Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Laranzu posted:

The USO in Phoenix is pretty bomb. Lay overs are better with free snacks, a couch and some chill old people volunteers. Guess that's a perk of being in the silly hat club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Laranzu posted:

The USO in Phoenix is pretty bomb. Lay overs are better with free snacks, a couch and some chill old people volunteers. Guess that's a perk of being in the silly hat club.

The USO in San Diego is pretty dope when one of the people is usually a Reservist Marine who yells at the junior enlisted for changing out of their dress uniforms and poo poo when they're not allowed :lol:

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
the USO in San Diego is confirmed pretty funny & chill too

also as long as you have a CaC card or some sort of military identification I would imagine you can go into whatever USO you god drat please

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Graduating Retard Camp (A School), taking leave out of country. I hosed up massively when I gave an actual address I will be and didn't lie about destination instead of just bailing for good.

So far I have learned that basic competence and attention to detail results in being put in charge of a larger groups of retards until you're a first class, then never making Chief.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

maffew buildings posted:

So far I have learned that basic competence and attention to detail results in being put in charge of a larger groups of retards until you're a first class, then never making Chief.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

Being a good Officer/Sailor is like being a good whore. The better you are the more you get hosed.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

maffew buildings posted:

Graduating Retard Camp (A School), taking leave out of country. I hosed up massively when I gave an actual address I will be and didn't lie about destination instead of just bailing for good.

Where are you going and why is it an issue? I isn't like that anywhere, promise (says the Sailor planning a trip to NZ this year - nobody cares. But then NZ isn't exactly a booming sex tourism haven.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

poopkitty posted:

Where are you going and why is it an issue? I isn't like that anywhere, promise (says the Sailor planning a trip to NZ this year - nobody cares. But then NZ isn't exactly a booming sex tourism haven.)

The land of huge hats and donkey shows I think.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

LingcodKilla posted:

The land of huge hats and donkey shows I think.

Ahhh. Also tourist murder. Gotcha.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mexico, it's an issue because if I go AWOL and they decide they want me back they'd have a jump off point with the address. Do they bother retrieving wayward sailors? Maybe I'll go start over down there.

I'm going to the one safe part of the country, the biggest issue they have there is old white people buying all the good beach property and ranch land.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Eh, the Navy's not so bad. Boot sucks sure, and you'll be poo poo on for a year or 2, but when you do make E5 it's pretty cool.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Mexico, it's an issue because if I go AWOL and they decide they want me back they'd have a jump off point with the address. Do they bother retrieving wayward sailors? Maybe I'll go start over down there.

I'm going to the one safe part of the country, the biggest issue they have there is old white people buying all the good beach property and ranch land.

Don't go AWOL and if you do, don't post about going AWOL, then you can't claim you'd come back and just be UA. Or do and post about it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sir Lucius posted:

Eh, the Navy's not so bad. Boot sucks sure, and you'll be poo poo on for a year or 2, but when you do make E5 it's pretty cool.

loving bullshit. both times I put on e-5 sucked

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

maffew buildings posted:

Do they bother retrieving wayward sailors?

If you're UA for more than 30 days, you get labeled a deserter and they put out a warrant for your arrest. Thus if you get pulled over for speeding or murdering a hooker or something, it'll pop up in the system. As far as I know that's about all they'll usually do.

We had one guy who went UA, and we called his mom and told her that he'd be listed as a deserter if he wasn't back within 30 days. He showed up again on day 29. :v:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

lol he's a fuckin seabee like he'll ever see e-5

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If there's reason to believe you're a deserter (like posting on the internet that you're doing it, you idiot) they'll actually label you a deserter well before 30 days.

Also, don't desert. You loving idiot.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

WELL I CAN'T GET PREGNANT WHAT OTHER OPTIONS DO I HAVE

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Pretty sure he's joking dudes

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Navy GMTs have led me to believe that all jokes hide something more sinister (rape, alcoholism, or suicide... and desertion I guess).

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If in 31 days there's a Navy thread All Hands muster and subsequent GMT led by our civilian facilitator Mr. nice! you can blame me

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

maffew buildings posted:

I'm planning my Africa trip right now. The training I had to go to is comdedic (since its mostly Army stuff), and things like "be careful and don't eat local food," and it involves a lot of absurd medical precautions before I head over. I mean I feel like they think I'm going to go into the deepest part of Congo or go meet up with Kony (the LRA needs to be removed) or sneak into South Sudan and teach them things.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Ryand-Smith posted:

I'm planning my Africa trip right now. The training I had to go to is comdedic (since its mostly Army stuff), and things like "be careful and don't eat local food," and it involves a lot of absurd medical precautions before I head over. I mean I feel like they think I'm going to go into the deepest part of Congo or go meet up with Kony (the LRA needs to be removed) or sneak into South Sudan and teach them things.

Just be honest, that you are going to build them a reactor.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Ryand-Smith posted:

They might have good reason to wonder about your trip. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/21/how-former-us-army-officer-launched-disastrous-coup-the-gambia

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Boon posted:

Navy GMTs have led me to believe that all jokes hide something more sinister (rape, alcoholism, or suicide... and desertion I guess).

If there's anything I've learned, it's that if you're cool with people or enough of a pain in the rear end none of the rules really matter.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I knew a guy who went AWOL. The navy just sort of forgot about him (meaning, they washed their hands of him and put a warrant out for his arrest and all that stuff). Eventually he stopped getting paid and lost his wallet/ID card, so he came back to base, and had to convince the guard that he really was in the navy, the base didn't really even have documentation on him at that point.

He went to mast on the base and they reduced the charges to UA. In a way he got a good deal because he didn't have to be stationed on a submarine anymore, but I really don't know what happened after that so I can't say for sure. Base restriction looked pretty sweet at the time though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If he was reduced from AWOL to UA he got a good deal, considering.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Coups are hard work and for other people

Null Integer posted:

Just be honest, that you are going to build them a reactor.

Not until I get out and get some more connections, I mean the uranium is already there..:nsa:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You're basically a warlord right?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Boon posted:

You're basically a warlord right?

I just inherited the family farm, (oh god its so much land and we even have workers that came with it). I have to meet with the village chiefs, see the land and see the expansion and new fencing we are putting in, and it is making profit so that's good news.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ryand-Smith posted:

I just inherited the family farm, (oh god its so much land and we even have workers that came with it). I have to meet with the village chiefs, see the land and see the expansion and new fencing we are putting in, and it is making profit so that's good news.

Give them a raise ok?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
USS The Sullivans Damaged After Missile Explodes After Launch

Whoops. You know, it seems like this has just been a lovely year for launching rockets in general.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any of you noble types ever work for (now)RDML Rich Brown or have any gouge on him?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Can I do direct commission into 1835 to the reserves? That's what I'm getting from this site: https://www.navycs.com/officer/intelligenceofficer.html
Is this something you have to go through a recruiter for if you're already active duty?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Ryand-Smith, remember:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGHHxUFY6w

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
USS THE SULLIVANS missile blew up shortly exiting VLS. That ship is cursed I tell ya. Hasn't done anything right since 2003.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

Can I do direct commission into 1835 to the reserves? That's what I'm getting from this site: https://www.navycs.com/officer/intelligenceofficer.html
Is this something you have to go through a recruiter for if you're already active duty?

Phone posting from the airport, I'll get back to you but, things can't get kinda odd. I was working on that a couple years ago but after making Chief and getting a big boy job my zeal toward Navy has moderated.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I don't consider myself Navy moto or anything though. I just feel like being an officer in the reserves would make more sense than being enlisted. Like, if I didn't make board or whatever, no big loss, I would just get out completely and have more weekends to myself. Also, as an officer I'd have a lot more leverage to organize and run an exercise than I would as enlisted.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't consider myself Navy moto or anything though. I just feel like being an officer in the reserves would make more sense than being enlisted. Like, if I didn't make board or whatever, no big loss, I would just get out completely and have more weekends to myself. Also, as an officer I'd have a lot more leverage to organize and run an exercise than I would as enlisted.

I'm working on getting out and plan on going reserve officer for the same reason, just not for the Navy. Not enough of what I want to do available on the noble side.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So, much like on AD, your prior E nobles range from being great, because they will attempt to help the junior folks and understand how to not add stupid poo poo to people's day, to terrible, chip on their shoulders for not making Chief and trying to skate like a Second Class while talking a big game. Anywho, I would suggest if your ultimate goal is being an O and you don't need the bridge money/health care that being a SELRES provides, then do not affiliate after AD and apply as a civilian. I say that as depending on how the HQ folks feel, they might grant you the Conditional Release you need to apply for a DIRCOM or they may require you to do a MOB, even if applying within the two year deferment when affiliating after active, to receive a release. And then it is a whole other ball of wax if you do In-Service Procurement as a RC LDO/CWO. At the end of the day, be you blue shirts or Os, the more people with actual AD experience in the reserves the better as they usually either better and know how to sham effectively or know enough to tell no-nothings to shove stupid assignments.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
How do the reserves work? I was under the impression you are attached to a specific unit. So if I was attached to a NIOC or 10th Fleet mobilizing really wouldn't be that big of a deal I wouldn't think. One of the reasons I want to do it is because I think I actually have something to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Sir Lucius posted:

One of the reasons I want to do it is because I think I actually have something to offer.

This is probably the top reason I hear from [future] Mustangs regarding lane changes, but it's [almost] always a self-assessment and the something to offer part is [almost] always wrong and just ends up being self-serving.

• Locked thread