desire to play something you haven't for a while? I did and bought the Scandinavia DLC for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and downloaded the Promods, Poland Rebuilding and RusMap mods, which makes the map huge. I have no interest whatsoever in the empire building part of the game, I just want to drive around and make money on my own. On my latest jaunt from my Manchester base, I've hit Graz (a disaster after a 50% damage shunt), Wien to get back on my feet, a profitable run to Lublin in the east, and now I'm on a really tough run all the way to Glasgow dragging a 70 ton locomotive with me. It takes half a country to get up to speed and then there's usually a toll booth to stop me. Only got 3% damage so far having stopped in eastern Germany, but if I have to rest twice more before I get on the ferry, I'll be out of time.

Anyway, I also bought To The Moon, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and the Assetto Corsa Dream Pack in the Steam sale. Getting an itch to play more XCOM Long War as I imagine a team of Barack Obama, Lemmy, my old form tutor and my cousin battering aliens, but there's always a voice saying 'it's 100 making GBS threads hours and you're terrible at XCOM, you idiot'.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
So, even with 1½ weeks of vacation done, I haven't really played a lot of games lately.

Finished: The 39 Steps
Man, if all visual novels were of this quality, I would have a new favourite genre!
I really enjoyed how this story was laid out, even though only very few scenes had any real interaction. Excellent graphics, music and voice acting.
I guess a story based on a real book about WWI spies also helped, compared to the usual drivel of getting into the panties of 200 year old pre-teen-looking girls while shopping for a new dakimakura in Akihabara.

Nulled: Blood of the Werewolf
A platformer where you change between your human body and the body of a werewolf, depending on you being inside or outside. Actions, weapons and movement of course also changes.
I stopped when I came to some timed platforming, because that's an instant turn-off for me.
It wasn't really bad, but wasn't good either. Just a middle of the road platformer, that could use some polish and a lot less competition from its peers in the Steam Store.

Nulled: HuniePop
If I only looked at the Match-3 part, this would be a pretty good game. The developers actually made a good casual game better by adding new things like the gifts and you having to remember which blocks would be better to focus at, depending on the girl you tried impress. Dressed in different clothes (no, not the ones you unlock!), I would probably have played this game a lot more.
Sadly, the other part of the game, the dating sim, was just awful. Reading ironic posts about anime dating sims and visual novels is amusing the first few times, but just like the Bad Rats joke has been beaten to death, the whole ironic thing is starting to be a bit stale, especially since the sim part of the game concept IMHO is sad and creepy, though I give it points for letting you choose if your character should be male or female. At least there is that...

Finished: NotGTAV
It's snake, not GTAV.
Also it's pretty amusing on a first playthrough. Not so much on a second or third.

Nulled: Out There Somewhere
A pretty fun little platformer with a teleport gun as the main gimmick. Too bad twitch-jump puzzles suddenly took over. I'm too old for that poo poo, and simply don't have the reaction time, nor patience, to keep trying to make that one single perfect move to continue.

Finished: Season Match 2
loving finally a game that fits my age and mental level! A well polished, 100% pure Match 3 game.

Currently playing
Dex, which is a really enjoyable 2D side scrolling cyberpunk RPG, and Skyrim, which I need to finish before playing Witcher 3, since I know I will be disappointed in Skyrim if I play Witcher 3 first.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Super Win the Game - Metroidvania patterned after Zelda 2, complete with top-down overworld and sidescrolling dungeons and towns. No combat however, and just one hit point, so the game plays similarly to games like VVVVVV, but without a ton of "gently caress you" spikes everywhere. Requires some exploration and looking for secrets to beat the game.

BEATEN: Wolfenstein Old Blood - Not as good as New Order but strangely the framerate was a lot smoother and closer to 60 than New Order? But also it crashed during every cutscene? Very strange spinoff game. Not the most inspired zombie segment. Thematically it just doesn't seem to fit alongside the other game. It's almost like Old Blood is "this is what New Order would look like if it went through development hell like Doom 4 did". Enemies respawn by falling out of the sky. The final boss is some kind of giant mummy monster. But they still have BJ talking softly into the mic like there's still supposed to be any kind of gravitas.

BEATEN: Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode 1 - A lot of people picked up the first episode and put it in their rainy day backlog. Here's what you get: Two chapters, essentially, one where you play as Claire/Moira and one where you play as Barry/Natalia. Much like Rev 1, the game is patterned after RE4 rather than 5/6, although 5 is referenced in the story, and there's also stealth takedowns now, which I'm sure comes from 6, because they definitely loving weren't in 4. My run of the campaign ran 100+ minutes. There's also Raid Mode and a couple of alternate modes that unlock as well. Also worth mentioning: Barry is voiced by the Crackdown guy, the Agency director. You'll know the voice when you hear it.

BEATEN: Back to Bed - Disappointing puzzle game. I wasn't expecting to like The Bridge more than this in the Escher puzzle game showdown, but Back to Bed doesn't get difficult until its final 5 puzzles, and the game only lasts an hour.

More games tomorrow, as I'm wrapping up the Ys portable games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Ys Seven - Didn't beat tonight but carried it over for comparison purposes. Unlike the Ark engine games, Ys Seven slows things down just a little. Which is a bit disappointing. It's still faster than any other RPG on the planet, and stuff still explodes out of enemies, but just not as much. More emphasis on synethisizing weapons and armor out of materials found from harvest points and monsters. Like Ys I+II, you have a very limited amount of consumables, which puts a skill floor on the game that I can appreciate. Lots of bosses, I think 20+ bosses, and despite having a fairly generic JRPG story, it's probably the most large scale story to be in an Ys game, so I guess I can give it points for that.

BEATEN: Ys Memories of Celceta - Finished today! Celceta builds on Seven, with some improvements. While Seven was mostly "town->dungeon->town->dungeon", there's a lot more dungeons in this game. You can now upgrade materials to better materials, you can refine your weapons/armors with said materials, you can craft accessories, you can upgrade the Metroidvania-esque ability items, and most importantly, you get Gale Shoes which lets you run as fast as Sonic the Hedgehog which is amazing. My final play time was 14 hours, probably due to those Gale Shoes. You're also tasked with mapping out the entire game, which is pretty fun. You get rewards at every 10%. BIGGEST downside: the framerate. It's sub-30, and has framedrops in places, which is frankly embarassing for the Ys franchise. Worse yet, the game looks like an up-ressed PSP game. I'm not sure how this is so unoptimized. Also, for half the game you can only warp between monuments of the same color which makes no sense. Don't gate fast travel, developers. Stop it.

BEATEN: Treeker Lost Glasses - First person puzzle platformer based on the Lens of Truth gimmick from Ocarina of Time. Really short. Also, emphasis on platformer rather than puzzle. Really difficult platforming, made worse by the fact that it's in first person. This game needed way more time in the oven.

NOW PLAYING: Valkyria Chronicles 2 (you can't stop me), Shantae Risky's Revenge, New Little King's Story, The Marvellous Miss Take

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
BEATEN: Saints Row The Third - This game cracked me up several times. All in all a fun open world game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Secrets of Grindea Demo - Demo backlog?? Grindea wants to be the spiritual successor to Secret of Mana, although it's not quite there. First I should mention the story demo is really short, it's about 20 minutes of gameplay, so you can't really get a good handle on it. Combat is slightly slow, there's also no dash/run, but also they don't give you any magic to play with or many of the systems to try out at all. Just swinging a crude wooden sword at some slimes for 20 minutes. It's just too small a vertical slice. There's also an 'arcade mode' that is more akin to a randomly generated roguelite, but I didn't get too much into that since it had the same enemy types. It does give you a bow in that though.

BEATEN: Crosscode Demo - Similarly, a short demo (I guess it's different from the old web demo that had a lot of content in it). But the feel of this game is way stronger and more confident. It is along the lines of an Ys-style action game, with really fast sword combat and also some almost twin-stick like shooting. There's just one problem that I had with it: your attack button is mapped to RIGHT BUMPER. And you can't re-map it. What the gently caress crosscode devs. Lemme use X. Like every other action game on the planet.

BEATEN: Indie Game the Movie - (SteamCompletionist considers this a "game") A bit overly sympathetic, but the most important thing is that the personality comes through of the indie devs. Jonathan Blow is mad because Braid gets high scores but NOONE UNDERSTOOD WHAT IT MEANT UGHHHH. Team Meat flips out because Meat Boy isn't in the Xbox Marketplace yet, not even checking to make sure that it's even the time of day when the Marketplace updates. WEIRDLY, Phil Fish is the most down to earth, chill dude in this whole thing. And that's despite a near nervous breakdown he has in the hotel prior to PAX talking about his former programming partner. Fish is far from the person everyone paints him as. At worst, his anxiety seems to drive him into bad territory. But he came out looking way better in this doc than, say, the Team Meat guy going "maybe I'll quit making games" 2 hours into release day (the game would sell a million loving copies maybe cool your jets dog), or the montage of Jonathan Blow going into article comments to go "ACTUALLY here's why your critique is WRONG". The doc is definitely overly sympathetic though. I don't want to say staged, just that they keep kid gloves on. The melting down of the designers comes from the designers organically, at the very least, but they edit the narrative to make it have an "arc" instead of just "these people have anxiety all throughout the day and sometimes things are going well and sometimes they aren't".

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Ripping through 3DS games and Humble Nindie Bundle stuff, mostly, some of which is also on Steam, so...

COMPLETED: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. Changing up the gameplay formula a bit as part of the migration to the 3DS. I can kinda take it or leave it. I still like the formula and the batshittery.

BEATEN: Gunman Clive. This is a bad game. It remembers a lot of older, better games, like Mega Man 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but then it isn't as good as them. Nevertheless I'm hardpressed to say it does anything absolutely wrong - it's just terminally uninspired.

BEATEN: The Fall. Half obtuse graphic adventure, half uninspired cover shooter. I liked the writing well enough, but I had to keep a walkthrough close to hand.

NULLED: Whoa, Dave! Crosses Mario Brothers and Joust without the charm of either.

UnBACKLOG: OlliOlli. A game about chaining skateboard tricks in a score attack setup. Notionally beatable in that there are challenges and courses to unlock and stuff but I generally don't backlog those.

IN PROGRESS: Super Mario 3D Land. It's a fun platformer!

IN PROGRESS: 1001 Spikes. It's a brutal but nevertheless fair platformer!

And so the wheel turns.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's just one problem that I had with it: your attack button is mapped to RIGHT BUMPER. And you can't re-map it. What the gently caress crosscode devs. Lemme use X. Like every other action game on the planet.
:darksouls:

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Rock Zombie. This is a side-scrolling beat-em-up, with some major flaws. The boss fights are buggy, the controls are a bit awkward and the "female rock band" aesthetic really doesn't add much to the game. Despite all that, it's strangely compelling, and I had quite a lot of fun with it all the way to the end.

COMPLETED: Evoland. The "journey through video game history" thing lasts you about halfway through the game, after which it's nothing but a mix between a generic JRPG and a knockoff Zelda game. It's an OK game, but nothing special.

PLAYED: Redshirt. This is a lot less fun than the store page makes it look. I played it for a couple hours, and was bored for every last minute of it.

PLAYED: Pre-Civilization: Marble Age. A turn-based strategy game with some really interesting game mechanics, and some really awful ones. The constant shifts in my opinion, between "this game is awesome" and "this game was developed by brain-damaged jellyfish" eventually wore me down, and I uninstalled it without finishing.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty XI: Advanced Warfare. This is the best CoD game since 2009's Modern Warfare II. The plotline is pretty good, and the introduction of variable grenades makes a major shift in the series's gameplay for the first time in years. This is the first CoD game I actually bothered using grenades; it's so nice to be able to choose what you want your grenades to do at a moment's notice. In contrast, the Exoskeleton that got so hyped up in pre-release marketing is more of a gimmick than anything else. The light RPG elements to the story campaign are a nice touch too. I don't know if it's the new studio or the extra year of development time that makes such a difference, but I love it anyway.

COMPLETED: Bioshock II. More of the same, really. I though this game had a better plotline than Bioshock I, but the gameplay is nearly unchanged from the first game.

COMPLETED: Bioshock II: Minerva's Den. Again, this is just more Bioshock. Good story, though. Minerva's Den does have one thing going for it though: excellent level design. In that aspect, it's better than the previous two Bioshocks.

Next up: Agarest: Generations of War. I've heard that the gameplay is an over-complicated shitpile though, so I think this might get filed under "Will Not Finish" quickly.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
STARTED - Two Worlds II
Not sure what to think of this one. Production values seem higher than indie but it's still rough around the edges. The spellcasting system is interesting, though. Might play some more of this in the future if I'm in the mood for an action-RPG type game.

NULLED - They Bleed Pixels
Really wanted to like this game but there are aspects of the gameplay that keep me from wanting to push through it. The combination of brawler/platformer is interesting, but the platforming controls don't feel as tight as, say, Super Meat Boy. Even though you can take three hits, there don't seem to be any frames of invulnerability after getting hit, so you'll sometimes be able to survive certain environmental hazards, sometimes not (you might get hit multiple times, or knockback might send you into a second hazard). Although it's more forgiving than a one-hit kill system, it just doesn't feel as consistent. The brawling itself is flashy and cool but there isn't much going on: at least in the first few levels, most enemies just sort of sit there and let you do the same combos on them. The final straw for me was a level that starts you off on a bunch of slippery floors, which make the controls even more frustrating than they were already.

PLAYED - Euro Truck Simulator 2
Played a bit of this today after a long period of it sitting in my library. It's still fun, though a bit repetitive. I might null it in the sense that I'm not sure what would be an actual goal for me attain in the game, but either way I can see myself playing more of this in the future.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

dhamster posted:

PLAYED - Euro Truck Simulator 2
Played a bit of this today after a long period of it sitting in my library. It's still fun, though a bit repetitive. I might null it in the sense that I'm not sure what would be an actual goal for me attain in the game, but either way I can see myself playing more of this in the future.

Buy the DLC, Install Promods, Poland Rebuilding and RusMap. Visit every city.

Just managed a Keflavik, Iceland > Bryansk, Russia run at 1,464mi and nearly 5 days game time with 0% cargo damage :getin:

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 16, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Harmoknight - Forgot I never beat this, picked it back up, finished it in an hour. The main problem with the game is the grading system, which seems to give you Great rankings regardless of how much you gently caress up. Since the game isn't all that difficult, the grading doesn't pick up the slack, making this just a mediocre music game.

BEATEN: Where is My Heart - A puzzle platformer that started on PS Mobile I think? But came to Steam. It is similar to Lost Vikings, but the entire screen is fragmented, chopped and screwed. You jump out of the boundary of one portion of the screen and you end up somewhere completely different. You, of course, solve puzzles.

BEATEN: Bertram Fiddle Pt. 1 - A promising new point'n'click adventure series with very strong art design. Relatively straightforward puzzles and slightly annoying voice acting, but a good foundation for future episodes.

BEATEN: A Bird Story - Imagine an RPG Maker game without dialogue. You may think, that's an improvement right? Not for 2 hours of cutscenes it isn't. And that's all this is. To the Moon was bad enough, but it had objectives and collectables. This is just watching dialogue-less "emotional" cutscenes in RPG Maker set to piano music. Interactivity consists of moving the character from one cutscene to the next, or pressing spacebar to trigger an animation that starts the next cutscene. The end teases a sequel. No thanks.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
COMPLETED - Dungeons of Dredmor After ~70 hours of failed attempts over the years, finally did a successful run of Dungeons of Dredmor on the hardest difficulty, with permadeath enabled. Jesus.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
BEAT: Axiom Verge - a good Metroidvania. Not a great one, but a good one. The story is kinda neat, the atmosphere is good, the music is phenomenal, and the powers are kinda cool. However the enemies are forgettable and often cheap, the bosses kinda suck (even if they look rad), and probably a good half of the weapons are completely useless. It's amazing that the game was made by only one guy but maybe having more eyes on would have been better. Also I REALLY wish there was a save point teleport that got unlocked at some point because drat I hate getting around in that world.

BEAT: Bloodborne - platinumed. Fantastic loving game, can't wait for the expansion.

NULLED: #DRIVECLUB PS+ EDITION - I like the racing and the game looks like a million bucks but it's completely soulless and has no hook. It's as dry as a goddamn cracker and racing is a dour affair.

PLAYING: Rocket League - it's Rocket League. I'm going to play a lot of Rocket League.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Insanity's Blade - If Shovel Knight accurately reproduces the real feel of an NES game, and Freedom Planet the Genesis, then Insanity's Blade does the same for: 1990 Capcom CPS-1 arcade title. It plays somewhere between Magic Sword and Rastan, and it feels authentic as gently caress. There's a plain arcade mode as well as a story mode where you sometimes have side quests that go back to older levels but find new hidden paths that lead to new bosses. It's pretty drat fun, even if the combat is as simple and repetitive as a 90s arcade game gets.

BEATEN: Devil's Dare - A beat-em-up with an interesting subdued color scheme, Devil's Dare is hardcore as heck. If you get a game over, your save slot is deleted. You can stay in the game by purchasing lives, and when you beat stages you have the opportunity to buy a continue as well. The game, like most 90s bumps like Simpsons/Turtles in Time, has relatively easy stages and difficulty-spiking bosses. Something that's interesting is depending on when you choose stages, they can have additional segments, so I guess there's stages you won't see in a single playthrough.

BEATEN: Alundra - Zelda for the PS1. Because it was the late 90s, every game had to be extremely long for shut in nerds, so this is a Zelda with 20 dungeons. That's too many dungeons, I'm sorry. The game is actually a successor to Landstalker, but Landstalker was an isometric game, so the jumping puzzles in that made sense. In top-down, with no way to depict depth, it's infuriating. Bosses also have way too much HP and take forever to take down. The story, however, is very interesting, everyone is dying, you're entering people's dreams, your caretaker is inspired to make new weapons after each townsperson's death. It's grim.

BEATEN: Klonoa - The opposite of Alundra, Klonoa is a vibrant, happy platformer. It's honestly not aged as well as I had hoped, as the mechanics are really really simple and they don't change things up often. The back half of the game resorts to the "get the 4 things" quest multiple times.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I really took Euro Truck Simulator 2 and ran with it. Loving the Rusmap and Promods addons, especially Iceland and the fact that the Faroes exist as a tiny blob of land with two ports. Rusmap really adds that grainy dashcam vibe, especially with some of the AI on show. American Truck Simulator is high up on my wishlist as the US has obvious potential for the setting but I really hope that as promised, they don’t abandon ETS2 just yet. We need Mediterranean, Balkan and Going West expansions!

I am back on XCOM: Long War with XCOM looking set to overtake Kerbal Space Program as my #1 game in terms of time played. I’ve got a modified .ini file I’m calling I Am A Wimp difficulty along with a half-length dynamic war and it’s well-balanced for my skill level. I win most of the time but I still lose soldiers every now and then.

I got a refund for Tennis Elbow 2013, the mechanics are perfectly good but the career mode is hugely in-depth and presented awfully. A difficulty cliff I’m not enthused enough to overcome.

With that money, I splashed out on The Golf Club plus career mode DLC and it’s the golf game I’ve been waiting for on PC. The first thing I did was get my tour card for TGCTours.com, narrowly missing out on the Challenge Circuit’s D division. I’ve really got into the career mode since then and while it lacks the depth and variety of the old Tiger Woods games (AI golfers and Skins mode, please!), the tours are very tense affairs and the lack of stats is very refreshing, no more levelling up until you’re driving 350 yards and chipping it to within inches of the hole every time. I haven’t got used to the close range approach play and the putting is very different but I’m loving this. Also the Amateur Tour has a ‘Ted Crilly Memorial Cup’ at ‘Craggy Island Links’, which is ace.

I’ve also got back into Assetto Corsa. The career options, online and offline, aren’t great so I’m purely enjoying hotlapping every car around the best tracks. AC has a great mix of cars and they all feel distinct and fun to drive. The dream is to have every car record a multi-stage total time of at least an hour, but I’m only up to about ten minutes with two modded tracks, the incredible 23km scratch-made Lake Louise and Donington GP. Obviously I’ll be including the Nordschliefe when I’ve run the DLC cars around those two and beyond that who knows. There’s a version of Gran Turismo’s Trial Mountain which never made it out of early beta but has good reviews regardless. Circuit de la Sarthe is another possibility and I’m sure there are many scratch-made pet projects worthy of a spin. AC is another one that’ll be supported officially for a good while yet and probably a while beyond that by modders. Kunos claimed 50 new cars in 2015 but I remain sceptical.

I’m really moving away from games you just beat once and be done with, now I mostly maintain 2 or 3 games active, another few kind of on the back burner and half a dozen or so in reserve, which is doing wonders at stopping hoarding and getting the most out of what I have. I could not buy another game and be fully booked for at least a year with what I have. I’ll still get exceptional releases like Just Cause 3, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and The Witcher 3 when the price is right but at the moment I’m most hyped for XCOM2, American Truck Simulator and the full release of DiRT Rally. I love devs that do DLC right like SCS for ETS2 or Paradox with CK2, stuff that is non-essential but still adds to the game and fits seamlessly.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
NULLED: Futurium EP Deluxe - a high score game with a low poly retro space shooter aesthetic that's all about plotting paths through environments. I see what they're going for and I like how it looks but the gameplay just doesn't interest me at all.

NULLED: Whoa Dave! - another high score game that's basically a new 80s arcade game. Fun and quirky but doesn't have an ending and going for the trophies requires you to play a long, long, long, long drat time.

NULLED: Killzone Shadow Fall - a loving horrible game that hopefully ends the Killzone series. Everything about this game is pure loving poo poo and the story makes no goddamn sense. Awful.

BEAT: Everyone I'm playing in Rocket League - :smugwizard:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I wish I could play Rocket League :smith:

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Not much in the way of updates. Work has gotten the better of me. However, I did get back into some puzzle games.

Nulled: SpaceChem - I reinstalled this to see after seeing some footage of Infinifactory. One of the elements of a good puzzle game is giving the player something else to do or think about if they get stuck on a puzzle. Not so with SpaceChem. The core puzzle concept is pretty interesting, but it is too easy to get stuck on a puzzle and just have no motivation to finish it.

Playing: The Talos Principle - I picked this up during the summer sale, and I've found this to be an incredibly compelling puzzle game. I have yet to dive deep into the lore, but there is a lot of cool stuff going on. The story is very heavy in sci-fi and philosophy, which I'm a big fan of. The only downside I see with it is the immense amount of reading involved. A large majority of the game lore is contained within text files on in-game computer terminals (seriously). The story may come off as a bit pretentious, but I'm in love with it.

Oh, yeah, and I'm also playing Rocket League like everyone else, apparently.

tobeannouncd fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 26, 2015

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I've been letting Idle Master do its work on the 577 games with cards I haven't played yet. This is now also the way I pick new games to check out and while I only expect to finish 25-50 of them, I do plan on giving all a go.
With that said, here is the latest batch of nulled games:

8-Bit Adventures: The Forgotten Journey Remastered Edition
Good lord what a piece of junk. The developer should have saved his time and let this relic stay dead.

Angry Birds Space
I was never a fan of the game on the mobile platform and playing it on PC just shows how boring mobile games really are.

Anoxemia
Some kind of underwater puzzle platformer. I'm sure you guys have a category name for it, probably comparing it to a NES game. The style was OK but it was just too unpolished to hold my attention for more than 10 minutes.

Astro Empire
A space trading/empire building strategy game that looks like it was made for tablets.

Bermuda
Visual Novel of the worst kind. Bleargh

Blasted Fortress
The only one of these games I kind of enjoyed. Attack fortresses with your cannon. Break down the walls with different kind of cannon balls within a set time limit and get the treasures.
Probably a mobile game, but it was OK for half an hour.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
A combined Visual Novel and Beat 'em up/Brawler. High production values and probably pretty cool if you like both these genres. I don't though...

Bloodbath Kavkaz
Hahahaha! A straight up Russian copy of Hotline Miami with really lovely flash style graphics, text in Cyrillic and bad music.

BloodRayne: Betrayal
Platformer/Brawler that looks like it has taken its look from a comic book. I'm no good at either genre and the high-jump, some kind of backflip, I never really got down, so it just ended in tears.

Brilliant Bob
A 3D indie platformer that sucks monumental balls.

Chip
A fun little puzzle game, clearly designed for the mobile platform. Got almost through the first act before I quit.

and then a few games I actually chose to play because I wanted to play them:

Finished: Brink of Conciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome
A Hidden Object/Adventure-lite game that was really not that good.

Nulled: Windward
Become captain of your own pirate ship, sail around the maps, do mini quests and conquer the world.
It was a pretty chill game and I did some coop with Kragger and Harmburger, but it was clear that MP was added as an afterthought and it really need some work. Had this been an Early Access game, I would have said it shows great promise, but there were just too many small things that annoyed me, that I would continue play it.
It should be mentioned that the developer is very active and pushes out update after update, and from what I could read in the Steam forums, he really listens to customers suggestions.
Harmburger mentioned that this was as close to a new Pirates game (the sailing and trading part) you could wish for.

Still playing: Skyrim
27 hours in and I really hate that everything keeps being grey on grey with the occasional snow storm. I'll play a bit more of the main quest to see if becomes more interesting, but I'm really not into this :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's me, your neighborhood game player. I was playing a long game so that's why there hasn't been posts lately.

BEATEN: Breath of Fire IV - So I can say this since I've played this for the first time, but I put BOF4 in my top 5 PS JRPGs. Everything about this game is so good, from the art style, the animation of the party and monsters (so much personality!), the fun characters, the great combat system with its combo attacks (the rare game where summons were the last thing I felt like using). It's also not as long as How Long to Beat claims it is (they claim 37hr, my playthrough was 20). There's not a ton in the way of side stuff unless you really like fishing.

BEATEN: Patchwork Heroes - Super super fun PSP game that barely anyone has played. It's like Qix made into an action game. You have to cut apart these giant warships, while avoiding all sorts of enemies. You can climb all over it, cut along the exterior or interior, and they start throwing lots of different things at you, like having to protect certain portions of the ship, or dealing with enemies that only move when you cut, or only move when you don't cut. It gets really really intense by the final levels (there are 30 in total, plus a lot of challenge levels).

BEATEN: Forma.8 demo (Nindies @ E3 preview) - I didn't really get this one. You're piloting some sort of ship? You have a shield as your primary weapon and you can plant a bomb and use the shield to propel it? It wasn't very fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fart of Presto posted:

Still playing: Skyrim
27 hours in and I really hate that everything keeps being grey on grey with the occasional snow storm. I'll play a bit more of the main quest to see if becomes more interesting, but I'm really not into this :(

I'm sorry, but if you have this argument you're both poo poo outta luck and apparently wrong, because when I voiced the same issue as one of the reasons I prefer Oblivion this was the thing most argued against.

What annoys me is that indoors, the game looks great. Plenty of colors indoors, so it's not an engine difficulty.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Basically Completed: Batman: Arkham Knight
Did every thing except all the riddles because who has time for that poo poo? You do need the riddles to unlock the One True Ending or whatever but I just looked it up on YouTube. I found the game to be very very good and my favorite of the series both in terms of gameplay and story. It really is too bad they bungled the PC port.

Completed For Now: Darkest Hour
This isn't a game you can ever 'beat' but I finished a very long game so I won't be touching it for a while.

The Witcher 3 beckons, I think, with maybe some KSP or EU4 to break it up.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It's been quite a while since I last posted here, time to recap everything:

BEATEN / COMPLETE LIST:
  • BEATEN: Chroma Squad - I backed this on KickStarter the second I heard the premise. It's actually a lot of fun and though I Nulled Knights of Pen and Paper before, this one hooked me. I might even give it a replay someday.

• BEATEN: Tales From the Borderlands: Episode 3: Catch a Ride - I'm glad TellTale decided to make a fun adventure game this time around. Also unlike Borderlands 2, the jokes seem to get more than a chuckle out of me.

• COMPLETE: Bioshock Infinite (and some DLC) - I beat Bioshock 1 and nulled Bioshock 2, yet this felt like the weakest in the series. It's usually 2-3 enemy enocunters, then exposition, repeated forever. Once you've ungraded your EVE bar to full, you're an untouchable juggarnaut and the game loses all difficulty. I then beat Burial at Sea: Episode 1 and tried playing Episode 2, but then stopped when I realised it had forced stealth sections.

• BEATEN: Life is Strange: Episode 4: The Dark Room - I'm always surprised with how much this game's story has engrossed me. I seriously can't wait for the FInale.

NULL LIST:
  • Bioshock 2 - An amazing game, except when a crash lost me 2 hours of gameplay, there's no way I'm recovering from that.

• Borderlands 2 - I enjoyed the first game, it was fun and it wasn't too difficult. This game however is a relentless poo poo storm that just became unfun for me is so many ways.

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - I can see why people love this game so much, but it has not aged well. At least I can move onto GTA IV or even GTA V now.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Batman: Arkham Knight - When it wants to run, it's great. However I think I'll wait a little longer for the updates.
  • Dreamfall Chapters: Episode 3 - It's not nearly as good as the other story driven Point and Click Adventure games I'm playing at the moment. I've come this far though, let's see if it can still win me over.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 1, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MajorMarcus posted:

Nulled: SpaceChem - I reinstalled this to see after seeing some footage of Infinifactory. One of the elements of a good puzzle game is giving the player something else to do or think about if they get stuck on a puzzle. Not so with SpaceChem. The core puzzle concept is pretty interesting, but it is too easy to get stuck on a puzzle and just have no motivation to finish it.

Er, what? Yeah, sometimes there's only one puzzle available to advance the storyline, but you can always go back to earlier puzzles and optimize for speed/opcount/footprint, or play/optimize the Research Network puzzles. I've probably spent more time trying to beat my friends' cycle counts than I have actually solving the storyline puzzles.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

ToxicFrog posted:

Er, what? Yeah, sometimes there's only one puzzle available to advance the storyline, but you can always go back to earlier puzzles and optimize for speed/opcount/footprint, or play/optimize the Research Network puzzles. I've probably spent more time trying to beat my friends' cycle counts than I have actually solving the storyline puzzles.

I've never been a big fan of going back and optimizing puzzle solutions. The biggest satisfaction for me comes from the initial solve.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
BEATEN: Tomb Raider (2013)

I really enjoyed this one. I don't care for quicktime events, but they didn't detract too much from the experience. Combat, exploration, puzzles, a fun story... Good times! It was definitely better than those two movies.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - How charming is this game??? Seriously, this poo poo is loving magical. I had a blast playing this. The only bummer is that it ends in an advertisement for Mario 3D World. Booooo. How about an ad for Mario 3D World 2??? That'd get me on board.

BEATEN: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - Well, I beat Tropical Freeze, it was only fair that I beat the original (plus I got it as a bonus for buying Mario Kart 8 I think?? Way back when??). Obviously the prequel is not as good but it still adheres to the same design philosophy, where every level is a new idea or twist, with the exception of the rail/rocket levels, which much like in TF start bad and never get better.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Going through even more random games, I found a few good ones and a whooooole bunch of crap.

Finished

Depth Hunter 2: Deep Dive
This is a really chill underwater collectathon. Swim around, take pictures of fish or harpoon them, pick up coins and treasures, upgrade your equipment and that's really it.

Jack Lumber
A touch screen game, that works pretty decently with a mouse. I must admit, I didn't really finish it, as I missed 4 stars to play the final level, but as I looked that level up on Youtube, it's really just a token "explode everything" level before you see the final cartoon and get an achievement. I won't lose any sleep not having that achievement so I count it as finished.

Nulled

1953: NATO vs Warsaw Pact
I'm just not into hardcore strategy games.

Airport Madness 4
I had hoped it was something like Flight Control HD, and I guess it can compare to that in that you have to manage planes land in an airport, but you also have to handle taxiing, clearance for take off etc. All very sim-lite but enough that I didn't care for it.

Back To Bed
A very nice and short puzzler where you have to guide a sleeping man back to bed by placing obstacles in front of him so he turns while continuing his sleepwalk. I got halfway through the second act when I got a bit bored though.

Butsbal
A multiplayer only indie game that peaked at 7 people playing (or being online) at the same time. It's totally dead and there are no bots, so I can't really comment on the game.

Cosmochoria
I really like the art style of this game, and if I didn't have of 1000 unplayed games, this would be one of those I would give a bit more time.
You are a small astronaut that is only equipped with a pew pew laser gun and a small seed. Grow that seed and the plant will give you more seeds. Plant and grow those seeds and you will eventually convert the small planet into your territory. You can then build stuff like a shield for your base and planetary defenses etc. Then fly to other planetoids and work on them too, all the while being attacked by small space critters and bosses.
Definitely check out the video if you just have the tiniest interest.

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
Way to janky for me. Yes it's a goon favourite and while most people probably only love it ironically (because that's the cool thing to do these days), it's honestly not a very good game. Quick Time events, bad controls, forced camera, highschool level Twin Peaks fanfic writing. Ugh.

Domestic Dog Simulator
Yes, you are a dog and can pee and poop, and that's about it. I think it's supposed to be like a JRPG or an open world thing but I couldn't be bothered to look further than the pooping.

Earth 2160 and Earth 2140 HD
I played a bit of the RTS game Earth 2160 and it just felt old. It was probably fantastic in 2006, but almost 10 years on and no thanks. Didn't even bother to load up 2140.

Foresight
Another space RTS that was apparently released in 2014 but felt like it was from 2006 with voice acting even worse than Earth 2160.

G-Ball
Another multiplayer only indie game. Again no bots and a totally dead community. I was able to get into the arena by jumping through several walls but controls were so lovely, I never really got around to score a goal. Or perhaps I did but it didn't register because the game wasn't on? I dunno...

Ghostship Aftermath
From the stills this looks like a serious space horror game, but when playing it, I wouldn't even call it a poor man's Dead Space. It's just so slow and you get stuck in the environment all the time. Voice acting and the script also kind of removes any tension as it's just so laughable bad.

Greyfox
RPGMaker JRPG. It actually had some decent writing and a few ok jokes, but I never played it long enough to figure out what was even going on in the village of Greyfox, other than it was only populated by old people and a dude in a hot tub who wanted to do me all the time.

Ground Pounders
Set in the Sword of the Stars universe, it's a turn-based strategy game with cards. Not my cup of tea, but it had a tutorial that guided me through all the basics, which is always nice.

Hearts of Iron III
I know this is not me, so I straight up nulled it without even loading it.

Ironclad Tactics
Absolutely nothing wrong with the style and polish of this game and I went through the tutorial too, but it just didn't grab me.

Jagged Alliance 2 - Wildfire and Jagged Alliance Flashback
Loaded up Wildfire and remembered I never really liked JA games. I even pledged to JA Flashback (gods know why), but just nulled it without even bothering to look at it.

Zombie Shooter
drat, I ended up playing 2 hours of this re-skinned Alien Shooter (or is it the other way around), and it's actually pretty fun in a mindless stupid way. Janky and ugly as hell, but it was fun while it lasted.

Zombie Shooter 2
It's always hard to follow up on a success but forcing you to only use half the resolution as the first one, have the developers do bad voice acting and have the monsters look like half finished black and white comic book cut outs, is not the way to do it.

Zombie Zoeds
"This zombie shooter.You have to kill zombies."
Hooray for Greenlight that allows turds like this to get on Steam.
Apparently it was also renamed so the developer didn't have to give out keys to the bundle owners that had initially helped getting this on Steam.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I think my XCOM Long War campaign is coming to an end, the aliens are strong enough to launch an attack on my base and I’m not confident in my ability to turn them back. I’ve definitely learned enough get further next time, though.

I decided that I need to stop buying every new thing and play some classics I never bothered with as I only got into PC gaming properly in 2010-ish. I snapped up Thief I and II for £2.75 because I’ve never played them before and I’m having a go at Tomb Raider 3 as I loved 2 and I never got very far without cheating in 3 back when I had it on PSX. It works perfectly well with a fan patch and Joy2Key and though there’s no widescreen since it came out in 1997, the resolution goes up to 1920x1440 no problems and it looks perfectly passable. The difficulty picks up directly where 2 ends and I’ve already had two frustrating moments where I run around for 20 minutes going ‘but what do I doooooooo?’ before realising I missed a lock the exact colour of the wall it’s mounted on or a moveable block in a shadowy corner. Whenever someone complains that modern games are ruined by highlighting interactable objects, they should be forced to play TR3. Still, it’s proper, old-school, made-from-giant-blocks Tomb Raider, so I’m enjoying myself. Just about to take on the first mini-boss, then head to Nevada, London and the South Pacific, in that order.

Other games I’ve decided I must educate myself on are Fallout 1 and 2, The Secret of Monkey Island, Doom, Grim Fandango, System Shock 2 and I found Empire: Total War on my list of games from when I used to live with my parents and share my account with my Dad so that seems like a fine way to play my first Total War.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I beat some games, nulled some games, go me!

Beat: Bioshock 2 finally. More shooting focused than the first game, but that's OK. I liked the setting, finding the audio diaries was cool, but too much shooting for me. Still, I beat it, rescued the little sisters, and was all around a good big daddy. After that I blasted through Project: Snowblind. Called a spiritual successor to Deus Ex, and I can see it, but the choices weren't as varied as Deus Ex. Still, it's hard to fill those shoes. This took me all of six hours to beat, so if you're bored, you can knock this out in a long afternoon, and you could pick a worse game. Unintentionally bad voice acting too.

Nulled: Greed Corp, Full Spectrum Warrior, Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers. Because I'm never going to play them.

Up next: who knows, I have Divine Divinity installed, so I'll give that a go.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Completed: Grand Theft Auto V
Enjoyed this game a whole lot and did a lot of the content but not everything. I decided to uninstall it and call it done because I liked how the story ended and doing the other stuff just to do it seems pointless (also don't care for the online). Besides it's sixty gigabytes on my 256gb ssd, so I'd like that space back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ahhh this is more like it

BEATEN: Strider 2 - Sequel to the arcade game Strider (not the NES game). Worth playing if you're into the Strider franchise, though it's only an hour long since it is an arcade game. Satisfyingly fast sword slicing action, and TONS of bosses.

BEATEN: Shantae Risky's Revenge - So, it's the first of this modern Shantae trilogy, so I can excuse some of its problems, but this was an average game on its own. It had flaws. The map system is confusing and nonsensical, the z-depth is quite frankly lame, and losing progress a lot in this game made me wish that... would a Metroidvania PLEASE allow save anywhere? Some day? Please?

BEATEN: Atelier Rorona Plus - Another first of a trilogy, although not the first in this enormous Atelier series. Though the game has JRPG turn-based combat, the primary focus of the game is gathering and crafting. Not a bad game to hop over to from Fantasy Life. The only problem is, and I can only hope future games rectify this, but Rorona is EXTREMELY monotonous. I did play it all the way through to the end, but none of the individual parts were really SUPER fun, let alone brought together. You finish your assignment and fill out the stamp card extremely quickly in this game, leaving you with 50+ days in each term to just... do whatever? But, again, there's not a lot to do. You can go to a dungeon, and face THE SAME ENEMIES OVER AND OVER (palette swaps ahoy!!), gathering THE SAME poo poo OVER AND OVER (but now it's higher quality!!). I dunno. I felt like it didn't give back for how much I put into it. Maybe the later games are better.

BEATEN: Prinny: I Can Be the Hero? - Super Ghosts and Goblins by way of NIS America. This game is somewhat poorly programmed, as bosses will sometimes not lose their shields when you hit them correctly, leading to extra frustration. Also the primary boss health deplation involves just mashing the button really really fast. The final boss can't even be stunned, leaving you 3 minutes to avoid every attack pattern while mashing as fast as possible before time runs out. It just seems like not everything was fully thought out. The level design is also not as well designed as Super G&G. Also, you should know going in, it has G&G air control, ie you have none, but you have a double jump so you can change direction at least.

BEATEN: Dark Scavenger - Heyyyy now this is a good time. A weird combination of point and click adventure, visual novel, and turn based RPG (but this is not anime!). You're scavenging on this alien planet trying to find a fuel source for this trip. Every interactive hotspot could yield a new item, or a new event trigger, or perhaps an ambush! It's a very silly game. After each room is cleared, you get to convert the items you find into weapons, items, or allies. Weapons have durability (that refresh every chapter). Interestingly, allies do as well, as they are essentially just living weapons you hurl at your enemies. I recommend it.

PLAYING: Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure, Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle, Catherine

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
BEAT: Galak-Z - Pros: fun mechanics, good gameplay, great music, you can turn into a goddamn robot. Cons: garbage story, bad cutscene animation, uninteresting powerups, doesn't need to be a roguelike, wasted 80s anime influence potential.

Also it was released unfinished with a big Coming Soon for the ending. What.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Nulled: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - I had heard good things about this game and the blade thing seemed like it ought to be bundles of fun. I start it up and at first it feels like a parody of itself with the funnybad VO and soundtrack, so I figured it's a game with cool mechanics that can carry the silly aspects. Then the mechanics turn out to be pretty screwy and I have the worst time trying to do anything cool. After I ran into a tougher enemy and died four or five times and heard 'RAIDEN? RAIDEN? RAIDDDDDDENNNNN!!!' each time, I knew it was time to give it up. It's clearly not my type of game.

I'm probably going to start a CK2 or EU4 game soon and I did start Enslaved, which has a really unique vibe so far. Imaginative post apoc settings are always interesting to me and the puzzle platformer stuff going on is more my speed.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chief Savage Man posted:

Nulled: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - I had heard good things about this game and the blade thing seemed like it ought to be bundles of fun. I start it up and at first it feels like a parody of itself with the funnybad VO and soundtrack, so I figured it's a game with cool mechanics that can carry the silly aspects. Then the mechanics turn out to be pretty screwy and I have the worst time trying to do anything cool.

The mechanics in Metal Gear Rising are really simple and tight, though? They don't explain a lot of them very well in the tutorial but they're not super complicated and there's certainly nothing wrong with them during gameplay. It's actually probably one of the easier games in its genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Nulled: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - I had heard good things about this game and the blade thing seemed like it ought to be bundles of fun. I start it up and at first it feels like a parody of itself with the funnybad VO and soundtrack, so I figured it's a game with cool mechanics that can carry the silly aspects. Then the mechanics turn out to be pretty screwy and I have the worst time trying to do anything cool. After I ran into a tougher enemy and died four or five times and heard 'RAIDEN? RAIDEN? RAIDDDDDDENNNNN!!!' each time, I knew it was time to give it up. It's clearly not my type of game.

I'm probably going to start a CK2 or EU4 game soon and I did start Enslaved, which has a really unique vibe so far. Imaginative post apoc settings are always interesting to me and the puzzle platformer stuff going on is more my speed.

I had the same thing happen to me in the demo and when i rebought it I made the mistake of setting it to hard and felt the same way you felt. This video gets linked everytime somebody has trouble with the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7IlIUKP64o

Soon as I saw this, I set it back to normal to get the hang of it and I loving loved it. And yeah, it's kind of a parody and the whole game is insane. I had the same feeling with MGSV: Ground Zeroes until I looked up a tutorial on CQC and things not really covered by the official game and I'm hooked.