Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think adblocking is bad.. aside from places where ads are a known and common vector for malware distribution (richard...)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gas (again)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

triple sulk posted:

gas (again)

pugnacious

pram
Jun 10, 2001
battle of the poo poo animal avs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pugs are the iphone of dogs. they're made in china and simple as heck, but the ladies love them!!!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Smythe posted:

i think adblocking is bad.. aside from places where ads are a known and common vector for malware distribution (richard...)

rip pagancow

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
WHY THE gently caress ISN'T CREMNOB BANNED AND PERMABANNED AND PROBATED TO A THOUSAND YEARS YET GOD

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

pram posted:

battle of the poo poo animal avs

pig hammer

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Celexi posted:

WHY THE gently caress ISN'T CREMNOB BANNED AND PERMABANNED AND PROBATED TO A THOUSAND YEARS YET GOD

what did cremnob do

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

what did cremnob do

being a doodoo head

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Smythe posted:

🎶 and i think to myself, what a virulent strain 🎶

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
that was the only good post in the past 5 pages. bye

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

graph posted:

cremnob and stymie are right hth

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I lol'd

Reminded me of that Father Ted character who ripped apart half the living room on the basis that ted had shoddy gear

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

http://youtu.be/XGo8zXLg_8Y

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

LOL. nilay has been trying to bolster the case against the iVerge meme for a while now. i kinda suspected he was trying to bait gruber into taking him down cause that would be the ultimate validation that the verge isnt in the tank for apple. this confirms it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
what a whiny baby

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

what does this mean

they used to use canaries to make sure there wasnt poison gas in mines

when the canary dies you gtfo

he's comparing cremnobs posting to poison/wanting the thread to be gassed

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

also if nilay dropped dead the world would be much better off

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
apple, not cremnob

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Valeyard posted:

apple, not cremnob

w/e either way how does someone not get a canary reference in tyool 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
bring on the gigantic ipad pro + stylus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
cremnob is what this lovely thread deserves

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tusen Takk posted:

why didn't they just not put poison gas in the mines in the first place? seems kinda hosed up to me.yes i know that the gas was not deliberately placed there

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tusen Takk posted:

close

i'm saying that the slow demise of ipad is the first signs of apple's degeneration

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
actually it was the ipod

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
:salt:
:dong:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
oh cool mobile ads blocking

the worst one i've seen is a html5 video ad that literally autoplays with no interaction from users at all when you scroll by, i reloaded the page just to make sure that i didn't accidentally click on anything and it still autoplayed while killing whatever music i had playing

the other ones are those full-page ad-layer that pops up and completely blocks whatever you were trying to read while giving you a tiny tiny x button somewhere on the page that you have to carefully click, any mis-click means you've just clicked on their ad and went to some other terrible page full of ads that'll take ages to load

it's ads all the way down

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i saw an ad with a fake x button that didnt close the ad, just took you to whatever was being advertised

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ads are how we as a society have decided to pay for content. dont block the ads, IMO. just a small thought

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
ad blocking will just lead to ads being embedded in domain of the page you are on

right now you goto theverge.com and load like 15 javascript files from 15 different domains

after ad blocking becomes too popular google etc will make a "cloud acceleration service" or a "website asset pipeliner" or some poo poo that will basically be a reverse web proxy

so theverge.com will actually be hosted by google and will serve out a single /scripts.js with theverges scripts and all 3rd party scripts concatenated

its going to be advertised as a speed up service at first but really its going to be the only way to make money because it bypasses all adblockers

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Perplx posted:

ad blocking will just lead to ads being embedded in domain of the page you are on

right now you goto theverge.com and load like 15 javascript files from 15 different domains

after ad blocking becomes too popular google etc will make a "cloud acceleration service" or a "website asset pipeliner" or some poo poo that will basically be a reverse web proxy

so theverge.com will actually be hosted by google and will serve out a single /scripts.js with theverges scripts and all 3rd party scripts concatenated

its going to be advertised as a speed up service at first but really its going to be the only way to make money because it bypasses all adblockers

simply adblock theverge.com, easy

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
whoops all contactless cards apart from apple pay have these problems

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I am careful in how I use the Internet.

I generally do not connect to web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites I have some special relationship with. I usually fetch web pages from other sites by sending mail to a program (see git://git.gnu.org/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them, much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly. I usually try lynx first, then a graphical browser if the page needs it (using konqueror, which won't fetch from other sites in such a situation).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Perplx posted:

yep, they've already started working on it.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

triple sulk posted:

I am careful in how I use the Internet.

I generally do not connect to web sites from my own machine, aside from a few sites I have some special relationship with. I usually fetch web pages from other sites by sending mail to a program (see git://git.gnu.org/womb/hacks.git) that fetches them, much like wget, and then mails them back to me. Then I look at them using a web browser, unless it is easy to see the text in the HTML page directly. I usually try lynx first, then a graphical browser if the page needs it (using konqueror, which won't fetch from other sites in such a situation).

unironically same

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Perplx posted:

conveniently this will only serve Google ads

wow, I think we just figured out how Google gets its ad revenue groove back.

alternate theory: all mobile web sites will create apps that are just webview wrappers and don't get caught up by the safari content blockers, and if you view the page on a mobile browser you can't get to any content unless you install the app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

alternate theory: all mobile web sites will create apps that are just webview wrappers and don't get caught up by the safari content blockers, and if you view the page on a mobile browser you can't get to any content unless you install the app

yep.

• Locked thread